DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:15 PM

alxvy, on August 17th 2005, 07:44 PM, said:

I've had basically the same problem with Victoria and currently Gangland (both Virtual Programming). They seem to release every single program with major stability problems (Victoria used to corrupt save game files spontaneously as well).

View Post

I play all the Paradox titles ported by VP, and they've been pretty good.  Only w/ EU2 and HOI did I ever experience random crashes.  Victoria, for me, has been extremely stable.

Being such a fan-boy of VP for these strategy games, and for what VP has opened up for us on the mac, I cringe each time I see a VP thread w/ the complaints over specific titles.  On the bright side, VP does work diligently to optimize, and bring patch-parity, to their games.

Best of luck benj, et al.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#22 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

X2 is now worse the than ever, I'm trying to destroy the mines around the broken gate in Brennans Triumph, it quiting like every minute or so. I can't even jump to another system, it quits before I even get to the gate. I guess I'm having extremely bad luck with this game. I hope VP comes out with a new patch quickly!
Dual 1.8 G5 768 MB RAM Radeon 9800  OS:10.4
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#23 Cunctator

Cunctator

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:42 AM

I too have crashes that make the game unplayable. The released patch did not improve my situation and I am, I'm afraid, rather displeased with VP.

There are two types of crahes, a random one, occuring ehm... randomly and a different crash every time I approach a jump gate... I'm locked in one system, too, but it's not terribly bad, since the random crash doesn't allow me to play longer than 5-10min... [/sarcasm]

I either want a working game or my money back!

#24 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, game stability really is crap. I've found that disabling my 2nd processor helps sometimes, but I still get random crashes  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

#25 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:27 PM

It seems like many people are having these crashes. I'm hope VP is working on a new patch to put all these problems to bed. I've already sent an email to support@vpltd.com with my system profile, crash log for x2, and preference file for x2, which I hope helps them come out with another patch quickly. If all others having these problems would like to actually be able to play the game they bought email these files to VP, if you havn't already. It bites 'cause X2 is a cool game, I just wish I could play it more than 3 or 4 minutes without a crash.
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#26 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:27 PM

schwa, on August 25th 2005, 07:28 AM, said:

Yeah, game stability really is crap. I've found that disabling my 2nd processor helps sometimes, but I still get random crashes  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

View Post

I keep fighting myself over this game. I want to buy it, but I remind myself that a game that may require me to disable my 2nd CPU and modify/replace OpenAL libraries and draw circles around my computer desk with chicken blood in order to get it to run, probably isn't worth my money right now.

Man, this kills me, because I so wanted to get this game.

#27 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

Rev-O, on August 25th 2005, 09:27 PM, said:

I keep fighting myself over this game. I want to buy it, but I remind myself that a game that may require me to disable my 2nd CPU and modify/replace OpenAL libraries and draw circles around my computer desk with chicken blood in order to get it to run, probably isn't worth my money right now.

Man, this kills me, because I so wanted to get this game.

View Post

I can relate.  It pains me to see this game for sale at my local Apple Store...I so want to buy it if only because it's so different from all the other games in my library.  But I'll do the wait-and-see until some of these issues are resolved.  Hopefully...

#28 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

has anyone tried to get a refund from VP? I mean they do have a refund poilcy but I dont think it covers the fact that X2 is probly the buggiest game I've ever played (for 2 minutes before it crashes that is).  Should it take them this long to make another patch? are they even working on another patch?

#29 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:50 PM

Benj, what Mac OS X version are you running?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#30 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:48 PM

This thread has only 28 replies, 29 now including this one.  Those replying are mixed between people having problems w/ X2 and those who do not own it.  I believe there may even be some who have X2 running well.  Which didn't really mean anything to me until I noticed X2: The Threat is number three on the MacGameStore bestseller list.

:huh:

Posted Image
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#31 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:03 PM

Quicksilver, on August 29th 2005, 03:50 PM, said:

Benj, what Mac OS X version are you running?

View Post

#32 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:41 PM

benj did  you buy the downloadable version or the CD?

#33 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:55 PM

Upgrading to 10.4 might help...I've had much less stability problems than what you say with 10.4.2 and the patch.

Mandrake628

#34 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:09 AM

Mandrake628, on August 30th 2005, 03:55 AM, said:

Upgrading to 10.4 might help...I've had much less stability problems than what you say with 10.4.2 and the patch.

Mandrake628

View Post

Yep, that's definitely true.  Benj, any chance you'll be updating soon?  If not, I think you're about due for a clean install of Mac OS X.

To test that, you'll need to create a new, secondary account and log-in to it in order to play X2.  If X2 is much more stable, it means that you have something installed that's conflicting with X2.  While you might be able to clean out your system manually, it's much easier to have the installer clean out Mac OS X for you while you grab a snack. ;)
InsideMacGames.com

#35 yllamana

yllamana

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:32 AM

I'm afraid I've also reached a point in my game where it crashes within about 30 seconds of me loading the save regardless of what I do. That's under 10.4.2, patched and with the old OpenAL library removed.

I hope VP will actually fix these issues, and promptly. I've sent an email to them with system profile, crash log etc.

The game is really fun but I couldn't recommend it right now simply because of the instability. If they do fix the problems then it could turn out really good, but getting into a point where one can't play on because the game will crash very shortly after loading is very bad. It sounds like I'm not the only one it's happened to either.

#36 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:26 AM

I'm not sure what happened to your copy of X2, yllamana, because I'm rarely seeing crashes on my system.  Try this:

1.  Go to user (your username) > Library > Application Support, and drag the "X2Threat" folder onto the desktop so that you can keep all of your in-game progress.  Find and toss this file:  "com.drakkenwulf.X2threat.plist".  Throw away the X2 app.

2.  Reinstall X2, open it up, enter your serial number, and make it to the main intro screen.  Quit the program.

3.  Drop your old X2Threat folder back into the Application Support folder (replace the new one that the reinstall created).

If you have a dual processor Mac, disable one processor, and if you have a 3rd-party mouse, unplug it while X2 is running.  Then try your absolute hardest to crash X2 and let me know how it goes!  Don't worry about tossing the OpenAL library until you give X2 another shot.
InsideMacGames.com

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:50 PM

Quicksilver, on August 30th 2005, 09:26 AM, said:

If you have a dual processor Mac, disable one processor,

View Post

How does one go about disabling a processor?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:42 PM

the Battle Cat, on August 30th 2005, 02:50 PM, said:

How does one go about disabling a processor?

Easiest way is downloading and installing the CHUD tools from Apple, which will give you a Processor preferences pane.  Then you can just click on the appropriate box.

--Eric

#39 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:43 PM

Or you can simply pop in your Mac OS X install CD and you'll find the installer in the developer package (you have to customize the install to see it).
InsideMacGames.com

#40 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:17 PM

Got it.  Thank you!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat