• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

the Battle Cat, on November 1st 2005, 06:05 PM, said:

All your time are belong to Stubbs.

View Post

Looks like zombie grammer has taken over! Run! :D
Dual 1.8 G5 768 MB RAM Radeon 9800  OS:10.4
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#122 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:57 AM

benj, on November 2nd 2005, 02:44 PM, said:

Looks like zombie grammer has taken over! Run! :D

View Post

Ha ha ha.
You have no chance to survive make your time.

#123 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:55 AM

CATS: HA HA HA HA  (caution to those at work: put on your headphones)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#124 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:14 PM

the Battle Cat, on November 2nd 2005, 08:55 AM, said:

CATS: HA HA HA HA  (caution to those at work: put on your headphones)

View Post

Luckily I'm stuck with a PC at work, with no speakers.  :(
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#125 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:15 AM

Gerwin, on October 31st 2005, 08:54 AM, said:

Have some extra info that might help:
Yesterday, I reverted to some slightly older savegames (1 day older), and the game runs again. I remember I had the same problem before I reinstalled, and I see an odd similarity: In both cases, I had just aquired a Solar Power Plant, I ordered a Mercury to do best buying/selling, and sat in my Discovery parked somewhere else for a couple of hours, occasionaly wathcing the progress of the SPP and the increasing of my credits.
If I then closed the entire application and started the game again, it would crash. I don't seem have this kind of trouble if I don't sit and watch, but keep flying around and do some trading. Does this make sense?

View Post

OK, been playing a while now on this set of savegames, and have built up a small amount of money and a factory. Been flying around the entire universe (I think;)), even to the unknown sectors instead of standing still in dock or hanging around the same place in a sector, and it seems to help, no crashes yet.
After playing a while and jumping from sector to sector, things slow down: coming out of a jumpgate, menus, docking, so I save, close the game and startup again, ater which things are faster again. Looks like funny memory management, got 2Gig of it, should be enough. Can live with that though.
Anybody at VP reading this and seeing any sense in this?

#126 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:18 AM

the Battle Cat, on November 2nd 2005, 08:55 AM, said:

CATS: HA HA HA HA  (caution to those at work: put on your headphones)

View Post

lol, thats pretty good. I had no idea what you were talking about until I saw this.

Gerwin, on November 3rd 2005, 08:15 AM, said:

OK, been playing a while now on this set of savegames, and have built up a small amount of money and a factory. Been flying around the entire universe (I think;)), even to the unknown sectors instead of standing still in dock or hanging around the same place in a sector, and it seems to help, no crashes yet.
After playing a while and jumping from sector to sector, things slow down: coming out of a jumpgate, menus, docking, so I save, close the game and startup again, ater which things are faster again. Looks like funny memory management, got 2Gig of it, should be enough. Can live with that though.
Anybody at VP reading this and seeing any sense in this?

View Post

I've noticed that too Gerwin.  Most of the time this major slow down would occur because I would dock in a station, turn on SETA, and let the game run so I could raise more money. After a few hours of this I would come back to see how much money I had gained, the game would be very sluggish.  Choosing menu options like save took longer than normal for the game to do. I would just restart and everything would be back to normal. I didn't care too much because I would gain at least a million credits when I did this. It's a good way to make some money when your not even playing, but you also can lose your trading ships to pirates and xenon and not know it until you come back to look at how the games doing and read your messages. So what I like to do is name each ship by the factory it's trading for, in what sector, and what it's buying or selling so I can easily replace it.

#127 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:01 AM

That was also my plan: make some money while I was cooking dinner. but this seemed to produce corrupt savegames, so I decided to explore the universe instead. This may be related to the memory management, but that's just speculation.
Anyway, I now make daily .dmg archives of my savegames, so that I can always rollback to a situation before savegame corruption. This could save some frustration.
Well, there's one advantage: I'm now quite close to mapping the entire known universe :D

#128 Vespasian

Vespasian

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:30 PM

Gerwin.
I too have had the same sluggishness which would go away after quiting and restarting. I thought it was a memory issue as well.

I have had another experience twice with this game. game play will be fairly stable for some time. Long enough for me to get some things going several bases and a modest fleet of ships trading, then I'll get to a point where I'll be flying along and the game will stutter and hang up. I'll know the crash is coming and it does. What is weird is that once this happens no matter how far back I go, once I reach this time point in gameplay the crash reoccurs. I can't seem to get around it even with clean install etc. So I am forced to start from the beginning again and again.

Now Quick Silver says this is beacuse I'm running 10.3.9. but before I go and shell out $125.00 for 10.4 to play a $50.00 game which should work within the min system requirements labled. who is Master Blaster?  Does he know what he is talking about because he works for VP and has done testing or is he just speculating based on his own machines performance. It seems to be as Benj said that there are folks with both 10.3.9 and 10.4 having problems.

I guess I wouldn't give a crap if I didn't like this game so much and that's the real shame because it could have been one of the best games ever released for a Mac.
V.

#129 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:44 PM

Vespasian, on November 5th 2005, 03:30 AM, said:

I have had another experience twice with this game. game play will be fairly stable for some time. Long enough for me to get some things going several bases and a modest fleet of ships trading, then I'll get to a point where I'll be flying along and the game will stutter and hang up. I'll know the crash is coming and it does. What is weird is that once this happens no matter how far back I go, once I reach this time point in gameplay the crash reoccurs. I can't seem to get around it even with clean install etc. So I am forced to start from the beginning again and again.

That's a perfect example of what was fixed in X2 1.4.2 (assuming you didn't leave traces of the old version of X2 around).

Vespasian said:

Now Quick Silver says this is beacuse I'm running 10.3.9. but before I go and shell out $125.00 for 10.4 to play a $50.00 game which should work within the min system requirements labled. who is Master Blaster?  Does he know what he is talking about because he works for VP and has done testing or is he just speculating based on his own machines performance. It seems to be as Benj said that there are folks with both 10.3.9 and 10.4 having problems.

Okay, first of all you're taking what I said and applying it to other issues.  The random crashing in X2 is largely caused by Apple's OpenAL implementation, which was particularly bad in OS X 10.3.x.  It's just one of those misfortunate events that came out of nowhere.  "Who is Master Blaster?"  :D  :lol:  Master Blaster is a rank that's automatically assigned based on the number of posts that you have.  I should put that quote on my signature!

Vespasian said:

I guess I wouldn't give a crap if I didn't like this game so much and that's the real shame because it could have been one of the best games ever released for a Mac.

Apparently, you haven't played many games.  ;)  X2 is a heck of a lot of fun to play, but the combat is on rails and the whole interface is a mess, which definitely doesn't qualify X2 for "one of the best" games out there.  Here's to X3: Reunion!
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#130 Vespasian

Vespasian

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:01 AM

Quick.
I have never played any other version than 1.4.2 and you clearly have not understood my query (the misnomer aside) furthermore your snide comments are neither helpful nor needed. My point was to assertain the validity of your recomendations before spending additonal money to play this game.

And you are right I probably don't play as many games as some but that does not detract from the potential to be great game that X2 clearly has. Were it put together better.

Anyway I'll keep trying and I too hope that they will port X3 as I still am willing to give X2 a chance (once I get it to work right).

V.

#131 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:19 AM

I'm beginning to see a clear pattern here: If the standard set of answers ("you have 10.3, you need 10.4 because it's Apple's fault " and "we've sold all your problems in the latest patch, you need to start all over again and remove all your savegames") can be given, the response is swift, but when evidence appears that neither answers can be applied because somebody has 10.4 and has started again, with the latest patch and removing ..etc., then there is no response at all.

#132 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:30 AM

Hmm, there are still plenty of crashes even on my system (10.4.3/Dual 2.5/x800).  But it's tons of fun and none of my savegames has corrupted yet.