118 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:20 AM

Don't ask me why, but I've suddenly got excited about Halo 2: Have any of you seen a projected release date for the Mac port yet? I'm assuming for the purposes of this needy whining post that there is going to be a Mac port…

Alright, I'll tell you why, I just saw some action figures of these little fellas in my local geekware emporium and I kind of wanted to know what they got up to in the game.

Not that a mature adult like me would have bought one, just to have leaning on my iPod dock, no…

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#2 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:26 AM

I don't think there will be a Halo 2 for the Mac.

There is a rumor that Steve Jobs demanded that the first Halo be ported to the Macintosh, since Bungie was going to make it for the Mac before the buyout.

So, I guess we are lucky to have Halo at all
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#3 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:26 AM

As far as I know, Halo 2 is remaining Xbox exclusive. I haven't heard anything about a PC port ever from MS or Bungie... but then again, I haven't looked.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#4 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:50 AM

Really? That's far too sensible a response. Can't we get some wild speculation running here? Come on people, gimme some sugar!

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.

Posted Image

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:21 AM

Lord Brixton, on September 9th 2005, 05:50 AM, said:

Really? That's far too sensible a response. Can't we get some wild speculation running here? Come on people, gimme some sugar!

View Post

Wild speculation?  izhaojianhua is trying to smuggle the code to Halo 2 into the forums disguised as a ROT-13 print out of the code.   Amusingly enough, it converts into something that resembles a WoW gold mining scam.  I think some safety-for-all, do-gooder moderator went around deleting them all!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

yeah, i kind of fancied some energy sword fun - although projectile weapons seem in the main to be more 'believable' in a FPS. It was the light-sabre [please note not 'saber'] that put me off all those Star Wars titles.

Was it Marathon: Ressurrection or : Rampancy that let you use the Pfhor hurty-stick ? that was pretty cool…

Posted Image

#7 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:24 AM

It's not ever coming to the Mac... it uses Havok.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#8 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:59 AM

Man! I am so tired of Havok being the full stop to most of these conversations. If Steve Jobs can't find a few thou of pocket change to buy the engine, I reckon IMG should launch an appeal for donations - for (say) a couple of hundred dollars donors get a free copy of every game licenced.

I mean, obviously it could never hapen but come on - it's Friday! Let me have a little dream!

Posted Image

#9 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:00 AM

Askilfeasd, on September 9th 2005, 10:40 AM, said:

That is what I said iMac man...

View Post

Yes, but you said it in amongst a bunch of ranting about Halo 2.  Trust me, I can't stand the game either, but that is not what matters here.  What matters is that it uses Havok, and that is all that needs to be said....
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#10 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

Lord Brixton, on September 9th 2005, 10:59 AM, said:

If Steve Jobs can't find a few thou of pocket change to buy the engine...

View Post

Hahaha!  BUY the engine, for a few thou!?  I think not...

They want ONE MILLION dollars just to LICENSE the engine!  If someone wanted to buy it, they'd probably want like a billion dollars for it...
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#11 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

The iMac Man, on September 9th 2005, 04:02 PM, said:

If someone wanted to buy it, they'd probably want like a billion dollars for it...

View Post

What's that? Maybe a week's worth of iPod Nano profits?

Big Steve needs to remember that no matter how many hit albums and great magazines are made with a Mac, what really matters is us jerky boys here playing pixellated paintball with a bunch of imaginary robots…

Posted Image

#12 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:29 AM

Askilfeasd, on September 9th 2005, 07:30 AM, said:

Trust me guys, you do NOT want to play Halo 2, the gameplay sucks compared to Halo 1, the weapons are unbalanced, BUT! The single-player is MUCH better than the first one, the plot is much better, and being able to use the sword is fun :) (though it is really unbalanced) Also, it is not coming to Mac because it uses Havok, I actually HOPE it is not coming to Mac.

View Post

How could you say the plot was better? IT DOESNT HAVE AN ENDING!
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#13 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:55 AM

the Battle Cat, on September 9th 2005, 08:21 AM, said:

Wild speculation?  izhaojianhua is trying to smuggle the code to Halo 2 into the forums disguised as a ROT-13 print out of the code.

Thats what I thought.
What is a man?

#14 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

The iMac Man @ September 9th 2005, on 04:02 PM, said:

If someone wanted to buy it, they'd probably want like a billion dollars for it...

Lord Brixton, on September 9th 2005, 11:24 AM, said:

What's that? Maybe a week's worth of iPod Nano profits?

View Post

Uh, no. (On both counts.)

#15 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

Endymion, on September 9th 2005, 12:36 PM, said:

Uh, no. (On both counts.)

View Post

By that I assume you mean it wouldn't cost a billion?  If so, do you know what they would charge?
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#16 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

The iMac Man, on September 9th 2005, 12:52 PM, said:

By that I assume you mean it wouldn't cost a billion?

Correct.

If so, do you know what they would charge?

View Post

Less than a billion.

And a week's worth of Nano sales will come to way less and not even close to subsidizing an acquisition like this either.

#17 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

Askilfeasd, on September 9th 2005, 02:30 PM, said:

Trust me guys, you do NOT want to play Halo 2, the gameplay sucks compared to Halo 1, the weapons are unbalanced, BUT! The single-player is MUCH better than the first one, the plot is much better, and being able to use the sword is fun :) (though it is really unbalanced)

View Post

Okay, we've officially entered the twilight zone.  Seriously man, did you mix up your sentences?  The weapons are more balanced, the gameplay is the same with a twist (dual wielding, which is supposed to be excellent), and we've all heard about the cliffhanger end of the plot.  It seems to me that people say "the ending sucks" because the rest of the story was great and they can't wait for Halo 3.

I can't believe that none of this has occured to you guys yet, but it seems pretty obvious to me.  Here it is:

1.  Halo 2 will eventually make it to the PC, because Microsoft has a cash-cow on their hands that they can't overlook.

2.  Next year, we'll all be able to boot into Windows (assuming you're on the leading edge of hardware), so Halo 2 will technically be coming to the Mac, so regardless of whether or not Halo 2 is actually ported to Mac OS X, we'll be all set.

While I'm at it, that means that Half Life, Far Cry, and Half Life 2 will *technically* be coming to the Mac.  Cha-ching!  :D
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

Lord Brixton, on September 9th 2005, 08:24 AM, said:

Big Steve needs to remember that no matter how many hit albums and great magazines are made with a Mac, what really matters is us jerky boys here playing pixellated paintball with a bunch of imaginary robots…

View Post

O... M... G...!!  You have stumbled onto a universal truth!  An axiom for the ages!!  er... well at least for the ages of 11 to 30... OK and in my case 57.  But yeah, it ALL boils down to misanthropes like us with wild eyes blowing up imaginary robots!  Our needs come first!  REVOLT!!  Who's with me boys!?!??   :angry:  

Askilfeasd, on September 9th 2005, 11:04 AM, said:

I liked Halo 2's ending, personally, I myself would LOVE it if Bungie NEVER made a Halo 3, and left all those d@|\/|n Halo 2 fans weeping, because they are all talking about Halo 3, no matter how much Bungie says they are not, I hate these Xbox gamers, they forgot what Marathon was all about... #@@&^%#$ Sorry, I needed to rant.

View Post

And now we have a slogan to go with our revolt!!  REMEMBER THE MARATHON!

We need to hit them and we need to hit them HARD.  First off we need to find someone with a job around here, someone who can afford to hire a lawyer.  We need to show Apple and Bungie that the "Guys Who Live in Their Parents Basement" have a voice and that WE WILL BE HEARD!!   :cool:
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 bung-foo

bung-foo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:03 PM

Quicksilver, on September 9th 2005, 12:34 PM, said:

I can't believe that none of this has occured to you guys yet, but it seems pretty obvious to me.  Here it is:

2.  Next year, we'll all be able to boot into Windows (assuming you're on the leading edge of hardware), so Halo 2 will technically be coming to the Mac, so regardless of whether or not Halo 2 is actually ported to Mac OS X, we'll be all set.

While I'm at it, that means that Half Life, Far Cry, and Half Life 2 will *technically* be coming to the Mac.  Cha-ching!  :D

View Post

That makes about as much sense as saying that all pc games are available for linux because you can dual boot an x86 pc in windows and linux. If that 's the way that the mac game market goes it'll be a major step backwards. Who in their right mind wants to buy a copy of windows to run on their mac so they can play games? I want mac games. Native mac games. My highest hope about the move to x86 is that there will be more NATIVE games and that the performance delta between mac and pc ports of the same game will be much smaller.

#20 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

bung-foo, on September 9th 2005, 05:03 PM, said:

Who in their right mind wants to buy a copy of windows to run on their mac so they can play games?

View Post

Me, and I'm sure a lot of others here too!

If we can indeed dual boot into Windows to play games, I am gonna jump all over that ability!
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others