66 replies to this topic

#1 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:31 PM

I thought by now I'd hear lots of the game on the forums here, but no one really has mentinoed it.   I myself have not bought this game, but am curious to know how people have liked it - not liked it - in a sense their own reviews.  

IMG has not reviewed this game as of yet.. so to all of you who have purchased this game, please write a little if you can.

Thanks!   :)

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

IMG has previewed Stubbs.   There are 5 pages of search results on Stubbs.  It's not as ignored as you'd think.  For one thing it is just now shipping on the Mac.  I got the game late yesterday via pre-order.  I didn't even have time to play it until today.  I've gotten a ways into it and although coming from me this is all you would expect me to say, I like it.  I admit I'm biased.  I very much like Wideload and Aspyr as companies.

It does have some problems though.  It wasn't saving my keyboard control changes so now I'm playing it on default.  But worse than that, it wouldn't let me use some important keypad keys much like the first version of Halo.  It took forever to start up the first time.  I don't seem to have a serial number although the game didn't ask me for one.

But on the good side, I think the game will have a LOT of re-playability.  It hasn't crashed or done anything wonky while playing.  It is plenty funny, I missed a lot of hucks just being too involved in the game.  I have to go back next time, especially in the Mall there was a lot of humor there, and just listen and read the signs.  I wish I could whistle my zombies all to go in a direction instead of just to me and stop.  Pushing them one by one isn't very effective.  I was making an effort to use my zombies as strategically as possible.  It is the strategy of each fight that will make the game re-playable.  You have lots of options.  Often you become so embroiled in a melee that strategy is out the door and it's: hit, run, duck, jump, run, hit, eat, run, fart, eat eat eat, run, gut bomb, duck, hit, run, hit, eat as all hell is busting out around you.

Using the hand is very cool and if you are careful you can keep your possessed gunman alive for a while.  The problem with that is, although it is extremely effective, it won't give you zombies for your hoard.  They stay dead, killed by natural means.  So it is a trade off, making it a balanced game.  Wideload is good about balancing the strengths with weaknesses and about giving you a variety of weapons and options for fighting skirmishes.

The vehicles are easy to drive like Halo vehicles.  I must have mowed down a hundred people in an Impala or a sod-o-mobile.  

Good game, but I'm not that far into it and can't really give a full report.  Thankfully I was able to skip the dance contest as I totally sucked at it.  Absolutely and completely sucked, I never would have made it past the level.

PS:  Gotta move this topic into the "Action and Arcade" forum.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

Unfortunately the subject matter of Stubbs does not appeal to me. By their nature, zombies are mindless, controlled by others. So I don't get Stubbs as I don't get the animated corpses of the Undead in WoW. I realize zombies and the Undead are animated for different reasons (what ever they are) but they belong in the ground. :)

-Hunt'n

#4 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:16 AM

Stubbs is cool, but so far these are my major annoyances:

It's confusing some times to figure out where to go next.

Jumping is INSANE!  The zombies still have the Halo jumping abilities, and since they walk so slowly, I often find myself jumping to move along faster.  My friend  and I were playing Co-Op and both of us were hopping along... it was hilarious, like a couple zombie-frogs.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#5 gromit

gromit

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:41 PM

Just finished the game.  It had a couple of good laughs in it, and a few chuckles here and there, but there were long stretches in between, and more than a few jokes that fell flat.

My ultimate judgment is that the game is pretty uneven.  Some levels are visually interesting and some, particularly the farm, look like something out of an amateur mod.  The connection between 50's sci-fi and zombie movies felt kind of strained.  The hover cars, robots, and jetpacks are overkill, though the retro-futuristic weapons used by the scientists are brilliantly realized -- these things just belong in a straight-up sci-fi game.  I would have preferred for a zombie game to stick closer to the spirit of the source material, I think.

I played the game on Hard difficulty, and overall it was pretty easy.  As for replay value, I don't really feel compelled to play the game again.  To each his own, I guess.

#6 Michael Yanovich

Michael Yanovich

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:03 AM

I'm loving the game, about 80% of the way through (I think). Had a blast with the dance contest, was a nice change of pace. As for the farm, it was one of my favorite levels, actually. Come on, for the first time, you get to run through tall corn fields and you're the guy they're trying to hide from, not the other way around. Clever reversal, I really enjoyed it.

Game is total camp. Very entertaining. Just a little on the short side, I'd love to see an expansion pack.

#7 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:25 AM

the Battle Cat, on November 30th 2005, 08:57 PM, said:

But on the good side, I think the game will have a LOT of re-playability.  It hasn't crashed or done anything wonky while playing.  It is plenty funny, I missed a lot of hucks just being too involved in the game.  I have to go back next time, especially in the Mall there was a lot of humor there, and just listen and read the signs.  I wish I could whistle my zombies all to go in a direction instead of just to me and stop.  Pushing them one by one isn't very effective.  I was making an effort to use my zombies as strategically as possible.  It is the strategy of each fight that will make the game re-playable.  You have lots of options.  Often you become so embroiled in a melee that strategy is out the door and it's: hit, run, duck, jump, run, hit, eat, run, fart, eat eat eat, run, gut bomb, duck, hit, run, hit, eat as all hell is busting out around you.
Cool. Replay value is subjective, but I like the sound of it so far.

The vehicles are easy to drive like Halo vehicles.  I must have mowed down a hundred people in an Impala or a sod-o-mobile.
:)  

Good game, but I'm not that far into it and can't really give a full report.  Thankfully I was able to skip the dance contest as I totally sucked at it.  Absolutely and completely sucked, I never would have made it past the level.
Try. You can bust-a-zombie-move if you keep at it.

But... the graphics! Glenda said how subtle all that intense post-processing shader work would give the game a more subtle glow feel than on Xbox... you're running high-end, how's it look? Teh Smooth? Subtly noirish?

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:14 AM

Batcat, on December 2nd 2005, 06:25 AM, said:

Cool. Replay value is subjective, but I like the sound of it so far.
:)   
I've finished the game.  I'm replaying it.  "Subjective" just made it into the realm of reality for one person.

Try. You can bust-a-zombie-move if you keep at it.
Maybe this second time.  Maybe.

But... the graphics! Glenda said how subtle all that intense post-processing shader work would give the game a more subtle glow feel than on Xbox... you're running high-end, how's it look? Teh Smooth? Subtly noirish?

View Post

I don't have anything to compare it to.  It looks good to me running at 1280x1024.  Bringing up the startup dialog doesn't have the same features of Halo.  You can set your monitor refresh rate, resolution, toggle windowed mode, multiple monitors select button, checkbox to bring the dialog up every time.  No messing with the pretty.

The game did not preclude the possibility of a sequel.  Hopefully we will see one.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:41 AM

gromit, on December 1st 2005, 12:41 PM, said:

Just finished the game.  It had a couple of good laughs in it, and a few chuckles here and there, but there were long stretches in between, and more than a few jokes that fell flat.

My ultimate judgment is that the game is pretty uneven.  Some levels are visually interesting and some, particularly the farm, look like something out of an amateur mod.  The connection between 50's sci-fi and zombie movies felt kind of strained.  The hover cars, robots, and jetpacks are overkill, though the retro-futuristic weapons used by the scientists are brilliantly realized -- these things just belong in a straight-up sci-fi game.  I would have preferred for a zombie game to stick closer to the spirit of the source material, I think.

I played the game on Hard difficulty, and overall it was pretty easy.  As for replay value, I don't really feel compelled to play the game again.  To each his own, I guess.

View Post

Thanks to all who have written.  It seems like it's a little bit better than fair in most people's minds.  

I might have to give it a whirl after Christmas...

#10 gromit

gromit

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

Michael Yanovich, on December 2nd 2005, 03:03 AM, said:

I'm loving the game, about 80% of the way through (I think). Had a blast with the dance contest, was a nice change of pace. As for the farm, it was one of my favorite levels, actually. Come on, for the first time, you get to run through tall corn fields and you're the guy they're trying to hide from, not the other way around. Clever reversal, I really enjoyed it.

Game is total camp. Very entertaining. Just a little on the short side, I'd love to see an expansion pack.

View Post

The farm just felt the least real to me, out of all the levels.  The rows of corn were too straight, the surrounding areas too empty, the layout too arbitrary.  And, at least until I got my hands on the tractor, I was the one hiding from all those militiamen with shotguns.

The concept of the farm wasn't bad.  It was the execution.  And once you get to the farmhouse it starts to seem right, especially since that is the part of the game that is the most faithful to movies like Night of the Living Dead (theadbare hillbilly stereotyping aside).

#11 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

gromit, on December 2nd 2005, 01:14 PM, said:

The concept of the farm wasn't bad.  It was the execution.  And once you get to the farmhouse it starts to seem right, especially since that is the part of the game that is the most faithful to movies like Night of the Living Dead (theadbare hillbilly stereotyping aside).

View Post

There was a LOT of stereotyping in the game.  From the militia being nothing but stupid hillbillies when the militia is actually all American males between the age if 18 and 45, to females being nothing but helpless, screaming, big breasted objects when actually they don't all have big breasts, to the fat donut slurping cops to the inept army to the traveling salesman "lore" to the billionaire Andrew Monday being an empty suit to the hovering cars as icons of the future and so on and so on.  They went out of their way to use stereotyping as a matter of style in the game.  So it's not like they are singling out country folk to ridicule, they made fun of everybody and everything.

That aside, it looks like they did design that farm without thinking of how it would actually work.  But it's a zombie game, not Corn Tycoon, and I was very grateful for the corn field that I could lurk in and bust out of to take someone by surprise.  I was a real boogieman in that map.

Unrelated to this.  Has anybody tried a jump-eat?  You get an entirely new eat animation where you wrestle the victim to the ground to eat their brains.  Very cool.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#12 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

Widescreen resolution ??
I know that I know the word fro the recent interview was "NO!" but maybe ???

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#13 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:09 PM

gromit, on December 2nd 2005, 04:14 PM, said:

The rows of corn were too straight...

View Post

I grew up surrounded by corn fields... you'd be surprised how straight they are in real life.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#14 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:55 AM

I picked up the game and it's a blast so far.  I recall Glenda mentioning in an interview that they didn't included FSAA for various reasons but you can use ATI Displays and to enable FSAA and AF.  FSAA makes a very noticeable difference, especially with the games grainy filter.  1024x768 with 6xFSAA looks fantastic.  5.1 audio kicks butt too.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#15 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:41 AM

WSTE_M, on December 2nd 2005, 05:21 PM, said:

Widescreen resolution ??
I know that I know the word fro the recent interview was "NO!" but maybe ???

W
As I recall, the word from the Worg interview was basically 'later, in a patch.' Also some unnamed technology-adds.

#16 gromit

gromit

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

The iMac Man, on December 2nd 2005, 07:09 PM, said:

I grew up surrounded by corn fields... you'd be surprised how straight they are in real life.

View Post

I don't want to get into a big argument over a minor detail, but you sure couldn't see clearly from one end of the row down to the other in any of the fields where I've picked corn.

#17 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:44 PM

Batcat, on December 3rd 2005, 11:41 AM, said:

As I recall, the word from the Worg interview was basically 'later, in a patch.' Also some unnamed technology-adds.

View Post

Ha! accually I just found out, the game supports widesceen resolution from the box!!!
man I gotha buy the game on monday...

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#18 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:02 AM

Something else I haven't seen mentioned in reviews, but which single-handedly raises the game's entertainment value by about 1 of 10 stars:

two words:  partial zombies.
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:39 AM

Yeah!  And Stubbs is aware of them too.  If you shove a partial zombie, the animation is different.  He knows to kick it out of the way like the crawling bag of organs that it is.  They remind me of Unreal, there is this one race of aliens that get blown apart but still come crawling after you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:43 AM

Just incase anyone who this might concern dosnt know this, you need a 9500 or better to run the game. I found it out the hard way by trying to launch the game then saying I need a better video card. My fault though, altohugh I never take game requirments seriously as Ive played several games perfectly that apparently wouldnt run on my Mac.