254 replies to this topic

#241 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:53 PM

And why should a game necessarily cost $5-$10 million.........? How much of that is actually spent on game development and how much goes toward things like an accounting department, "professional" beta testers, an IMC division, etc.
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#242 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:10 PM

Say you have 100 full-time members of the production team, $50,000 a year, for 1.5 years...what does that get you?  Yes, you need that many people, and yes, you have to pay most of them at least that much...we're talking AAA here, right?

--Eric

#243 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

Well, to make a triple A title that can hold up to the competitors nowadays, you have to invest a lot of money: countless modellers, animators, voice actors, motion capturing actors, all the required equipment for this, sound designer, music composers, a complete orchestra from time to time...

Take a look a the credits of some more recent games. They are almost as long as the end titles of a few movies (although not quite of the LotR dimensions yet).

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#244 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

Both Valve worked on HL2 and Bethesda worked on Oblivion for 4+ years. You know that costs a fortune.

#245 Stradivis

Stradivis

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:04 AM

View PostIchigo27, on October 9th 2006, 09:43 PM, said:

I suggest you  should pick up Resistance: Fall of Man.  ;)

Seems nice, but CoD3 looks better. Let them roll out.
:happy:

Also, let's not forget about the principle that people buy consoles based on what they want to play. if you want Mario, go for a Cube/Wii. Want Halo? Xbox all the way. Oh, wait, you love Gran Turismo? PS2/3.
So, as long as we stand with the banner "You want to play late and crappy, get a mac", it'll be hard to change thinks.
You have to invest, always.
Create the hype, then sell like water.

Just an idea…
;)
Goede, de bussen is groot!

#246 kraken

kraken

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

View Postedddeduck, on October 10th 2006, 04:30 AM, said:

Damn Straight,  :lol:  finished the coin-op version of bubble bobble the other day with my girlfriend, amazing how you can lose loads of time and have fun without the latest pixel shaders and sound effects. Just proves as people have said in this thread games need fun before they need pixel shaders.

Cheers,
Edwin
I have been thinking about this lately. I have only recently hopped aboard the Mac train and, while I am not a really big gamer, I have always enjoyed fast-paced and fun games such as Super Smash Brothers, Wario's Warehouse (I believe that to be the title) and similar titles generally on Nintendo platforms. Having largely given up on large scale games in general (for lack of time and interest, I would say), I do think that there is an interesting, if underdeveloped, shareware market for Mac games. Unfortunately, I would have to agree that many of the games I see are rushed clones priced at or near a hefty $20-$30. However, I think there is a very high potential for the right ideas to turn into successful shareware games.

Stream of thought aside, I believe that a large enough number of these unexpected hits could generate enough interest from those large third-party groups who would not otherwise have considered releasing for the Mac as a worthwhile venture. Well, it would certainly have more of an effect than me whining. :P

#247 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

View PostStradivis, on October 18th 2006, 09:04 AM, said:

Seems nice, but CoD3 looks better. Let them roll out.
:happy:

I can see it now, CoD3 multiplayer but only up to 12-24 players online, lots of lag, disconnects. If I want to play call of duty with different levels then I will stick with CoD3. But if I want a different fps experience alongside with multiplayer including 20-40 player count online I will stick with Resistance: Fall of Man . :P

View PostStradivis, on October 18th 2006, 09:04 AM, said:

Also, let's not forget about the principle that people buy consoles based on what they want to play. if you want Mario, go for a Cube/Wii. Want Halo? Xbox all the way. Oh, wait, you love Gran Turismo? PS2/3.
So, as long as we stand with the banner "You want to play late and crappy, get a mac", it'll be hard to change thinks.
You have to invest, always.
Create the hype, then sell like water.

It's sad that people who are average gamers buy a console just for halo or gran turismo, when theirs many more games to be played other then those crapy ones.
What is a man?

#248 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

Ichigo, you just don't understand console gaming. Its all part of the FUN, putting $700 down just to..... race... a..... I've a suggestion: take the $700 and use that as a down payment on a real car. Much more fun.
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#249 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, I've never bought a racing game, and never saw the point, you wanna' drive a car? Hop in your own, and get onto the freeway.  :crazy:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#250 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

Totaling your car is so much more fun on the computer though.  It's a lot harder to break every bone in your body too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#251 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Well, I think one point to getting a racing game is...to...I dunno, race maybe?  You can't do that in real life, at least not without the risk of getting arrested or spending the bucks to go to a track, if you happen to live near one that is.  Plus it causes less pollution and you have a very small chance of getting hit by an actual car in the process.  (Though not 0%...there was that guy a while ago who was sitting in his bedroom watching TV when some crazy and probably drunk person managed to flip her car through his roof.)

--Eric

#252 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:43 AM

And that's exactly the reason you should NEVER watch TV while wearing dirty underpants.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#253 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:07 AM

View PostAskilfeasd, on October 30th 2006, 10:38 PM, said:

Yeah, I've never bought a racing game, and never saw the point, you wanna' drive a car? Hop in your own, and get onto the freeway.  :crazy:

I don't like racing games too much, but some of the races in GTA3 were pretty fun! Nothing like cruising through a city, whipping on the hand break to turn the corner, and cutting off your opponents. Pretty intense fun :)

#254 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on October 31st 2006, 09:07 AM, said:

I don't like racing games too much, but some of the races in GTA3 were pretty fun! Nothing like cruising through a city, whipping on the hand break to turn the corner, and cutting off your opponents. Pretty intense fun :)

Parking a big old truck infront of the other cars works fine as well  :) , you used to be able to rocket launch them as well but I think in the final version you fail if you blow them up before the start....

Still I prefered the art of "Tank Jumping" to the races :) Nothing better than jumping entire buildings in a tank....

Edwin

#255 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

It's fun to ride up one of those car carrier trucks in a motorcycle, then drive off, if you can do it right, you can land far enough ahead of the truck that you won't get hit, ahh, GTA is so fun.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.