106 replies to this topic

#1 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:00 PM

Wow, I was just thinking to myself this morning how I was tired of my games and wanted a new game, but it had to be hardcore, not a shoot 'em up. And what do I see, HOI 2 is finally out!  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Downloading it now... hope there aren't any famous VP "issues"... *crosses fingers*

#2 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:41 PM

Such a solid game. Paradox made a more-stable and polished product, so there were fewer problems for VP to run into.

I am totally up for some MP some time, especially in one of the smaller scenarios where we can finish quickly.

have fun with it...it's an amazing game.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#3 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:17 PM

Rubel, on November 5th 2005, 03:41 PM, said:

it's an amazing game.

View Post

:thumbsup:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#4 Charlie Chaplin

Charlie Chaplin

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:21 PM

So is the game free to download?

#5 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:28 PM

Charlie Chaplin, on November 5th 2005, 11:21 PM, said:

So is the game free to download?

View Post

No.

#6 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:32 AM

is HoI2 any easier to pickup than HoI1 is?  or is it just as complicated, or more, than the original?
"Nothing here but us text"

#7 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:16 AM

Also, how's the micromanagement?

I enjoyed the original, but the task of keeping massive armies organized -- especially monsters like USSR -- wore me down.

#8 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:42 AM

Sternum, on November 6th 2005, 08:16 AM, said:

Also, how's the micromanagement?

I enjoyed the original, but the task of keeping massive armies organized -- especially monsters like USSR -- wore me down.

View Post

I'll tell you, of all the improvements of HOI2, the one I love the most is the ability to automate planes.  You set the minimum org level of the fighters/bombers and when their org hits that mark, they stop.  You do have to restart them yourself, but it makes for better game-play, IMHO.

#9 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:51 AM

It sounds great, but I'm still torn. If I could only buy Heart of Iron 2 or Crusader Kings, which would I buy?

#10 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:06 AM

Sternum, on November 6th 2005, 09:51 AM, said:

It sounds great, but I'm still torn. If I could only buy Heart of Iron 2 or Crusader Kings, which would I buy?

View Post

If I had to choose, HOI2.  

But, Crusader Kings is going to offer much more flexibility in the direction you want to play.  And, it is a different approach than the other Paradox games - family trees, inheritance laws, etc.  But, CK does not run smoothly on my machine, name because of the calculations that come in once the games gets going.  The cursor is not independent of the in-game calendar, so when ever the game calculates the cursor sticks.  It becomes very frustarting for me, to where I'd rather not play it because it interferes with management.  Stick, wait, move, stick, wait, move, etc...  It was my only gripe during the testing phase, but it was one of those things that would have required rewriting the code, which VP had no authorization for.

I'm hoping a faster processor in the future will make this is issue negligible, but... .

#11 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

Dang Nabit, this is not what I wanted to hear!  A stable HoI2, why cant they have some show stopping bugs so I can wait a few months and not feel so bad.  Well I suppose it is only money....
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win  -- Sun-Tzu "The Art of War"

#12 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

Jard, on November 6th 2005, 01:38 PM, said:

Dang Nabit, this is not what I wanted to hear!  A stable HoI2, why cant they have some show stopping bugs so I can wait a few months and not feel so bad.  Well I suppose it is only money....

View Post

Let me add to the question regarding HOI2's stability.  I've not suffered one single CTD since playing the release version of HOI2.  As Rubel mentioned earlier, the PC build was much more stable than anything Paradox had previously released.

#13 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:07 PM

MightySlugMan, on November 5th 2005, 11:32 PM, said:

is HoI2 any easier to pickup than HoI1 is?  or is it just as complicated, or more, than the original?

View Post

Well, I never quite managed to figure out HoI1. This is tough for me to admit, Paradox fanboy that I am. But HoI2 wasn't hard at all. Maybe it was just the addition of tutorials. There's still a lot of complexity, but I found it much less overwhelming.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#14 RMA

RMA

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:19 PM

I've had some fun myself today playing HOI2 (when I should have been writing an essay), and have to say it's good. My only problem was I couldn't change the screen resolution. Now if we can just get some copies of the mods made for the PC version which we can use.

#15 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

RMA, on November 6th 2005, 04:19 PM, said:

Now if we can just get some copies of the mods made for the PC version which we can use.

View Post

CORE for HOI2 is still being tweaked, not yet released.  There is the Stony Road mod for HOI2, but I've been unsuccessful in getting those guys to zip the files, and I can't extract the files on my PC.  The SR .exe will not recognize a dummy folder.

#16 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:10 PM

The interface for HOI2 is a VAST improvement over HOI1. Lots of right-click contextual menus. The production and research queues are much better. It bugs me HUGELY that the PDF of the manual in the electronic download is just a bunch of page scans, or jpegs, rather than text I can search. I've also been getting sporatic crashing  :moreangry:

#17 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:00 PM

Downloading it now. I've heard people complain about the tech tree and how you can't research a tech until a certain year has passed etc. Makes it more realistic, yes, but for those that play for the "what if" factor, I've heard it's a drawback. Also, what about the stacking penalty for planes? Is that still in there? (was there one for ships also?)

#18 Sarge_McGruff

Sarge_McGruff

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

Now I'm confused, I've checked the release dates and HoI2 hasn't been released yet.  Where are you dl'ing this from?

#19 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

Sarge_McGruff, on November 7th 2005, 10:22 AM, said:

Now I'm confused, I've checked the release dates and HoI2 hasn't been released yet.  Where are you dl'ing this from?

View Post

www.vpltd.com

#20 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

Tomatocow, on November 6th 2005, 09:00 PM, said:

Downloading it now. I've heard people complain about the tech tree and how you can't research a tech until a certain year has passed etc. Makes it more realistic, yes, but for those that play for the "what if" factor, I've heard it's a drawback. Also, what about the stacking penalty for planes? Is that still in there? (was there one for ships also?)

View Post

You can certainly research a tech prior to it's historic appearance, but there is a penalty.  One that makes it not so desirable.  And, of course, you can only research what you've opened up through previous discoveries.  I prefer the new tech process, much more intuitive.  If a tech appeared in 1940, you can begin researching it, without a penalty, approximately one year earlier (1939).  If you place a strong research team in charge, then you'll get it quicker.