#41 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:23 PM

How did Star Wars LEGOs cause Men of Valor to be cancelled?  IIRC, it was cancelled due to several technical reasons.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#42 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:45 PM

the Battle Cat, on September 18th 2005, 11:18 AM, said:

...So anyway this is the part where you assume the role of Roseanne Roseannadanna and say, "Oh... neeeeeeever mind!".

View Post

How many times do I have to remind you- Emily Litella, not Roseanne Roseannadanna! :angry:

::writes scrip for remedial course in Gilda Radner characters for BC::

#43 cactusjoe

cactusjoe

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:54 AM

The Mail Man, on September 18th 2005, 10:05 PM, said:

This could go on forever. Your not understanding what I am saying. YES you should read. YES its an FPS. But thats not the point I am trying to make here. My little girl can read all day long about history and never understand what really is going on. Video games can give her a little idea of what happened and peoples reaction to said situation. Was Men of Valor a good game? I found it very fun. It truly wasn't a cut and dry FPS. You didn't know who was shooting at you 90% of the time. No ammo. No health. It gave you a great feeling of helplessness. Its just a matter of taste when it comes to a game like that. I think most people didn't like it because they didn't understand what was going on half the time. Let me guess what happens in Star Wars? Oh wait EVERYBODY KNOWS! but now in LEGOS! Great! Heres yet another 50 bucks Mr. Lucas

View Post

Wait, you expect your child to 'learn' something about the realties of Vietnam from a FPS video game, rather than read or perhaps watch a documentary?

#44 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:16 AM

cactusjoe, on September 19th 2005, 06:54 AM, said:

Wait, you expect your child to 'learn' something about the realties of Vietnam from a FPS video game, rather than read or perhaps watch a documentary?

View Post

Man you are missing the point completely.
Look this is how angry I am with this Legos game! http://www.dogstudios.net/ben/
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#45 cactusjoe

cactusjoe

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:56 AM

The Mail Man, on September 19th 2005, 07:16 AM, said:

Man you are missing the point completely.
Look this is how angry I am with this Legos game! http://www.dogstudios.net/ben/

View Post

Hmm...no, I did not miss your point about the game at all - I get that part. I simply asked if you expect your child to learn something about Vietnam from Men of Valor, something you alluded to in two of your posts.

#46 The Mail Man

The Mail Man

Purdy Mouf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:08 AM

cactusjoe, on September 19th 2005, 07:56 AM, said:

Hmm...no, I did not miss your point about the game at all - I get that part. I simply asked if you expect your child to learn something about Vietnam from Men of Valor, something you alluded to in two of your posts.

View Post

Of course you can learn a little something from anything. Of course you learn better by doing rather than hearing. Benjamin Franklin even pointed that out. Granted its a game. Its not war. But that game happen to have Vets input on things and trys to show the valor of the men they served with. It shows racism among American troops and how when it hit the fan there was no black and white crap. It was Americans vs. the Viet Cong. You can not get that from a history book and very few documentaries will ever show that. The only way you learn something like that is by the people that were there and how they tell the story. Alas war is something men that experienced do not talk about.

A video game if accurate can give you a better idea of how the men themselves felt. You'll NEVER know but I bet 90% of people who play video games never knew of the 101st before Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. Or the battle of Kursk. Games can be a teaching tool.
The Mail Man Cometh!

Always remember the following:

1. Lock em, Cock em, and Rock em!

2. Everyone hates a Redneck until their car breaks down.

3. REDNECKS: AMERICAS PITBULLS!

#47 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:34 AM

The Mail Man, on September 18th 2005, 05:28 AM, said:

I can hear my little girl now....daddy daddy I want Legos! sure honey let me pop in the disk. Ok now honey let the computer do all the creating and just let your brain turn to mush!

View Post

You know the puzzles in LEGO StarWars exercise the brain a lot more than any FPS I've ever seen... well.... most at lest. Most FPSs are just about blowing everything in sight, so having to use the force to unlock secret paths and new areas and change characters to progress through the level is a lot more mind-craving than your average FPS... or as in the case of Men of Valor, your below-average FPS.

And as said before, cancellation of Men of Valor has nothing to do with LEGO Star Wars. I doubt they even had started porting LEGO StarWars when Men of Valor was canceled, since Men of Valor was canceled in february and LEGO StarWars shipped in April for PCs. And they seldom try to port code that isn't done.

The common theory is that GameSpy killed Men of Valor for Mac because of increased license fee... blame them and not the LEGO.

I love my LEGO.

And just for the sake of it: LEGO StarWars is one of the most entertaining and humorous games I've played in a long while.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#48 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:54 AM

The Mail Man, on September 18th 2005, 08:18 PM, said:

Listen Legos Star Wars maybe a great game but Its the principle of the thing.

You're right: in principle, I'd rather have a great platformer than a mediocre shooter.  Anyway, Traveller's Tales are cool developers and deserve some of my hard-earned money.  (Yeah, Lucas gets some too...oh well.)

--Eric

#49 converted2truth

converted2truth

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

Eric5h5, on September 19th 2005, 07:54 AM, said:

... a mediocre shooter.

View Post

If you are reffering to Men of Valor, you obviously haven't played the game much.  When Aspyr cancelled the port, i cried for a week.  Then had to go get a PC.  This game is awesome.

As for learning stuff from FPShooters, I've learned a great deal.  CoD:UO was awesome... these games place YOU in that environment.  Even though i've heard the stories, the game adds an element of realizm that's harder for me to forget.

Whether people will admit it or not, these war FPS teach people important stuff.

As for Lego Star Wars, my copy hasn't shown up yet.  it's cheap, and i look forward to a comical spell of gaming entertainment.  Sure it's predictable etc etc, but i'm a sucker for all Mac games in general.
Mac Pro/2.66/2GB RAM/X1900/1.5TB & 250GB X partition/250GB XP partition/Dell 24" LCD
MBP CD2.0/2GB ram/100GB HD (20GB XP partition)/ATI X1600m

#50 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:38 PM

converted2truth, on September 19th 2005, 05:32 PM, said:

Whether people will admit it or not, these war FPS teach people important stuff.

View Post

What kind of important things can I learn from Call of Duty? Nazis are bad? WW2 was horrific? Fake villages in France look neat in the evening?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#51 NeoWolf

NeoWolf

Heroic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:44 PM

Brad Oliver, on September 21st 2005, 03:38 PM, said:

What kind of important things can I learn from Call of Duty? Nazis are bad? WW2 was horrific? Fake villages in France look neat in the evening?

View Post

I've definitely voting on the later.  :D

FPS games aren't really that educational at all though. I mean it might help with your reflexes some, but even then not that well since your ability to respond with precision will primarily be limited to flicks of the wrist, not your whole body.

#52 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:48 PM

Brad Oliver, on September 21st 2005, 05:38 PM, said:

View Post

I hated history in school.

Everything I know about WWII I learned from MOHAA and CoD.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#53 cactusjoe

cactusjoe

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:26 PM

The iMac Man, on September 21st 2005, 06:48 PM, said:

I hated history in school.

Everything I know about WWII I learned from MOHAA and CoD.

View Post

Ouch!

#54 virtuous70

virtuous70

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

I'm playing Lego Star Wars on an upgraded G4 400MHz ---> 1GHz, 512MB RAM, Radeon Mac 9000 (128MB VRAM). I'm within the minimum specs on all accounts except for the processor, where it recommends 1.25GHz. According to Aspyr's Game Agent, it shouldn't run well. However, I took a chance, and it runs GREAT! I'm playing at 1024x768, with settings pretty much maxed, and it is VERY smooth. I'm quite impressed. Don't be scared off by the system requirements if you don't quite make it.

#55 steiner designer

steiner designer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:42 PM

my machine is RIGHT AT the minimum spec.

I have 10.3.9 (10.3.8 required)
1.25 G4 (1.2 required)
2GB RAM (512 required) - OK, I have a decent amount more RAM than required
Radeon 9000 (9000 required)

I've played the demo - and I found the framerate quite acceptable. The only signs of minor slowdowns were when there were 8 or more enemies on the screen at one time, and then there was only a slight slowdown.

I'm unclear how to display framerate in this game - is it possible in the demo? If so, please let me know and I'll post framerate data if anyone is interested.

Seems like a fun game - I'll probably pick it up.

Thanks for the DEMO Brad and Glenda - good work!
PRIMARY MAC :: 2.5 GHz Quad G5 :: 4 GB RAM :: NVidia 7800 GT

SECONDARY MAC :: 1.25 GHz Dual G4 :: 2 GB RAM :: ATI Radeon 9000

CURRENTLY PLAYING :: Lego Star Wars :: Myst V EOA

CURRENTLY RE-PLAYING :: KOTOR

NEXT PURCHASE :: An Intel Mac?