#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:59 AM

Right now, I am a L54 hunter, specced in Beast Mastery and a newb in Battlegrounds/pvp. I plan on respeccing soon and was wondering how do high level hunters feel about Beast Mastery vs Marksmanship and Survival for PvP? Is there any place in PvP for Beast Mastery?

My bane is rogues and mages (who surprise me) in PvP, specifically Arathi Basin.

Scattershot dazzes a target for 4 seconds. How important is Scattershot for self defense in PvP? Can it be used at point blank range? I'm thinking of being assaulted by a rogue.

I've read that a hunter can feign death (removing them from combat) and then set a trap. If this works it seems like it would be excellent for self defense. Anyone with experience doing this?

Here are two Hunter builds, the First relying heavily on your pet, the Second relying mostly on yourself. Note- some adjustments would have to be made to the second build to fit Scatter shot in.
Any opinions appreciated!

Hunter Talents
Minimum Required Level: 60
Required Talent Points: 51

1.Emphasis on Pet:
Beast Mastery Talents -  31 points

Improved Aspect of the Hawk - rank 5/5
Endurance Training - rank 5/5
Thick Hide - rank 3/3
Bestial Swiftness - rank 1/1
Unleashed Fury - rank 5/5
Ferocity - rank 5/5
Intimidation - rank 1/1
Frenzy - rank 5/5
Bestial Wrath - rank 1/1

Marksmanship Talents -  20 points

Improved Concussive Shot - rank 5/5
Improved Hunter's Mark - rank 1/5
Lethal Shots - rank 5/5
Aimed Shot - rank 1/1
Hawk Eye - rank 3/3
Mortal Shots - rank 5/5

2. Emphasis on Self:

Beast Mastery Talents -  10 points

Improved Aspect of the Hawk - rank 5/5
Endurance Training - rank 5/5

Marksmanship Talents -  20 points

Improved Concussive Shot - rank 5/5
Improved Hunter's Mark - rank 2/5
Lethal Shots - rank 5/5
Aimed Shot - rank 1/1
Hawk Eye - rank 2/3
Mortal Shots - rank 5/5

Survival Talents -  21 points

Monster Slaying - rank 3/3
Humanoid Slaying - rank 3/3
Entrapment - rank 5/5
Savage Strikes - rank 2/2
Trap Efficiency - rank 1/2
Survivalist - rank 5/5
Deterrence - rank 1/1
Counterattack - rank 1/1

-Hunt'n

#2 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:04 PM

Feigning death in PvP rarely works. Players can continue to hit you, and therefore kill you. Occasionally, in the chaos of combat, someone will fall for it, but if you're using your pet, its continued presence on the battlefield usually tips them off.

Personally, I don't think Beastmastery is the way to go in PvP. Experienced players just ignore the pet and target the hunter. I've gone almost exclusively Marksmanship, just buying up Improved Aspect of the Hawk from the Beastmastery path.

#3 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:49 PM

I can confirm that feigning death works sometimes, but not usually. ^^ I also agree that in most cases I, not my pet is targeted. But I do know on both ends that having a pet siced you is very distracting and damaging. So the question is- can a BM specced Hunter with Bestial Wraith be as effective as a Hunter specced in Marksmanship and Survival skills? Part of me wants a powerfull animal under my control, but I want to be effective in PvP.
-Hunt'n

Sternum, on November 20th 2005, 12:04 PM, said:

Feigning death in PvP rarely works. Players can continue to hit you, and therefore kill you. Occasionally, in the chaos of combat, someone will fall for it, but if you're using your pet, its continued presence on the battlefield usually tips them off.

Personally, I don't think Beastmastery is the way to go in PvP. Experienced players just ignore the pet and target the hunter. I've gone almost exclusively Marksmanship, just buying up Improved Aspect of the Hawk from the Beastmastery path.

View Post

#4 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:25 PM

Feign Death is very useful in that it automatically de-targets you.  Everyone in the process of attacking you or casting a spell on you loses you as a target and loses their spells.

Its pretty easy to write a macro to Feign/Trap or Feign/Wyvern Sting, and I see it get used constantly.

#5 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:44 AM

Tetsuya, on November 20th 2005, 07:25 PM, said:

Feign Death is very useful in that it automatically de-targets you.  Everyone in the process of attacking you or casting a spell on you loses you as a target and loses their spells.

Its pretty easy to write a macro to Feign/Trap or Feign/Wyvern Sting, and I see it get used constantly.

View Post

Do you or anyone in the forums use combination macros like the feign death/trap macro? I started reading about them and my head is spinning! I really did'nt want to spend the next week figuring out how to write them. :) A link with the basics to get get a macro to work would be outstanding.

In this WoW Forum Thread, there is a list of macros. Under #3 Melee/Survival Tools, I see this macro:

------------------------
FD/Freeze Trap Variant 2
Tell Pet to stop attacking and follow you before FD:

/cast Freezing Trap
/script PetFollow(); PetPassiveMode(); ClearTarget();
/cast Feign Death
Note: These 2 macros are meant to be spam-hit to work. Freezing Trap is placed first so that when you're not in combat, you can still use this macro. Just spam/mash this macro a few times to Feign Death if you're in combat.
----------------------

But when I make a macro using the above script, it's not working. Is anyone familiar with gettn this macro to work?

I have also seen reference made to Zorlen's Hunter Functions and am under the impression that they may be required to get some scripted macros to work.

Regarding talent specialization for PvP, it appears that either scattershot (marksmanship- daze target for 4 sec) or Counter Attack (survival- immobilizes target for 5 sec) would be important skills to acquire. But if you spec in Beast Mastery, 31 pts for bestial wraith, and a total of 51 points to spend, there is no way you can reach, the previously mentioned talents in the other 2 trees. If you blow off BM, you can have both scattershot and counter attack. Decisions! :)

Thanks!

-Hunt'n