#21 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:39 PM

Mac_d00d307, on September 22nd 2005, 05:14 PM, said:

It wouldn't work for me. What program are you using? I've tried BitTorrent and Azureus and neither work for me. This would be so much faster if I could figure this out.

EDIT: Tomato doesn't work for me either.

View Post

If it doesn't work for you, then you are having firewall issues.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#22 MacManX

MacManX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, the BitTorrent link works fine here, in general BT is 4x the speed of standard HTTP for me. If it's not working for you, you must have something configured incorrectly.

#23 Mac_d00d307

Mac_d00d307

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:47 PM

MacManX, on September 22nd 2005, 06:27 PM, said:

Yeah, the BitTorrent link works fine here, in general BT is 4x the speed of standard HTTP for me. If it's not working for you, you must have something configured incorrectly.

View Post

Where should I go to configure it?
eMac 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9600, 150 GB HD Mac OS 10.4.7
iPod 5G 60 GB Black :D

Look if you dare...
Some serious ASCII Lovin'

#24 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:03 PM

Mac_d00d307, on September 22nd 2005, 06:47 PM, said:

Where should I go to configure it?

You want BT ports (6881-6999) to be open in your firewall, with the option of forwarding them to your computer.

If you think BT is worse than HTTP you're completely insane, unless you're behind a firewall you can't change.

#25 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

bobbob, on September 23rd 2005, 02:03 AM, said:

If you think BT is worse than HTTP you're completely insane, unless you're behind a firewall you can't change.

View Post

I've always thought that Bittorrent was a lot worse than HTTP, and I've used Bittorrent a lot.  Basically, this is why I think that way:

1.  It can take a few minutes to get up to full speed, and after that, speed can vary wildly.

2.  "Full speed" is usually never as fast as an HTTP connection.

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to download.  If you're downloading a file that just came out 20 minutes ago and all of the FTP & HTTP servers are swamped, then sure, Bittorrent can be faster, but I haven't run into that problem in a year or two.  With Bittorrent, I usually wind up getting anywhere from 50 K/sec to 250 K/sec in a large swarm, whereas I generally get 500K/sec+ from an HTTP connection and 650K/sec from a typical FTP server.  I've actually hit 410 K/sec in Bittorrent, but that's my record, and it only lasted for about 15 seconds.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#26 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

Tuncer (IMG), on September 22nd 2005, 05:38 PM, said:

Can you explain? What's broken about it? I tried it and it works. Please try to use specific explanations so we can fix things ;)

View Post

When you aren't logged in you aren't given an error message, just taken to a directory.
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#27 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:39 PM

Quicksilver, on September 22nd 2005, 07:16 PM, said:

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to download.  If you're downloading a file that just came out 20 minutes ago and all of the FTP & HTTP servers are swamped, then sure

You have to upload to get fast download speeds, which might be hard on asymmetric connections like most broadband plans.

With large groups of people there should be a few seeds and finished people to go around. This is vs. mirrored HTTP/FTP servers, where servers get swamped (like Macologist perpetually is) and people have to pick carefully (as posted above). If those mirrors seeded, they wouldn't get swamped as quickly and they'd share more of the costs.

With less people, we've got a critical-mass problem where the swarm can't take care of its own crippled members. Which is why bittorrent has seeds. If those HTTP/FTP mirrors seeded, the swarm would only degrade to the sum of all the seeds. If that's bad, having (at best) the sum of one mirror isn't much better.

So, I guess you'd have to qualify it that a well-maintained swarm is at least as good as HTTP/FTP, and much, much better for the things that HTTP/FTP are really bad at.

#28 Mac_d00d307

Mac_d00d307

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:42 PM

bobbob, on September 22nd 2005, 07:03 PM, said:

You want BT ports (6881-6999) to be open in your firewall, with the option of forwarding them to your computer.

View Post

Yes! Thank you! It works now! w00t This is so much faster. Screw HTTP.  :lol:  Just kidding, I'll probably still use HTTP sometimes.

EDIT: Woah, I started the HTTP download like 4 hours ago and I just started the BitTorrent, and the BitTorrent is still gonna beat HTTP.  :lol: By a long shot!!

Look if you dare...

#29 Ari

Ari

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:49 PM

There was someone who posted link to much faster servers, but now I notice that his message has been deleted. I wonder why?
Glad I managed to copy the link, though. I'm downloading it now at 300-400kb/s. Downloaded for 10 mins, estimate for 15 mins more.

About Bittorrent...
I've always wondered about instructions that one should open up the firewall... What's the use of a firewall if you open it?

#30 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:52 PM

Ari, on September 22nd 2005, 09:49 PM, said:

What's the use of a firewall if you open it?

What's the use of a firewall if you never open it?

#31 hbbengal

hbbengal

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:46 AM

Glad I pay for the PRO subscription and only the free download works....

#32 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:09 AM

Ari, on September 23rd 2005, 02:49 PM, said:

I've always wondered about instructions that one should open up the firewall... What's the use of a firewall if you open it?

View Post

bobbob, on September 23rd 2005, 02:52 PM, said:

What's the use of a firewall if you never open it?

View Post

A firewall which does nothing but block all incoming connections is next to useless. You can achieve the same effect by turning off all programs which listen on a socket. Marketers have managed to turn a disadvantage of being behind a NAT box (you're unable to receive incoming connections) into a perceived advantage: they call it a firewall.

Good firewalls can have almost arbitrarily complex rules for whether to allow or deny a connection. They can detect suspicious activity (like port scans) and block it, or report it to an admin. They can automatically drop malformed packets. They can do rate-limiting. In short they can implement intelligent policies rather than the "leave the ports for the services I want to receive connections on wide open, but block all the ports I'm not listening on anyway" approach.

#33 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:25 AM

HI so I am with the bittorrent faction :)

keep your clients open, I am sharing this one :)

PS THANKS ASPYR!

m.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#34 G-News

G-News

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:17 AM

Nice demo all in all, but pretty much confirms why I didn't buy this game. It simply won't run well enough on a Dual 1.25GHz G4 with Radeon 9700 Pro later in the game, even at lowest settings. As soon as 2 things move at the same time, framerates drop below 10 and that just isn't really manageable for heavy fighting. I guess I'll have to wait for Apple to release new hardware.
Now officially the forum idiot

#35 calumr

calumr

Zonic Games

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:21 AM

G-News, on September 23rd 2005, 12:17 PM, said:

Nice demo all in all, but pretty much confirms why I didn't buy this game. It simply won't run well enough on a Dual 1.25GHz G4 with Radeon 9700 Pro later in the game, even at lowest settings. As soon as 2 things move at the same time, framerates drop below 10 and that just isn't really manageable for heavy fighting. I guess I'll have to wait for Apple to release new hardware.

View Post

Newer than a Dual 1.25GHz G4 with Radeon 9700 Pro?

#36 Mac_d00d307

Mac_d00d307

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

G-News, on September 23rd 2005, 05:17 AM, said:

View Post

My eMac (see sig for specs) managed this demo quite well on low settings and lowest resolution, and it still looked pretty cool. I got pretty decent framerates unless I'm about to walk into a door, then it freezes for a sec, but then I continue. This demo was awesome! Thank you Aspyr! :)

Look if you dare...

#37 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:21 AM

I was getting terribly HTTP rates and bittorrent rates off of MacGameFiles.com,
But Ari PMed me a different link at 3D Gamers, and I am getting about 100 KB a second!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#38 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:24 AM

They have it on the 3dgamers website and fileshack...

#39 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:56 AM

Yeah...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#40 hbbengal

hbbengal

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 09:01 AM

Tuncer all I can tell you is that when you go to the pro link/hot downloads link.

The page redirects and then does nothing. The download arrow blinks and blinks but never connects.

Anyway i found another download source that seems to be fast and nearly empty.

http://download.file...b97bc3a46bc9b29

Hopefully that link will take a strain off your server.