59 replies to this topic

#41 BBUCK

BBUCK

Fanatic

• IMG Writers
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

Turtle, on August 11th 2005, 03:32 PM, said:

I got distracted while I was modifying my post accordingly. I enjoy a bit of humor but the skit was incredibly unnecessary. In the review you had a lot of "uhs" and pauses which slowed things down. Those segments really stood out to me. Don't bring in elements that aren't relevant, such as slamming Microsoft, it was cute and a bit funny but it's not something you can keep doing. Who knows some one might get a tiny bit offended ;) Hopefully this adds a little more light to what I was getting at.

Also the overlay of game footage while you were talking needs to be bigger. Trim the round border up a bit cause you can't see much of the footage in its current form.

View Post

As for 'uhs' and pauses, it is an inevitable part of filming a segment such as this.  And even so, there aren't very many of them anyway.  In fact, some of them were intentional, such as  "And, uh, this thing"

And when you say "Don't bring in elements that aren't relevant", I think you might be stretching it.  Any red-blooded mac user should take the time to slam Micirosoft ;) .  Plus, this is a vieo review on a mac gaming website, not CNN.  I don't think trying to stay totally objective makes these review any better.

Sure I could have made this review very straight-forward and not fool around any, but how much fun is that?

(BTW, to answer your question, I capture the game footage using external equpiment, and not programs like Snapz in order to maximize game performance)

P.S.: Seriously Turtle, stop re-editing your posts and just make new ones, it's driving me crazy.

#42 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

Matt Diamond, on August 11th 2005, 09:15 AM, said:

I disagree with the comments about seeing the reviewer less throughout the review.

So you do want the game relegated to a corner of the screen where you can barely make it out?

#43 Turtle

Turtle

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:09 PM

BBUCK, on August 11th 2005, 12:52 PM, said:

As for 'uhs' and pauses, it is an inevitable part of filming a segment such as this.  And even so, there aren't very many of them anyway.  In fact, some of them were intentional, such as  "And, uh, this thing"

And when you say "Don't bring in elements that aren't relevant", I think you might be stretching it.  Any red-blooded mac user should take the time to slam Micirosoft ;) .  Plus, this is a vieo review on a mac gaming website, not CNN.  I don't think trying to stay totally objective makes these review any better.

Sure I could have made this review very straight-forward and not fool around any, but how much fun is that?

(BTW, to answer your question, I capture the game footage using external equpiment, and not programs like Snapz in order to maximize game performance)

P.S.: Seriously Turtle, stop re-editing your posts and just make new ones, it's driving me crazy.

View Post

Good points. I still think the skit with the guy impersonating the developer was just too damn goofy and over the top. But then I could just be insane.

Now external equipment? You really need to link me to stuff. I would kill to get rid of snapz pro and a hardware method sounds so much more reliable. Is it simply something that hijacks the video from the card into a dat recorder?

Also I shall never stop editing my posts. If my plans unfold correctly then once I reach a thousands posts I will reedit my very first post, the resulting chain events will quickly unravel universe making everything go boom!

#44 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:15 AM

Before I hit the ground running, just a reminder: constructive criticism is the only kind I'll hear.  Bobbob, I'm sure you mean the best, but just about everything you've written reads like an insult.  Perhaps if you offered comments based off the idea that we're people who are experimenting with a new medium and willing to try things out instead of assuming we're a bunch of morons who haven't got a clue about web design, photography, or video reviews we would listen to you.  As it is, I'm not interested in listening.  If you like not being utterly ignored, try being a little more polite.

Turtle: before starting any filming we talked a bit about whether to do a straight up all-in-game-footage review or do it the style we have it currently.  Our reasons for doing it the way we did it is because we have three main priorities: 1) deliver a solid review of the game, 2) allow people to see some gameplay (serving as a step up from the screenshots), and 3) not bore the crap out of people.  Jokes, the Pandemic skit, and shots of Blake were all in support of the third priority.

We may well experiment with enlarging the gameplay circle thing in Blake shots, but keep in mind that most of the shots that were playing were also seen full size in the rest of the review.  This leads to another issue that comes up in the video review: getting good gameplay shots.  It takes a goodly amount of time to get a large amount of quality shots, since even though Blake can just film himself playing the game for large amounts of time, he still has to go through all of that to pick out the good bits.

And Turtle, you're not insane, but we do reserve the right to make utter idiots out of ourselves for the sake of a review that keeps people's interest.  Well alright, make utter idiots of Blake and friend.  Not being in the review, I can't really talk.  :)

I noticed a couple people mentioned the music as a negative aspect.  This is actually something that you can help us with!  Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to go out into the vast place that is the internet and find some really awesome music that is released under a Creative Commons license.  Royalty free also works, but that stuff you usually have to pay an up-front fee for.  Then, once you've found the absolutely perfect, best, CC licensed music, return unto us and give us the link.  We'll take a listen, debate with a panel of experts, and we may just use the music you selected in the next review.

Believe me, this is harder than it sounds (pun intended).  One place I would suggest starting is CCMixter, but there may well be other resources.  Good luck.

Lastly, I'd like everyone to keep in mind that this is the very first video review we've done, so being rough around the edges is something that's pretty predictable.  Not an excuse, but I just thought that I should throw that out there since some people seem to think that the first effort must be perfect or the endeavor will suck forevermore.
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#45 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:16 AM

bobbob, on August 11th 2005, 04:32 PM, said:

Matt Diamond said:

I disagree with the comments about seeing the reviewer less throughout the review.
So you do want the game relegated to a corner of the screen where you can barely make it out?

View Post

No, I was responding to the comments preceding mine about whether the reviewer was shown too OFTEN.

The comments about the game's size when the reviewer is also on screen came AFTER my post. I couldn't have been responding to them. Please, try to keep up.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

George the Flea, on August 11th 2005, 11:15 PM, said:

I noticed a couple people mentioned the music as a negative aspect.  This is actually something that you can help us with!  Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to go out into the vast place that is the internet and find some really awesome music that is released under a Creative Commons license.  Royalty free also works, but that stuff you usually have to pay an up-front fee for.  Then, once you've found the absolutely perfect, best, CC licensed music, return unto us and give us the link.  We'll take a listen, debate with a panel of experts, and we may just use the music you selected in the next review.

View Post

You have my permission to use and loop my world debut music file It's a Mad Mad World... and if it makes you feel any better, revenge wise, I had a clothes pin on my nose and was slapping my cheeks.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

the Battle Cat, on August 12th 2005, 09:12 AM, said:

You have my permission to use and loop my world debut music file It's a Mad Mad World... and if it makes you feel any better, revenge wise, I had a clothes pin on my nose and was slapping my cheeks.

View Post

:rotfl:  Oh man, that was hilarious!
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#48 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

The video review was good but not great.  The added humor was good but sometimes cheesy.  I suppose it could look a little more professional - it looks like it was taken on at somebodys house.

Commentary behind full screen in-game footage is better than just watching the person speak to a camera and the footage in the little box in the top left of the screen while he is talking is not visible really and not needed then.

My two cents.
Honor but above all, Loyalty.

#49 Turtle

Turtle

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

the Battle Cat, on August 12th 2005, 06:12 AM, said:

View Post

tBC..that..was..weird..  :blink:  :blink:  :crazy:

George, may I suggest you play with Garage Band a bit. You can easily make background tracks using apples loops and the best part is it's all free...Minus the cost of the program...and extra loops...

Overall it was a good start, I enjoyed the information, cringed a bit on the skit :teehee: , but walked away with what I wanted to know.

Recording the footage is not as hard as it seams. After a lot of notes I try to make shots that I want happen, with some luck I can get them quick, but when I've been unlucky I've lost hours. So yeah,  you are right, and depending on the recording method filming/snipping footage can be time consuming. Either way you had some good footage throughout the vid. :teehee:  

So bring on some more craziness..

PS this board doesnt allow many emotes?!?!?! Who must I kill?

#50 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:41 PM

Turtle, on August 12th 2005, 03:02 PM, said:

PS this board doesnt allow many emotes?!?!?! Who must I kill?

View Post

If you suicide bomb another forum you will go to heaven and be given 72 virgin emotes.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#51 Turtle

Turtle

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

the Battle Cat, on August 12th 2005, 04:41 PM, said:

If you suicide bomb another forum you will go to heaven and be given 72 virgin emotes.

View Post

:: Runs off :: "ahahahahaha frogblast the ventcore!!!"

#52 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:15 PM

Honest 2 god feedback...Ummmm how about a video review where we don't have to see the whats his name face?!
PLEASE! :P
Video or text reviews don't really make that much of a difference to me just as long as there is footage/screens of the game.
I <3 RJ

#53 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

Not sure if anybody has said this yet because I don't feel like going back through and reading everything.

I just watched one of the Gamespot reviews and I thought it was really good.  What I was thinking is that if Matt Diamond can continue to write his beautiful reviews ;) but Blake Buck can simply read his review accompanied by some in game footage.

#54 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:24 PM

Shade, on August 30th 2005, 06:30 PM, said:

I just watched one of the Gamespot reviews and I thought it was really good.  What I was thinking is that if Matt Diamond can continue to write his beautiful reviews ;) but Blake Buck can simply read his review accompanied by some in game footage.

Sadly, I have to tell you that there is very little chance of this happening, for one main reason: reading a full review out loud takes far too long, and gets boring quickly.  Because of the additional length, you need additional gameplay footage.  Also, reviews get into a certain amount of detail that is largely superfluous to a video review where we can show instead of telling.

Plus there isn't really any reason to watch the video review and read the print review if they are exactly the same as far as verbage goes.

Thanks for your suggestion, though!
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#55 LordViking

LordViking

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:51 PM

My take on it is that I'd rather see more game footage, less presenter, and no sarcastic little sketches.  Maybe take the review, then document one level of work, for instance play through part of a map, and do a commentary as to what the game is doing poorly, and what it is doing well and document that all through the video.  Keep trying though, the video review has promise, but for now Im still going to be reading without the video, right now it just doesnt compliment the text, was it ever supposed to though?  What purpose is the video review supposed to fulfill?
In Soviet Russia, signature read you!

#56 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:24 AM

agreed, more footage, and less of it stuck in the top corner so that you cant really see it... Perhaps just record a game for like 2 hours, and if multiplayer, a single LAN match would do it. Take everything, and then cut it down to size. Even if it results in having some sections where your just moving/sneaking. it gives an accurate representation of the game...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#57 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:27 AM

A video review should focus on what the text review can't, in game footage.  If the text and video reviews are presented together as companion pieces, then the video should consist of in game footage highlighting the points made in the review.  That said, I thought the personal touch of having a human there talking to you about it is a good one, but more attention should be paid to looking at the game in action.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#58 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:31 AM

Well that's what I was thinking of - since it seems that Matt's review is a little more well put together than Blakes (no offence) then Blakes job can be finding some in game footage to accompany the review.

And true if they were the exact same then nobody would read it probably but I think it would be a better sounding piece.

#59 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:37 AM

Thanks for the kind remarks about my written review.

Some people wanted the video review to be more complete, and others wanted it to show the game more... I thought Blake's review did a pretty good job of concentrating on things that could be shown visually (graphics, the issue of using a mouse to control a starfighter, etc.) He had to mention the networking issues but how to show that? He didn't of course; a 60-second connection time-out isn't very interesting to watch. :-)

For this reason I think the video reviews can't strictly mirror the written ones, and must be a bit more "breezy" and fun. Not dumbed down necessarily, but streamlined. More like a summary. The written review should cover more ground. Ideally the two approaches would complement each other.

Would it be better just to have video footage illustrating sections of a written review? I certainly think that would work, but it's a little dry. Maybe IMG should consider doing that for some titles that aren't getting the full video review treatment. But I enjoyed Blake's video review enough that I'd like to see IMG continue to attempt that format for a while. I think it's a fun alternative/complement to the written review.

I'm quite curious as to what game will be next to get a video review!
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#60 BBUCK

BBUCK

Fanatic

• IMG Writers
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:50 PM

Matt Diamond, on August 31st 2005, 12:37 PM, said:

I'm quite curious as to what game will be next to get a video review!

View Post

The next video review will be Lego Star Wars, and will be coming in the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll play around with some ideas and see if I can get something good.