56 replies to this topic

#41 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

Lovely looking game (saw it way back when you first posted on the Garage games website) ... but where are the Hurricanes?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#42 Minardi

Minardi

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

Like others, I have had problems with Fly II in OSX. For years I ran it fine in 10.2.8 on an iMac, iBook, and Powerbook. However, I installed it on a G4 tower running 10.4.6 about a month ago and had no luck. It will not even get as far as the loading screen. I wonder if anyone else has experienced such problems.
-Michael Ryan
Home: MacBook Pro 13" - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz - 4GB, 1TB, 256MB GeForce 9400M
Office: MacBook Air 13" - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz - 2GB, 128GB SSD, 256MB GeForce 9400M
Office: PowerPC G4 1.5GHz - 512MB, 80GB, 64MB Radeon 9200, 14" Mini LCD

#43 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:50 AM

View Postzoombapup, on May 15th 2006, 05:39 PM, said:

Yep, easy change. I'll probably add that to a bind script. Essentially you can set your own view info, things like FOV, angle of views etc.

Normally I'm in either cockpit look mode (i.e. virtual look around), using a padlock, or have the cockpit switched off centered forward on guns. But I can see this being useful for those with joysticks with a bazillion switches and knobws :)

I've found virtual cockpit (cockpit look mode) where you have to slew the view does not work so good if someone is in your six and you need to switch the view from rear right to rear left in a hurry. You need to be able to instantaneously switch the view. The danger with padlock I've seen is if the enemy aircraft ends up below you and the padlock view ends up looking at your feet- real bad for attitude awareness. :) The system I described with 1/4 views around the horizon plus a 45/90 toggle up is an outstanding view system, and it seems the most realistic, the best for maintaining situational and attitude awareness. My stick has an 8-way hat switch for horizon views and a pinkie button to toggle 45/90 up.
Thanks!

#44 zoombapup

zoombapup

Air Ace Online

• Developer
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

I dunno, if you have a trackir, thats usually the most natural for actually keeping an eye on an opponent.

Most players probably switch off cockpit mode anyway, at least in Air Attack (spiritual ancestor to Air Ace).

#45 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

Added Air Aces Online link.

#46 Rank Xerox

Rank Xerox

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:29 PM

View PostHuntn, on November 14th 2005, 02:23 PM, said:

Is anyone playing WWII online? Communictions with the publisher are unreliable. If your playing, can you tell me if there is any solo game play? And is there any A.I. controlled vehicles.

Thanks!

-Hunt'n

Yes, I've been playing since 2002 but I don't fly ingame. The vet-pilots is too good for me. B)

WWIIOL is a 100% PvP game so it lack any kind of single mission game feature. All action happens on the game server.

The off-line mode is just for testing the equipment to learn how it works. Just as in real life, you need learn the strenght and weakness of your equipment before you use it in hot situations.

WWIIOL is a MMOFPSG with no NPC or bots is the only AI you find stationary AI, in four different forms:
1) MG towers or pits with a 30 arc as a defense against infantry.
2) ATG with a 30 arc as a defense against armour.
3) One AA-MG in each Armybase. These litttle buggers quite accurate if you get close (400 meters I estimate). Just to force pilots to get off the deck.
4) Heavy AAA around Airfields and Industrial Facilities. The heavy AAA is 7.5cm to 8.8cm guns with a range of 6000 meter. The closer you get the more accurate the guns get.

The heavy AA Flak is an awesome experience. Nowdays can you spawn from any town of the game map in off-line mode. That means that you can spawn a bomber and fly to the enemy's industrial facilities for test runs. The AI AAA is active just as in Online mode. But the flight might still be a good 20-30 minute flight since the industrial facilities is at the rear.

#47 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:59 PM

View PostRank Xerox, on July 28th 2006, 07:29 PM, said:

Yes, I've been playing since 2002 but I don't fly ingame. The vet-pilots is too good for me. B)

WWIIOL is a 100% PvP game so it lack any kind of single mission game feature. All action happens on the game server.

The off-line mode is just for testing the equipment to learn how it works. Just as in real life, you need learn the strenght and weakness of your equipment before you use it in hot situations.

WWIIOL is a MMOFPSG with no NPC or bots is the only AI you find stationary AI, in four different forms:
1) MG towers or pits with a 30 arc as a defense against infantry.
2) ATG with a 30 arc as a defense against armour.
3) One AA-MG in each Armybase. These litttle buggers quite accurate if you get close (400 meters I estimate). Just to force pilots to get off the deck.
4) Heavy AAA around Airfields and Industrial Facilities. The heavy AAA is 7.5cm to 8.8cm guns with a range of 6000 meter. The closer you get the more accurate the guns get.

The heavy AA Flak is an awesome experience. Nowdays can you spawn from any town of the game map in off-line mode. That means that you can spawn a bomber and fly to the enemy's industrial facilities for test runs. The AI AAA is active just as in Online mode. But the flight might still be a good 20-30 minute flight since the industrial facilities is at the rear.

Thanks for the info! I assume players can man the AAA if they want to? (maybe not). From an air combat aspect, this sounds a lot like Warbirds. Did you ever play it?

#48 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:26 AM

View PostHuntn, on July 29th 2006, 03:59 PM, said:

Thanks for the info! I assume players can man the AAA if they want to? (maybe not). From an air combat aspect, this sounds a lot like Warbirds. Did you ever play it?

why don't you go to the ww2online forums?
http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/

big difference between warbirds and ww2ol is that you can fly a lot more different planes in warbirds and in ww2ol you have a lot more different targets.

but in ww2ol you fly in a "real war" while warbirds is just air vs air with some GVs. No big strategic gameplay as in WW2ol / battleground europe. planes are limited and you have to join a mission to fly - it's gone
when you crash the plane and has to be reproduced. also ranks are important in ww2ol because you can only fly some planes when you have a higher rank.

another difference is that people fight for one side (germany or french/uk) only in most cases.

if you love bf109s and you are searching for a mac-only squad to join in ww2ol then ask us: http://www.macattack.org

btw: i think this video is good to see whats going on in the game:

#49 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

View Postv-i-c-, on August 6th 2006, 02:26 AM, said:

why don't you go to the ww2online forums?
http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/

big difference between warbirds and ww2ol is that you can fly a lot more different planes in warbirds and in ww2ol you have a lot more different targets.

but in ww2ol you fly in a "real war" while warbirds is just air vs air with some GVs. No big strategic gameplay as in WW2ol / battleground europe. planes are limited and you have to join a mission to fly - it's gone
when you crash the plane and has to be reproduced. also ranks are important in ww2ol because you can only fly some planes when you have a higher rank.

another difference is that people fight for one side (germany or french/uk) only in most cases.

if you love bf109s and you are searching for a mac-only squad to join in ww2ol then ask us: http://www.macattack.org

btw: i think this video is good to see whats going on in the game:

Thanks v-i-c for the info! Maybe one day I'll give it a go. Is the macattack.org link for WW2ol specifically or for mac flight sims in general?

#50 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

View PostHuntn, on October 20th 2006, 07:18 AM, said:

Thanks v-i-c for the info! Maybe one day I'll give it a go. Is the macattack.org link for WW2ol specifically or for mac flight sims in general?

It's for mac flight sims in general. We came from WarBirds but today most players in the Squad are playing Targetware or WWIIOL.

#51 Rank Xerox

Rank Xerox

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

The site for WWII Online: Battleground Europe is now at this address: http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

#52 Rank Xerox

Rank Xerox

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

View PostHuntn, on July 29th 2006, 03:59 PM, said:

The AAA I described above is AI-runned (the AA-MG inside every Army Base and the Heavy AAA around Airfields and Deep See Port as well as Industrial centras). But the players can spawn their own AA guns. Some players are very good with their Bofors guns. I have seen videos where the AA-gunner repeatedly takes down EA at 2km altitude.

Below is a description one of the players (Insight) gave an old Aces High player who was considering to migrate his squad of some 30 members to WWII Online (which they did about a week later :)).

The air game in this game has a pretty damn strong impact on the larger war going on on the ground, and is THE single biggest rewarding factor for me when it comes to flying. In fact, I honestly wonder how so many supposed-hardcore flight sim people can actually play games like IL-2 and pretty much all of the others without getting very bored before long.

Like so many other things in this game, every little action you take and every single kill you make has a sort of butterfly effect that swells up to change the outcome of the battle, and eventually the larger war. In the air, this could mean happening upon an enemy transport with 20+ paratroopers, who just might have taken your airfield town that's under attack had you not gotten to them first.

Or it could mean intercepting a large flight of bombers that just spent the last 60 minutes flying behind lines to destroy your factories, critically cutting the resupply rate and making it a *lot* harder for the ground guys to dig in or advance.

One of my favorite things to do is hunt enemy trucks, both on the ground (in the 232) or in the air (110, usually). With mobile spawns having the power they have, disabling just 2-3 enemy trucks in a 10 minute period could have a huge outcome on the battle. Likewise, bombing a bunch of towed AT or AA guns that were about to set up around your town could mean a handful of your side's tanks live to kill a larger handful of the enemy's tanks....or a handful of your side's bombers can now safely hunt and destroy an even larger handful of the enemy's tanks and trucks. "Airquake" can completely shut down an enemy forward base, or even an army base.

But when the enemy has a stronger presence over a town you're hoping to capture or hold, it has a huge impact. Once air dominance has been established, it often takes a rather larger, organized wing of planes attacking together to put the balance back in your hands. Otherwise, the enemy has the luxury of setting up a BARCAP screen and spreading out their planes' altitudes from the ground way up to 6k, making it real easy for them to pick off the guys trying to attack them one by one.

And as an Axis player, air superiority is critical if we want any sort of air-to-ground CAS. Our bombers generally pack a bigger punch, but are quite a bit slower and more vulnerable to AA and enemy fighters. Without firm control over the skies, there's not an awful lot our stukas and he-111s can do.

And then there's the whole strategic importance of airfields in the game. Because of the air game's power, airfield towns are pretty sought-after targets of attack. An advance could often be bogged down for days just short of an enemy airfield, but once it's captured, it really helps push the air power forward to keep the momentum going....not to mention the impact to the enemy's morale!

Really, every aspect of this game is pretty deep, and if you guys care at all about the idea of teamwork and supporting a larger effort, I'm sure you will absolutely love what this game offers. I'm of the same vein, and I honestly couldn't bear to play any other air sim where shooting down the enemy means nothing at all behind just another frag. It's way deeper than that here -- in the air *and* on the ground -- and it's what's keep me so hopeless addicted for so damn long. :)

And (as if I haven't written enough!), I've got to say that one of the other huge rewards is the direct teamwork and that takes place between the ground and air. It's not at all uncommon for requests for air support to be made on the air channels from ground guys when they need the hand. From simple recon, to CAP, to CAS...neither branch could do their thing quite as successfully without the other, and when someone spends the time to tell you exactly where to find the target they need killed, and then you go out of your way to seek it out and kill it....well, damn, there's no better gaming experience in my mind.  :)

#53 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

OSX SkyFighters 1945 does not work in Snow Leopard and with the passing of the creator earlier this year, this line of games and this excellently playable sim are defunct.  very sad on many levels.

i thought this game had the perfect blend of playability and accuracy and was just plain fun.

what will replace in on my machine?  i have no idea.

#54 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

View Postfabforrest, on September 12th 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

OSX SkyFighters 1945 does not work in Snow Leopard and with the passing of the creator earlier this year, this line of games and this excellently playable sim are defunct.  very sad on many levels.
i thought this game had the perfect blend of playability and accuracy and was just plain fun.

what will replace in on my machine?  i have no idea.

Donald Hill died? Holy popsnizzle! I've played his games since the black and white wireframe version of P51 Mustang on my Mac Plus. Crap, that's terrible. I've emailed him over th years and he's always been a great guy to chat to.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#55 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:29 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on September 12th 2009, 05:12 PM, said:

Donald Hill died? Holy popsnizzle! I've played his games since the black and white wireframe version of P51 Mustang on my Mac Plus. Crap, that's terrible. I've emailed him over th years and he's always been a great guy to chat to.

i agree, he was very responsive and his stuff was great.  in april, i think, of cancer.

#56 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

View Postfabforrest, on September 12th 2009, 05:29 PM, said:

i agree, he was very responsive and his stuff was great.  in april, i think, of cancer.

Yup, cancer. In February. One of his games, Sop vs Fokker made it to the iTunes Store. Man, I'm bummed now.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#57 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

someone figured out that some of the texture files were causing the problems and redid them.

the new files and instructions can be found here.

skyfighters fix

i applied and am flying again.