benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

Huntn, on October 26th 2005, 03:48 PM, said:

Benj, thanks for the feedback! :)

Hopefully this is not too stupid of a question, but I just looked at this page. Does anyone know if this patch can be applied to the demo? Thanks!
-Hunt'n

View Post

I wouldn't think that the demo could be patched using the patch meant for the full game, no harm in trying though. VP will probably release a fixed demo now that so many people are having issues with it. I assume that they do want to sell as many copies of X2 as they can, and the demo crashing does not exactly tell people it's a stable game.
Dual 1.8 G5 768 MB RAM Radeon 9800  OS:10.4
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#22 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:27 PM

The X2 demo is version 1.4.2.  If you have Mac OS X 10.3.9, you may see a lot of crashes.  I actually found that the demo was more stable than the full game, due to the fact that you don't hit the systems that are incredibly complex.

http://www.macgamefi....php?item=18822
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#23 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

I get lots of GL artefacts with my dual 2.5/10.4.2/x800.  Do they crop up in the full game too?

#24 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

Dr. Geebs, on October 28th 2005, 07:52 PM, said:

I get lots of GL artefacts with my dual 2.5/10.4.2/x800.  Do they crop up in the full game too?

View Post

Can you describe the artifacts?
InsideMacGames.com

#25 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:36 AM

flickering squares around the circular HUD elements and popping textures, mostly.

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:32 AM

If you have the ATI Displays System Prefs panel installed, uninstall it, then reboot and see if the problem clears up.  I had a similar problem with my X850 XT and that solved it for me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:40 AM

Worth a try, altho that was with an older version that didn't yet support the X850XT, no?

#28 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:17 PM

the Battle Cat, on October 29th 2005, 03:32 PM, said:

If you have the ATI Displays System Prefs panel installed, uninstall it, then reboot and see if the problem clears up.  I had a similar problem with my X850 XT and that solved it for me.

View Post

That shouldn't have fixed your problem.  The checkered squares are caused by a bug in the ATI drivers, not by the control panel.
InsideMacGames.com

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:22 PM

I believe it was 4.5.6 that gave me fits.  4.5.6 doesn't support X850XT.  Some games work fine then others don't.  Problems persisted after games, problems of windows and icons smearing across the screen.  I wish they'd fix it.  Sucks to be me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:44 AM

I take it that they are in the full game then

#31 Dimpfinator

Dimpfinator

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:38 AM

Aside from the crashing, the biggest issues I have with X2 is that you can't configure your keys... >_< It's a pretty game, but the interface us pure ****. Oddly enough, disabling effects such as shaders and bump maps had absolutely no effect on performance...t'was strange. I have to say that my FPS were reaaaly lousy during cutscenes that involved people, so I tired of the game pretty quickly, prolly only played for an hour or so because of performance issues (1.33ghz Powerbook) and the crashing.

Oh well. I'm going back to Freespace 1&2 and Vendetta Online. *shrug*

#32 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:09 AM

Just cranked up the patched version of X2 yesterday using MacOS 10.3.9 on my G5 and during the tutorial it crashed. :wall:  Should I bother to continue?

-Hunt'n

#33 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:00 AM

A number of the crashes in 10.3.9 are typically caused by the buggy version of OpenAL included with the game.  10.4 comes with a more stable version but it still causes crashes.  I think OpenAL updates may have been included in a few of the 10.4.x OS updates but I can't comment on the stability.

If you're feeling extra lucky, you can download the recently uploaded version of OpenAL from the OpenAL Subversion source repository, compile it, and use it with X2.  If you're only feeling a little lucky, you can download compiled versions of the libraries from my .Mac account.  They're completed untested.  They're based on a development branch Apple recently uploaded.  It may be more unstable than current released versions of OpenAL.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#34 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:30 PM

View Posta2daj, on April 26th 2006, 12:00 PM, said:

A number of the crashes in 10.3.9 are typically caused by the buggy version of OpenAL included with the game.  10.4 comes with a more stable version but it still causes crashes.  I think OpenAL updates may have been included in a few of the 10.4.x OS updates but I can't comment on the stability.

If you're feeling extra lucky, you can download the recently uploaded version of OpenAL from the OpenAL Subversion source repository, compile it, and use it with X2.  If you're only feeling a little lucky, you can download compiled versions of the libraries from my .Mac account.  They're completed untested.  They're based on a development branch Apple recently uploaded.  It may be more unstable than current released versions of OpenAL.

Thanks for the offer. I guess I would prefer that Apple (or whoever) take care of this problem.

You said a buggy version of OpenAL comes with the game. But then you said that 10.4 is more stable. Is Open AL part of the OS or the game? Just curious.
-Hunt'n

#35 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:41 PM

I am running X2 under Tiger (10.4.6) and it has been absolutely rock-solid.

G5 dual 2GHz, 2G RAM, ATi x800 256M retail.

If you can get it to be stable its a great game. Wish I had a concrete suggestion for you. It might be worth registering for Virtual Programming's forums and seeing if there are any concrete statements being made in there. Or contact the company for tech support.

If you decide to try replacing the OpenAL that's packaged inside the app, make a backup copy of the app first.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#36 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 26th 2006, 02:30 PM, said:

Thanks for the offer. I guess I would prefer that Apple (or whoever) take care of this problem.

You said a buggy version of OpenAL comes with the game. But then you said that 10.4 is more stable. Is Open AL part of the OS or the game? Just curious.
-Hunt'n

With 10.4 OpenAL began shipping with Mac OS X.  Before that, it was available as an installable library.  Games which used OpenAL typically shipped with a version of the library.  That's still the case, particularly if a game is backward compatible with 10.3.9 or older.  Sometimes a game ships with a custom version or a really old version of OpenAL and the game won't work right with the new implementation that Apple worked on.

#37 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:30 AM

View Posta2daj, on April 26th 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

With 10.4 OpenAL began shipping with Mac OS X.  Before that, it was available as an installable library.  Games which used OpenAL typically shipped with a version of the library.  That's still the case, particularly if a game is backward compatible with 10.3.9 or older.  Sometimes a game ships with a custom version or a really old version of OpenAL and the game won't work right with the new implementation that Apple worked on.

I sent Freeverse an email describing my displeasure. They offered this link: http://homepage.mac....AL-20060426.zip  and suggested I upgrade to 10.4. Wasn't this game released under a previous OS? And if it was, it was released in this state? (shaking head) Anyway thanks for the info!
-Hunt'n

#38 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2478 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

Please let us know how you make out. Like I said it's been solid for me, but it would be nice to know of some recourse, aside from "upgrade to 10.4.5+ and cross fingers", for people who are having problems.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#39 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:46 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 27th 2006, 06:30 AM, said:

I sent Freeverse an email describing my displeasure. They offered this link: http://homepage.mac....AL-20060426.zip  and suggested I upgrade to 10.4. Wasn't this game released under a previous OS? And if it was, it was released in this state? (shaking head) Anyway thanks for the info!
-Hunt'n

X2 was released long after Tiger was made available.
InsideMacGames.com

#40 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 27th 2006, 04:30 AM, said:

-Hunt'n

Interesting.  They sent you the same link I did for the dev OpenAL libraries.