:w00t: Thanks!

#22 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:48 AM

I purchased it last night and started a Road to War scenario as the United States. Hearts of Iron II is such a vast improvement over the original, it's hard to compare.

The only negative thing I can say at this point is that time runs slower than in the original. In Hearts of Iron I, I could start in 1936 and crank up the speed, and we'd hit 1939 in roughly 30 minutes. In Hearts of Iron II, it's taken me a couple hours, and most of that was just sitting around, waiting for my technologies to research.

#23 sandman

sandman

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:08 AM

Sternum, on November 7th 2005, 06:48 AM, said:

I purchased it last night and started a Road to War scenario as the United States. Hearts of Iron II is such a vast improvement over the original, it's hard to compare.

The only negative thing I can say at this point is that time runs slower than in the original. In Hearts of Iron I, I could start in 1936 and crank up the speed, and we'd hit 1939 in roughly 30 minutes. In Hearts of Iron II, it's taken me a couple hours, and most of that was just sitting around, waiting for my technologies to research.

View Post

Sternum -  do you mean there's no speed up option, or that even on the fastest setting it still takes long?     ... this sounds like it might make playing USA esp. frustrating since in the original HoI you couldn't really do anything as US until Japan declared war on you ('41-'42)

#24 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:24 AM

The game does take longer, even on the extremely high speed.  There is a 1938 scenario now, which is what I've been considering for my games.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#25 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

sandman, on November 7th 2005, 08:08 AM, said:

Sternum -  do you mean there's no speed up option, or that even on the fastest setting it still takes long?     ... this sounds like it might make playing USA esp. frustrating since in the original HoI you couldn't really do anything as US until Japan declared war on you ('41-'42)

View Post

The fastest setting isn't as fast as it was in the original game. It's not a big deal when you're actively at war, but if you're playing a country with a good amount of downtime, such as the United States, you'll probably want to start later than 1936. Luckily, there are dozens of scenarios available, so you've got some flexibility.

#26 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, the multiple scenarios are another big plus- there were 2 with HOI1, right? This one has a bunch, so you can pretty much jump right in whenever you want. There are even a couple "what-if" endgame scenarios- I'm pretty sure, for example, there's an Allied invasion of Asia.

On the tech tree- yes, you can research anything anytime, but there's a penalty if you research in advance of the historical discovery. Essentially, it's trying to prevent someone from showing up with, say, nukes in 1943. There are two other nice improvements there- "personalities" who do the research for you. They all have different skills and costs involved. As Germany, for example, I've got Porsche working on my new tanks and Heisenberg working on my nuke program. There are also blueprints that you trade with your allies instead of straight-up giving away tech- you still have to research it, but at a huge bonus (to, I assume, account for things like adapting your infrastructure to the new tech).

#27 sandman

sandman

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Sternum --

I don't know if anyone has gotten far enough along to see, but i'd be interested in hearing more about the actual combat part of HOI2 -- I remember in the original, the combat options were pretty limited -- even though in the 'combat box,' options like "Blitz" & "Feint" & "Patrol" would show up, none of them seemed to work -- I could never get the Blitz option to work properly for ex., even when i had purely mechanized divisions.  The only thing you were really able to do was 'attack' in a pretty un-nuanced way.  it would be great if they fixed that this time around...

#28 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:33 AM

sandman, on November 7th 2005, 01:19 PM, said:

I don't know if anyone has gotten far enough along to see, but i'd be interested in hearing more about the actual combat part of HOI2...

A new feature is the ability to strategically support an offensive from an adjacent province without having to commit to movement.

#29 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

In addition to the "Combat Support" dojoboy talks about, the "specialty" units (AA, Anti-Tank, etc.) have been revamped so that they're no longer individual units, but battalions that you attach to your standard units.

The different "styles" of attack have been done away with. I agree with you, sandman- the Blitzkrieg never seemed to do much.

#30 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

schwa, on November 7th 2005, 01:35 PM, said:

In addition to the "Combat Support" dojoboy talks about, the "specialty" units (AA, Anti-Tank, etc.) have been revamped so that they're no longer individual units, but battalions that you attach to your standard units.

The different "styles" of attack have been done away with. I agree with you, sandman- the Blitzkrieg never seemed to do much.

View Post

That's funny, i won many an HOI game without even knowing there were different attack styles. I -made- a feint by attacking then stopping my attack at the last second, drawing his forces away from my real target. I -made- my blitzkreig by piling armor into a breach and rushing deep behind enemy lines :)

#31 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

I used Blitzkrieg successfully in Hearts of Iron I. Admittedly, it was kind of useless and hard to coordinate -- if you screwed it up, your armor would be trapped behind enemy lines -- but it worked.

#32 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:48 PM

There is a stacking penalty in HOI2, which can end many hopeful offensives.  I believe the limit is 24 divisions.

#33 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:04 PM

Oh no, there goes my plan for a massive invasion of Bhutan. :o
I shall start a new game tonight and see how everything works :happy:

#34 sandman

sandman

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:11 PM

...Not to be a cheapskate or anything (... okay, so i'm a cheapskate) - but HoI2 is being sold by VP as a download for ~30 british pounds... which works out to, like, $50 or so?  Does anyone know what the cost is in US$?  

... and has there been any word on when the game will be in stores?  $50 is a little steep & i sure wouldn't mind just buying one the ol'fashioned way for a little less green

#35 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

sandman, on November 7th 2005, 05:11 PM, said:

...Not to be a cheapskate or anything (... okay, so i'm a cheapskate) - but HoI2 is being sold by VP as a download for ~30 british pounds... which works out to, like, $50 or so?  Does anyone know what the cost is in US$? 

... and has there been any word on when the game will be in stores?  $50 is a little steep & i sure wouldn't mind just buying one the ol'fashioned way for a little less green

View Post

My CC was charged $44.57.

#36 RMA

RMA

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:41 PM

dojoboy, on November 6th 2005, 08:50 PM, said:

CORE for HOI2 is still being tweaked, not yet released.  There is the Stony Road mod for HOI2, but I've been unsuccessful in getting those guys to zip the files, and I can't extract the files on my PC.  The SR .exe will not recognize a dummy folder.

View Post

I managed to obtain a copy of stony road as a rar today, but it fails to load, for which reason I don't know. I'm curious if HOI2 still only reads the first 32 characters of a file name, or if that problem got fixed.

I'll upload a copy and send the link to anyone who asks. Not sure how the people who made it would feel if I uploaded a copy without permission and gave it out to everyone.

#37 sandman

sandman

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

schwa, on November 8th 2005, 12:49 PM, said:

My CC was charged $44.57.

View Post

... just ran across it listed on macworld.com for $53.18 (!?!)

#38 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:19 AM

sandman, on November 8th 2005, 06:07 PM, said:

... just ran across it listed on macworld.com for $53.18 (!?!)

View Post

The U.S. retail game is probably going to run at $39.99 -- the same as Crusader Kings. Once you factor in the shipping cost or the time taken to go buy it, you pretty much break even on cost.

#39 sandman

sandman

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:49 AM

Sternum, on November 9th 2005, 05:19 AM, said:

The U.S. retail game is probably going to run at $39.99 -- the same as Crusader Kings. Once you factor in the shipping cost or the time taken to go buy it, you pretty much break even on cost.

View Post

any word on when they're going to release it in retail?

#40 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:50 AM

Is there an easy way to "select similar units"? If I've place six new infantry units on top of a squad of tanks, I have to carefully click each health bar to do so, which gets hard once their health all evens out. Likewise, is there any way to "batch place" a group of new units (same type) in a province?