#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:17 AM

I've been reading about the WoW 1.9 patch. Pally talents are being redone and I read this blurb about previewing them through the Talent Calculator. Does anyone know anything about the Talent Calculator?

Well, I like answering my own questions. You can find the Talent Calculator here. It's a handy tool! :)

I also see new 20 and 40 person dungeons at Ahn'Qira. Apparently that is what hi-end players are asking for? Is this what hi-end questing destined to be?  As someone who does not care for the amount of organization effort involved, nor the game-play of a 40 man dungeon, some new 5-10 man instances would be appreciated.

Any comments about the 1.9 content are welcomed...

-Hunt'n

Edited by Huntn, 16 November 2005 - 11:05 AM.

#2 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:41 AM

yes, the hardcore players (and also the most vocal) want more high end uber content.  

personally, i feel that stuff like that is exclusive - in that it excludes the casual player, and that the gear and items found there tend to further imbalance hardcore players vs casual players.  I dont like it at all.

I dont have time to make WoW a job.  I like to be able to log in, pick up a group, and go do something, not have to pre-plan 8 hour "work" sessions of finding "solutions" to each encounter in a huge uber raid.  

thats not fun.

To me, even the so-called "Casual friendly" big raid, Zul'Gurub, too difficult for people to do Pick up groups, so casual players never get to do it.

#3 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:41 AM

Huntn, on November 16th 2005, 08:17 AM, said:

I also see new 20 and 40 person dungeons at Ahn'Qira. Apparently that is what hi-end players are asking for? Is this what hi-end questing is becoming?  From my perspective some new 5-10 man dungeons would be appreciated.

View Post

First thing... there is an interesting read on Blizzard's forums about this. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm frustrated with all of the 40 man dungeons that take hours and hours to complete. One of the members of Blizzard responded stating that they are aware that the casual gamers want the 5 to 10 man raids, and the people with ample time on their hands want guild 40 man raids. Blizzard says that they will focus more on the smaller raid content in the future but as for now... as you can see with the upcoming expansion pack, almost all of the instances are now 40 to 50 man raids. Yikes!

Second thing.. how are you finding Wow running on your G5? I'm thinking of upgrading to a Dual 1.8 with a x800, so I am interested in your comments on how well it plays.

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#4 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

iEvan, on November 16th 2005, 09:41 AM, said:

Blizzard says that they will focus more on the smaller raid content in the future but as for now... as you can see with the upcoming expansion pack, almost all of the instances are now 40 to 50 man raids. Yikes!

Second thing.. how are you finding Wow running on your G5? I'm thinking of upgrading to a Dual 1.8 with a x800, so I am interested in your comments on how well it plays.

View Post

Hey Blizzard!  :P

My dual 1.8 G5 handles WoW nicely. Besides Iron Lag, I usually see 30-50 fps. Last night in Arathi Basin, lag was minimal if any.

-Hunt'n

#5 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:03 PM

I was curious about auction houses - it sounds like this patch will make them available for the Horde in the Undercity and Thunder Bluff as well?

That would be welcome, especially for my Undead Warlock.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#6 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:15 PM

bookman, on November 16th 2005, 02:03 PM, said:

I was curious about auction houses - it sounds like this patch will make them available for the Horde in the Undercity and Thunder Bluff as well?

View Post

Yes, the same will apply for both Alliance and Horde... each city with an auction house will have the  listings with each city combined.  :D

Totally rumour mill... but so far details on the Burning Legion expansion will also include a revamp of the battlegrounds.  When you join the queue for the battlegrounds it won't be for just your server, but rather all the servers combined. Thus... there should be a battleground going on at all times. :blink:  Brilliant!

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#7 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

Right now, the most casual thing for casual players are the BGs.  Otherwise the endgame just isn't made for anyone who can't set aside a planned chunk of time.  Personally, I have no problem with endgame so far.  But then, I'm in a unique guild that is both big AND caters to all player types (hardcore and casual), and I don't fret over not having gotten all my devout set yet, or having not gotten attuned to MC in five min after getting the quest, etc.  Instead I just go on raids with my guild and enjoy the ride.  To me, it's the online equivalent of going to a comic book shop on a friday or saturday night to play MTG, Marvel Hero Clix, etc.  You get to know everyone, and it's always a nice way to kickback after the week is over.  My guild hasn't gotten to MC yet, but we've been to ZG a few times with the help of another allied guild, and I have been in a group that's taken down the snake boss.  I know another run that I was no on managed to beat the bat lady.  Sure we're not uber like some of the other guilds on our server are, but we've been making progress.  Those small incremental steps are what really make the big difference in the endgame.

With WoW's current social setup, highend raids are not meant to be PuGed.  It's just too easy for someone who gets mad at the raid leader to leave the raid and wipe the group by training mobs on them.  Or for someone to ninja loot something if Master Looter isn't being used.

Speaking of high end raids, ZG was called "casual" in the sense that:

1.You don't need a key or attunement or anything to get into it (unlike MC)
2.It's a 20 person raid instance instead of 40
3.It has a shorter lockout time than MC
4.Once familar with the instance, the entire thing can be completed in 2-3 hours.  This was what I read from Tyren or Caydiem on the official forums.  My guild has yet to complete the instance but we learn more and get closer every time we're in there.

Overall, the difference between levels 1-59 and 60 is just the big step in how you need to plan out and allocate your time accordingly.  If your schedule is such that you can't do that, then other than leveling alts or playing in the BGs for the PvP reward gear, there admitedly isn't much to do at level 60.  That's just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.  No game is ever perfect in every single regard, but I think WoW comes off pretty nice at what it does so far.  The improvements that they're making to it are always nice to see, and I am definitely looking forward to the expansion.

#8 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:20 AM

I noticed that the "tooltips" in that talent calculator don't always work for me with Safari; some get "stuck" and won't disappear when you hover over a different talent. You might try another Mac browser, Camino, which seems to work better for me.

Also, looking at builds spelled out for level 60 always frustrates me somewhat. I'm a good ways away from level 60, and would be much happier knowing what sort of talents are especially useful at level 20 or 30. Part of choosing your talents is I suppose figuring out your preferred playstyle as you get to experience more about the class. It's nice to have something to aim for, but few of these talent builds really help me figure out what to do when I first get a new (to me) class to level 10.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#9 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:36 AM

Rubel, on November 18th 2005, 02:20 AM, said:

I noticed that the "tooltips" in that talent calculator don't always work for me with Safari; some get "stuck" and won't disappear when you hover over a different talent. You might try another Mac browser, Camino, which seems to work better for me.

View Post

I use Safari, backed up by Firefox. I've seen some forms not work on Safari, and all though Firefox sometimes crashes, it will usually navigate the forms that Safari can't.

-Hunt'n

#10 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

Firefox is nice, I agree. Camino is a project that uses the same Mozilla rendering engine as Firefox, but wraps it up in a GUI that attempts to be more Mac-like.

Well, off to play with the talent calculator! I've got to figure out what to do with my new Rogue!
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#11 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

Rubel, on November 18th 2005, 08:20 AM, said:

Also, looking at builds spelled out for level 60 always frustrates me somewhat. I'm a good ways away from level 60, and would be much happier knowing what sort of talents are especially useful at level 20 or 30. Part of choosing your talents is I suppose figuring out your preferred playstyle as you get to experience more about the class. It's nice to have something to aim for, but few of these talent builds really help me figure out what to do when I first get a new (to me) class to level 10.

View Post

The good thing about the calc is that it shows you what level is required as you allocate talent points, so you can read over the talents and try to get a good idea for them that way.  I also browsed some other forums reading about leveling builds as they are called and what folks recomended for starting talent points.  Besides that, I just used my own experience with the game to figure out what talents I liked at earlier levels vs what I could wait for.

#12 Robo-X

Robo-X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:24 AM

The 1.9 patch notes has been released and it has some major changes for many classes but the biggest changes are for paladdins.

The major change for Mac users is for those who are still using Panther they will need to upgrade to 1.3.9. Future WoW patches will require at least MacOS X 10.3.9.

//Rob

#13 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:39 PM

Robo-X, on November 24th 2005, 02:24 PM, said:

The 1.9 patch notes has been released and it has some major changes for many classes but the biggest changes are for paladdins.

The major change for Mac users is for those who are still using Panther they will need to upgrade to 1.3.9. Future WoW patches will require at least MacOS X 10.3.9.

//Rob

View Post

I'm curious what our fellow Pally players think of the Paladin talent revision.  I'm personally indifferent since the Paladin is the only class I have not played due to it sounding mind numbingly boring (yet I leveled a Priest to 60 :huh: ).

#14 bung-foo

bung-foo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

Drizzt, on November 26th 2005, 04:39 PM, said:

I'm curious what our fellow Pally players think of the Paladin talent revision.  I'm personally indifferent since the Paladin is the only class I have not played due to it sounding mind numbingly boring (yet I leveled a Priest to 60 :huh: ).

View Post

I'm looking forward to it but mostly because its an opportunity to respec my pally for free. I lvl'd him to 43 solo and he was a ret build which kept me from dying of boredom during fights. Lately I've been playing with an equal lvl hunter who has all of her talents in beastmastery. I'm going to do a holy build so I can focus on keeping us all alive. Damage wise I just can't keep up with her and I can't tank as well as her pet. It is 2 lvls lower than me and has 2000+ higher armor rating and does about as much dps as I do if I'm using a one hander.

Anyway, thats my .02

#15 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:59 PM

Robo-X, on November 24th 2005, 07:24 AM, said:

//Rob

View Post

Just to clarify, 1.9 will still be compatible with 10.3.5 and up.  But patches after 1.9 wil require at least 10.3.9.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM