#41 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:12 AM

Gods and Generals.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#42 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:51 AM

You call Deus Ex garbage! Pistols at dawn, sir!

#43 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:15 AM

Indeed, one who would prefer Quake which bored me while it still was the new thing (I was very young) over the awesomeness of Deus Ex (yes, you actually have to think while playing!) certainly does have a skewed outlook on things.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#44 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

Askilfeasd, on November 13th 2005, 08:09 AM, said:

Marathon is not garbage! Starcraft is not garbage! Call of Duty is not garbage! I just think that Quake is still one of the best shooters out there, and yes I have played Deus Ex, and it is garbage.
Starcraft is also not a shooter of any kind, but an RTS.

As to DX, I'm closer than Tomatocow, and also don't need to wait 'til dawn. Be advised, tho, that's that's one of BC's favorite games too, so I'll cede rights of first evisceration to him. :cool:

#45 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

If ya meant me, then yes, I think Quake is average. Why I said that is because it had no storyline (meaning) just run around and kill stuff (well anything that moves pretty much) which to me seems like a twitchfest.
IMO FPS games that aren't average would be Half-Life (had a good single player mode/storyline) things were happening around you.
I do like Quake (although IMO I don't think it has aged all that well) but I find it mearly average, same with Halo. Even Wolfenstein/ET I found to be average overall.
But I go for single player story mode type of games, multiplayer is an after thought for me. And average is alright sometimes.
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#46 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:26 AM

You call Halo average! Pistols at dawn, sir!

#47 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

Askilfeasd, on November 14th 2005, 02:08 PM, said:

Did you play Quake when it first came out, or are you basing your opinions from playing it now adays?

View Post

I played Quake when it came out, tried some LAN games, and got back to playing the Marathons exclusively. I've never gotten the fuss about Quake. It's 3D. Yay! But that's it. It doesn't innovate popsnizzle and Marathon is completely superior on  everything besides mouse behaviour (but as a keyboard Marathoner, that didn't do anything for me) and full 3D graphics, which means nothing for gameplay.

But then I don't think ID has done any good games ever. Just really good engines, which their so called games have been tech demos for. So on that matter, if you want games I woul consider exceptionally average, they would be Quake, Quake 3, Doom 3 (having only played the demo on the last one though... but I own the other two).
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:24 AM

Batcat, on November 13th 2005, 07:23 AM, said:

Be advised, tho, that's that's one of BC's favorite games too, so I'll cede rights of first evisceration to him. :cool:

View Post

Don't mind me.  eviscerate away.  Just clean up after yourself.  Mop's in the corner, gut bucket's on the porch out back by the chicken plucker.  You might want to think ahead and put his head on a pike as a warning to others, but I don't want to crimp your style.  I would request you save the skin, this place could use some new lamp shades.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:53 AM

Whaleman, on November 14th 2005, 09:10 AM, said:

But then I don't think ID has done any good games ever.

Doom is a good game.

As for Halo 3, it's guaranteed to generate 50 kajillion dollars (that's a precisely researched sales projection), so it's coming whether anyone likes it or not.

--Eric

#50 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

Eric5h5, on November 14th 2005, 03:53 PM, said:

Doom is a good game.

View Post

I don't like the first dooms either. I played Worms instead. Doom was just Wolf3D with monsters instead of Nazis and dogs... and Wolf was boring after 2 levels.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#51 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:58 AM

Silver Samurai, on November 13th 2005, 11:02 PM, said:

If ya meant me, then yes, I think Quake is average. Why I said that is because it had no storyline (meaning) just run around and kill stuff (well anything that moves pretty much) which to me seems like a twitchfest.
IMO FPS games that aren't average would be Half-Life (had a good single player mode/storyline) things were happening around you.
I do like Quake (although IMO I don't think it has aged all that well) but I find it mearly average, same with Halo. Even Wolfenstein/ET I found to be average overall.
But I go for single player story mode type of games, multiplayer is an after thought for me. And average is alright sometimes.

View Post

Did you just say Quake was average? Thats like saying Anna Nicole Smith would be an "Average" kindergarten teacher! Quake 1 still has better game play than 90% of FPS made today! The grappling hook has yet to be done better if done at all! Quake in its day was anything but "average"
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#52 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:04 PM

The Mail Man, on November 14th 2005, 11:58 AM, said:

Did you just say Quake was average? Thats like saying Anna Nicole Smith would be an "Average" kindergarten teacher!

View Post

No it isn't.

Saying Quake is average is like saying Ann-Margret is average when Milla Jovovich is standing right next to her. I think a lot of people would be willing to admit, no matter how hot they thought Ann was in 1965 though, you were really being polite to call her average considering the company.

Quake is no longer even an average FPS. It is below the standard that a new FPS has to achieve in order to do well. The proof of this is because you still play Quake. If a new game came out that was just like it you wouldn't give it the time of day and continue playing other games instead.

#53 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

All right then--if Quake were not released in 1996 but released today instead, nobody would play it. They would be too busy playing better, newer games.

Which is kind of like what the situation is now.

#54 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:49 PM

Endymion, on November 14th 2005, 02:30 PM, said:

All right then--if Quake were not released in 1996 but released today instead, nobody would play it. They would be too busy playing better, newer games.

Which is kind of like what the situation is now.

View Post

Yeah but if it wasn't for Quake there wouldn't be "better games" The multiplayer is still the model for FPS gaming today. There is a reason why its called "Quakecon" Also if Quake was rereleased today with lets say Doom 3 graphics it would be a huge hit....oh wait they did do that its called Quake 4. Quake did to the FPS what Henry Ford did to car building. Quake defined the FPS. Marathon had a much better plot from what I gather and Quake damn sure wasn't the first FPS but it brought to the table pound for pound more than any FPS has done since. The maps alone in Quake are genius and I'm not even going to go into the mechanics of the multiplayer. Plot was a joke but I honestly dont play for a plot. If I want that Ill play an RPG. Quake below average? If so how come its still brought up in conversations damn near 10 years later.
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#55 Biablo

Biablo

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:32 PM

Let me be the first to say that Marathon sucked monkey balls. It's the overrated, drunken coke-addict father of the bastard Halo.
Simulation Train Groping Booths: 3rd largest sector of the Japanese economy

#56 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

The Mail Man, on November 14th 2005, 10:49 AM, said:

Marathon had a much better plot from what I gather...

View Post

::Coffee, Spaghetti O's and a danish shoot out tBC's nose::

OW!  Criminy I wasn't even eating!!  Forgot what I was going to say.  Oh, I remember now, GO PLAY MARATHON YOU INFIDEL!!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#57 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:30 PM

So we used to project our game of Marathon on the building next to ours at the office, and we used to play multiplayer LAN games at 30' x 20' resolution.

#58 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

Tomatocow, on November 14th 2005, 04:30 PM, said:

So we used to project our game of Marathon on the building next to ours at the office, and we used to play multiplayer LAN games at 30' x 20' resolution.

View Post

Man, too bad you didn't have a huge set of concert loudspeakers on top of your building so that you could rattle their windows with the gunfire, screaming and explosions.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#59 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:59 PM

Askilfeasd, on November 14th 2005, 05:56 PM, said:

Biablo! You can burn in hell! It is the best game ever made, besides a couple things, it has nothing to do with Halo, and has the best plot a game ever had. :P

View Post

Um... actually, it does share some plot elements with Halo, and it was made by Bungie.

But I agree with the burn in hell part.

:D
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#60 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:20 PM

Biablo, on November 14th 2005, 04:32 PM, said:

Let me be the first to say that Marathon sucked monkey balls. It's the overrated, drunken coke-addict father of the bastard Halo.
Well, wow. Someone managed to top (or bottom) Askilfeasd. Pistols are no longer sufficient.

I demand satisfaction!