#21 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:42 AM

Askilfeasd, on September 23rd 2005, 11:35 AM, said:

I am talking about unmodified EV, I dislike cheats.

View Post

I consider a "loophole" like a single-system trade route that lets you build a million creds in half an hour to be two things...
1) essentially a cheat because you're not working your way through the game on a shoestring budget as intended.
2) a pointless time wasting way to build up your cash when you should just admit you're not playing within the spirit of the game anyway and just cheat for 50mil.

I will again put a " :) " in here in hopes that you'll take someone else's post lightly for once  :lol:

#22 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:45 AM

h16sailor, on September 23rd 2005, 12:18 PM, said:

I wanted to love Nova. The graphics are way better, the universe is bigger, everything is just slicker; but, for some reason, I just couldn't make myself play that game, even after I bought a registration.

View Post

Same deal here. I dunno, maybe i was just burnt out on the whole thing by the time Nove showed up... I still would like to put together a custom universe that behaves like CJ Cherryh's "Merchanter" and "Corporate Wars" books, but modding EV to that extent takes a lot more time than I have.

#23 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

Time for my two cents.

For best overall gameplay, Override definitely takes the cake. The whole intrigue elements plus the huge raging war between humanity and some savage aliens, and a wider, uninvolved galaxy of beings with the possibility of being drawn into it, and the fact that you can get along nicely without even ENTERING human or Voinian space. It's great.

EV Classic is right behind that for the ships. I LOVED the ships of EV Classic and felt that's something the next two lacked. There was truly something for every single play style, and I could never confine myself to one for more than a few days if I had the money because I wanted to try out something else. It was nice to bang around in a Kestrel, but then upgrading a Clipper into a heavy fighter or smashing people with the Rapier, or blowing the smitherines out of enemies in the Corvette... ahh. In Override none of the ships really got me going that much, so I just had fun with my UE Destroyer (a friggin devastating AND fast weapon when fully upgraded).

Nova was by far the best in looks and technology, as well as just how much cool stuff you can do with the engine. That said, I hated the storylines. None of them I found very satisfying to complete, and the Federation and Rebel ones were the only major storylines that really grabbed and held my interest prior to an unsatisfying conclusion. There was also the factor that there was SO much you could do, but... only with several pilots. That really put me off.

So, Override, followed by Classic, followed by a distant Nova for me.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#24 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

Nova was my favorite. I've been angry 3 years now, wishing the would make a multiplayer version of this game. It would make a killing. If they can't handle the costs they should sell the rights to someone else who can.

#25 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

WhiteSavage, on September 25th 2005, 12:01 PM, said:

If they can't handle the costs they should sell the rights to someone else who can.

View Post

Or just take a royalty cut so some aspiring new game coders don't have to put together a wad of cash to get started.

Playing EVE Online (PC) has given me a taste of what EV multiplayer could have been, although almost to excess. If I recall correctly, Ambrosia repeatedly said they wouldn't do EV:MP because the story-line system wouldn't work in and MP environment. So... scrap that and make a player-influenced economy, plus put in some bread and butter missions like goods and passenger hauling so people can make a simple living. The story lines will develop between the players and their clans. *dreams a bit more*

#26 rampancy

rampancy

Notorious

• IMG Writers
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:47 PM

For me, it's EV Classic and Override simply because of the great plug-ins which were released for    both those games: for Classic, it was Tim E. Isles' Empire Series, and for EVO, it was Martin Turner's 'interactive novel' The Frozen Heart, and it's sequel, Femme Fatale.

I really wish someone could port them over to Nova.
Mac friendly and open-source games at GOG (Updated semi-regularly.)

#27 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:07 PM

Frozen Heart and Femme Fatale were my two favorite mods for Override.  I kept hoping they would be ported and updated for Nova, but that never happened.   :crying:

Mandrake628

#28 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:56 PM

Of course the original EV was what started it all.  Such a brilliant game with loads of mystery and some real resistance to pushing out and discovering the strangeness on the edge of the universe.  Plus, aliens were imbued with such awesome power that when they showed up you knew you were screwed.  They looked mean, and boy did they not disappoint.

It took me a little while to get into Override, but once I did I loved every bit.  The universe was massive and there was so much more a sense of distance between the different races.  The whole thing was grittier and the story line was very well done.  It was a great idea to start the player off in a run-down human empire only just beginning to take a proper stand against the Voinans (which were themselves very malicious antagonists—and always dangerous).

EV Nova was too slick for me.  It just didn't have the mystery of the original or the diversity and strangeness of the second one.  Granted the tech was neat, but the missions always seemed overspecific about what you had to have done before, and always took the player away from having more options, instead of giving them more.  There was a very scripted feel to it.

#29 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:57 PM

Marble, on October 17th 2005, 05:56 PM, said:

EV Nova was too slick for me.  It just didn't have the mystery of the original or the diversity and strangeness of the second one.  Granted the tech was neat, but the missions always seemed overspecific about what you had to have done before, and always took the player away from having more options, instead of giving them more.  There was a very scripted feel to it.

View Post

Yeah, there you go. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was I didn't like about Nova despite it being a great game, and you pretty much said it. Too slick, too scripted.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#30 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:57 AM

BTW, anybody know how to lay in a route for hyperjumping? I never really understood how to do, though I've played Nova for years

J

#31 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

IIRC, open your map and click a destination, then shift click additional destinations

#32 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:51 AM

Personally I quite enjoyed Nova, but thats probably cos of two main reasons. I messed up my very successful pilot on EV, and lost interest after that (stupid brother's advice), I only got into Override very late in its life, and again lost my character due to having to send off my computer for repair. Once again I didnt bother really getting into it again, though I wish I had now.

Nova was the only game in the series which I knew about in advance, and also allowed me to get into it, because by this time I was backing up my character and cheating by splitting paths if I managed to capture, say, a rebel dragon (theyre great ships)... But i never really got into the story lines, and only finished one of them I think.

Going back to the plugs released, EV seemed rather antiquated, and Override seemed too much to get into.... that and the graphics really shocked me at how old they looked. Sorry, but its true, the graphics turned me off. Now a fully updated version of EVO would be great!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#33 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:40 AM

Morrigan, on September 24th 2005, 01:42 PM, said:

I consider a "loophole" like a single-system trade route that lets you build a million creds in half an hour to be two things...
1) essentially a cheat because you're not working your way through the game on a shoestring budget as intended.
2) a pointless time wasting way to build up your cash when you should just admit you're not playing within the spirit of the game anyway and just cheat for 50mil.

I will again put a " :) " in here in hopes that you'll take someone else's post lightly for once  :lol:

View Post

Not really convinced it's either cheating or against the spirit of the game if you really do toil for those credits - personally i always preferred small, light and quick ships to raid bigger and fatter targets, but to each his own. Just because they're ok with lumbering around with a slow freighter is not really cheating or against the spirit of the game, since you do put in effort to get the payoff.

#34 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:31 PM

kardinal, on October 26th 2005, 06:40 AM, said:

Not really convinced it's either cheating or against the spirit of the game if you really do toil for those credits
My point was just that... that single-system route didn't require toil, so why not just take a -real- admitted cheat if you want to overpower the story lines with uber gear by running a cargo route that looks more like a loophole than anythign else.

#35 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:30 PM

Morrigan, on October 26th 2005, 01:31 PM, said:

My point was just that... that single-system route didn't require toil, so why not just take a -real- admitted cheat if you want to overpower the story lines with uber gear by running a cargo route that looks more like a loophole than anything else.

View Post

Also, I'd say that anything Ambrosia takes out in a patch (namely the opal run) is a borderline cheat.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#36 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

I give a slight edge to Override, but mainly because the Frozen Heart plug in rocked and double the value of the game for me. I don't think I ever tried the sequel though.
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#37 Snypah Nynjah

Snypah Nynjah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

EV Nova was too slick for me.  It just didn't have the mystery of the original or the diversity and strangeness of the second one.  Granted the tech was neat, but the missions always seemed overspecific about what you had to have done before, and always took the player away from having more options, instead of giving them more.  There was a very scripted feel to it
'xactly. Override was the way to go.