66 replies to this topic

#21 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

its cos of the pixel shaders. and  there must be a way to disable them, just noones figured it out yet. it might respond to Halo's console commands though...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#22 ViralDoctor

ViralDoctor

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:09 PM

Does holding down 'p' force it to run, like Halo did?

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:54 PM

Now that would be valuable to know.  Someone else was reporting this problem.  Let us know if ViralDoctor's suggestion worked Dark uk.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:02 PM

It doesn't look likely. Stubbs does a deceptively large number of pixel shader operations, full scene, every frame.

...It's a bit surprising, but because the game uses several passes of full screen pixel shaders to actually tweak the scene after it is rendered, it can put a huge strain on the pixel fill rate of the video cards. This wasn't a problem on the Xbox where it was locked to 640x480, but doing 6 passes of a pixel shader on every pixel on the screen in a frame's post-processing adds up computationally very quickly, especially at 1024x786 or higher resolutions. So it's taking every bit of the video card's cycles to keep things running smoothly.
Worg: Final system requirements were released today. Stubbs-related interviews have mentioned AI and other enhancements (over the parent Halo); that accounts for the increased CPU budget when a lot of AIs are in action, perhaps a bit more RAM for caching dialogue, animations and so forth?

Glenda: We did release final system requirements. They are higher than Halo PC & Mac, most particularly in video card. The sheer number of pixel shader operations Stubbs does per frame is staggering, and the older video cards just can't handle them. So we're going with 64mb DX9 level cards as the minimum.

Worg: So no support for the DX8-level GF3/ Radeon 8500?

Glenda: We won't support these older cards unfortunately, due to the amount of pixel shading processing required by Stubbs.
So not only are old cards like the original Radeon not supported, but mid-level cards like the Radeon 8500 and GeForce 3.

Later on it's mentioned that this was not attempted partly for time reasons, so a less stressful, fixed-function rendering path seems plausible to at least hope for in a future patch technology value-add. For now, tho, older cards are unsupported, and likely simply won't run. Unlike Mac Halo, there simply is no fixed-function rendering path to fall back to, at least at present.

http://www.wideloadg...05/glenda1.html & following

#25 ravenpen

ravenpen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:14 AM

Having a blast playing Stubbs.  So far my favorite part of the game has been creating and managing the zombie hordes.  Itís a skill I've become very adept at  being that Iím playing it on Nightmare and without a good deal of backup youíre pretty much screwed.

I wasnít going to start with the hardest setting but after reading some reviews I thought it would be a good way to counteract the short length of the game, which seems to be the only major gripe Iíve seen about it.

My second favorite bit is definitely hand possession.  Letís you get in a little old school shooter action and has actually made for some of the tensest moments in the game so far.

Just finished the dance contest, which took forever, but was a lot of fun.  I thought the danceable versions of some of the 50ís covers were kinda cool.  Wonder if a remix album is in the works ;-).

At any rate, I think itís a really clever, highly enjoyable game thus far and I look forward to finishing it and seeing what other innovative titles Wideload and Aspyr come out with.
Raven's Tales - A Repository of Thoughts, Yarns and Stories

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:13 PM

There is a Stubbs the Zombie Soundtrack available for the game.  When I bought the music CD it had a coupon for 5 bucks towards the game.  So somebody who plans to get both should think about purchasing the soundtrack first.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:31 PM

My copy just arrived this afternoon. I must say that I'm rather enjoying the detailed environments, a great soundtrack and the brains.  

the Battle Cat, on December 2nd 2005, 04:49 PM, said:

Unrelated to this.  Has anybody tried a jump-eat?  You get an entirely new eat animation where you wrestle the victim to the ground to eat their brains.  Very cool.

View Post

I think I've managed to pull one off.  Lots of fun.

WSTE_M, on December 2nd 2005, 05:21 PM, said:

Widescreen resolution ??
I know that I know the word fro the recent interview was "NO!" but maybe ???

W

View Post

There is an option for 1440x960 in the advanced options menu (by holding down the command key).

#28 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:58 PM

Okay - Well, I have played this game now, after posting this thread.  Other people, from reading this thread seemed to enjoy it.  I however didn't.  Infact, I think that this is the worst game I have ever played, atleast in a long time.  I would rather play Breakout on an Atari 2600 than play this game again.  

I am going to say that this game SUCKS.  

Sucks, sucks, sucks.  Every aspect.

1.  The story line sucks.  What the hell is going on in this punchbowl city?  When I first heard that it was gonig to be in the 50s, I thought that was really cool and original.   But what the hell is with the ugly robots, and the landspeeder cars?  Terrible idea.  

2.  Graphics are BAD.   I have a Dual 2 G5 w/256Mac SE card.  The graphics blow.  I realize that the zombie is supposed to be limping, but it sucks - the game is slow, and studders.

3.  It seems like you press the letter 'E' for every command that you want to do! What the hell is that about?  You can't do things when you want to unless you are situated as such.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

4. Did I mention that the plot of the whole story sucks?  And it is far too easy.  Yes, you can bump it up in difficulty, but on regular and hard, it's not even worth playing - there is no challenge.  Hell, there's no challenge anyways.  Terrible game.  

5.  I didn't even know what I was supposed to be doing!  I was eating people's brains.  So, there was nothing for me to do otherwise.  And the audio!  The sudio sound bytes kept on looping  - very tiring.  Very old.  Very quick.  It sounded like the same dude every time.  

The game as a whole sucks.  

I would only recommend this game who has $40 bucks to blow, who doesn't care about any kind of a story, doesn't care about game play, or graphics, and has a bunch of time to waste.

This game BLOWS!

I thought that this game has a lot of potential.  It failed miserably.

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:03 AM

So, what do you REALLY think about it?  :D

Has anybody noticed that the game limits you to a specific number of zombies to control?  If you create too many, they all won't come to you when you whistle.  Is this a bug or is the game purposefully limiting you?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:12 AM

the Battle Cat, on December 23rd 2005, 09:03 AM, said:

So, what do you REALLY think about it?† :D

I thought it BLEW!  

This  is just .... aw, read my above post!!

#31 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:57 AM

Maybe a short list of your 'games that don't blow' would help others to know your tastes and perhaps base a purchase decision on?

#32 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:00 AM

Batcat, on December 23rd 2005, 09:57 AM, said:

Maybe a short list of your 'games that don't blow' would help others to know your tastes and perhaps base a purchase decision on?

View Post

Perhaps, but this thread was a STUBBS the ZOMBIE review thread... and I was posting my review.

#33 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:04 PM

to address your first point... you do realise that punchbowl is a city of the future in the 50s, from the 50s point of view... have you seen space 1999, where they actually thought it was plausible that in 1999 people would be living on the moon, and our nuclear waste would be dumped there... Stubbs is a satirical take on the 50s ideas of the future... obviously its taking the mickey, hence the "ugly robots" and "landspeeder cars".

Also, what 256mb Mac SE graphics card are we talking about here? the full screen pixel shaders to give the game a distinct grainy old film look are intensive, meaning that the game is very graphically intensive, despite the seeming "bad" graphics... Also, its based on the Halo engine, which doesnt run particularly well on macs or PCs anyway.

seems to me that the "E" key is a context sensitive key. a very common device used in numerous games, but primarily in console games... which is what stubbs is... it was developed on xbox and the PC and mac versions were kept up to date with it code wise etc.

and with regards to the sound bites, theres meant to be a lot of recorded sounds... obviously, theyre used in context by the game, and there will be a limited number of people used to record all the sounds... but thats how the game industry works...

a common criticism of the game in the media is that it gets very samey towards the end... all you do is eat people... but then in shooters, all you do is shoot people.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. youve expressed yours, i hope ive helped to undermine them :P
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#34 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:45 PM

NeverFade, on December 22nd 2005, 11:58 PM, said:

Infact, I think that this is the worst game I have ever played, atleast in a long time.

View Post

Wow, you must not play very many games then.

I find Stubbs to be extremely entertaining.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#35 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:26 PM

The iMac Man, on December 23rd 2005, 12:45 PM, said:

Wow, you must not play very many games then.

I find Stubbs to be extremely entertaining.

View Post

No, I don't play a lot of games.  All the shooters I played and enjoyed.  (ie:Doom, Castle Wolfenstein, CoD ) I liked Midnight Mansion, I loved Mummy Maze, Diablo I and II were excellent  WarCraft, TrueCrime I liked, Sims 2 is very fun...  but this game IMO, was terrible.  Glad I didn't buy it...

I don't have any consoles - because I would waste too much $$ and time on them as well.

#36 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:32 PM

teflon, on December 23rd 2005, 11:04 AM, said:

to address your first point... you do realise that punchbowl is a city of the future in the 50s, from the 50s point of view... have you seen space 1999, where they actually thought it was plausible that in 1999 people would be living on the moon, and our nuclear waste would be dumped there... Stubbs is a satirical take on the 50s ideas of the future... obviously its taking the mickey, hence the "ugly robots" and "landspeeder cars".

Also, what 256mb Mac SE graphics card are we talking about here? the full screen pixel shaders to give the game a distinct grainy old film look are intensive, meaning that the game is very graphically intensive, despite the seeming "bad" graphics... Also, its based on the Halo engine, which doesnt run particularly well on macs or PCs anyway.

seems to me that the "E" key is a context sensitive key. a very common device used in numerous games, but primarily in console games... which is what stubbs is... it was developed on xbox and the PC and mac versions were kept up to date with it code wise etc.

and with regards to the sound bites, theres meant to be a lot of recorded sounds... obviously, theyre used in context by the game, and there will be a limited number of people used to record all the sounds... but thats how the game industry works...

a common criticism of the game in the media is that it gets very samey towards the end... all you do is eat people... but then in shooters, all you do is shoot people.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. youve expressed yours, i hope ive helped to undermine them :P

View Post

1. Yes, I do realize the satire of the game set in the future.   To me, it's a bad idea.  I know that the robots were supposed to look like Rhoda from the Jetsons, but terrible idea. - Just M.O.

2. I don't think you are understanding what I meant about the E key.  Could be any key for that matter, but it is a key for many different actions, and you have to be in the right area/veiwing angle to do different things.  Should've had differnet keys for differnt actions is what  Iwas saying.

Okay ... my rant is done.

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:42 PM

If you want to immortalize your rant, you can post it at WideloadGames.org.  Check out the User Review Guidelines.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:54 PM

NeverFade, on December 23rd 2005, 02:26 PM, said:

TrueCrime I liked

View Post

You're pretty much alone in that opinion as well.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#39 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

I'm considering getting Stubbs, but I'm not sure how it will run on my Rev A iMac G5. My graphics card barely meets the requirements. Has anybody with an iMac G5 with a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card tested out this game. When it comes to graphics, I'm not picky, as long as I can run it at widescreen resolutions, and get it to run at a consistent frame rate so it isn't visibly choppy.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#40 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 12:07 PM

The iMac Man, on December 23rd 2005, 01:54 PM, said:

You're pretty much alone in that opinion as well.

View Post

Yeah, when it comes to True Crime: it's not the best game, hard to control the cars... but it is 100% better than ths game.

Indiana Jones, for me, was the best game I have played to date hands down of any video game.  But that's besides the point.  

And I'm not alone with the thought of Stubbs being a bad game.  There have been, however a lot of praise for it.  That's the part that's boogling to me.  But, to each his own.