15 replies to this topic

#1 gashkenazi

gashkenazi

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:22 PM

Can anyone recommend a good flightstick for x-plane?

I'm giving it as a gift to an actual pilot and wanted it to be the most realistic flight stick possible.

Thanks

#2 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:42 PM

I have CH Products 568 Combatstick USB. It's a bit expensive but a very good stick. Works well with X-Plane. I have also CH Products Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, which makes flying much more enjoyable and realistic, but all three would make a very expensive gift.

You said that your friend is a real pilot, what kind of planes he likes to fly? The reason I'm asking is that from X-Plane.org forums I've gathered that many real general aviation pilots seem to prefer yokes instead of sticks. But of course a stick is good for wider variety of aircraft, especially for helicopters and fighters, but naturally other types too.

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 22 October 2005 - 04:57 AM

CH products are (mostly) all execellent. For me, they're the Wacom of joysticks ... excelent quality and well worht the money.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:41 AM

Saitek is also worth a look.

#5 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

If he's after a joystick, I'd heartily recommend the Saitek X52. If he's after something more general aviation, get him a yoke setup. Can't go wrong with the unholy amounts of axis on the X52, though ;) Only the latest version of X-Plane 8 actually supports them all.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#6 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 12:04 AM

I wouldn't buy a  twist grip joystick, since you said that you want realism for the controller. At least I haven't heard of a real plane that uses twist grip. :P I'm supposing that twist grip versions are generally a little more expensive too, because of this extra exis. For as realistic simulator flying experience as possible your friend needs to get rudder pedals with differential toe braking, such as CH Pro Pedals.

Of course, I understand that there are situations where a twist grip stick is a good solution: such as needing the money (that pedals would cost) for better purposes and  I admit that the pedals don't necessarily look good under my desk (wife agrees to this ;) ) especially if one has limited space.

So, for an entry level controller a twist grip stick might be a good solution after all -  not knowing the situation... He could always upgrade to pedals later on and in such a case he could easily leave the twist axis ignored in X-Plane settings. Best solution would be to ask him directly what he desires, if that is possible. But it wouldn't be a surprise gift anymore, would it? ;)

Hope I didn't make it any more complicated than it already is... :happy:

By the way, you could always check x-plane.org's hardware forum, there's been some discussion about what might be the optimal joystick for X-Plane and possible problems with certain types etc:
http://forums.x-plan...hp?showforum=14

#7 hack

hack

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

dehulk_9000, on October 22nd 2005, 12:47 PM, said:

If he's after a joystick, I'd heartily recommend the Saitek X52. If he's after something more general aviation, get him a yoke setup. Can't go wrong with the unholy amounts of axis on the X52, though ;) Only the latest version of X-Plane 8 actually supports them all.

View Post

Could I ask what OS your running? I wasn't aware the Saitek X52 worked on a Mac.

#8 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:46 AM

I also recommend the CH Products Combatstick 568 and Pro Throttle.

I've been told (not verified) that the Saitek X52 also works on the Mac. However as far as I know, the Saitek software is not Mac compatible. But if you play a game like X-Plane which has jostick configuration built into the game, then it does not matter.

-Hunt'n

#9 gashkenazi

gashkenazi

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

Ari, on October 21st 2005, 10:42 PM, said:

I have CH Products 568 Combatstick USB. It's a bit expensive but a very good stick. Works well with X-Plane. I have also CH Products Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, which makes flying much more enjoyable and realistic, but all three would make a very expensive gift.

You said that your friend is a real pilot, what kind of planes he likes to fly? The reason I'm asking is that from X-Plane.org forums I've gathered that many real general aviation pilots seem to prefer yokes instead of sticks. But of course a stick is good for wider variety of aircraft, especially for helicopters and fighters, but naturally other types too.

View Post

He currently flies a B2 stealth bomber and F14 Tomcat . . .

Actually some sort of Cessna type and he just went to N.C. to look/buy a stunt plane. I know, not real technical. He isn't the type to play games but I think if he had this with a realistic experience, it might win him over. Thanks for the advice.

#10 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

Ari, on October 21st 2005, 11:42 PM, said:

I've gathered that many real general aviation pilots seem to prefer yokes instead of sticks. But of course a stick is good for wider variety of aircraft, especially for helicopters and fighters, but naturally other types too.

View Post

I'm not disputing your perception but I'll volunteer that Airbus A320s passenger aircraft have joysticks. :)

-Hunt'n

#11 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:44 PM

A Cessna pilot might prefer a yoke/ throttle/ pedal setup, unless he got enough of that in real life and might prefer WWII or helo sims.

#12 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5168 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:25 PM

I personally hate yokes, even after flying Cessnas. Feels too much like I'm driving a flying car. :)

A stick is the way to go, at least in my opinion. Just feels more comfortable and natural for a 3-axis environment. Not to mention it's MUCH better for rotorcraft. Flying a chopper with a yoke = ye gods.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:11 PM

Frost, on October 27th 2005, 05:25 PM, said:

Flying a chopper with a yoke = ye gods.

Usually followed shortly thereafter by the sound of crashing metal and the smell of burning stuff.
:)
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#14 Frost

Frost

PowerPC Inside

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5168 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:20 PM

DaveyJJ, on October 27th 2005, 09:11 PM, said:

Usually followed shortly thereafter by the sound of crashing metal and the smell of burning stuff.

View Post

Heh heh, exactly. :)

It's actually doable, but it's like those guys on jackass... you gotta be a masochist to do more than play around with it just to see how bad it is.
Cypher (PowerMac G5 Quad) – 2x2.5 GHz PPC 970MP / 16GB ECC RAM / 1TB WDC Velociraptor, 2TB STX Constellation ES.2 / QuadroFX 4500 512MB
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.2 GHz Ci7 4770K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Crucial M550 M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 3TB STX Barracuda / GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB
Chromium (MacBook Pro Early 2008) – 2.6 GHz C2D T9500 / 4GB RAM / 960GB Crucial M500 / GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
Antimony (PowerBook G4 Titanium) – 1.0 GHz PPC 7455 / 1GB RAM / 480GB OWC Mercury Legacy Pro / Radeon 9000 64MB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#15 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:27 PM

DaveyJJ, on October 27th 2005, 09:11 PM, said:

This is bad? :)

Frost, on October 27th 2005, 11:20 PM, said:

Heh heh, exactly. :)

It's actually doable, but it's like those guys on jackass... you gotta be a masochist to do more than play around with it just to see how bad it is.
I was actually more thinking the small yoke-on-stick type, but forgot they don't make those for games. :blush:

#16 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:21 AM

Huntn, on October 24th 2005, 04:46 AM, said:

I also recommend the CH Products Combatstick 568 and Pro Throttle.

I've been told (not verified) that the Saitek X52 also works on the Mac. However as far as I know, the Saitek software is not Mac compatible. But if you play a game like X-Plane which has jostick configuration built into the game, then it does not matter.

-Hunt'n

View Post

Hell, I'll verify it. I fly Warbirds regularly with it :) All the functionality is there, it's a HID compliant device. What you don't get, though, is the software integration of the LCD screen and the ability to adjust the brightness of the LEDs. Other than that, any compatability problems are with the game, not the stick.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker