#21 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:28 PM

Brad Oliver, on October 27th 2005, 05:55 PM, said:

I certainly envision making x86 builds of Civ3 before too long, but it's unlikely to ship as a universal binary. As for keeping a PPC Mac around, Rosetta should run Civ3 at breakneck speeds even through emulation.
Nice to hear that Rosetta is that good. Emulators usually seem to break under the strain of games programmers.

It's too early to say about Civ4 (I haven't checked out the latest specs for the PC version), but I'd guess that your GeForce card will be at the extreme low end if it works at all. Ask again in a few months when we're farther along on Civ4
Thanks. Sounds like I'll be up for a new video card at least. I still remember what Civ3 was like on the original-fit 16 MB ATI Radeon. I don't want to run a game on minimum-spec hardware again.

#22 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:44 PM

Ben, on October 27th 2005, 12:03 PM, said:

Civ IV uses the Gamebryo engine, right?

Does that increase the likelihood of seeing other Gamebryo based games (Pirates and Freedom Force 2 in particular)?

Ben

View Post

Yes, Civ 4 does use Gamebryo, so the engine will exist on the Mac.  Can't say what that means for other games, but its never a bad thing to have the engine ported!

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#23 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:47 PM

When can I expect Civ3 complete to be available? You already have my money put aside for it.
Edward

#24 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

Let me put this carefully:

YEEEEEHAAAA!!!!!

great :)
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#25 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:16 PM

*Kisses to the female developers, hugs to the males devs*

I'm SO excited about CivIII Complete on the mac! :D

*Mumbles something about the annoying german empire and resumes his CivIII game*
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#26 Enkidu

Enkidu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:58 PM

I sooooo want to play this right now!
Have been trying to justify a home built PC for non-mac games, but hearing it is coming in 'early '06' allows me to delay having another winBlows box (my last winBlows box was a PentiumI  90 MHz - played quake nice tho).  

Let us know when you folks expect to ship - must get pre-order in ASAP!!!!!!

:D

#27 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:12 PM

AlanH, on October 27th 2005, 02:28 PM, said:

Nice to hear that Rosetta is that good. Emulators usually seem to break under the strain of games programmers.

It's not that Rosetta is that good; it's more like Civ III isn't very demanding.  Plus it's relatively old...most games from that era or earlier should work OK with Rosetta (as long as they're OS X native of course).

I'd be interested in Pirates! as well.  I'm definitely getting Civ IV, but it's possible I've played enough of Civ III, so I have to decide whether to get Civ III Complete for the sake of, er, completeness or not....

--Eric

#28 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

Eric5h5, on October 27th 2005, 02:12 PM, said:

It's not that Rosetta is that good; it's more like Civ III isn't very demanding.  Plus it's relatively old...most games from that era or earlier should work OK with Rosetta (as long as they're OS X native of course).

View Post

Yeah, you've more or less hit it on the head. It's likely that even the slowest of the Intel Macs will be as fast or faster than the current G5s, and since Civ3 requires around 500MHz of G3 computing power... :)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#29 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:31 PM

Gah! Civ 4 will be coming out for Mac and I won't be around to play it!
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#30 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

GlendaAdams, on October 27th 2005, 02:44 PM, said:

Yes, Civ 4 does use Gamebryo, so the engine will exist on the Mac.  Can't say what that means for other games, but its never a bad thing to have the engine ported!

Glenda

View Post

Please give us Pirates!  Please give us Pirates!  Please give us Pirates!  Please give us Pirates!  Please give us Pirates!  Please give us Pirates!  Please give us Pirates!  Please give us Pirates!

Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to say that the Civ IV news, while not particularly surprising, is extremely welcome.  The Civ 3 complete news, on the other hand, I initially considered a little strange.  Isn't it odd to (finally) be releasing the expansions to a game just a few months before you release it's sequel?  Who's going to buy it?

But then I sort of changed my mind, and this is why.  I've recently expressed in these forums my annoyance that so many Mac games seem to come our way, while toolsets and expansions get ignored; Civ 3 was a perfect example of that.  Because of this situation, I've decided to hold off on a purchase of Civ IV until there is an absolute confirmation that the inevitable expansions will be coming our way.  To that end, Civ 3 Complete will tide me over quite nicely.  I expect it will only be 6 to 8 months before PC expansion are announced.  If you guys can secure those for us, I'll buy Civ IV the moment they're announced.

Again, thanks.

Now, go and get to work on Pirates!  My roomate is playing it and he's being really annoying about it.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#31 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

Well, you can sign me down for a copy of Civ III Complete, that's for sure. I really have to say that I really appreciate Aspyr releasing "complete" packs like this and the MoH:AA Warchest.

Since we're on the topic of "game + expansion" packages, is Aspyr going to be releasing a "Deluxe Edition" of CoD that has United Offensive included?
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#32 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:01 PM

Brad Oliver, on October 27th 2005, 09:19 PM, said:

Yeah, you've more or less hit it on the head. It's likely that even the slowest of the Intel Macs will be as fast or faster than the current G5s, and since Civ3 requires around 500MHz of G3 computing power... :)
It wan't the power I was concernd about for Civ3 - early reports on Rosetta's efficiency are pretty encouraging. I was more concerned that there are several APIs that don't play with Rosetta. However, I've just checked the list, and it looks very unlikely to affect Civ3. Altivec or G4/G5 optimisation seem to be the main no-nos.

#33 Michael Yanovich

Michael Yanovich

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:06 PM

I can't say I'm surprised, as the other Civs have all made it over successfully...

But I CAN say I'm THRILLED!  Can't wait for this one!

Especially if those little spear and archer units can't hold off tanks anymore. hehehehe.

#34 Archmage

Archmage

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:20 PM

Michael Yanovich, on October 27th 2005, 05:06 PM, said:

Especially if those little spear and archer units can't hold off tanks anymore. hehehehe.
Haha no kidding! I'm so excited to hear about Civ 4 coming to Mac. :) Along with the complete Civ 3.

#35 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:00 AM

Thank you Apsyr!  This is some of the best news.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#36 Gobli_Witchlord

Gobli_Witchlord

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:20 PM

PBEM, Joy!

I think it would be great to see SM Pirates! come to the Mac... Pirates and Populous were my big games back in the day; I didn't come to Civ until CivIII (which is now my big game.

I bought an Xbox a few months ago to play Pirates!, which is fun, but all the other console games are dreadful.

I'm a little torn between Stubbs-Xbox or Stubbs-Mac, which I'll have to wait to buy a PowerBook to play. I suppose I'll have to keep the Xbox around for Starcraft:Ghost, though...

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:37 PM

Gobli_Witchlord, on October 28th 2005, 12:20 PM, said:

PBEM, Joy!

I think it would be great to see SM Pirates! come to the Mac... Pirates and Populous were my big games back in the day; I didn't come to Civ until CivIII (which is now my big game.

I bought an Xbox a few months ago to play Pirates!, which is fun, but all the other console games are dreadful.

I'm a little torn between Stubbs-Xbox or Stubbs-Mac, which I'll have to wait to buy a PowerBook to play. I suppose I'll have to keep the Xbox around for Starcraft:Ghost, though...

View Post

Stubbs for the Mac may have some extras on it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Siegfrid

Siegfrid

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:07 PM

Thanks a lot for bringing Civ III complete to our favorite system! Can't wait to buy and play it against my friend via LAN.

btw - will it be possible to download some scenarios from Civ-fansites and play them on my Mac or are they PC-only?

And yes, Pirates! for Mac would be wonderful...  :D

#39 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:39 AM

Siegfrid, on October 29th 2005, 01:07 AM, said:

And yes, Pirates! for Mac would be wonderful...  :D

It's never been said Aspyr had publishing rights to all of Firaxis' games.  However, it was stated that Aspyr negotiated the publishing rights for Civ.  But, it has also been stated that Aspyr is looking into rereleasing SMAC/x, polished for OSX.  This would require a new agreement with Firaxis (or Take2) because Aypr's rights to SMAC/x had run out some time ago.  So, that ndicates they are interesteed in more than one Aspyr title.  I know, balh-balh-balh-blah.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#40 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

Rereleasing SMAC/X, polished up for OS X/Intel transition, would be GREAT!! Alpha Centauri is certainly one of my all-time favorite games. =)

richmlow

dojoboy, on October 29th 2005, 05:39 AM, said:

It's never been said Aspyr had publishing rights to all of Firaxis' games.  However, it was stated that Aspyr negotiated the publishing rights for Civ.  But, it has also been stated that Aspyr is looking into rereleasing SMAC/x, polished for OSX.  This would require a new agreement with Firaxis (or Take2) because Aypr's rights to SMAC/x had run out some time ago.  So, that ndicates they are interesteed in more than one Aspyr title.  I know, balh-balh-balh-blah.

View Post

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3