51 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:47 AM

Aspyr Media just sent word that they plan to bring the latest Sid Meier hit Civilization IV to the Mac early next year. In addition, they will also be publishing Civilization III: Complete for the Mac this December, which brings with it two expansions as well as multiplayer to fans of Civ 3.

Civilization IV is garnering rave reviews already in its PC version, and looks to bring new strategic gameplay elements and a great-looking new 3D engine to the series.

Civilization III: Complete will help those who haven't yet experienced the addiction of the series get into the game. Here's a breakdown from Aspyr on this title due by the end of the year:

Gaming fans can now enjoy Civilization III, the highly addictive journey of discovery, combined with the updated and enhanced multiplayer expansion pack Civilization® III: Play the World™, as well as all of the great new Civs, Scenarios, and Features from Civilization III: Conquests! Civilization III: Complete provides more ways to win, more ways to explore, more strategies to employ, and more exciting modes of play all in one box! Civilization III: Complete gives Civ® fans the opportunity to enjoy unmatched strategic gameplay alone or against players from around the world.
Much more infomation will be coming soon from Aspyr and IMG, so be sure to stay tuned for the latest.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:48 AM

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!

THANKS ASPYR!

I had to have this one.

It is odd to see Civ 3 published by 2 different companies though  :o
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:54 AM

Sweeeeeeeet, now we only need NWN2 announced to be ported and I'm set with Mac games for next year :)

#4 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

Very nice.

joie de vivre

:)
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#5 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:03 AM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

#6 Ramius

Ramius

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:09 AM

Hooray! :)

#7 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:29 AM

"It is odd to see Civ 3 published by 2 different companies though"

that is odd... I wonder what happened there.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#8 BurntToast

BurntToast

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

Whoohoo!

#9 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:33 AM

teflon, on October 27th 2005, 11:29 AM, said:

View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the version of Civ 3 published by Macsoft was done by Brad Oliver when he was working for Westlake Interactive.  Now that Mr. Oliver is at Aspyr, they are no doubt taking advantage of his expertice with the civ 3 code.

#10 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

Ranger_Joe, on October 27th 2005, 09:33 AM, said:

If I'm not mistaken, the version of Civ 3 published by Macsoft was done by Brad Oliver when he was working for Westlake Interactive.  Now that Mr. Oliver is at Aspyr, they are no doubt taking advantage of his expertice with the civ 3 code.

View Post

Generally a publisher licenses a game for the Mac for a certain number of years, and when the license ends it's possible in might be renewed by the original Mac publisher or picked up by someone else.

The Civ 3 Complete Aspyr is publishing is a completely new OS X specific version that doesn't share any code with the previous Mac version (other than the Civ 3 PC code).  Brad Oliver, the original Civ 3 Mac programmer did do the new version though.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#11 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:41 AM

teflon, on October 27th 2005, 09:29 AM, said:

View Post

I've heard that MacSoft's rights to the Mac version of Civ3 had expired, so that enabled another company (in this case Aspyr) to pick them up. As it happens, we don't have the rights to the original Mac port or the code I wrote back then, but yeah - my familiarity after having worked on the other Mac port did come in handy. I have to say that never in a million years would I have guessed I'd be working on Civ3 again, that's for sure. :)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#12 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:57 AM

Glenda/Brad, Civ4 & Mactel?
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#13 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

dojoboy, on October 27th 2005, 09:57 AM, said:

Glenda/Brad, Civ4 & Mactel?

View Post

Nothing specific to Civ 4, but I can say we have plans for pretty much every 2006 release to support Mac OS X Intel.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#14 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:35 AM

@Brad: Probably too early to say, but is my 32 MB GeForce 4MX going to be man enough to handle C-IV? Or am I going to have to buy a new one to put in a Mac that I will probably ditch when IntelliMacs are ready for prime time?

@Glenda: " pretty much every 2006 release to support Mac OS X Intel". Does that imply that Civ3 Complete won't? If so, I guess I would need to keep my old Mac to play Civ3, or replace it with an end-of-product-life PPC Mac to remain compatible with both versions. Hmm, some interesting decisions!

PS. Great news, by the way! Don't let my private complications detract from your announcement. I love it, and these are nice problems to have  :D

#15 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:55 AM

AlanH, on October 27th 2005, 10:35 AM, said:

@Glenda: " pretty much every 2006 release to support Mac OS X Intel". Does that imply that Civ3 Complete won't? If so, I guess I would need to keep my old Mac to play Civ3, or replace it with an end-of-product-life PPC Mac to remain compatible with both versions. Hmm, some interesting decisions!

View Post

I certainly envision making x86 builds of Civ3 before too long, but it's unlikely to ship as a universal binary. As for keeping a PPC Mac around, Rosetta should run Civ3 at breakneck speeds even through emulation.

It's too early to say about Civ4 (I haven't checked out the latest specs for the PC version), but I'd guess that your GeForce card will be at the extreme low end if it works at all. Ask again in a few months when we're farther along on Civ4.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#16 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

GlendaAdams, on October 27th 2005, 06:01 PM, said:

I can say we have plans for pretty much every 2006 release to support Mac OS X Intel.

Glenda

View Post

*Ahrem*

W0000000000000000000000000000t!!!!!!!!

And for CivIII complete: W000000000000000000tliw0000000000000000000t!!!!!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#17 Gobli_Witchlord

Gobli_Witchlord

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:20 PM

This is truly awesome. I figured CivIV was coming to the Mac, but it's great to get CivIII  Complete too.

I'll have to buy a new PowerBook to play CivIV (or anything else).

My Number One Q is about multiplayer. I assume that the more interesting multiplayer variants are Mac-Mac only in both games. But is the play-by-email variant Mac-PC compatible? I have been wanting to play Civ games with my PC friends forever, and PBEM is the perfect thing for our busy lifestyles.

Also, my PC friends have old computers and have to buy new computers to play CivIV (which are too expensive).

So PBEM Mac-PC compatibility would be a ~major~ incentive for me to get CivIII Complete as well as CivIV.

Also, I hope Aspyr will be keeping up with any new updates from Firaxis... My PC friends still play Civ regularly, because there were important expansions every year. But the CivIII hasn't been updated from 2002 til now.

Thanks, Aspyr!

#18 richmlow

richmlow

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:39 PM

Aspyr,

It's great to see Civ 4 coming to the Macintosh!!

richmlow
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
12 GB RAM
AMD FirePro D300 (Dual GPU, 2048MB VRAM each)
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

#19 Ben

Ben

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:03 PM

Civ IV uses the Gamebryo engine, right?

Does that increase the likelihood of seeing other Gamebryo based games (Pirates and Freedom Force 2 in particular)?

Ben

#20 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:06 PM

Gobli_Witchlord, on October 27th 2005, 11:20 AM, said:

So PBEM Mac-PC compatibility would be a ~major~ incentive for me to get CivIII Complete as well as CivIV.

Civ3 features PBEM, and it should work between PCs and Macs. Netplay will be Mac-only for Civ3, and should be cross-platform (in theory) for Civ4. Of course, I can't vouch for the cross-platform play in Civ4 until we get a little farther along to guarantee it. I don't know if there's PBEM for Civ4 - I honestly haven't followed it that close yet.

Also, I hope Aspyr will be keeping up with any new updates from Firaxis... My PC friends still play Civ regularly, because there were important expansions every year. But the CivIII hasn't been updated from 2002 til now.

View Post

Civ3 was last updated in 2004 with the 1.22 patch for Conquests. So yeah, it did see frequent updates on the PC side, although I beleive it has been patched for the last time. Our intention is to stay abreast of any future patches, both for Civ3 and Civ4. You can bet that I'll be playing Civ4 quite a bit, so I'm every bit as anxious to keep current as everyone else. I hate being a second-class citizen. :)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com