Jump to content


WoW VS The Compeition


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:13 PM

This is a highly opinionated post so differences of opinion are welcomed. :)

If you remember back during the World of Warcraft beta, all the hoopla surrounding Everquest 2, the outstanding EQ2 screen shots, and the repudation of it's predecessor, Everquest appeared to set the standard for MMORPG fantasy gaming. But after being accepted into the WoW beta, I became a WoW addict, it's so good. But sadly the most fun I'm having is leveling characters. Post level 60 game play has been, well, its been a let down. How many times can I stand to run through Schol or Strath? Battlegrounds seems to be a gaggle, all though I admit, I have not been part of a well oiled fighting machine. Actually WoW post 60 level game-play should be the subject of a different post, so I'll let it lay there for now. :)

So in the shadowy parts of my brain, a thought lingered- could there be another MMORPG that was superior? A friend and myself decided to check out the competition- Guild Wars and Everquest 2 Trial of the Isle on our PCs. Granted our exposure to the competition was brief, but first impressions say a lot. Unanimously we walked away with reinforced opinions that WoW is the best fantasy based MMORPG available and its playable the Mac. It proves that technology does not have to be a barrier and thank God for Blizzard and it's Macintosh roots.

WoW is the best, but it's not perfect. It's Advantages are: Fast paced game-play, Social Aspects, Raids/Teamwork, Open free to roam, Minimal Zone Loads, good quests, outstanding environment and graphics, smooth flowing characters who fit in the environment, & outstanding character models. Disadvantages are: Pressure to Level*, Competition at Quest Locations, Lag in populate areas, L60 game play not as fun as leveling quests.

* Pressure to Level is a big negative, most likely a characteristic of all MMORPGs that also adds to it's addictive nature, reducing the tendency to take your time and enjoy the exploration and discovery aspects of the game, effectively putting the players into a rush mode. My impression is that pressure to level is not a characteristic of solo RPGs.

Guild Wars primary advantage is no monthly fees, and nice graphics. It's character models are o.k. It's primary disadvantage is all it's questing space is in protected instanced zones. This makes it impossible to form pickup parties out in the countryside. But the advantage is that there is no competition in questing locations. It's a tradeoff and very subject to personal preference. I prefer WoW's setup and environment despite the monthly WoW fee. :)

EQ2- a let down from the start. The touted vocalization of NPCs is ho-hum, despite the higher poly count, the colors look drab in comparison with WoW's rich environment, characters creation tools have more choices than WoW, but characters look funky, move stiffly, and the quest to clear the starting zone from invaders was a serious disappointment. I've also been told (not verified) that the recipes to make items in EQ2 are incredibly complicated and difficult to make. EQ2 is a much slower leveling game. I can't say that is good or bad.

When I first played WoW for the first time, I said "Wow!". When I started EQ2  for the first time, I was sad. Why can EQ2 be purchased for $19.95 and WoW is holding it's original $49.95 purchase price with 4 million world wide subscribers and growing? Obviously I'd rank these games in the order listed with WoW on top. If monthly fees are an issue, GW would be an important game addition if it ever gets ported. I'm happy that the Mac community is playing the best MMORPG available today.

Regarding fantasy solo RPGS, Fable is just around the corner. And it would really make me happy Elder Scrolls 4 makes it to the Mac but I've read nothing encouraging about its porting prospects.

-Hunt'n

#2 placebo

placebo

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Location:Massachusetts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

Right now, in my opinion, WoW leads the pack in every aspect but graphics. Although the art is beautiful, it feels wasted on such a low poly count.

And some things are just illogical. How can a creature not drop a "Severed Head" quest item, while another identical instance of the creature does? When I can see IT'S DAMNED HEAD RIGHT THERE ON THE GROUND?

#3 bookman

bookman

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:49 PM

I've haven't play any of the current competitors, because I don't have a PC to play them. But WoW truly blows away earlier games like EQ1 and Shadowbane. I can't imagine liking a game more, in part because I am so familiar with the backstory.

I think it is Blizzard's attention to minute details that impresses me the most. I play often as a Tauren Druid, who has the underwater form. I spend a lot of time exploring underwater, and it is simply amazing to me the diversity and detail of the underwater environments in the game. They aren't quite as rich and diverse as the locales on land, but they are more varied and beautiful than many games range of environments. And I know lots of players who almost NEVER go underwater.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#4 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

placebo, on October 15th 2005, 11:03 AM, said:

Right now, in my opinion, WoW leads the pack in every aspect but graphics. Although the art is beautiful, it feels wasted on such a low poly count.

And some things are just illogical. How can a creature not drop a "Severed Head" quest item, while another identical instance of the creature does? When I can see IT'S DAMNED HEAD RIGHT THERE ON THE GROUND?

View Post


Poly count is a double edge sword. Try to imagine running through Iron Lag with even more polys to slow things down! :) Even with a lower poly count, WoW graphics are better than EQ2's IMO.

bookman, on October 15th 2005, 12:49 PM, said:

I've haven't play any of the current competitors, because I don't have a PC to play them. But WoW truly blows away earlier games like EQ1 and Shadowbane. I can't imagine liking a game more, in part because I am so familiar with the backstory.

I think it is Blizzard's attention to minute details that impresses me the most. I play often as a Tauren Druid, who has the underwater form. I spend a lot of time exploring underwater, and it is simply amazing to me the diversity and detail of the underwater environments in the game. They aren't quite as rich and diverse as the locales on land, but they are more varied and beautiful than many games range of environments. And I know lots of players who almost NEVER go underwater.

View Post


No wonder your avatar is aquatic! :D I think the underwater environment is cool too. I really like the schools of fish.

-Hunt'n

#5 The_O

The_O

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:08 PM

placebo, on October 15th 2005, 10:03 AM, said:

And some things are just illogical. How can a creature not drop a "Severed Head" quest item, while another identical instance of the creature does? When I can see IT'S DAMNED HEAD RIGHT THERE ON THE GROUND?

Obviously you popped it like a pumpkin with your mace!  :lol:

#6 Rubel

Rubel

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Location:Mountain View, HI

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

I've never been much interested in MMORPGs (except for Chip 'n' Dale's, having gotten bored of UO and EQ before. What convinced me to order WoW (did I mention that it's coming today?!) is my impression that the quests and world allow it to feel a little more like a single-player game in that I actually feel that my character might be important and the center of *something*. Even if I'm just another n00b wandering around whacking rats and moss snakes, I'll be exploring mysteries important to my class and race. Or so I hope. Even if the world is very static, it still sounds like more fun. Like more of a traditional RPG.

I dunno. We'll see what I think after tonight!
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#7 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:43 PM

Rubel, on October 18th 2005, 03:23 PM, said:

Even if I'm just another n00b wandering around whacking rats and moss snakes, I'll be exploring mysteries important to my class and race. Or so I hope. Even if the world is very static, it still sounds like more fun. Like more of a traditional RPG.

I dunno. We'll see what I think after tonight!

View Post


If you can avoid the rat race (the leveling race), here's a thumbs up to you! :) Taking your time and exploring could be lots of fun. :)

-Hunt'n

#8 Rubel

Rubel

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Location:Mountain View, HI

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

While we're on the subject, I thought I'd save a little time by downloading the full patch ahead of time. I'm looking for wow-1.8.0-enus-patch.dmg which appears to only be on Fileplanet. Which means a long wait. Someone should make a torrent! Maybe I will, when I eventually get to download it.

Edit: here it is, in case anyone is installing for the first time or something.
http://www.goosemoon...s-patch.torrent
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#9 Sternum

Sternum

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Location:Your ribcage

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

After much hesitation, I started playing WoW a couple weeks ago. It's easily the most engaging and beautiful game I've ever played. Although some quests can be tedious (kill x number of x and come back, then kill y number of y and come back, etc), the majority have been extremely fun and well-designed. For instance, I took my first trip through the Deadmines on Monday, and it was a blast. Can't wait to do the Stockades this weekend, and maybe hit Shadowfang Keep to finish up my current class quest.

I'm currently playing on a PvP-RP server (Emerald Dream), because I like the tension of PvP, but I can do without the 1337 Bliz-kids that tend to make standard PvP servers suck. The players on PvP-RP seem to be a little more mature and more fun to play with.

#10 Sternum

Sternum

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Location:Your ribcage

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:23 PM

placebo, on October 15th 2005, 11:03 AM, said:

And some things are just illogical. How can a creature not drop a "Severed Head" quest item, while another identical instance of the creature does? When I can see IT'S DAMNED HEAD RIGHT THERE ON THE GROUND?

View Post


I had the same frustration when I was trying to collect severed kobold hands for a quest in Loch Modan. They'd only drop every fifth kobold, so I had to assume that 4 out 5 kobolds have no hands.

#11 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

Rubel, on October 18th 2005, 07:45 PM, said:

While we're on the subject, I thought I'd save a little time by downloading the full patch ahead of time. I'm looking for wow-1.8.0-enus-patch.dmg which appears to only be on Fileplanet. Which means a long wait. Someone should make a torrent! Maybe I will, when I eventually get to download it.

Edit: here it is, in case anyone is installing for the first time or something.
http://www.goosemoon...s-patch.torrent

View Post


Hmm, Well you know this all ready? You can't play unless your playing the latest version of WoW. Might as well use the ingame Blizzard downloader.

-Hunt'n

#12 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

Sternum, on October 19th 2005, 01:23 PM, said:

I had the same frustration when I was trying to collect severed kobold hands for a quest in Loch Modan. They'd only drop every fifth kobold, so I had to assume that 4 out 5 kobolds have no hands.

View Post


You've got to get into the WoW spirit. Some things have horrible drop rates, even hands! Maybe you've been ruining them when you kill the kobolds.  :blink:  :P

Sternum, on October 19th 2005, 01:19 PM, said:

After much hesitation, I started playing WoW a couple weeks ago. It's easily the most engaging and beautiful game I've ever played.

View Post


I totally agree with that assessment.

-Hunt'n

#13 The_O

The_O

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:44 PM

Sternum, on October 19th 2005, 12:23 PM, said:

I had the same frustration when I was trying to collect severed kobold hands for a quest in Loch Modan. They'd only drop every fifth kobold, so I had to assume that 4 out 5 kobolds have no hands.

Ears, not hands.

My theory is the little buggers are trying to frustrate you as much as possible, so the moment before their deaths they cut up their ears.

#14 bookman

bookman

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:57 PM

One advantage to rare drops is you can get rich and rack up XP if the beasts you're going for are at or slightly above your level. I was harvesting turtle meat once, and needed 10. I was rested, so I was getting the XP bonus. I was getting around 400 XP per tutle, and probably took out 60 beofre I had enough meat. That's 24,000 XP right there, plus pockets full of fairly lucrative scales, claws, etc. I went from a low level 29 to nearly level 30 for just doing that one quest. Of course, killing 60 turtles can get kind of old, so I did it over the course of several sessions. There are always other things to keep you busy as well, like trades, etc.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#15 muzein

muzein

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

Huntn, on October 18th 2005, 06:43 PM, said:

If you can avoid the rat race (the leveling race), here's a thumbs up to you! :) Taking your time and exploring could be lots of fun. :)

-Hunt'n

View Post

I agree with that.  On my first character, I avoided the rush to level 60 and just took my time, enjoying quests for their storyline and exploring all the little places around Azeroth.  It took me way longer than most to level up, but it certainly was fun.

#16 Whaleman

Whaleman

    High Priest of Bork

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Location:The Land of Bork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:21 PM

WoW has one HUGE drawback though... it's the only one of the competitors that actively shut the continents out from eachother... so much trouble just to be able to play with your friends across the pond.... STUPID!

And... it's truly not a PvP games. Battlegrounds, hell yeah! But normal PvP? No chance.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#17 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:07 PM

Whaleman, on October 19th 2005, 04:21 PM, said:

WoW has one HUGE drawback though... it's the only one of the competitors that actively shut the continents out from eachother... so much trouble just to be able to play with your friends across the pond.... STUPID!

And... it's truly not a PvP games. Battlegrounds, hell yeah! But normal PvP? No chance.

View Post


Explain yourself!  :lol:

Continents are not shut off from each other. If your referring to Alliance and Horde, they are enemies for the most part and blizzard for the most part has blocked cooperative efforts between them.

Why is it not a PvP game? There are specific PvP servers.

-Hunt'n

#18 Whaleman

Whaleman

    High Priest of Bork

  • IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Location:The Land of Bork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

Huntn, on October 20th 2005, 01:07 AM, said:

Explain yourself!  :lol:

Continents are not shut off from each other. If your referring to Alliance and Horde, they are enemies for the most part and blizzard for the most part has blocked cooperative efforts between them.

Why is it not a PvP game? There are specific PvP servers.

-Hunt'n

View Post


Continents as Asia, Europe and North America ;)

And the game isn't really designed for dynamic PvP like, say, Shadowbane... where you have a political landscape that's completely determined by player action. In WoW, PvP servers just allow high level players go in and mow down the n00bs instead for fun. There's no real element in the PvP that makes it special... the Battlegrounds is the place where playing against the other faction gets really fun... and that's not a PvP exclusive.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#19 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:04 AM

Whaleman, on October 19th 2005, 06:20 PM, said:

Continents as Asia, Europe and North America ;)

And the game isn't really designed for dynamic PvP like, say, Shadowbane... where you have a political landscape that's completely determined by player action. In WoW, PvP servers just allow high level players go in and mow down the n00bs instead for fun. There's no real element in the PvP that makes it special... the Battlegrounds is the place where playing against the other faction gets really fun... and that's not a PvP exclusive.

View Post



Oh, your saying if you live in Europe, you can't play on a U.S. server? I think Blizzard said it was for latency issues. There are ways around that restriction.

The Honor System appears to be ineffective to me. So on a PvP server you take your chances. I guess it comes with the territory. It forces you to think more in terms of group defense.  I do have 2 characters on Twisted Nether, a PvP RP server, but they are too junior to see what contested areas are really like.

-Hunt'n

#20 Joe M.

Joe M.

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:39 AM

Well, I would agree to an extent on PvP. I'm on a PvP server myself and yeah, there isn't a whole lot of open field PvP going on and some people are disappointed by that. On the other hand, a few months ago all we had were bored 60s roaming places like STV, Hillsbrad Foothills and the two Plaguelands griefing anyone they came across. So whatever, I'll deal with whatever they throw my way, and I don't mind that we're mostly all farming honor in artifical PvP situations (my alts can actually quest for more than 5 minutes without being ganked by some ?? undead rogue).

My guild primarily focuses on PvE raiding (we'll have Nef down this week) but we do organize battleground groups a couple times a week and absolutely roll the Horde. Let me just say that BGs are MUCH less fun if you're in disorganized public groups.

As for WoW's low poly count, if you've seen the special edition DVD the game designers talk about toning the game down to run well on most people's machines. I suspect that in a year or two (the expansion?), we'll see some of those high res graphics make their way back into the game... even if it's just optional.

With all the rumors flying around about the Burning Crusade expansion pack and Blizzcon, etc, I really think raiding guilds have a lot to look forward to. To grasp how little we've had in the way of content, understand that we clear MC in less than 4 hours and everything in BWL up to Nef in 6-7 hours (spread over a couple days). And before BWL went in, we had.... MC... possibly the most tedious, poorly designed instance ever conceived. AQ in the next patch with Emerald Dream on the way is thrilling. Plus the rumored expansion instances which, if the rumors are true, will add months and months and months of challenging raid content. I think that if the rumors are accurate, we will see maybe 1/4 of the instances in the XP and the rest released in content patches.

I do worry about the casual gamer being shut out of all this fun stuff. I hope Blizzard includes some new, interesting content for the PvPer and 5-man instancer alike.

Just some random thoughts.  :D