WoW performance ::need advice::

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 haben

haben

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:49 PM

i've played the game for like 3 months during the summer but i quit cuz i couldn't go on pvp raids.

**i was running the game at the lowest settings**

i'm going to address my situation as simply and clearly as possible:

1. PvP raids
once there were like 70+ people in front of silverwing, around 40 horde and the rest alliance, i'd freeze for 5 sec and after the 5 sec, i'd find myself lying dead on the ground..

2. Battleground(only warsong)
it was a lot more playable than PvP raids to cities but still, i had low fps. i don't remember the exact fps but what would happen is, my computer never froze but like, the screen would be... choppy when there're 8+ players around. otherwise it was fine.

3. Orgrimmar
this was just as bad as it was in PvP raids. as soon as i walk out of the front gate, i'd freeze and if i keep pressing the forward arrow button(to walk), i'd end up at AH after like 5+ seconds.

4. PvE
everything was A LOT better compared to previous situations. just grinding outside was fine(as in almost no lags)... SM, RFD, RFK, Uldaman were all fine. i had some lags from time to time but they were very minor, negligible lags.

Here is my mac's spec:

-17" iMac G4 1GHz
-256MB ram
-64MB vram (GeForce4MX)

My real question is:

i'm thinking about getting 512mb more ram. anyone know how much this would improve my gameplay quality? i'm not interested in having good graphics or w/e. i just need the game to run without so much lag. i want to go on a pvp raid and not freeze for 10 seconds and find myself dead after.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

Def. get more ram. get a gig if possible.  But I think 512 should do fine (total of 768, right?)
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#3 haben

haben

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:22 PM

yes, 768 total is correct. but any idea HOW MUCH better it'd be??? i'd pretty much be fine if i could just run BG's without lags that result in death..

#4 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:58 AM

Your RAM is under the minimum required (512Mb), and WoW seems to be one of those games that benefits most heavily from increased RAM, especially more than a gig, and on lower-end systems.

The parts you're having trouble with are some of the most taxing in the game, your CPU only makes the minimum spec, and your graphics card is under-par, so I wouldn't expect miracles. But I think you would see a noticeable difference. If your going to make this upgrade, you might try to go for a 1Gb stick.

Check out this thread for some people talking about their experiences with WoW and RAM upgrades. I would say that RAM upgrades are almost always worthwile, since the OS and other programs benefit from it as well (especially starting from 256Mb - OS X really likes having 512 or greater). It should make your overall experience with your system better, and it would help WoW, if not as much as you might like it to.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:41 AM

you can always replace the internal RAM too. giving yourself a maximum total of 1Gb of RAM. I did it just last weekend to my friends iMac G4 800. It was relatively simple, but I was suprised at the amount of dust inside the unit. you can find a guide to opening it up on xlr8yourmac.com somewhere.

RAM is hugely important, as it helps you get away with a lot, and generally improves perfromance.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:06 AM

RAM does a lot for WoW for sure. But having 256MB is low for anything. OS X will get a lot snappier if you get more, as will anything else. 256MB is below the practical minimum.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#7 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:53 AM

If you go to the 1 gig as suggested you will see AMAZING results.  Not just a .023% increase, but like a 60 to 70% in crease*

*These numbers have been created randomly out of the cobwebs of my brain.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17375 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:20 AM

Haben, I'm moving this to the Adventure & RPG sub forum.  The General forum is not for threads that deal with one specific game.  This could also have gone into the Troubleshooting forum.  You'll notice that each forum has a description, we would appreciate it if you took a moment to familiarize yourself with them.  We tend to take those definitions literally.  This isn't a punishment and you aren't in any sort of trouble, this is purely a function of maintenance.  

Welcome to the forums by the way!    :)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

Hippieman, on November 16th 2005, 09:53 AM, said:

If you go to the 1 gig as suggested you will see AMAZING results.  Not just a .023% increase, but like a 60 to 70% in crease*

*These numbers have been created randomly out of the cobwebs of my brain.

View Post

Hippieman, good to see ya. :)

-Hunt'n

#10 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:02 PM

If you can hear the hard drive reading/writing a lot when it lags big time, I believe more RAM will definitely help to get rid much of the lag you've been experiencing.

You might want to read my post in this thread about how my G5/ Dual 2 GHz felt like a new computer when playing WoW after I upgraded its RAM from 512 MB to 1,5 GB.

I used to have the same kind of lag in Ironforge that you have in Orgrimmar. That lag is as good as gone with the memory upgrade, and battlegrounds (at least Arathi Basin) are now playable too.

So I guess that if you've got 256 MB now, any amount of RAM upgrade will help. But if you can afford it, I would recommend you to buy 1 GB instead of 512 MB.

#11 Robo-X

Robo-X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:31 AM

Get as much RAM as you can. The more the better for OS X. It will help WoW a little but don't expect too much. On my 1.25GHz Powerbook with 1.5GB RAM I still get lag when entering Ironforge or Orgrimmar and during PVP battles the FPS drops to around 7.

The lag in the cities will be partially solved in the 1.9 patch when there will be more auction houses and have unified looking for group channels. But you will still have lag when there are many players on the screen like during PVP battles. The only that would solve the problem is to get a much faster CPU.

//Rob

#12 haben

haben

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

thx for the comments!

i guess i'll go get more rams... first i'll get 512mb then if it's still too slow for pvp.. i guess i'll get 512mb more...if that doesn't work... a new mac... lol

i don't have the $$$ to afford a new computer atm but in case i buy one, i need to ask this:

are macs expensive compared to PC's with equal spec?

i love macs but i just don't know if it's really worth sticking with them.. G5's are pretty darn expensive... that is, it costs like $3000 Cad. and i also have to get a display which would be another $1000 or more..

maybe it'd be more wise for me to just get a pc..? i mean, yeah, there're so many games i can play on pc's so that's good but i wouldn't switch to a pc just because of that...

so basically what i'm asking is, is pc a better choice for people who don't have too much money?

i.e. are pc's cheaper?

#13 haben

haben

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:10 PM

are you going to lock or move this thread again cuz it's about pc vs mac now, battle cat???

#14 Amon CMB

Amon CMB

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:25 AM

There's a performance-crippling bug in OS X 10.4.3 and WoW if you have a GeForce video card.  Blizzard says they're working on a solution.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17375 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:18 AM

haben, on November 17th 2005, 08:10 PM, said:

are you going to lock or move this thread again cuz it's about pc vs mac now, battle cat???

View Post

You are doing fine.  No since in me micromanaging a thread because the conversation wanders off the exact thread title.  Conversations are extremely fluid and have many twists and turns as well as subtopics.  I'm pretty lenient about that.  I'll step in if it gets totally out of hand or you get thread jacked or if a subtopic becomes unique enough to deserve being split into a new thread of it's own.  Sorry if I traumatized you there at the first.   :)

If you intend to make this a new topic of conversation, then I can split out the posts and put them into a thread of their own.  It's not a problem, easy in fact, and I want to help you however I can.  Just let me know and I'll fix you up.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:00 AM

haben, on November 17th 2005, 10:09 PM, said:

thx for the comments!

i guess i'll go get more rams... first i'll get 512mb then if it's still too slow for pvp.. i guess i'll get 512mb more...if that doesn't work... a new mac... lol

i don't have the $$$ to afford a new computer atm but in case i buy one, i need to ask this:

are macs expensive compared to PC's with equal spec?

View Post

Yes

haben, on November 17th 2005, 10:09 PM, said:

thx for the comments!
i love macs but i just don't know if it's really worth sticking with them.. G5's are pretty darn expensive... that is, it costs like $3000 Cad. and i also have to get a display which would be another $1000 or more..

maybe it'd be more wise for me to just get a pc..? i mean, yeah, there're so many games i can play on pc's so that's good but i wouldn't switch to a pc just because of that...

so basically what i'm asking is, is pc a better choice for people who don't have too much money?

i.e. are pc's cheaper?

View Post

I all ready made my speech here. Mac are expensive computers. However, the saying you get what you pay for applies. If all your using your Mac for is an expensive consol gaming machine, get a consol. They are real inexpensive compared to Macs & PCs. If your doing any kind of important work, stick with your current Mac for that. Personally, I would not rely on a PC as my sole computer.

-Hunt'n