4 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:09 AM

With China's recent announcement of limiting online playing time, BBC has posted an article concerning the lives of several hard core gamers from around the world. As the title depicts, these people spend most of their day gaming and eating by their computer. Each one of the gamers interviewed gave a reason for gaming extensively, such as interaction with other players to a stress reliever. Below is a selected excerpt from the article.

Gaming helps me escape from whatever happens to be bothering me. It's a great stress reliever, a safe outlet to pursue some of my more aggressive tendencies. One of the names I use online is "Shiva" - the powerful Indian god of destruction.

But it's also really sociable.

I live in a small town and gaming is a way to interact with and meet people from all over the world. I have met players from Sweden, Australia and Korea. I've now heard a lot of opinions I would not normally have had access to. I know how people from around the world view the US.

Perhaps this is what is behind China's new rules. The average Chinese citizen might have less access to other viewpoints and cultures than I do. Perhaps the freedom of an online gaming environment is a challenge...
Please follow the links below to read the full article.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:37 AM

Well - this kid in china should stop before it kills him

Ever since I started playing, my physical condition has deteriorated. I get a lot of colds as I don't really exercise.

I like what this Naveed Khan guy from London has to say

But you can't deny the buzz. In a game like World of Warcraft you spend a lot of time acquiring certain items that give you points and kudos. Those who do well achieve a celebrity-like status in the game with other players who are online too. It's a real power trip.

And it's difficult to let go. It's potentially never-ending. There's always another quest and the makers are always updating the game adding new levels.

I think the Chinese government rules are very good. Some people need to be compelled to stop. It's like alcoholism.

Honor but above all, Loyalty.

#3 deckels

deckels

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:21 PM

Shade, on September 1st 2005, 09:37 AM, said:

I like what this Naveed Khan guy from London has to say

View Post

yeah, some people need to be compelled to do less online gaming, but I would never say that it's the government that should be doing the compelling.  Friends, family, and colleagues are usually a better route.  

Just because there are some gaming addicts out there, doesn't mean everyone else's online time should be limited.  Plus, how the heck do you regulate someone's online gaming time?

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17568 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:59 PM

A Chinese Type 95 assault rifle butt to the forehead usually does the trick.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 WhiteSavage

WhiteSavage

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:44 PM

Yum!

I think regulating everyone to 3 hours a day will make things easier on the rest of us. I mean, have you ever played someone from China? They're GOOD.