Syzygy

Notorious

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

placy, on November 23rd 2005, 03:59 PM, said:

I came across a copy of Fly! II for the Mac the other day.  Any major issues folks had
running this on either OS9 or OSX?

View Post

Just a few:
- Unacceptably low framerates, even on my dual-2.5 G5 with Radeon X800.
- Randomly decides to mute sound every so often, must be unmuted
- Not sure about this, but I could swear some GPS functionality is missing that used to be there.  Some pages or options that no longer exist or are inaccessible.
Tim Morgan, Flight Sim Guru

#22 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:20 AM

placy, on November 23rd 2005, 04:59 PM, said:

I came across a copy of Fly! II for the Mac the other day.  Any major issues folks had
running this on either OS9 or OSX?

View Post

I never flew Fly! II, but I remember hearing people complaining about it. Sorry, not a very helpful answer.

-Hunt'n

#23 The Red Scare

The Red Scare

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:01 PM

back in the late 80's and early 90's, I used to play a great little game called "P-51 Mustang."  You could fly anywhere in Europe, and navigate by using a paper map and compass that came with the game which you could use to plot your course (meaning you actually had to do a bit of math to find out how to get places).  It had fantastic 3-D graphics for its time, and was a great dogfight simulator.

I highly doubt this would work in Classic, or even OS9 for that matter, but its definitely worth checking out if you have an older machine and can find it.  (i played it first on my Mac SE, and later on my Performa with 16 colors)

Posted Image
Check out my beats and stuff...
http://www.soundclick.com/redscare

#24 Aleksi

Aleksi

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:09 AM

Syzygy, on October 31st 2005, 06:00 PM, said:

Fly! II always has been OS 9 and OS X compatible.

View Post

I never got to make my cpoy ork on OS X. Kept crashing all the time!

By the way, wasn't Flight Simulator being ported to mac?

#25 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:48 AM

Aleksi, on December 8th 2005, 04:09 PM, said:

By the way, wasn't Flight Simulator being ported to mac?

View Post

No. Bold Games (now owned by Destineer Publishing) once (year 2001, if the memory serves) announced that they would port MSFS 2002 to Mac and that announcement got even published on Apple's gaming site, but eventually the whole project turned out to be vaporware.

#26 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:28 PM

Ari, on December 8th 2005, 10:48 AM, said:

No. Bold Games (now owned by Destineer Publishing) once (year 2001, if the memory serves) announced that they would port MSFS 2002 to Mac and that announcement got even published on Apple's gaming site, but eventually the whole project turned out to be vaporware.

View Post

I remember the announcement too. :(

If by some strange reason, you've not noticed (not you Ari), the IMG Flight Sim Roundup 2006 is now published. Since 2006 is less than a month away, I decided to give it the 2006 label.

BTW, I don't know how many of you flight sim types read PC Gamer but in the Jan issue some flight sim stats were posted which I'll repeat for some perspective on how weak the flight sim market is even on the PC side. I would assume there are 1/10 the number of Mac gamers (as PC Gamers) and those interested in flight sims are even less so you can see the challenge of producing a profitable flight sim for the Mac...

Flight Simulator 2004 (MS) Rel- Aug 03, Sold- 677,300 units for $28,400,000
Lock On: Modern Air Combat (Ubisoft), Nov 03- 51000 units for $1,500,000
Pacific Fighters (Ubisoft), Oct 04- 41,100 units for $ 1,500,000
Wings Over Vietnam (Destineer), Oct 04- 29,300 units for $823,400
Falcon 4.0 Allied Force (Graphsim), Jun 05- 19,500 units for $574, 400.

-Hunt'n

#27 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

If I were you guys, I'd try out Freespace 2--it's now free, and it was rated 9.4 by Gamespot when it was released back in '99.  If you loved Descent, X2: The Threat, or F/A-18 Hornet, you'll love Freespace 2!  I can't believe they're giving it away for free now.!

http://www.versiontr...fo/macosx/28874
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#28 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:06 AM

View PostCaryMG, on January 19th 2006, 04:24 PM, said:

It's free -- ya just hafta pay a couple of bucks for postage.
Click here to order > "Fighter Squadron"
Later!
:)  :)  :)

Our Price: FREE + s&d
Publisher: Activision
Platform: Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP<<<-------------------- :P
Availability: IN STOCK

-Hunt'n

#29 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:11 AM

I like the italics- very Cosmo! :)

(It was a very well-reviewed game; just, AFAIK, never released on the Mac. Late '98).

#30 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:01 AM

I changed the name of this thread from Flight Sim Round Up 2005 to Mac Flight Sim Links 2006. My intention is to keep a list of updated links for Mac flight sims. Today I added a link for the IMG Feature: Mac Flight Sim Roundup 2006. For any submissions, I'll be happy to add them to the first post. Thanks!

-Hunt'n

#31 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

Also, can we please keep this for current FLIGHT SIMS not sci fi space sims and old stuff ?

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#32 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

View PostWSTE_M, on January 23rd 2006, 12:44 PM, said:

Also, can we please keep this for current FLIGHT SIMS not sci fi space sims and old stuff ?

W

The list will remain focused on real flight sims. If the old stuff can be purchased online, I see no problem listing it. I don't want to list arcade games which sci-fi space sims could be categorized as, but I won't rule them out completely as a category: space sims. You can see that X2 is not currently listed......

-Hunt'n

#33 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

View PostHuntn, on January 23rd 2006, 08:46 PM, said:

The list will remain focused on real flight sims. If the old stuff can be purchased online, I see no problem listing it. I don't want to list arcade games which sci-fi space sims could be categorized as, but I won't rule them out completely as a category: space sims. You can see that X2 is not currently listed......

-Hunt'n

It was directed at the people posting in the thread. Pease brother :cool:

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#34 Hellman

Hellman

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

Someone pointed this out to me recently:

http://www.airaceonl...om/default.aspx

It looks like the same banner from Stormchasers Studios http://www.stormchaserstudios.com/ and shares the same name and very similar logos. The site news is not dated and its not clear what platforms are being supported. Maybe someone can do some digging?

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:00 AM

View PostHellman, on January 23rd 2006, 08:12 PM, said:

Someone pointed this out to me recently:
http://www.airaceonl...om/default.aspx

The following info was provided by the developer of Air Ace Online. I've asked what the time frame is and will post as soon as I hear.

Yes, there's a mac version in the works. It currently will be the non-shader version but depending on the mac support we might get the shader version of the game up on macs too (its definitely something I want to do). But mac support is high on the agenda for sure.

-Hunt'n

#36 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:34 AM

Update from the Air Ace developer concerning a Mac version:

My best guess is "Before October" :)

#37 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:47 AM

Two OS9 flight sim links added. If you know of any other Mac flight sims not included in the list in the first post please add your response to this thread. Thanks!

-Hunt'n

#38 zoombapup

zoombapup

Air Ace Online

• Developer
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:14 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm the dev lead of Air Ace (link above: www.airaceonline.com if your interested).

Just to confirm, I'll be trying my damndest to get Air Ace ready for show at IGC in October. They usually have around 20 big old macs with lovely screens there, so I'm damn well going to have the game on them if possible.

Right now Mac dev is basically a given, seeing as we're big mac fans, but it will mean I've got to get the graphics engine in place on the mac, luckily all development is cross platform by nature, so it really shouldnt be too much of a problem.

I really do want to try and support the mac as much as possible, hopefully we can get some help from apple dev rel (I've had verbal backing before but we'll see if it materialises into anything useful).

I would expect pretty much the exact same feature set as the PC version, barring anything crazy not working on the macs (we do have some pretty esoteric things to go in, like trackir support, support for 3800x1024 resolution over 3 monitors, support for networked viewpoints (i.e. if you have 20 machines you can use a different view of the same plane on each one, ala bomber views etc.

Anyway, I've not made that clear enoughy on the website, so I'm going to have to put something on there. Anyone got a "mac friendly" gif I can use? :)

.Zoom.

BTW: hellman, yeah, that stormchaser studios site was when I was working on a space game. Unfortunately with these things, it hit a barrier (i.e. work started getting ugly for time again).

Now my job is a lot friendlier to game dev (I teach it) so doing Air Ace is a lot smoother.

Check out some articles I've got coming on SimHQ.com soon for more info on the game.

#39 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:33 PM

Thanks Zoom for posting the info! :)

Regarding this flight sim, you may all ready have planned this feature, but I feel it's a must that you have quarter views for 360, something that can be selected with a thumb switch. Also the ability to toggle up and down  your view 45 and 90 in all of the different clock views would be nice too. Virtual cockpit where you slew the view is not nearly as effective IMO as an instantaneous shift.

#40 zoombapup

zoombapup

Air Ace Online

• Developer
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

Yep, easy change. I'll probably add that to a bind script. Essentially you can set your own view info, things like FOV, angle of views etc.

Normally I'm in either cockpit look mode (i.e. virtual look around), using a padlock, or have the cockpit switched off centered forward on guns. But I can see this being useful for those with joysticks with a bazillion switches and knobws :)