131 replies to this topic

#1 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:29 AM

this p.o.s. game just told me that all my saves were corrupt. I can't load them, so basically after putting up with all the freezing, saving up a bunch of money, I will have to start from scratch. Great job VP, last game I'll buy from you guys.
Dual 1.8 G5 768 MB RAM Radeon 9800  OS:10.4
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#2 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

benj, on August 17th 2005, 08:29 AM, said:

this p.o.s. game just told me that all my saves were corrupt. I can't load them, so basically after putting up with all the freezing, saving up a bunch of money, I will have to start from scratch. Great job VP, last game I'll buy from you guys.

View Post

Eek!
I was this close to buying X2 last night, but all those complaints about saving issues and stability made me think twice.  So it really is that bad...

#3 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

yeah, do not buy this game.  I just did a reinstall of the game, all my saves are corrupt and will not load. The game crashes when I try to load them. They worked yesterday, it makes no sense.  This game has plagued me with problems ever since I got it.  What a rip-off.
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:45 AM

How on Earth did you corrupt your saves??  Sounds like you must've been messing around in your system folders, or something.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:47 AM

This sounds like you have corrupted data on your Hard Drive, you might want to consider backing up before it fails on you.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#6 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:23 AM

i've had no problems with my computer at all, no crashes/freezes at all. so i have no freakin clue how the saves became corrupt, i didn't do anything except play the game. this game freezes and is really buggy so i wouldnt put it pass X2 to corrupt the files itself somehow. Its such a cool game idea its stinks that theres so many issues with it. I would like to start playing again but I'm afraid of my saves becoming corrupt. is there anything I can do? run nortons or something?

#7 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:27 AM

Yes... VP really does need to make another patch.  Optimistically, it will come out in the 2-3 months.  Cynically, 6+ months to never.

Mandrake628

#8 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:02 AM

Before it was freezing every now and then, i applied the patch, even less freezes, now it freezes every 2 minutes or so. VP should change their refund policy to refund money to people who pay for games that freeze so often they're unplayable.

#9 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:16 AM

benj, on August 17th 2005, 12:02 PM, said:

Before it was freezing every now and then, i applied the patch, even less freezes, now it freezes every 2 minutes or so. VP should change their refund policy to refund money to people who pay for games that freeze so often they're unplayable.

View Post

Maybe it really is your hard drive as was suggested in your other thread?
Run DiskWarrior or some other utility to see if this is a hardware issue first.

#10 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:29 AM

everything else runs fine though. I'll give it a shot anyways.

#11 schwa

schwa

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:04 PM

Is there some reason you couldn't just reply to your previous complaint thread? This is just contributing noise.

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:42 PM

schwa, on August 17th 2005, 10:04 AM, said:

Is there some reason you couldn't just reply to your previous complaint thread? This is just contributing noise.

View Post

Schwa is right.  Please don't start a second thread about the same thing benj, all you need is the one thread.  Because folks have contributed their time helping you in both threads, I've merged the two threads together into one.  Best of luck getting your problem solved benj, it sounds like it really punched you in the guts.  I hate losing work I've sweated bullets producing!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

I havent had any trouble loading saved games in X2, or corrupting files, maybe I've just been lucky, I don't know, but it seems to me it's probably your drive.
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#14 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:53 PM

sorry about the duplicates threads. Its very annoying when you buy a new game and all it does is "unexpectantly quit" and I get my saved games corrupted.  I've never had so many problems with a game before.

#15 alxvy

alxvy

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:44 PM

benj, on August 17th 2005, 01:29 PM, said:

View Post

I've had basically the same problem with Victoria and currently Gangland (both Virtual Programming). They seem to release every single program with major stability problems (Victoria used to corrupt save game files spontaneously as well). They do release patches, but I do wish they'd test these programs a little instead of churning out buggy ones at a rate of knots. I think I'll leave Virtual Programming games until they've been patched a few times from now on. In Gangland it messes it up since you can't save. Unbelievably bad quality.

#16 Pnin

Pnin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:54 PM

I had terrible problems with the game at first. Each time I tried to dock at a station, which is the only way to save early in the game, the game would crash. After the crash i would restart and the application would ask me if I wanted to use the "new" settings or revert to the old one. Then I realized that I did change the keyboad and graphic settings prior to relaunch. I emailed Freeverse about my theory that the save game crashes were related to changes in the settings. Since then I have started with a new game and have avoided any and all changes to the settings or any confirgurations. The game has had just one crash after hours of play, which is probably better than half of my Mac games. Now my only problem is learning the economic and battle ins and outs. I'm finding it a rather tough game to get into but much more enjoyable after I left the settings alone.
At this point I think it was worthwhile purchase.

#17 Zeke Kaz

Zeke Kaz

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:03 PM

I have had issues with saved games in other programs llike Total Annihilation, and Homeworld 2 and my guess would be a fragmented hardrive for I have run Norton Spped Disk shortly after these problems and the drive as had some significant fragmentation. It would make sense that loseing  parts of the saved games might corrupt them enough for the program to say it couldn't open them.

#18 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

Zeke Kaz, on August 18th 2005, 01:03 PM, said:

It would make sense that loseing  parts of the saved games

Maybe you should run fsck more often, because fragmentation doesn't do that.

#19 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 02:26 PM

Just a few minutes ago, the game started crashing every time I try loading a save game. I'm going to try reinstalling it, I hope that works. It would take forever to get back to where I was.

Edit: All my saves before a certain point are fine, so I only lost about four hours of progress.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#20 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

Well, that cleared up whether any of VP's games were worth buying. After I had the Gangland demo crash on me five times I realised they really have a long way to go...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton