56 replies to this topic

#41 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

Well, I have the demo now, though it is odd, the textures are weird and distorted, and it is impossible to see where I am going...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#42 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

I agree that I wish demos were released sooner (as they sometimes are).

But better late then never--thanks, Aspyr! This will also help me judge the performance of the engine for Quake IV (which actually interests me more). And the Doom movie may drum up a fresh wave of sales, too.

Some reasons to release a demo sooner:

* Sell to people who need to test the performance first (like me)

* Generate interest from people who wouldn't have considered the game otherwise

Some reasons to release a demo later:

* An early demo can reduce sales if people get bored too quickly with it

* It won't have the big fixes and improved performance that a later demo would have

* It takes some developer time away from working on the initial patches and fixes

The reasons on both sides makes sense to me. Maybe the best solution is a "test demo" early on--not much content, known bugs permitted, big clear disclaimer on launch. Re-release if there are early performance fixes. And then a "real demo" after a few months. More polished, more content, more time put into it--and delayed enough to HELP sales and not hurt them..

Now--the question is, what has Apple been doing with that OpenGL gaming team they hired a few monthe back? :)

#43 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

I still cannot figure out why the textures are distorted and weird on the demo. :/
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#44 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:26 AM

The pro link problem is because there is no error message telling you to log in. Apparently logging into IMG doesn't log you into MGF. Go figure.
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#45 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

I wonder if it still proforms at the same frame rate as the full version.
What is a man?

#46 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:05 PM

G-News, on September 23rd 2005, 05:17 AM, said:

It simply won't run well enough on a Dual 1.25GHz G4 with Radeon 9700 Pro later in the game, even at lowest settings

Lowest settings? Something tells me you haven't touched your config.

#47 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

bobbob, on September 23rd 2005, 11:05 AM, said:

Lowest settings? Something tells me you haven't touched your config.

View Post

LOL! sadly this is true but there any numerous web sites to help anyone. Tweak for best results and 50+ fps is only around the corner  :happy:
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#48 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:02 PM

Askilfeasd, on September 23rd 2005, 11:51 AM, said:

I still cannot figure out why the textures are distorted and weird on the demo. :/

You have a Radeon 7000.  The minimum requirement is a Radeon 9600.  Do the math.  ;)  (I know it runs on less than a 9600, but not THAT much less....)

--Eric

#49 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

Yeah, I know, but that does not stop me from trying anyway! I got UT2004 running at everything on high with 30 FPS, so I was wondering how this would run, X2 runs fine on my computer.

#50 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:00 PM

I finally beat the demo, I must say, that game is excellent, I was getting a average of around 20 FPS during the whole game, if it wasn't for the weird textures, where I don't really look, I listen to everything to get my way around, because everything else is a shapeless wacko thing, I would buy it, the fights are very fun, sounds are crisp and mildly scary (I love the sound of the pistol), the flashlight is my favorite weapon, I have gotten more kills with it, than any other weapon, altogether I would give DOOM 3 on my terrible system, a 6.4/10

#51 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:07 PM

not a bad score considering your mac! heh
if u get an upgrade and buy the game, then try out mods like: DoubleDoom, Ultimate or Green Tech. Much better weapons and other nice changes too ;-)

#52 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:09 PM

I got a average frames-per-second of about 20, so yeah, it was pretty fun.

#53 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:29 AM

Newer than a Dual 1.25GHz G4 with Radeon 9700 Pro?
Well, obviously that already exists. If you're willing to spend several thousand dollars on a PowerMac G5, of which nobody knows exactly how long it's still going to be of use. I'd personally prefer to see what's coming out of the Mactel camp and then decide on what my next machine should be. I'm not going to be a fool and pay 3500$ for  a computer, just so that I can play Doom3, as long as anything else still runs fine on my machine.

As for the config question: no, I didn't touch it, quite intensionally so.
I used to tweak the hell out of Q3, but that was more of an e-sports game, where atmosphere and looks hardly mattered. Doom3 is all about atmosphere and looks and I'm not going to ruin that just so I can actually play the game.
Now officially the forum idiot

#54 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:38 AM

G-News, on September 24th 2005, 03:29 AM, said:

As for the config question: no, I didn't touch it, quite intensionally so.
I used to tweak the hell out of Q3, but that was more of an e-sports game, where atmosphere and looks hardly mattered. Doom3 is all about atmosphere and looks and I'm not going to ruin that just so I can actually play the game.

I totally agree with your thinking there, but u can still 'tweak' to make things better looking and not just to turn off stuff. Like with caching and AF plus enabling/changing tons of other settings that hardly have a performance hit. It's all trial and error though :)

There's two mods coming out that will improve D3 further still, something for G5 Macs only i guess. But check out: http://www.vector2.com/gameguy/doom3x/  and  http://www.xtreme-lab.net/gtx/
Both WIP of course, though i've played the beta of GTX and it's gonna be a cracker!
G5 ppl only though of course  ;)

#55 KirinRiotCrash

KirinRiotCrash

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:50 AM

If you're getting abyssmal speeds on BitTorrent and using the default ports, I'd suggest you change those ports to something else. Some ISPs may be throttling bandwidth for ports 6881-6889 to minimize traffic usage. I remembered getting around 40 kb/sec using the default ports but when I changed them to something different, I was back at the 500 kb/sec that I'm used to seeing. Try it and see if that fixes your BitTorrent problem.

#56 Mercury

Mercury

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:19 PM

The demo is indeed quite fun, my iMac handled it pretty well, awesome game ;).

In my opinion, Bittorrent sucks, goes awefully slow, and I never have my Firewall enabled, so dunno what's the problem there.
Anyway, I downloaded it from a mirror, using Speed Download, and I got it at about 300k-400kb/sec :).
Coming soon!

#57 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:10 AM

Mercury, on September 25th 2005, 09:19 PM, said:

The demo is indeed quite fun, my iMac handled it pretty well, awesome game ;).

In my opinion, Bittorrent sucks, goes awefully slow, and I never have my Firewall enabled, so dunno what's the problem there.
Anyway, I downloaded it from a mirror, using Speed Download, and I got it at about 300k-400kb/sec :).

View Post

Setting your machines local IP as the default for all incoming traffic in your routers SUA setup will dramatically enhance your download speeds and peer connections. I was getting 2-10KB/sec before I changed that and 130-150KB/sec afterwards (which is the max my ADSL can handle).
Now officially the forum idiot