5 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

IMG has posted a review of Apple's newest mouse, the Mighty Mouse. Released in August, the sleek new mouse features up to four programmable buttons, as well as a scroll ball to allow for seamless verticle and horizontal scrolling. But how does it fare as a gaming mouse? Check out IMG's review by following the link below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:54 AM

It's no surprise that this is not the mouse for most multibutton GAMERS. But no so much because you have to lift your left finger (turns out many people--not all--do that anyway and so there's no issue). Rather, the problem is in not being able to click multiple buttons at once, as (some) games require.

And the rest is all opinion. Thankfully mice come in a LOT of variety of shapes and functions. The mouse this reviewer loves, someone else will hate. Nothing wrong with that.

Plenty of people love the Mighty Mouse. I like the shape a LOT, the scroll ball second, and the other button functions are fine but--since I play FPS games--I know I can do better. It's not a bad product just because it's not the same as other mice. Get what suits you.

If it's true that BT mice are unsuitable for gaming, then I might be getting a Mighty Mouse after all--once BT version is out. I demand BT for travel. But if that means I still need a gaming mouse at home anyway, then it's OK if I can't game with the Might Mouse.

What should apple do? Simple.

Unbundle the mouse (or allow it to be unbundled BTO, like PowerMac modems can be) from ALL Mac models. Let people pick which Apple mouse they want--or none at all. Then they have infinite choice of whatever shape and button functions they desire.

#3 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:37 PM

Why say "the rest is all opinion"? Sure it might be a good mouse for everyday use, but that's not the point of a gaming web site's review. If this were macworld and he panned it i could see a reason to post the virtues of the mouse, but his comments were spot on from the gaming end of the mouse cord.

#4 Galen

Galen

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:49 PM

Believe me when I say that I really wanted to like the Mighty Mouse. However, I had to really put aside my biases and my love for Apple products and review the mouse for what it truly was. Unfortunately, it ended up being inadequate for anything beyond casual office work (and even then, it had some problems).

So, while such features as a 360 degree scroll ball are impressive, the mouse itself is strictly mediocre in terms of both performance and features.

Here's hoping Apple does it right the next time.

#5 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:12 PM

A review based on opinion?!?! OMG!  Say it ain't so!
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:19 PM

In reply to one of the previous comments:  next time will be a very long time.  As far as I can remember, the Mighty [sic] Mouse is the sixth mouse Apple has made in the last 21 years.

The reason why it should have been obvious that this is a terrible mouse for gaming is simple:  the touch buttons.  Other problems aside, you simply can't click fast enough with a button that has no vertical travel.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com