9 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:59 AM

Even though version 2.4 of the OS X America's Army client was in testing, the word now from the official game forums is that the next Mac release won't be until version 2.5 of this free title. While it's not clear why the delay occurred in the first place, it's good news to hear that development has not been scrapped completely.

Here's the word from forum moderator "Ack:"

I can confirm that 2.4 for Mac has been skipped and the next version for Mac will be 2.5.
Stay tuned to IMG for any news on the next version of America's Army. If you're curious, you can also download the latest version of the game from Macgamefiles.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 mtrank

mtrank

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

I hope there's a practical way to download the full version of this.  I recently upgraded to a new Mac and wanted to give it another try since my old one struggled with it.  At 32 KB/s, Bittorrent doesn't cut it and AA's download page only had a link to the Windows version as far as I could tell.  AA's download page is currently under maintenance.  Hopefully, they'll have a link to the full download of the Mac version soon.

#3 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

mtrank, on September 28th 2005, 10:43 AM, said:

At 32 KB/s, Bittorrent doesn't cut it...

View Post

Why not?  That's a decent speed... leave it downloading over night and you'll have it in the morning.  I don't see the problem....
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#4 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3513 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:54 AM

If BitTorrent is giving you slower downloads than HTTP then something fishy is going on. In the simplest case, you're the only one downloading the file and the primary seed(s) give it to you at full speed. Adding more people who want to download the file will slow things down much less than the same situation with a HTTP server, since the downloaders are also uploading.

Something may be wrong with your configuration (open ports etc.), or your ISP may be throttling BT traffic (in which case changing the port will help), or for some weird reason the primary seeds may be limiting their upload rate. Note that if there are a lot of peers downloading a torrent, you will get slow speeds for a while at first. This is because BitTorrent uses a "tit-for-tat" system where peers preferentially upload to those who have uploaded to them. Until you get a few complete pieces (which are usually around 256 kB to 4 MB in size) you won't be able to upload and hence get good download speeds.

#5 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

I downloaded AA with 9.1 KB, and that was not steady, it took me a LOOOOONG while.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#6 FreakSoftware

FreakSoftware

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, this is really cool -- I've been waiting for the 2.4/2.5 update for a long time. The 2.4 downloads are down for "maintenance" so the common thought is that it'll be this week.
-- Seth

#7 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:19 PM

What exactly do you mean? There will be no 2.4 patch, they will skip to 2.5...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#8 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

Askilfeasd, on September 28th 2005, 11:19 AM, said:

What exactly do you mean? There will be no 2.4 patch, they will skip to 2.5...

He means that he's been waiting for it, and that it might be released soon. Every once in a while I lose track of something that's in the pipeline, and vaguely remember some sign that it was to have been released soon, and months go by, then I'm surprised that it hasn't happened yet. Last week was the Doom 3 demo, now this. What's Ryan Gordon got to say about it?

#9 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

I was actually more excited about the X2 demo...

#10 FreakSoftware

FreakSoftware

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:30 AM

One of the army guys said 2.5 was going to ship "next week" back in June (or was it July) and Ryan said that AA was in beta at WWDC so it was good timing. Since that point on it has made sense that the next release would be 2.5 if the Windows version was that far along, but everyone was still talking about 2.4 until now.
-- Seth