118 replies to this topic

#41 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:06 AM

I think we just have to wait until we see more clearly where Apple is going with the Intel switch.  Maybe developers are holding back a bit for the same reason.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#42 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:32 AM

Quicksilver, on September 11th 2005, 09:06 AM, said:

I think we just have to wait until we see more clearly where Apple is going with the Intel switch.  Maybe developers are holding back a bit for the same reason.

View Post

Once the hurdle of Havok is overcome, it'd probably make more sense to strike while H2 is still hot and just compile a fat binary for it. If Havok's still a no-go, then the dual-boot option might still allow a little H2 Mactel action, albeit for fewer folks.

#43 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:39 AM

Huh. I was excited about H2 before. Batcat just made it worse.

Thanks a lot. In both senses of the phrase,

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#44 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:48 AM

No worries. Glad to help.

#3 is waiting. :)

#45 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

Halo was stolen so much because they didn't come out with a demo until like, what, last month!?  No wonder....
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#46 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

Yep, when a demo isn't promptly given you, you're entitled to pirate the full game instead.

That must account for the massive pilfering of Doom 3 and Red Faction 2 as well. :innocent:

#47 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:55 PM

Batcat, on September 12th 2005, 06:34 PM, said:

Yep, when a demo isn't promptly given you, you're entitled to pirate the full game instead.

View Post

I didn't say that.  

But, be it a legitimate reason or not, I am sure that is why many people pirated Halo for the Mac.
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:12 PM

What are the facts you are basing that assumption on?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

the Battle Cat, on September 12th 2005, 05:12 PM, said:

The fact that I'd want to try (formerly) high-requirements titles like Halo or Doom3 before buying them. Some might not think it lives up to the hype, either, and might regret buying it if they did.

#50 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:50 PM

the Battle Cat, on September 12th 2005, 07:12 PM, said:

View Post

Market research.

I work at a game studio, remember?   ;)
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#51 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:34 PM

The iMac Man, on September 9th 2005, 10:25 PM, said:

I am gonna jump all over that ability!

View Post

Will you also dry hump it into submission, smack it around, and ask who it's daddy is?

:crazy:
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#52 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:39 PM

Mac_d00d307, on September 10th 2005, 04:36 PM, said:

If we ever get it, it will be like 2010. I seriously doubt we will ever get it though. Though knowing the greed of MS... :lol:

View Post

When we do play Halo 3 on the mac, it will be like playing the 8 bit Nintendo games on our mac.
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#53 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:09 AM

The iMac Man, on September 12th 2005, 07:50 PM, said:

Market research.
I work at a game studio, remember?   ;)

View Post

My mistake, then. I wasn't aware Volition did market research on Halo, or that the QA dept. was invited to marketing meetings.

I thought you guys mainly played games and submitted bug reports... who knew? :teehee:

#54 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:16 AM

bobbob, on September 12th 2005, 04:42 PM, said:

The fact that I'd want to try (formerly) high-requirements titles like Halo or Doom3 before buying them. Some might not think it lives up to the hype, either, and might regret buying it if they did.

View Post

To bobbob: Anecdotal evidence is misleading at best, besides I asked that question of the iMac Man.  I wasn't challenging him to a duel, I was curious and wanted him to expand on it.

To all: I think the real problem is a growing entitlement mentality combined with the morally bankrupt notion that one should be able to have whatever one wants even if it means stealing it.  That mindset is killing Mac gaming.</opinion>
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#55 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

the Battle Cat, on September 13th 2005, 02:16 PM, said:

… I think the real problem is a growing entitlement mentality combined with the morally bankrupt notion that one should be able to have whatever one wants even if it means stealing it.  That mindset is killing Mac gaming.</opinion>

View Post

Yeah, true enough. However copyright theft is rampant on the PC platform too, and PC games are still getting released on a daily, perhaps hourly, basis.

What's killing Mac gaming - if anything is - is the incredible premiums mac users pay for decent video cards, and the current dominance of game engines like Havok which are unavailable on the Mac platform for either technical or financial reasons.

However I have to say I think it's been a lot worse then this in the past, and if anything Mac gaming is going though a comparative purple patch…as long as you like 2nd World War First Person Shooters!

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#56 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:42 AM

Batcat, on September 13th 2005, 07:09 AM, said:

My mistake, then. I wasn't aware Volition did market research on Halo, or that the QA dept. was invited to marketing meetings.

I thought you guys mainly played games and submitted bug reports... who knew? :teehee:

View Post

A game is a game, I don't care if it's Red Faction, or Halo... the research is all pertinent.

And, yes, QA is part of the development team, and has just as much access to research results as anyone else.

We don't mainly play games, so aparently you don't know.

Now, can people stop bashing my job until they become a little less ignorant as to what a QA department does!?  Thanks.
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#57 bung-foo

bung-foo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:36 AM

I bought Halo for mac after playing the mac demo. I play a lot of demos on the mac and I basically will not purchase a game until I can see how it runs. I took a pass on the battlefield 1942 port after being awed by it's crap-tastic performance. I'll probably buy Myst V because the demo ran well on my machine. Pretty much any game that is available for both platforms I buy for mac unless I find (through a demo) that the game will run a lot better on the pc.

The way I see it, there are a few big problems in mac gaming.
1. Apple doesn't care about us (gamers) enough to give us a high quality feature rich well supported and FAST OpenGL implementation and all of the other things that developers need/want. Think about directX, it offers a whole suit of tools that are ready made and work.
2. Mac users are so happy that they can play games at all that they happily accept awful ports that run like butt. (Bloodrayne, the sims2, BF1942, etc)
3. Developers aren't interested in the macs as a platform because of reason 1 and small audience. I suspect that if apple would provide an equivalent to directX that we might see a lot more games for our platform.

I'm almost at the end of halo right now. It isn't the best performer and some of the levels feel a bit "cut and paste" but the story is interesting. I might rent an xbox to play halo 2 when I'm done.

Abe

#58 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:40 PM

Askilfeasd, on September 13th 2005, 09:42 PM, said:

GAH! The next person that says that Bungie is working on Halo 3, I am going to go their house, and pull a Sam Fisher on them, they have said themselves, WE ARE NOT WORKING ON HALO 3!
Also, Halo 2 weapons are incredibly unbalanced, I have beaten Halo 2, and played multiplayer on it, and it is unbalanced, they took out the "real" pistol, and replaced it with a pansy pistol, which you have to shoot someone 13 times in the head to kill, I repeat, 13 TIMES! And then there is the terribly auto-aim, which with no skill is really required, and then the Battle Rifle-Plasma Pistol Combo, it is MUCH worse than the plasma pistol/pistol combo, because of the IMMENSE auto-aim.
I am going to wrap this up with, Halo 2 sucks.

View Post

Somebody put too much sugar in their Captain Crunch this morning.   ;)  The common consensus is that the pistol in Halo is far too powerful.  One reason why most people say that Halo 2's multiplayer is actually better is because the pistol has been toned down to something less than a semi-automatic sniper rifle.

Okay, and auto-aim:  you're on a console, and consoles have auto-aim.  Live with it.
InsideMacGames.com

#59 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

Askilfeasd, on September 14th 2005, 12:20 AM, said:

Erm, no, the pistol is NOT overpowered, just a good weapon for every situation.

View Post

Except for the rocket launcher and the fuel rod gun, nothing can take out a player faster than the pistol, and the pistol is much more accurate.
InsideMacGames.com

#60 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:31 AM

the Battle Cat, on September 12th 2005, 05:12 PM, said:

View Post

There was a lot of criticism from (the usual vocal section of) the pc gaming community when Halo PC came out that system requirements were high and many machines couldn't run it on the highest settings.  Given that Mac ports pretty much never run as well as PC ports, given that Apple was at the height of its G4 troubles at the time, and given that I already owned the xbox version, I didn't bother picking Halo up until I had my new G5/X800, and then it was only out of curiosity.

To be honest, if there had been a demo at the time Halo was originally released for the mac, I'd never have bothered with it.   It looked terrible on my powerbook.

Given that many of the people who post here have not-exactly-high-end system specs, it's fairly obvious that the mac market would be pretty conservative with their cash on this one... but hey, if you want to research the issue, why not put up a "why didn't you buy Halo" poll?