#1 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:22 PM

I'm in a wait and see mode. I've seen the Outland screen shots and am withholding judgment until I see them in the game. In other words, at this point I am not wow'd. I've heard Outland is a big place so I'm looking forward to new hopefully varied environments. I'm happy that the level cap is being raised. I find I have the most fun questing and exploring versus doing high end instances over and over again. So I have my fingers crossed the new content will be a boost!

-Hunt'n

#2 bung-foo

bung-foo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:30 PM

My initial reaction was a big fat "Meh".

#3 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:42 PM

Are they getting rid of the subscription idea?
If not then bleh!  :P

#4 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:37 AM

kingarthur_kom, on October 31st 2005, 05:42 AM, said:

Are they getting rid of the subscription idea?
If not then bleh!  :P

View Post

I really do not understand all this coldness.

Blizzard has revealed only a fraction of the content of his forthcoming expansion and there's no reason to doubt that it will comply their usual high-quality standards ...

I think that any MMORPG this complex deserves a monthly fee, seems reasonable to me ...

(please, be patient with my rusty English)

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#5 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:19 AM

Huntn, on October 30th 2005, 11:22 AM, said:

I'm in a wait and see mode. I've seen the Outland screen shots

View Post

That doesn't look like Outland.
:blink:
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#6 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 05:58 AM

yeah, those pictures would be of Quel'Thalas and Kharazhan.

And lay off the subscription already - expecting Blizz to provide free service and just eat the costs of all that bandwidth, power,  hardware, and employees,  is like expecting the sun to come up in the north.

#7 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:56 AM

If they bring back the 5 man instances, then I would renew my subscription. Once I hit lvl 60 WoW just wasn't fun any more. There is no way that 40 man instances are in any shape of the word 'fun'.

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#8 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:50 AM

ill agree with you there.  I fell asleep at the keyboard the only time i ever went to MC, it was that boring.

Problem being, of course, that if you dont do 40 man instances you dont get the kewl gear, either, so you get destroyed in PvP by people who do.

Im on the edge of dropping my subscription, because im a casual gamer and casual gamers cant compete in the post-60 WoW anymore.

#9 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

If bliz gave me 100*normal xp rate so i could level up to 60 in a flash, i'd resub and play a bunch. i simply got sick of the grind by level 40.

#10 BadgerHunter

BadgerHunter

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:25 PM

iEvan, on October 31st 2005, 09:56 AM, said:

If they bring back the 5 man instances, then I would renew my subscription. Once I hit lvl 60 WoW just wasn't fun any more. There is no way that 40 man instances are in any shape of the word 'fun'.

View Post

You CAN get blue gear doing 5 mans. Not easy but it can be done. Epic is not supposed to be easy to get.

#11 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:33 PM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on October 31st 2005, 05:19 AM, said:

That doesn't look like Outland.
:blink:

View Post

My mistake then. I need to do some more research. :)
-Hunt'n

#12 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 04:35 PM

iEvan, on October 31st 2005, 09:56 AM, said:

View Post

I agree totally with the statement regarding 40 man instances. I dealt with this situation by starting 5 alts!! The game is too much fun for me and I don't mind repeat quests. :D

Tetsuya, on October 31st 2005, 11:50 AM, said:

ill agree with you there.  I fell asleep at the keyboard the only time i ever went to MC, it was that boring.

Problem being, of course, that if you dont do 40 man instances you dont get the kewl gear, either, so you get destroyed in PvP by people who do.

Im on the edge of dropping my subscription, because im a casual gamer and casual gamers cant compete in the post-60 WoW anymore.

View Post

Thats why I'm hoping the future content will consist of solo and quests doable with a 5 man party.  Plus a large level cap increase would be nice.

-Hunt'n

#13 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

BadgerHunter, on October 31st 2005, 03:25 PM, said:

You CAN get blue gear doing 5 mans. Not easy but it can be done. Epic is not supposed to be easy to get.

View Post

The problem being is that WoW is trying to be 2 games:  PvE WoW and PvP WoW.

what is good for PvP isnt always good for PvE, but what is good for PvE  *IS* good for PvP.

I'm a casual player, i play less than 20 hours a week (often, *substantially* less) and that is on weeks where im playing "a lot".  I cant get into a huge raiding guild - they almost all have mandatory raid attendance - and even if i could, since almost all of said guilds use raid points, id never get enough points compared to the other players to get the good loots anyway.

When WoW went live, Blizzard made a fairly public comitment to make this a game accessible by the Casual Gamer.  Unfortunately, with the increasing "bigger, better, badder" gear coming from places like Blackwing Lair, not only can i no longer compete in PvE (cant get into these places to begin with), the gear those people get makes it so i cant compete in PvP either.  

check out this weapon:
http://thottbot.com/?i=5192

compare it to this:
http://thottbot.com/?i=14268

Thats a 30dps upgrade (and given the actual damage ranges involved, about an 80% damage upgrade with a Mortal Strike build warrior)

Immagine what that does in the hands of even a moderately skilled warrior in PvP.  

Not only that, Bizzard is catering heavily to the melee classes as well - there is no one piece of gear that can so substantially upgrade any caster.  

I understand that epic items are supposed to be hard to come by - but the post-60 game is becoming so flooded with them that you cant compete unless you're similarly geared.   The casual player is being left behind, and that means Blizzard is going to lose my money soon unless some solution presents itself.

Several spring to mind:  

The main reason that you dont get epic items in 5 and 10 man raids (raids completeable by Pick up groups "PuGs") is because if that were the case, the hardcore players would farm them incessantly.  

So how about a hard 5 man instance that has epic drops - but, like a larger raid has a lockout timer?  How hard is that?  It means that on the one day a week i can play, i can take a shot at a piece of epic gear (which shouldnt be as good as the stuff in BWL or MC, but should be "close" so people like me can stay in the game) and it prevents the hardcore guys from farming it.

How about making epic crafted items better and adding more of them.  Sure, i'd have to spend oodles of gold and buy them from someone who does large raids - again, you make the crafted items just-shy-of MC gear - because that's where the mats would drop - but at least i could get them without having to belong to a huge guild.  I'd have to farm money - but i cuould get it.

both are simple solutions with few downsides, and unless something like that happens, i wont be playing WoW much longer, and a lot of people like me wont either.

#14 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:47 PM

Hmm. I've heard so many complaints about the WoW endgame that I figure the day my Shaman (lvl 20 last night!) hits 60 will be the day I go make another character.

I just played my first ever instance (Ragefire Chasm), and it was lots of fun! I can't imagine trying to make that work with 40 people, though.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#15 littleredxj

littleredxj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:10 PM

I'm excited about the expansion.  The lvl cap increase will be a bit of a pain, but if they are bringing out new content with it, that means new zones to expore and new stuff to kill.

As for the discussion about casual and serious gamer, I am a serious gamer when I have the time.  I have close to 3 lvl 60 characters and my wife has 2.  But heres the deal, since school started back up and work takes up so much time, i've had to drop my play time down to maybe 10-15 hours a week.  Well I spend that time in MC with my guild.  All the talk of MC being boring is if you aren't doing your job in there.  Everyone needs to pull together if they plan to drop Ragg.  So my other characters sit on standby for if I ever get more time to play.

So wow can be a casual gamer game, just can't have any hope of being in the top 50 pvp'ers on a casual time.  And by me only playing 10-15 hours a week, my rogue has almost a complete set of nightslayer from MC along with the gutgore ripper that drops in there.  Just need to decide how you will spend your time and who to spend it with.

Oh, last thing, you don't need to be in some gigantic guild to run MC.  You just need good planning.  The guild I am in can only field about half of the needed 40 lvl 60's for MC.  We have teamed up with other guilds and now run 2 groups through there a week.  Wouldn't be possible without a good strong alliance with other guilds.

Alliance War Council

Just takes planning to set up.

#16 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, those screenshots aren't Outland. I'd be surprised if they had much of Outland completed and "screenshot ready," if they have anything done there at all.

But to answer your question, hell yes I'm excited about the expansion. At least a dozen new instances, both raid and non-raid. An entire new "continent." Two new races. More quests, places to explore, items to acquire.

I'm currently completing as many high level quests as I can, so when expansion day comes I can turn them all in for a quick XP boost. :)

I can't wait.

#17 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

macpete, on October 31st 2005, 06:37 AM, said:

Blizzard has revealed only a fraction of the content of his forthcoming expansion and there's no reason to doubt that it will comply their usual high-quality standards ...

View Post

You mean the "high-quality standards" Diablo 2 was held to? IMO, Bilzzard hasn't gotten any game right since Starcraft. The original Diablo was awesome, and Starcraft remains as one of the best games ever.

Seriously though... Blood Elves? Instead of totally redoing models for a new race, lets just take existing models and change em a little, and charge people another $50 on top of the $50 for the original and the $15 a month.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:57 PM

Someone's in a bad mood..... :)

#19 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:27 AM

Huntn, on November 4th 2005, 04:57 AM, said:

Someone's in a bad mood..... :)

View Post

Ehe ... Well, to tell you the true I'm not too excited about the Burning Crusade expansion previews so far but maybe it's a bit  too early to be pessimistic ...

WoW is not a perfect game but is it really possible to build a perfect MMORPG? RPG players are so demanding and mixed ...

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#20 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:37 AM

Dark_Archon, on November 4th 2005, 05:01 AM, said:

Seriously though... Blood Elves? Instead of totally redoing models for a new race, lets just take existing models and change em a little, and charge people another $50 on top of the $50 for the original and the $15 a month.

View Post

When was the last time you saw an expansion sell for $50? They're usually priced at $30... and if that includes one month of gameplay, all you would pay for the extra content would be $15.

That being said, I'm not really sure what to think of the Blood Elves. It really looks like reskinned night elves... which is exactly what they should be... and that does sound kinda cheap to me. But on the other hand, I really missed the option when I first saw WoW.

Now... if the other race would be Pandareen, I'm all over that expansion. But I doubt that would happen. Seeing how the pandareen is a really rare race, it would make no sense having them running all over the place.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***