Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

View Postbismilah, on December 22nd 2005, 03:23 PM, said:

Hearts of Iron 1 & 2 are missing

[Edit - Nuh unh! - tBC]

That's because they don't work against the Windows version. None of the Paradox games (EU2, Victoria, etc) do. They should be removed from this list.
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#22 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

Massive Assault should be on the list.

ANyone know if we are ever going to get DOMINATION?

#23 goatwarrior

goatwarrior

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:18 AM

You can add Dominion 2 to the list.  I've been playing that against a PC weenie and a Mac-head for a few months.

Anyone know if Civ4 and HOMM5 will be Mac vs. PC compatible?

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:05 AM

View PostNeverFade, on March 20th 2006, 02:09 PM, said:

Massive Assault should be on the list.

View Postgoatwarrior, on May 6th 2006, 03:18 AM, said:

You can add Dominion 2 to the list.  
Added and added!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 razkazz

razkazz

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

Since AvP2 is PC compatible does that mean the PC mods & maps will work on my Mac version of the game?? :huh:

#26 frankie

frankie

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

It would be really nice if this thread, or another similar one, contained a list of all recent and upcoming multiplayer games and their Mac-Win networking status (whether yes or no).
-F.

#27 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

View Postfrankie, on June 1st 2006, 11:17 AM, said:

It would be really nice if this thread, or another similar one, contained a list of all recent and upcoming multiplayer games and their Mac-Win networking status (whether yes or no).

This thread isn't the spot for that (since it's just about Mac<->Windows compatibility), but feel free to start such a thread elsewhere.  On the other hand, such a thread would be a beast to create and manage, so good luck.

Since AvP2 is PC compatible does that mean the PC mods & maps will work on my Mac version of the game??

This thread is about whether or not Mac and PC versions of a game can network together; maps and mods are an entirely different issue.  As far as I know, running a PC mod is feasible in concept for AvP 2, but since mods are entirely unsupported by MacPlay I'm not sure if anyone has had any luck actually doing it.  I have no idea about maps, but in general maps will work no matter the OS as long as the game is ported straight across and the porting company hasn't messed with how it handles maps and so forth.  I've never tried to install a map or mod, though, so that's the best I can give you.  I suggest you ask in the shooters forum; you're much more likely to get a useful reply there, and this is actually off-topic for this thread anyway. :)
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#28 BMill

BMill

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

This is going to sound lame, but is Worms 3D mac/win compatable?

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

The guy who created this thread was a big Worms fan.  If they were compatible, for sure you'd see it in the list.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on June 3rd 2006, 03:58 PM, said:

The guy who created this thread was a big Worms fan.  If they were compatible, for sure you'd see it in the list.

Wow, I thought I was so sneaky about my Worms love... it's not like I eeeeeeeeeeever drew a huge Worms recruiting spree here with Worms avatars and everything... I would never do something like that...

...but yes, it is true. Worms 3D is limited to Mac-Mac networking over GameRanger.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

You can't sneak stuff past this little gray cat.  I have a mind like a steel trap!  (... in that it's baited with cousin Festus' stink lure and smeared with the smashed remains of the dead and dying)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, and Quake 4 should be on the list.  :)

#33 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

Updated, thanks!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#34 BMill

BMill

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:12 AM

I havent played any games in a while, but I've recently moved and I'd love to be able to play a game with my friends and family back home.

What games would you reccomend from the pc/mac compatable list that have low system requirements and are really fun to play.  For example: With all of the first person shooters, which would you reccomend for multiplayer?  Halo? etc.

#35 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:26 AM

View PostBMill, on June 16th 2006, 10:12 AM, said:

I havent played any games in a while, but I've recently moved and I'd love to be able to play a game with my friends and family back home.

What games would you reccomend from the pc/mac compatable list that have low system requirements and are really fun to play.  For example: With all of the first person shooters, which would you reccomend for multiplayer?  Halo? etc.

This should probably be its own thread if you really want answers (doesn't have much to do with this thread, which is intended just to list the games).  Perhaps BattleCat would be so kind as to separate it out?  :)

That said, how low is low?  Low system requirements as compared to computers today (so 1.0 GHz range), or even lower than that?

Secondly, are you wanting to play online or LAN or what?  Older games aren't going to have quite as good a player base online, whereas if its LAN they might be an excellent idea since they'll support a wide range of hardware.

Despite not knowing these things here's my recommendations:

Halo is indeed a very good multiplayer game, and works really well for small to medium LAN parties (say 6-10).  The gameplay is exremely solid, and although it doesn't offer much beyond the standard game types, it executes the standards extremely well.  Custom gametypes extend it a bit, too.  Personally I'm a fan of Warthogs and rockets, or pistols only.

If you want something a little bit more diverse in the same general requirements range, Unreal Tournament 2004 is probably where it's at.  It has a slew of gametypes, and can support small to large LAN parties (say 6-20+).  Add to that a fair number of excellent mods, and you've got a lot of options.  Different people play different things online, but personally I think of UT2004 as the backbone of multiplayer shooters; you may play other things for a time, but it's the one you come back to because everyone else has it, too.  Sort of like Quake III back in the day.

If you mean even lower requirements than that, then Quake III.  It doesn't have anywhere near the number of gameplay types of UT2004, but it's still a solid multiplayer game, will run on most anything these days, and just about everyone has it.  There's a number of good multiplayer games based on the Q3 engine, too, that you can't really go wrong with.  Of them, I'd recommend Jedi Knight 2 (lightsaber combat is way too much fun) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Enemy Territory.  RtCW kind of calls out for larger crowds, but the combat is fairly intense.

Good luck finding the perfect game!  Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in with more info, particularly about what playing these games online is like; I haven't checked out UT2004's online scene, for instance, and it's been a long time since I last signed on to a JK2, RtCW, or Q3 server.  I have no idea how much Halo is still played, either.
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#36 Aegelward

Aegelward

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

me and a friend were discussing age of empires 2 recently, they claimed they knew someone who ran a cross platform LAN on it with a PC and a mac, can anyone confirm this?

it was with LAN/direct ip connect... apparantly.

#37 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8103 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:00 AM

View PostAegelward, on June 20th 2006, 09:54 PM, said:

me and a friend were discussing age of empires 2 recently, they claimed they knew someone who ran a cross platform LAN on it with a PC and a mac, can anyone confirm this?

it was with LAN/direct ip connect... apparantly.
No, can't be true. AoE 1&2 use DirectPlay on Windows, even for LAN games, which is not available on the Mac. Hence: no AoE Win-Mac multiplayer at all.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#38 ArcerHawk

ArcerHawk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:50 AM

Do you know if civ IV is mac-pc compatible ?

Arcer

#39 yllamana

yllamana

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

DropTeam cross-networks, and it has a demo that does also.

#40 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:11 PM

View Postyllamana, on July 22nd 2006, 09:00 AM, said:

DropTeam cross-networks, and it has a demo that does also.
Thanks!  Updated.  :)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat