Jump to content


Which games have tempted you to the Dark $ide?


  • Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#181 Batcat

Batcat

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts
  • Location:In Flux

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:33 AM

Eric5h5, on September 30th 2005, 07:17 PM, said:

Well, hey, I always except your scintillating replies.  :) 

--Eric
Thanks, Eric- I considered that one, but I'd already got Randy all grumpy in another thread, so...

RandyWang, on September 30th 2005, 06:18 PM, said:

...so don't expect any scintillating replies from me in the near future.  :happy:

EDIT: speeling.
Oh, we can always expect a spiel from you. :)

#182 Joe M.

Joe M.

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:33 AM

Askilfeasd, on September 28th 2005, 07:42 PM, said:

Hey thanks! Those links are really helpful! One question quick... I am a little puzzled over this one, for gaming which one of these processors is better?

If you're into heavy gaming, the Athlon 64 line of processors is really the way to go, even if you get the cheapest one available (which was pretty cheap last time I checked).  The Athlon 64s are quality quality processors and outperform any pentium of their respective class as far as gaming is concerned. Intels are better at the whole multitasking thing and some media operations but AMD is the clear king of gaming.

This appears to be the cheapest one available:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103485

and believe me, the extra $40 will be worth it.

Also make sure you get the right motherboard for your processor. For example, I have a 754 pin 3400+ AMD processor, so I matched that up with a 754 motherboard. It'll be clearly indicated on the product info.

And note that most PC motherboards do not come with a firewire port. You'll have to poke around in the listings for one (I personally bought an ASUS deluxe with every damned port imaginable) if that's a concern.

Oh and best of luck building your PC. It was a rewarding experience for me, having some pretty iffy technical skills and a whole lot of trepidation going into the process.

Lastly: buy an anti-static wrist strap if you want to be 100% careful. I haven't used mine since I first built my PC, as simply touching the metal interior of the case every little while releases the static - but do what makes you most comfortable. Have fun.  :)

#183 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:10 PM

Joe M., on October 3rd 2005, 03:33 AM, said:

If you're into heavy gaming, the Athlon 64 line of processors is really the way to go, even if you get the cheapest one available (which was pretty cheap last time I checked).  The Athlon 64s are quality quality processors and outperform any pentium of their respective class as far as gaming is concerned. Intels are better at the whole multitasking thing and some media operations but AMD is the clear king of gaming.

This appears to be the cheapest one available:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103485

and believe me, the extra $40 will be worth it.

Also make sure you get the right motherboard for your processor. For example, I have a 754 pin 3400+ AMD processor, so I matched that up with a 754 motherboard. It'll be clearly indicated on the product info.

And note that most PC motherboards do not come with a firewire port. You'll have to poke around in the listings for one (I personally bought an ASUS deluxe with every damned port imaginable) if that's a concern.

Oh and best of luck building your PC. It was a rewarding experience for me, having some pretty iffy technical skills and a whole lot of trepidation going into the process.

Lastly: buy an anti-static wrist strap if you want to be 100% careful. I haven't used mine since I first built my PC, as simply touching the metal interior of the case every little while releases the static - but do what makes you most comfortable. Have fun.  :)

View Post


Newegg.com doesn't always have the best price. 754 pins are already outdated.
Fry's usually has some pretty good deals on parts. Oh and you want an Athlon not a Sempron.
Essential parts for building a PC:
computer case
hard drive
power supply
video card (be very careful when choosing sometimes 128mb doesn't really mean it has 128mb)
monitor
motherboard
CPU (sometimes comes with motherboards)
RAM (1gb seems to be recommended, Windows is a hog)
cooling fans (sometimes come with case, however the CPU needs a seperate one)
Windows the dreaded OS of doom (XP Pro is best, this will probably be the most expensive part)
Mouse & Keyboard
Speakers and/or headphones
DVD drive

I think I got it all. Good luck.  ;)

#184 bobbob

bobbob

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:51 PM

kingarthur_kom, on October 3rd 2005, 09:10 PM, said:

computer case
power supply

Get a good power supply. Some poor bastard spends $50 on a no-name case with a no-name powersupply and then complains that their computer turns itself off occasionally, won't wake up from sleep, etc. (hmmm...) Don't be that poor bastard. An Antec Sonata II is a very good case and it comes with a good powersupply, get one of those if you have no clue.

Quote

video card (be very careful when choosing sometimes 128mb doesn't really mean it has 128mb)

If you are buying a card based on how much memory it has then you've got other problems, plus you might as well mention the only times this happens.

Geforce 6200s with "turbo cache" and some of the new Radeons with "hypermemory" only come with 16-64 MB of onboard memory. Reputable stores might list 'supported' or 'shared' system memory used to augment the card, but the specs will be show how much is actually on the card. Check out the manufacturor's page for detailed specs just to be sure.

Quote

cooling fans (sometimes come with case, however the CPU needs a seperate one)

The CPU probably comes with one, if you read the specs. Get a third-party one only if you've researched what you want, which you probably haven't.

Quote

Windows the dreaded OS of doom (XP Pro is best, this will probably be the most expensive part)

Why pro? What does pro have that you need? What does pro have that you can't do yourself? Get an OEM copy of XP home (and a fan or something) for cheap, or OEM pro if you want to spend more for fun.


Ok, here's my detailed suggestions. Target price around $750 US from Newegg (plus shipping and OS). Newegg, Monarch Computers, and (in Canada) NCIX are preferred over fly-by-night competitors with the lowest price.

Sonata II case, $100 (not much reason to pick another case+PSU except price)
Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core), $146 (overclock to risk a faster CPU for cheaper)
PNY Geforce 6600GT, $179 (look at benchmarks for alternatives)
DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity motherboard, $105 (cheaper boards exist, others have more ports)
2xmushkin Value 512MB PC3200, $90 (2x1GB would be better)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB hard drive, $77 (how much space do you need?)
black BenQ DW1640 DVD+DL disc burner, $40 (very good burner, better than Apple's choice of Pioneer in many tests, certainly much cheaper)


You can add a soundcard if you really notice and want cleaner sound, but that's about it. XP Home OEM is $109 at Newegg.

#185 Joe M.

Joe M.

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:00 AM

bobbob, on October 3rd 2005, 10:51 PM, said:

Sonata II case, $100 (not much reason to pick another case+PSU except price)
Athlon 64 3000+ (venice core), $146 (overclock to risk a faster CPU for cheaper)
PNY Geforce 6600GT, $179 (look at benchmarks for alternatives)
DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity motherboard, $105 (cheaper boards exist, others have more ports)
2xmushkin Value 512MB PC3200, $90 (2x1GB would be better)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB hard drive, $77 (how much space do you need?)
black BenQ DW1640 DVD+DL disc burner, $40 (very good burner, better than Apple's choice of Pioneer in many tests, certainly much cheaper)
You can add a soundcard if you really notice and want cleaner sound, but that's about it. XP Home OEM is $109 at Newegg.

Solid recommendations, can't go wrong here IMO. Definitely go Newegg if possible - if you have ANY problems whatsoever, their RMA service is one of the best in the business (i had a motherboard fry on me, sent it to them overnight, new one arrived 3 days later free of charge).

And to the prior poster, "outdated" is the point. He doesn't want to spend $2000 on a PC, or at least that was my impression. You can save a bit on the CPU so long as the GPU is a solid one (and the 6600GT has horsepower for just about everything currently), and there are upgrades available should he need a faster cpu in the future. These are all things one needs to take into consideration when building a PC; not everything has to be the latest and greatest.

#186 tthiel

tthiel

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, Az

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:31 AM

Half-Life 2, Counterstrike, coming out COD 2 and Quake 4 which we won't see on the Mac for a long time.  We are also losing alot by not having Gamespy anymore.

#187 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts
  • Location:Sydney what happened to my damn summer?

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:53 AM

The whole Gamespy debate has gone very quiet. Is it because its all over red rover? Surely there must be a way around it. In game browsers will obviously not happen anymore but could a stand-alone browser like Mortal or even GR be modified to connect us to our PC brethren? Tell me if I'm talking out of my A$$, wouldn't be the first time.

With most clans here in Australia now also using TeamSpeak maybe the bell has finally tolled for my online gaming habit on a Mac.

Guess its time to build my own Winblows machine now that my upgraded G4 will go no further after the COD: UO community dies out.

#188 Huntn

Huntn

    Verbal Windbag

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:35 PM

monkeyphonix, on October 11th 2005, 12:53 AM, said:

With most clans here in Australia now also using TeamSpeak maybe the bell has finally tolled for my online gaming habit on a Mac.

View Post


Maybe not?. :)

-Hunt'n