#21 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:28 PM

Quicksilver, on September 9th 2005, 03:34 PM, said:

2.  Next year, we'll all be able to boot into Windows (assuming you're on the leading edge of hardware), so Halo 2 will technically be coming to the Mac, so regardless of whether or not Halo 2 is actually ported to Mac OS X, we'll be all set.

While I'm at it, that means that Half Life, Far Cry, and Half Life 2 will *technically* be coming to the Mac.  Cha-ching!  :D

View Post

And defile a shiny new Mac? I'd rather not. I don't have enough time for all the Mac games I want to play, and putting Windows on a computer for the one or two games a year that I am interested in that don't make it to the Mac side doesn't seem worth it.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#22 Mac_d00d307

Mac_d00d307

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 369 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

Dark_Archon, on September 9th 2005, 03:28 PM, said:

And defile a shiny new Mac? I'd rather not. I don't have enough time for all the Mac games I want to play, and putting Windows on a computer for the one or two games a year that I am interested in that don't make it to the Mac side doesn't seem worth it.

View Post

You don't have to, but that's what a lot of game addicts are going to be doing. I don't care what's runnning the background while I'm playing a game. I'll only see the evil GUI of XP for a couple seconds. I
eMac 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9600, 150 GB HD Mac OS 10.4.7
iPod 5G 60 GB Black :D

Look if you dare...
Some serious ASCII Lovin'

#23 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:17 PM

Mac_d00d307, on September 9th 2005, 10:42 PM, said:

You don't have to, but that's what a lot of game addicts are going to be doing. I don't care what's runnning the background while I'm playing a game. I'll only see the evil GUI of XP for a couple seconds. I

View Post

Yeah, and I can't remember the name at the moment, but if that software "which isn't emulation" which Linux users use to run Windows programs makes it to Mac OS X like people were saying, then we might not have to see Windows XP at all.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#24 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:18 PM

and then a few months down the line a install screen as you run updates, followed by the Space invaders scrolling down your screen in an oh so cliched virusy way ;)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#25 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:46 AM

Quicksilver, on September 9th 2005, 02:34 PM, said:

Okay, we've officially entered the twilight zone.  Seriously man, did you mix up your sentences?  The weapons are more balanced, the gameplay is the same with a twist (dual wielding, which is supposed to be excellent), and we've all heard about the cliffhanger end of the plot.  It seems to me that people say "the ending sucks" because the rest of the story was great and they can't wait for Halo 3.

View Post

Pretty much. I can't say which game is better, as they're rather different games, each having aspects that are better than the other. Halo's gameplay is more open and unrushed; if you choose to, you can accomplish objectives in more varied ways; backtracking, taking your time, exploring more... H2 is more of a 'rail shooter,' albeit with detailed story background that builds on and extends the original's storyline a great deal. More limited ways to achieve goals, more goals with only one path ahead, less open-ended gameplay with many voices egging you on to 'hurry up;' vast environments you generally can't reach, only see, and then only if you slow and look around... weapons arguably much better balanced, more 'realistic;' and whatever Havok's business shortcomings, the physics engine improves muchly on Halo's already-entertaining model. No end of fun seeing Ghosts taking hits and going end-over-teakettle right over you while going 'splodey and disintegrating in the process, with sound effects to match. Much-massaged graphics engine with light blooms, much greater geometry (no more blocky heads or flat box canyons) etc. Destroyed Covy vehicles that outgas blue plasma after destruction, brew up and overturn. The best voice acting I've heard in a game. Cliffhanger ending... I can live with it.

the Battle Cat, on September 9th 2005, 02:50 PM, said:

O... M... G...!!  You have stumbled onto a universal truth!  An axiom for the ages!!  er... well at least for the ages of 11 to 30... OK and in my case 57.  But yeah, it ALL boils down to misanthropes like us with wild eyes blowing up imaginary robots!  Our needs come first!  REVOLT!!  Who's with me boys!?!??   :angry:
I AM!! :angry:  I want a proper PC/Mac port that opens the stopcocks on this engine and leverages the faster CPUs, generations-more-powerful & advanced videocards to put even more distance detail into the vast environments, runs high-res with more complex shaders, enables FSAA & AF... my hardware is years newer & more powerful than Xbox, dammit! And hopefully Bungie was smart enough to allow for upping the LOD and such in the engine, knowing ports would happen.

And now we have a slogan to go with our revolt!!  REMEMBER THE MARATHON!
[slight spoiler]

Lord Hood remembers when he awards the Colonial Cross to someone from the United Earth Space Corps...

...and is it really coincidence that the bridge of In Amber Clad has many arrow keys, even diagonal? What game is played by many with the arrow keys and using forward/sideways slant running? Does it start with 'M?'

We need to hit them and we need to hit them HARD.  First off we need to find someone with a job around here, someone who can afford to hire a lawyer.  We need to show Apple and Bungie that the "Guys Who Live in Their Parents Basement" have a voice and that WE WILL BE HEARD!!   :cool:

View Post

YEAH! :moreangry:  What he said!

:blink:

#26 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:49 AM

someone needs to flag this thread up to those bad boys at Cupertino. or at least cross-post it over to Crazy Apple Rumours.

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#27 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:10 AM

Since they are already working on halo 3, I bet this one reaches Xbox 360 before we get halo 2..
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#28 Mac_d00d307

Mac_d00d307

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:36 AM

Lord Brixton, on September 9th 2005, 06:20 AM, said:

Don't ask me why, but I've suddenly got excited about Halo 2: Have any of you seen a projected release date for the Mac port yet? I'm assuming for the purposes of this needy whining post that there is going to be a Mac port…

Alright, I'll tell you why, I just saw some action figures of these little fellas in my local geekware emporium and I kind of wanted to know what they got up to in the game.

Not that a mature adult like me would have bought one, just to have leaning on my iPod dock, no…

View Post

If we ever get it, it will be like 2010. I seriously doubt we will ever get it though. Though knowing the greed of MS... :lol:
eMac 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9600, 150 GB HD Mac OS 10.4.7
iPod 5G 60 GB Black :D

Look if you dare...
Some serious ASCII Lovin'

#29 igame3d

igame3d

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

Not only is Havok and Halo 2 not going to come to the Mac until Havok lowers the price, but also it has been reported that more copies of Mac Halo have been pirated than bought, making Mac Halo2 completely pointless from a profit/sales point of view.

Also, the image you posted in the beginning of this thread has nothing at all to do with Halo 2.
Those guys look like the standard Havok demo dudes, they might exist in some game, but it definately is not Halo 2.

The lack of cooperative play in Mac Halo also makes that product a major disappointment.

#30 easy4lif

easy4lif

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:28 PM

igame3d, on September 10th 2005, 12:01 PM, said:

Not only is Havok and Halo 2 not going to come to the Mac until Havok lowers the price, but also it has been reported that more copies of Mac Halo have been pirated than bought, making Mac Halo2 completely pointless from a profit/sales point of view.

Also, the image you posted in the beginning of this thread has nothing at all to do with Halo 2.
Those guys look like the standard Havok demo dudes, they might exist in some game, but it definately is not Halo 2.

The lack of cooperative play in Mac Halo also makes that product a major disappointment.

View Post

Never say never.  a couple of years ago the same could be said of the mac platfrom moving to intel and now look where we are.  I don't think it will come to mac, but I do think that sooner or later  you'll b able to dual boot either from a PC or MAC.  you'll be able to buy a mac, and boot either OS X or windows and from there, you can have the best of both worlds,  do all the important stuff on OS X and play the latest games off of windows.  if yoou get a virus, you just switch back to OSX and remove the bug

Evveryone needs to remember that we all live in a YELLOW SUBMARINE

#31 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:16 PM

igame3d, on September 10th 2005, 07:01 PM, said:

View Post

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Bungie created those marines, called OSDTs (Orbital Shock Drop Troopers).

Posted Image
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#32 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:23 PM

ODSTs- but yes, and they are prominent in Halo 2. There's even a chapter title with their nickname, "Helljumpers."

Another has the following description in the HBO H2 cutscene library:

They'll regret that, too.
(Master Chief, Sarge, and some ODSTs fly in to New Mombasa from In Amber Clad. 1:13 long.)

And didn't Al Schilling say in an IMG item that 'when the right game came along, Havok would not be a problem'?

#33 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:12 AM

igame3d, on September 10th 2005, 02:01 PM, said:

That's pretty much true of all games, unfortunately.  Halo has been pirated a lot, but also sold a lot from what I understand.  I'm sure they'd make a decent profit from Halo2, assuming the Havok price was minimal (not a very good assumption there...).

It's not in the PC version, either.

--Eric

#34 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:34 AM

igame3d, on September 10th 2005, 07:01 PM, said:

… but also it has been reported that more copies of Mac Halo have been pirated than bought, making Mac Halo2 completely pointless from a profit/sales point of view.…

View Post

I agree that piracy was probably a problem on Mac Halo - but equally it's a problem on every PC game [bar perhaps one, of which more in a sec], and indeed on every digitally-delivered creative endeavour. If pirates - hey, let's call them thieves - If thieves are preventing H2 coming to market then why are any games, movies, CDs released?

I don't have a PC that will run it, so I can't say I've tried it, but I had the impression that Valve had a pretty solid lock on Half Life 2, and that whereas determined thieves might be able to circumvent the protection, it was enough to deter the casual DVD-burner.

Could be wrong of course. One thing I do know though, I want me some Helljumper action and I don't much fancy buying a whole new CPU (either Wintel or McIntel) in order to get it.

I mean, jeez! Don't tell the wife, but the only reason I went from G4 to G5 was Doom3.

I mean, obviously there must have been apps I use for work that needed me to upgrade too…

Yeah, loads

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.

Posted Image

#35 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:25 AM

Lord Brixton, on September 11th 2005, 12:34 AM, said:

Valve had a pretty solid lock on Half Life 2, and that whereas determined thieves might be able to circumvent the protection, it was enough to deter the casual DVD-burner.

Disabling the offline Steam check can be done fairly easily, and often people do it even on legit copies because Steam can get in the way of an SP game. Online Steam has a better track record, since the official master list is preferable to user-created ones that might be hard to substitute.

Since Halo 2 will probably have a longer online lifetime on the XBox, and by many accounts online games aren't popular with computer gamers, an online key check probably won't deter many from infringing copyright to play it. Heck, a demo would pretty much sate anybody who wanted to check it out, anyways.

#36 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:13 AM

well yeah, I take your point - but assuming that broadband connections of one kind or another are becoming pretty much universal [and here I accept that 'universal' in this context means a great deal less then 'universal' might mean to most normal people] is there any reason why a computer couldn't call its IP, or better still MAC address, into Bungie [or whoever] every time the app is booted?

Yes, I know it's an inconvenience & all, but then so is having a lock on my front door and that's a price I've decided to pay in order to have a reasonable expectation of my stuff being here when I get home.

Anyway, it would certainly be less hassle than digging out the right DVD every time I want to play a game, and a great deal less hassle than applying to the manufacturers for a replacement disk because my desk is covered with an undifferentiated snowdrift of CDs, papers, and coffee shop loyalty cards.

Anyway, as I'm sure I've said, all I want to do is do a sub-orbital freefallin' high-altitude low-opening jump into a combat zone and then whup a few Covenant scum upside they carapaces with their own energy-whacker. If in order to do that I have to tell some Microsoft goons my IP address and, hell, what version of Office I'm running then that'll be OK.

Posted Image

#37 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:29 AM

Anti-piracy would have so much more effect if they stopped pulling BS with all their statements. If Halo had more copies stolen than bought (I'd like to know where they got that figure) it doesn't mean that there's no profit involved. I'd imagine Halo to be one of the better money makers, piracy or not.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#38 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:30 AM

Lord Brixton, on September 11th 2005, 03:13 AM, said:

is there any reason why a computer couldn't call its IP, or better still MAC address, into Bungie [or whoever] every time the app is booted?

Because it's been cracked? Because MAC addresses can be changed at a whim and can't be tracked over the internet, and IP addresses probably won't be supboenable for more information anyways? Because you're on the road, broadband is down, key server's overloaded, or Mac patches are out of sync?

Yes, I know it's an inconvenience & all, but then so is having a lock on my front door and that's a price I've decided to pay in order to have a reasonable expectation of my stuff being here when I get home.

Sure, but I'm not going to let you put a lock on my door so that I have to ask you for the key anytime I want to get out. As much as I'd want to play Halo 2 the way it's meant to be played (HD with FPS controls :P), I don't think I'd want to buy it if I couldn't play it because of something out of my control. the XBoxclusivity is probably permanent, anyways :(

Might as well get an XBox if you're really pining for it.

#39 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:33 AM

bobbob, on September 11th 2005, 10:30 AM, said:

Because it's been cracked? Because MAC addresses can be changed at a whim and can't be tracked over the internet,<snip>Might as well get an XBox if you're really pining for it.

View Post

I always thought that MAC addresses were hardware-based & therefore unchangeable. Ah well, you live & learn eh?

All I'm saying is; If software thieves are screwing things up for those of us that just want to pony up the cash & have some laughs then I don't mind registering my hardware address with a software supplier. I wouldn't imagine a server would max out if all it was doing was a 2-3 second transaction with each copy of the app as it launched.

And me? buy an XBox? Naah! Even if I could deal with going from a keyboard/mouse to that stupid little controller I'd never get away with it. I've got more chance of supplementing my already perfectly good iPod with a Nano. My wife is my conscience in these matters & contraindicates unwise purchases!

Anyway, as a sidebar, here's some H2 icons I found…

Posted Image

#40 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:23 AM

bobbob, on September 11th 2005, 03:25 AM, said:

....Heck, a demo would pretty much sate anybody who wanted to check it out, anyways.

bobbob, on September 11th 2005, 05:30 AM, said:

the XBoxclusivity is probably permanent, anyways :(

Might as well get an XBox if you're really pining for it.

View Post

No, no and 'only if you can't wait.'

Mediocre demos satiate one's appetite for a game. Demos of good games whet one's appetite for more; that's the point of a demo- sales. It's stronger with a story-driven game; a demo just gives you a taste of that aspect.

I fully expect Halo 2 to get to PC. Halo came out 11/01; H2 was announced 9/02. HaloPC was announced around that time, and the port took about a year, tho the actual porting work time was substantially shorter. With MS' just-announced push to reclaim more of the games market for PC, be not surprised if Halo2 PC is announced shortly, along with Halo 3 for X360. H2PC might ship somewhat after H3 so as not to divide the market.

(Familiarity with MS' XNA initiative also makes the likelihood of H2PC seem very strong).

A Mac port would then likely be in the porting/ publishing houses' court. Time for Al, Peter et al to loosen the purse-strings a bit for that 'right game;' and with H2 based on an enhanced engine but the same Xbox1 tech, only PC-based enhancements might slow porting work- and any enhancements beyond current Apple OpenGL might be left for later patching-in. So, no, all is not lost for H2 Mac.