254 replies to this topic

#1 Yixian

Yixian

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:28 AM

Is it just me or have we seen pretty much nothing noteworthy to be released for the Mac since World of Warcraft? In fact, you only need to flick back a couple of pages on the review archive and you're seeing games like Warcraft 3 and freaking, Deus Ex. What's more, now looking at it, the bulk of Macintosh game reviews around seem to be for quick little amatuer shareware products...

Like the guy said in the post about FPSs, it's enough to make you wanna buy an Xbox 360.

Any idea when/if the Mac will climb out of this gaming black hole?

#2 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:38 AM

What about the sims, roller-coaster tycoon, and Stubs the zombie? Are those not noteworthy?

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#3 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:03 AM

For various reasons it's a relatively fallow period in Mac gaming- Havok, Gamespy, the state of OpenGL and hardware power vs. price, etc. Too bad it seems to be peaking during the Xmas rush, when the other side, Xbox and PC are releasing their biggest games.

You can still find worthwhile gaming if you look, but it's more difficult. This might be a good time to try out new genres, mods, replay old favorites... branch out. Many look for an upswing with the advent of the MacIntels. Aspyr promises a few goodies, even if a couple won't be seen until MWSF, too late for the holidays. Might be a good subject for a feature IMG article.

#4 flargh

flargh

Macworld Magazine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:13 AM

Yixian, on November 26th 2005, 05:28 AM, said:

Is it just me or have we seen pretty much nothing noteworthy to be released for the Mac since World of Warcraft? ... Any idea when/if the Mac will climb out of this gaming black hole?

View Post

When people start buying them.
Peter Cohen, pcohen@macworld.com
Senior Editor, Macworld.com News
Columnist, Macworld "Game Room"

#5 Inali

Inali

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:59 AM

I remember a time when the best game on the mac was medal of honor and I was content with having that. There wasn't even a real mmorpg until shadowbane came out, and when a mmo came out for mac that was just unreal, now we have WoW and you complain? Also we have a lot of crazy things that cannot be predicted in the future of mac gaming. If you want to have access to all the pc games get a pc, if you want a nice computer that runs some of the best aplications in a decent os while at the same time have access to a limited game pool get a mac or get both. Or get an xbox, I don't really think you can compare mac gaming to an xbox btw it is a totally different beast.

Oh also I was going to get an xbox 360 but the release games are just poor, and I am a mac gamer go figure.

#6 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:51 PM

This is why I bought a PC.  I would gladly purchase, and have purchased Mac games when they are out.  I gladly purchase faster video cards, more memory, bigger HD, and gaming devices like my speed-pad (N52) to play these games.  However, because there not coming out to the Mac, there comes a point at which one can't simply just wait, or take it anymore.  There are more then enough games that we will never see, or ever even know exists.  

As I see it, OpenGL on the Mac is the only thing left to fix before we can have a serious gaming computer.  That lies with Apple of course.  Or some venturing programer with time to spare on fixing it.  Our hardware is fine.  Has been fine for at least 3 years now.  So, that is no longer an excuse to me.  I also don't want an Xbox, nor a PC for that matter.  But, there the only other options I have if I want to play games.  Heck, an Xbox 360 has more in common with a G5 tower then a PC does.  And we can't game?  

Of course if more people bought Mac's that would bring more games over to the platform.  But, this is a catch-22.  If there is nothing compelling to lure people over to the Mac, then there will be no games.  Games tend to be compelling.  It makes people buy Xbox's and PlayStations.  So, it does work if you had the games to get people over.  There are no Mac only or Mac first games anymore.  Halo, could have and should have been Mac only and or Mac first.  From the get go, it could have been that golden or killer app that was only on the Mac.  From there, other games could have been made to do the same.  

Either-way, it doesn't matter anymore.  This war is lost as well.  I gave in and got a PC to game on.  

Sorry for the rant

#7 Inali

Inali

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

The thing is for me, world of warcraft is the #1 game out on all platforms, was a multiplatform release, and we have it, I don't think this has ever happened in the history of mac gaming. So I can't complain. I mean at the moment almost all of my pc gamer friends play nothing but world of warcraft, and before this all they played was Shadowbane, so as you can see the world of pc gaming and mac gaming is still kinda on the same par. We just don't get tossed the massive amounts of crap that pc users get. Games get released on PC, if they suck then they definitely won't get ported, so atleast we get the good stuff.

The only reason I game on a mac is because I use the mac OS and certain mac graphics programs etc. for work. Soon enough I will have a PC mega machine so then I can play games not available for the mac. The best thing ever would be if you could run osx 100% on the best pcs out there, but hey who knows what will happen with this Mactel stuff about to happen.

#8 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:54 PM

flargh, on November 26th 2005, 06:13 AM, said:

When people start buying them.

View Post

That and Apple improving OpenGL. Yet  Apple improving OpenGL seems more like a dream then a reality.
What is a man?

#9 Yixian

Yixian

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:20 AM

But why should we settl with poor gaming when it is completely with an Apples ability to sort the entire problem it pretty much instantly.

1) Buy out someon like Aspyr so that you can invest in things like Havok. Then fund the "studio" so that it can pump out tons of ports.

2) Fix OpenGL, it's not impossible it just needs to be DONE.

3) Allow for the switching of GFX cards. This just simply must be done if consumer Macs are going to remain appealing to people.

#10 Ledorax

Ledorax

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:41 AM

What's wrong with open gl? It works for me.

There doesn't seem to be many interesting games released for PC either, so that could be one reason. They could still port older games, though.

#11 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:54 AM

Yixian, on November 27th 2005, 03:20 AM, said:

2) Fix OpenGL, it's not impossible it just needs to be DONE.

View Post

That's nearly 3 posts in a row complaining about this. Do you guys have a specific problem or did someone tell you OpenGL was broken and you're on here repeating it without any basis in fact?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#12 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:13 AM

Yixian, on November 26th 2005, 03:28 AM, said:

Is it just me or have we seen pretty much nothing noteworthy to be released for the Mac since World of Warcraft?

View Post

I'd say it's just you. ;-) Since WoW was released last November:

Doom 3
Star Wars Battlefront
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Lego Star Wars
Tiger Woods 2005
Sims 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
Stubbs the Zombie

Those are just the Aspyr-related titles I can think of off the top of my head. Four of the 8 are shooters. I know Feral has had a number of releases as well as MacSoft (including Close Combat, a near-simultaneously released shooter).
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#13 Dr.FeierWeier

Dr.FeierWeier

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:24 AM

Brad Oliver, on November 27th 2005, 01:13 PM, said:

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

View Post

Ich hope Aspyr keeps in mind that ET: Quake Wars will be released 2006 for the PC. :whistling:  :happy:  
Afaik, it uses a modified version of Doom 3 engine together with a so called mega texture engine.  
Please make it real  :blush:  :D

#14 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:05 AM

I would not describe Mac gaming as a black hole. Until the last 3 months, it seemed to be rolling right along and overall, it's better than at any time in the past.

Reality check- Most people don't buy Macs primarily for gaming. You all know the reason why. Those reasons have been discussed over and over. I think it's safe to say, we use a Mac because of the MacOS. Look at my hardware. I use my Macs every day for 99.5% of the important computer tasks I do. If your a casual gamer, most likely your happy with the Mac, unless an important game has not been ported. The problem is magnified if you are or become a HARD CORE gamer. Then the Mac mostly likely will not satisfy you. I have to admit, all though I originally I got a PC for some work related issues, I really have it so I can play the good games that don't make it to the Mac. All though, I'm not currently playing any games on my PC, I pick at F.E.A.R. every so often and am about half way through Half Life 2 for the second time. World of Warcraft appearing on the Mac was one of the happiest moments of my gaming life because I travel a lot and can play when stuck somewhere in a hotel room. :D

So everyone has to decide, are the games on the Mac enough or is a consol/PC in your future? If you have not noticed, consols are taking over the world and my impression is that even PC game titles are loosing out to them.

Now things may be a chang'n with Intel Macs on the horizon. This could be why there is a present lull. Dual boot Macs may appear. But I'll be a party pooper and say that even if that happens, if the price of Macs don't  come down, it still might be less expensive to own your Mac and have a consol or a secondary gaming PC. My reasoning? As long as you can buy a decent PC gaming machine for $850, why buy a new iMac for $1500 or a new G5 for $2100 every 3 years just to play games? (Upgrading a Mac for work is a different issue). The future is unwritten so fingers crossed for a healthy Mac gaming future.

-Hunt'n

#15 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:17 AM

I play Mac games. A lot.

#16 Yixian

Yixian

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:40 AM

Ok maybe I was exaggerating, but Im just so pissed that Apple won't fix what is so easily fixable.

#17 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

You're just so clueless... :rolleyes:

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17434 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:16 AM

Yixian, on November 27th 2005, 02:20 AM, said:

1) Buy out someon like Aspyr so that you can invest in things like Havok. Then fund the "studio" so that it can pump out tons of ports.

View Post

NooooOOOOoooOOOoooOOOOOooooo!!!!  Apple, you'd better keep your grubby dew hooks off of Aspyr!  Jobs would gut the soul out of my favorite gaming company like it was a chicken in an whirling evisceration machine.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:11 PM

Yixian, on November 27th 2005, 08:40 AM, said:

Ok maybe I was exaggerating, but Im just so pissed that Apple won't fix what is so easily fixable.

View Post

Admittedly I spent a large amount of my time programming in OpenGL, so maybe I'm missing the forest for the trees, but I don't buy the argument that OpenGL is horribly broken or that there is something to Apple's implementation that is easily fixed.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#20 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

Yixian, on November 27th 2005, 05:20 AM, said:

the Battle Cat, on November 27th 2005, 11:16 AM, said:

NooooOOOOoooOOOoooOOOOOooooo!!!!  Apple, you'd better keep your grubby dew hooks off of Aspyr!  Jobs would gut the soul out of my favorite gaming company like it was a chicken in an whirling evisceration machine.
If folks are dreaming and think that Steve really cares a lot about gaming, why not dream that he buys Havok and Gamespy to effectively eliminate the middleware issue?

But no; Woz probably did kick his ass at Pong a few times too many, and this'll remain a pipe dream.