#41 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

the Battle Cat, on August 30th 2005, 12:50 PM, said:

How does one go about disabling a processor?

View Post

Ball peen hammer, works every time.

#42 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

the Battle Cat, on August 31st 2005, 01:17 AM, said:

Got it.  Thank you!

View Post

Let me know how it goes.  There is definitely a conflict if you have a Microsoft Intellimouse, so don't forget what I said about mice.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#43 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:37 PM

What does the mouse have to do with it? I've got a Logitech Wireless Mouse that I used, the only thing that I noticed happening in X2 was that the mouse didnt work.  I left it plugged in, does this make it crash more often?  I never really noticed it crashing much actually, every once in awhile, but nothing too bad.
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#44 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:54 PM

LordViking, I'm really not sure.  I know that the normal Apple mouse works fine, so maybe it's some bizarre conflict with Mac OS X's built-in mouse software or Microsoft's control panel.  I don't collect mice, so I don't know how Logitech users are faring.
InsideMacGames.com

#45 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:46 AM

Quicksilver, on August 30th 2005, 10:54 PM, said:

I don't collect mice,

View Post

I do! I got a brown one and a white one! :lol:

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#46 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:52 AM

Quicksilver, on August 30th 2005, 10:54 PM, said:

LordViking, I'm really not sure.  I know that the normal Apple mouse works fine, so maybe it's some bizarre conflict with Mac OS X's built-in mouse software or Microsoft's control panel.  I don't collect mice, so I don't know how Logitech users are faring.

View Post

I've been using USB Overdrive, so that might've something to do with it...
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#47 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:14 AM

LordViking, on August 31st 2005, 01:52 AM, said:

I've been using USB Overdrive, so that might've something to do with it...

View Post

I have as well. The MS drivers are based on USBO, so there may be a connection there. I also found I can only use my mouse (Logitech MX 1000) if I ALSO leave my plain vanilla apple mouse plugged in.

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17432 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

Quicksilver, on August 30th 2005, 08:36 PM, said:

Let me know how it goes.  There is definitely a conflict if you have a Microsoft Intellimouse, so don't forget what I said about mice.

View Post

I don't plan on installing it until I need it.  I'll try to remember.  I have a MacAlly Icemouse running on OSX mouse software.  There shouldn't be a problem.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

Quicksilver, on August 30th 2005, 06:09 AM, said:

Yep, that's definitely true.  Benj, any chance you'll be updating soon?  If not, I think you're about due for a clean install of Mac OS X.

To test that, you'll need to create a new, secondary account and log-in to it in order to play X2.  If X2 is much more stable, it means that you have something installed that's conflicting with X2.  While you might be able to clean out your system manually, it's much easier to have the installer clean out Mac OS X for you while you grab a snack. ;)

View Post

I've been thinking about upgrading to panther in the near future. I really do not want to do a clean install because I have a buttload of music (about 20 gigs). and quite frankly i really don't want to go through all the trouble of installing and saving everything just to play X2, and not even being sure if it would be playable if i did this. all my other games are perfectly fine, why would X2 have so many conflicts? so i guess I'll try X2 again once I get panther, although it seems kinda silly to pay $100+ to hypothetically finally be able play a game, but I guess upgrading would be worth it in the long run. I've pretty much just chalked me buying this game up to a loss.
Dual 1.8 G5 768 MB RAM Radeon 9800  OS:10.4
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#50 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:49 PM

Tomatocow, on August 29th 2005, 08:41 PM, said:

benj did  you buy the downloadable version or the CD?

View Post

i downloaded it from VP's site, then burned it to a cd-r.
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#51 Muddy

Muddy

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:34 PM

Zeke Kaz, on August 18th 2005, 09:03 PM, said:

I have had issues with saved games in other programs llike Total Annihilation

View Post

TA will only refuse to load games if you change the game data files after saving the game and trying to load the save game file. Before TA would crash on me on the loading screen (I used to change the unit limit etc) but changing it to the same state corrects this. Unless you don't do any of the above the only reason can be a damaged HD, but a fresh reinstall of TA is recommended every few months or so, just seems to work better.

Back on topic: I've tried X2 and I could not handle the poor performance of the game, that and the interface is so mind boggling at first that you can get quite overwhelmed. I prefer the old retro Lancer, which was great fun when it was released with a fantastic sense of scale.

#52 alxvy

alxvy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

dojoboy, on August 22nd 2005, 12:15 AM, said:

I play all the Paradox titles ported by VP, and they've been pretty good.  Only w/ EU2 and HOI did I ever experience random crashes.  Victoria, for me, has been extremely stable.

Being such a fan-boy of VP for these strategy games, and for what VP has opened up for us on the mac, I cringe each time I see a VP thread w/ the complaints over specific titles.  On the bright side, VP does work diligently to optimize, and bring patch-parity, to their games.

View Post

I agree VP do patch (and quickly) but I swear Victoria both crashed everytime a new music file was loaded while a lot was going on and definitely corrupted saved games, this is mentioned there on VP's site somewhere, or at least was. The patch(es) corrected these and I had developed a trick of pausing the game when new music was loaded, but I think VP doesn't seem to test these games very well before release. I'm waiting for good feedback on a patched X2 before buying it and will do for all VP future releases.

#53 yllamana

yllamana

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

Quicksilver, on August 31st 2005, 02:26 AM, said:

I'm not sure what happened to your copy of X2, yllamana, because I'm rarely seeing crashes on my system.  Try this:

1.  Go to user (your username) > Library > Application Support, and drag the "X2Threat" folder onto the desktop so that you can keep all of your in-game progress.  Find and toss this file:  "com.drakkenwulf.X2threat.plist".  Throw away the X2 app.

2.  Reinstall X2, open it up, enter your serial number, and make it to the main intro screen.  Quit the program.

3.  Drop your old X2Threat folder back into the Application Support folder (replace the new one that the reinstall created).

If you have a dual processor Mac, disable one processor, and if you have a 3rd-party mouse, unplug it while X2 is running.  Then try your absolute hardest to crash X2 and let me know how it goes!  Don't worry about tossing the OpenAL library until you give X2 another shot.

View Post

OK, I'll go over what I did:

Moved X2threat folder to desktop.

Deleted the plist.

Deleted X2.

Reinstalled X2.

Patched the X2 with the patch (you didn't mention this but I thought it'd be a good idea).

Disabled the second processor.

Disconnected my trusty Microsoft Cheapo Laser Mouse (it's not an Intellimouse but you said third party) and plugged in the magic no-button Apple mouse that came with the computer. I also unplugged the other USB controller I had plugged in, just in case.

Ran X2 on its default settings, Esc'd through the movies, then quit.

Replaced the X2threat folder with my previous one.

Ran X2 without changing settings. Loaded up my trusty save game at Cahoona Bakery alpha at Home of Light, where I'd just finished some mission to bring them a lot of wheat. Launched off, set course for Argon Prime (home of upgrades) and turned on the time accelerator. A short while after that, the game crashes, as it did before reinstall.

Based on past experience, it doesn't matter if I set the autopilot or what, it crashes shortly. It is still doing what it was doing before the reinstall though.

Just for curiousity's sake I tried just sitting in the station and waiting. The game crashed then after a little while, too (think 10 seconds or so).

Thanks for the attempt, though! :)

Edit: I also tried (just then) restarting the computer - in case the evil third party devices had somehow warped its mind, or something - then trying again. I just sat in the station screen for a little while. Boom. So no luck there either.

#54 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:00 PM

yllamana, on September 1st 2005, 05:42 PM, said:

OK, I'll go over what I did:

Moved X2threat folder to desktop.

Deleted the plist.

Deleted X2.

Reinstalled X2.

Patched the X2 with the patch (you didn't mention this but I thought it'd be a good idea).

Disabled the second processor.

Disconnected my trusty Microsoft Cheapo Laser Mouse (it's not an Intellimouse but you said third party) and plugged in the magic no-button Apple mouse that came with the computer. I also unplugged the other USB controller I had plugged in, just in case.

Ran X2 on its default settings, Esc'd through the movies, then quit.

Replaced the X2threat folder with my previous one.

Ran X2 without changing settings. Loaded up my trusty save game at Cahoona Bakery alpha at Home of Light, where I'd just finished some mission to bring them a lot of wheat. Launched off, set course for Argon Prime (home of upgrades) and turned on the time accelerator. A short while after that, the game crashes, as it did before reinstall.

Based on past experience, it doesn't matter if I set the autopilot or what, it crashes shortly. It is still doing what it was doing before the reinstall though.

Just for curiousity's sake I tried just sitting in the station and waiting. The game crashed then after a little while, too (think 10 seconds or so).

Thanks for the attempt, though! :)

View Post

yllamana I applaude you're effort, but save yourself the headaches of trying to get the game to work and just wait for VP to make another patch (if they do that is). I've tried everything short of reinstalling my whole system, which I'm not going to do so I can potentially play one game. The fact that I consider myself an avid mac gamer and I have never had as many problems playing other games as I have with X2 leads me too believe it's X2s fault for not working and not my computer. So at the the risk of this game driving me nuts I have shelved it for now, it will emerge again after a new non-crappy patch emerges on VPs website.

#55 yllamana

yllamana

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:25 PM

benj, on September 2nd 2005, 10:00 AM, said:

yllamana I applaude you're effort, but save yourself the headaches of trying to get the game to work and just wait for VP to make another patch (if they do that is). I've tried everything short of reinstalling my whole system, which I'm not going to do so I can potentially play one game. The fact that I consider myself an avid mac gamer and I have never had as many problems playing other games as I have with X2 leads me too believe it's X2s fault for not working and not my computer. So at the the risk of this game driving me nuts I have shelved it for now, it will emerge again after a new non-crappy patch emerges on VPs website.

View Post

I can't say I'm impressed with all the crashing, but it is a very fun game from what I've been able to play (and there was one day where it didn't crash for hours). If someone replies giving suggestions like that, I will quite certainly try it out - it only took a short while. :) Hopefully when it's fixed, my save game will run again without crashing.

#56 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

It doesn't crash often for me as long as I don't set my ship to attack all enemies to counter the rank loss from leaving the game at 10x time compression and allowing my factories to make money.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#57 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:28 PM

Thanks guys (especially yllamana).  I've reproduced this problem now, and hopefully the fact that we're all having this problem means that there's enough information out there to help fix this bug.  Doesn't it seem like you have to make considerable progress in X2 for this bug to crop up?
InsideMacGames.com

#58 Cunctator

Cunctator

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:42 AM

benj, on September 2nd 2005, 02:00 AM, said:

View Post

As the game programmer drakkenwulf said (on page 2 or so in the other X2 thread) after the release of the first patch, they are working on the crashing issues. Don't know whether they still are on track. I'd like to hear a statement from Drakkenwulf or VP RSN about this thing, or I am going to demand a refund. Seriously. Because my game crashes every 5 min, after I accepted the first mission.

And they have ruined their reputation. I invested several 100$ into Mac games so far, and this was my first VP game. X2 is nowhere near the quality of i.e. HW2, both in terms of program issues and game performance on the same hardware. I am not going to give money to VP in the next future, I pipe some to the Red Cross instead.

I have completely reinstalled my system (for other reasons), and I will of course test X2... I'll report back...

Adun Torivas,
Quintus

#59 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:12 AM

Cunctator, on September 2nd 2005, 01:42 AM, said:

Because my game crashes every 5 min, after I accepted the first mission.

I noticed a lot of crashes seemed to be tied to the missions. I've been avoiding them and have had far fewer crashes.

Even with the crashes, I have no plans to ask for a refund myself. VP has ported some unique games, and even with some rocky moments I would like to encourage them to continue to do so. Despite that, I would like to hear some news about what's going on. I can't tell if my crash reports where received or not.

#60 vpltd

vpltd

Virtual Programming

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:36 AM

I would like to update the users here with the current situation concerning X2.

We (Virtual Programming) have been working closely with Apple on a number of stability issues that are mainly to do with OpenAL. Whilst we accept that there have been other bugs to fix, this has been a large part of the work.

The work between Dennis Piatkowski (X2 programmer) and Apple has resulted in a great deal of progress, but the next patch is reliant upon the release by Apple of this new code.
We are anxious to see this as soon as possible, but obviously Apple will only release when they are happy.

Regarding this sudden batch of save game reports, this is something that appears to have suddenly arisen. I am not able to make any real comment at this time, but we will be looking at this.

During the beta program, these issues were not apparent, and there are several testers suddenly seeing these issues that never did before. Whether it is OS updates breaking something it is hard to say, but it does seem strange that this is a sudden issues to arise.

Please be assured that we are striving to release a new patch as soon as we possibly can, and will keep you informed.

It may be that we would request 2-3 people from this list to join the beta test team, and if you are interested I would like to hear from you.

Many thanks for your understanding,

Paul Lesurf
Virtual Programming Ltd