thanks!

#2 davebaum

davebaum

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:02 PM

I really liked the game, but I don't think it is for everyone.

If you liked Railroad Tycoon 1 or 2 then I think Railroad Tycoon 3 is a good buy.  The gameplay is very similar to RT2 with some nice improvements and additions.  Personally I thought the RT2 campaign got in a rut after a while, whereas the RT3 campaign seemed to have a bit more variety.  I also found tracklaying to be increasingly frustrating in RT2, and RT3 has made it a lot nicer. I also think the economic model in RT3 is a lot better.

The 3D rendering is a nice addition.  I don't zoom in much in normal game mode, but sometimes I play in Sandbox mode and then zoom in and follow the trains around.  My son loves watching the game in this mode.

If you found RT2 frustrating, then RT3 might still be worth a try since it fixed what were some of the more frustrating aspects of the game.  However, if you found RT2 completely boring, then RT3 is just going to be more of the same.

If you've never tried RT1 or RT2, then it would depend on what type of games you enjoy.  There isn't any combat, nor does it have the first person feel of a flight simulator.  There's a lot of strategic depth, but instead of warfare it is all about economics, railroads, and the stock market.  It is a "building" game, like the SimCity series, but you don't have control over the entire map.  You can only build your railroad, but then your railroad causes towns to develop, etc.

Dave

#3 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

RT3 didn't last long in my play queue and partly due to Macsoft never patching the multiplayer bug that was carried over from the PC port.
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#4 Melkhior

Melkhior

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:53 AM

Can anyone confirm RT3 works with MacOS X 10.4.3 ?

#5 Togglemeister

Togglemeister

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

So I pulled out my Railroad Tycoon 3 and updated it to 1.0.5 version on OS 10.5.8 on my Dual G5 2.3 ghz (Fan based). It runs pretty good.
If you need the 1.0.5 update it can be found here. http://www.macsoftga...ailroadtycoon3/ and just click on the "download" tab. That german site still has the 1.0.5 update that matches it with the PC's ?? ? ??
(Now) Late 2013 27" 3.4 ghz iMac, stock configurations.
(Then) 2005 Powermac G5 Dual Core 2.3 ghz, Leopard, 256mb nvidia 6600GT.
(Archived) DA w/Single Sonnet G4 1.4 ghz  2mb L3, Tiger, 1 gb ram, 128 mb ati 9800 pro (AGP)