14 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:04 AM

Yesterday, Ambrosia Software released El Ballo, developed by Pro Ratta Factor. El Ballo features laid back retro-style gameplay and some mature themes. From the Ambrosia website:

Today Ambrosia announced the release of a game that dances to the beat of a different drummer: el Ballo. This soon-to-be-hero jumps on the scene, naked and dirty. (Not dirty in the dirty way, but in the dirty way... Ahem.) On planet Testicular, where clothes are out of fashion and soap never was in, he is having a rough day. Entering the forest to find a gift for his girlfriend, the weather turns from a beautiful morning into a hailstorm of invasion. The evil Dr. Cough has other plans for today: a planet-wide hygiene operation.
The game costs $25 dollars to register, and the 83 meg demo can be downloaded from Macgamefiles.com. To download the demo, or to read more about El Ballo, click the links below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Snypah Nynjah

Snypah Nynjah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

Congratulations on losing your reputation as family friendly and decent game developer Ambrosia!  I used to automatically assume all Ambrosia products were good (until proven otherwise, which rarely occurred), but I'm not even going to bother with this one.

#3 Andcarne

Andcarne

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:39 PM

Why, just because it contains some limited cartoon nudity? That seems like a very silly judgement to pass, if you ask me, without even trying the game. There IS an option to turn off the nudity, you know.

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:54 AM

A sillier judgement to pass is the one you just made about Snypah Nynjah.  He can't have an opinion just because it differs from your sensibilities?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Andcarne

Andcarne

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

the Battle Cat, on September 22nd 2005, 06:54 AM, said:

A sillier judgement to pass is the one you just made about Snypah Nynjah.  He can't have an opinion just because it differs from your sensibilities?

View Post

I never said he couldn't have an opinion, or anything like that, and I never would. All I was saying is that it sounds strange to me to decide not to play a game just because it has some 'mature content'. I'm not really sure what I said to provoke that response of yours, but whatever it was, that's not what I meant.

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:21 PM

But that is still his opinion you are belittling... again.  It's not strange to him.  He gets to have an opinion.  He said he saw enough and doesn't want to bother with it.  A valid response would be, "I disagree, my opinion is X" not "Your opinion is silly because of X".  That's all I was getting at.  I wasn't intentionally dumping on you, I was just sticking up for a member being able to make a personal judgement call.  I'll stick up for you just as much if somebody bags on your opinion.  I was being protective not antagonistic.   :)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Andcarne

Andcarne

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 05:45 PM

Fair enough. I didn't intend to 'bag on his opinion', but I can see how my comment might've come off that way. If I seemed snappy, part of the reason was probably that I've been on the beta team for the game since stage 1, and having seen all the hard work put in by the developers (just two guys doing this in their spare time), it kinda irked me to see (what I read as) someone discarding it offhand just because it had optional mature content. In any case, sorry if I offended anyone.

#8 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:07 PM

Andcarne, on September 22nd 2005, 11:45 PM, said:

Fair enough. I didn't intend to 'bag on his opinion', but I can see how my comment might've come off that way. If I seemed snappy, part of the reason was probably that I've been on the beta team for the game since stage 1, and having seen all the hard work put in by the developers (just two guys doing this in their spare time), it kinda irked me to see (what I read as) someone discarding it offhand just because it had optional mature content. In any case, sorry if I offended anyone.

View Post

One problem is you lose a lot of content in the "cutscenes" if you disable the mature content.  Basically what I'm saying is that the optional content isn't as optional as it sounds.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#9 Andcarne

Andcarne

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

Quicksilver, on September 22nd 2005, 07:07 PM, said:

One problem is you lose a lot of content in the "cutscenes" if you disable the mature content.  Basically what I'm saying is that the optional content isn't as optional as it sounds.

View Post

Hrm. That's odd. It's supposed to just replace them with different images and different names. If you can tell me what wasn't showing up in which cutscenes, I'll pass it on to the beta list so it can be fixed.

#10 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:02 AM

This game sounds very odd, and not in a not bad way.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#11 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:30 AM

If someones scared of a few comic Titty Twisters* youd better get rid of your TV!
Or you might see Marylin Mansons butt, this man is DANGEROUS!

besides that I found El Ballo pretty unexceited, gameplaywise it was ok, but nothing near
the NEWness or extrodinary they hype all about.

Ive played lots of much better JnRs.

regs

*cite from "From Dusk till Dawn"
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

#12 gatti

gatti

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

Quicksilver, on September 22nd 2005, 09:07 PM, said:

One problem is you lose a lot of content in the "cutscenes" if you disable the mature content. Basically what I'm saying is that the optional content isn't as optional as it sounds.

View Post

As the visual designer and creator of El Ballo, I can vouch that only 2 small segments of the cinema scenes have been edited out. Neither alteration detracts anything from the core story. The actual gameplay itself does not change at all and is the same in both "family-friendly" and "original" modes.

#13 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

Family friendly? Doesn't is say on the Ambrosia website "Attention: game designed for MATURE audiences?"
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

#14 gatti

gatti

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:16 AM

Askilfeasd, on September 28th 2005, 09:47 PM, said:

Family friendly? Doesn't is say on the Ambrosia website "Attention: game designed for MATURE audiences?"

View Post

Yes, the game is initially intended for a mature audience. However, to address the needs of other game players that shared concern for the content, we decided to add a "family-friendly" mode. Family-friendly mode will dress up the characters and alter some of the character names.

#15 StopDropBurn

StopDropBurn

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2437 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:14 PM

*Sigh* This is a rather pathetic/boring game, there is no appeal whatsoever in it, I tried it a couple times, to see if I was missing something, but there was very little there in terms on ANYTHING.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.