#41 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:10 AM

Abecedaria, on August 1st 2005, 05:58 PM, said:

I'm a Logitech MX 300/310 man, myself. To me it's just the right combination of precision, size, buttons, feel, and looks. I've never had it mistrack in a 3D shooter, something my Kensington did all the time. The buttons have never gone south on it as the Kensington did.  The rubberized grip gives you just the right feel without all of the uncomfortable curves of the Logitech MX 5XX series.

Overall, a very solid, reliable mouse without a gazillion buttons to accidently push. Oh, and it's cheap, too.

abc

View Post

The 300 and 310 were what I used before the 510. The 300's worn out, IIRC, but the 310's still a fallback. Doesn't have the precision or buttons the 5 series does, tho, and the increased size is a tradeoff I'm OK with now after acclimation. I seldom mis-hit a mouse button, and the convenience is teh nice.

As I recall, a few years ago there was a small IBM mouse I tried at CompUSA that felt about perfect... there was only the sample, tho, no stock; so I went with the Logitech. I needed a mouse right then.

Be curious to know now what that other one was...

#42 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:17 AM

EyceNine, on July 29th 2005, 05:17 AM, said:

I have a Razer Diamondback and an eXactMat. No competition not even the mx1000.

Ugly as hell though :/

http://www.razerzone.com/

View Post

Uh! The 80s have been long over why did they need to bring them back? :lol:

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#43 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:20 AM

simsbaby, on August 2nd 2005, 03:17 AM, said:

Uh! The 80s have been long over why did they need to bring them back? :lol:

View Post

It's retro, baby. :cool:

#44 Metropolis Man

Metropolis Man

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:14 AM

http://www.apple.com/

Wouldn't you know it?! I order a Logitech 518 and Apple finally comes out with a multi-button mouse!

#45 Khral

Khral

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:11 PM

I'd like to add one more thing to this thread. Whichever mouse you pick, I highly recommend you look into using USB Overdrive. I know some of you are probably already using it. But for me it took a while to figure out why it's so important, which is what i'm going to get into here...

Let me start off by quoting Frigidman, who made a very astute observation regarding OS X and mouse support. The quote was taken from IMG's official thread on Apple's Mighty Mouse. I thought it would be relevant to start off the discussion with it.

Frigidman, on August 2nd 2005, 01:16 PM, said:

The mouse speed and acceleration curve USED TO BE good all the way up to the end of OS 9. However with the advent of OSX, that went to the crapper, and has been my biggest complaint with OSX and Gaming ever since. Sadly to say, my lowsy Windblows XP has better mouse control (with the same mouse) than my OSX.

*snip* (from another reply) *snip*

More like "step"... as slower speeds, the cursor moves very smooth and slow, but gradually the faster you move the mouse, all of a sudden the cursor will reach a point where it kicks it in higher gear and starts moving much faster. This is much more noticable at faster mouse speed settings (almost insanel erratic at the highest speed, but who uses that anyway?).

It is not a smooth fluid "curve" like os9 had, which was proportional to the speed you physically moved the mouse.

Also, it seems (by watching freehand drawing in photoshop), osX has a more 'square' directional, where it favors the axis more than the diagonals. This made freehand drawing in photoshop for me a serious pain as compared to what I could do in os9.

But oh well, I gave up computer art a long time ago, so its no biggie to me. All I do now is type and select copy/paste text.

I think Frigidman hit the nail right on the head. The sad thing is it took me this long to figure out that something was in fact wrong with OS X mouse tracking at a system level. OS 9 mouse tracking was much, much better. I never had a problem with it under any occasion. I just plugged my mouse, turned the sensitivity up, and completely forgot about it.

But ever since I moved to OS X I noticed that every single one of my mice have been performing poorly. The acceleration just seemed very off some how. Precision aiming in FPS titles was now gone. I either had a tendency to overshoot or undershoot my target spot. As a result most of my gaming experience has ended in complete frustration.

I actually bought four different mice (2 MacAlly and 2 Logitech) within the course of two years, thinking that maybe it was the mouse itself that might've been the problem. I've spent countless hours in consoles, configs, menus, etc. and I have tweaked every single command variable and menu setting imagineable. But all that time was completely wasted.

I heard about USB Overdrive before but I never bothered to download it. I thought it was just for programming keys for mice that didn't have custom drivers available for OS X. And because it was shareware I was reluctant to try it out. So there was a period where I just blew it off as an overrated piece of software. Wow, was I an idiot for thinking that.

I eventually got around to downloading it after having exhausted all my options. And once I started messing with the acceleration and sensitivity settings, I was amazed at just how much better the mouse tracking got. It actually felt like OS 9 all over again. And not a minute passed when I hopped online and sent in my registration info to pay for this software. USB Overdrive is the single most important tool that makes OS X gaming bearable. Hands down.

Oh, and regarding the last part of the quote, I'm a graphic designer and I have to say that I know exactly what he means about the square movements. It's completely true. But as annoying as it is sometimes it really hasn't bothered me to the point of quitting just yet. Most of my time is spent in Illustrator anyway. If something needs to be hand drawn I'd probably just save my time by scanning it in and whippin' out the Wacom. But yeah... no mouse for freehand art. *shudders*

#46 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

Metropolis Man, on August 2nd 2005, 08:14 AM, said:

http://www.apple.com/

Wouldn't you know it?! I order a Logitech 518 and Apple finally comes out with a multi-button mouse!

View Post

As you will see in this thread the Mighty Mouse probably isn't the best choice for gaming.
Honor but above all, Loyalty.

#47 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:59 AM

The cat was just set amongst the pigeons again...

Razer has just released Copperhead, the industry's first laser gaming mouse. The Copperhead offers tracking precision at up to 2000 dpi and the first mouse to utilize Full Speed (12MBps) USB. The 2000 dpi laser sensor uses a 16-bit data path and samples at 1000Hz, compared to other mice that poll at 125Hz.
http://www.laptoplog.../06/2005/407/0/

#48 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:48 AM

Sure looks sexy - but that is like overkill.

#49 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:56 AM

The most beautiful mouse I've ever seen, and I don't only mean its look. It's bought.

#50 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:16 AM

Civic, after you get it report back and let us know how it works for a variety of games.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#51 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:00 AM

As soon as they announce a date and its price, and let me (pre-)order it... so far it's only the Flash intro with a few pictures and informations about the mouse.

#52 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:12 PM

Logitech is introducing 2 new laser wireless "gaming" mice:

http://www.logitech....2&categoryid=58

#53 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:51 PM

Bah, I hate these heavy Logitech bricks. I as gamer use my fingertips to play for better speed and control but the Logitech mice are very bad for that. They want you to put your whole hand on 'em, unlike the Razer mice which are optimized for the fingertip-style. Another big factor is the weight... when I switched from my old MX510 to the Razer Viper a few months ago... it was incredible. I ditched the Logitech right away and love my current Diamondback.
So now they announced new gaming mice, with Laser Technology... just a few days after Razer announced the Copperhead, heh. They still use this "unfriendly" form... and I'm sure the weight didn't change.

Waiting for the Razer Copperhead, release date is supposed to be August 22nd. New infos and specs have been launched on their website this morning, it's awesome! AND, there will be own mac-drivers by Razer soon, with way more features than what USB Overdrive offers. :)

http://www.razerzone.com/

#54 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:25 PM

I play with my fingertips too.  Thanks for bringing this aspect to light for me.  I need to get a hands on demo of these mice to compare the feel of them and the control configuration.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#55 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

Civic, on August 11th 2005, 12:51 PM, said:

Bah, I hate these heavy Logitech bricks.
Another big factor is the weight
... and I'm sure the weight didn't change.

The new G5 mouse from Logitech has an adjustable weight carraige.

BTW Placy it is wired not wireless. One new wireless mouse (the G7 ) and one wired.
I serve too many masters.

#56 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:30 AM

Well, they're still bigger and bulkier than the Razer mice in its form. Also, as mentioned before, they're made for the palm, very unsuitable for the most gamer's "fingertip-style".

#57 Greg Grant

Greg Grant

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:58 PM

I picked up an MX1000 finally...

there's not anything life changing to be had as even my grand-daddy of optical mice Intellimouse Explorer (The 1.1) updated at 1200 times a sec.

I did notice that it seemed a little smoother in small movements but it I nearly tossed it when I first was using it because it was jumpy. Anyhow, I've come to the formal opinion that wireless mice just don't do it for me because interference can cause erratic behavior. About the time I unplugged the AC adapter to the base station it started working properly.  Anyhow, Illustrator is a little easier to use and when using Motion, its great not having to worry about my mouse skipping.

I'll have to toy with my friend's MX518 but I think the MX1000 finally is a mouse worthy replacing my tried and true Intellimouse Explorer, plus it has more buttons (3 thumb buttons instead of two, and clickers above/below the scroll wheel)
the IMG audio guy...

#58 Shade

Shade

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 04:36 PM

I still like my Logitech "Brick" MX1000 because even though it is a brick it is the most comfortable right handed mouse in my opinion unless your hand is ungoldly large.

#59 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:03 AM

Logitech builds what may be the most sophisticated gaming mouse ever designed. Offering adjustable precision, a laser-based sensor and impressive customization, it instantly became one of our favorites.
Extremetech reviews the Logitech G5 Laser Optical Mouse.

#60 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:21 AM

Civic, on August 13th 2005, 07:30 AM, said:

Well, they're still bigger and bulkier than the Razer mice in its form. Also, as mentioned before, they're made for the palm, very unsuitable for the most gamer's "fingertip-style".

View Post

I guess if a mouse is not comfortable it does not matter how fast or high res it is.

BTW there are actually some players that use extra large mouse pads and have the mouse speed set so low that you move it with the entire arm. It makes it easier for distance with hitscan weapons but a hindrance in close combat melee since it takes more movement to pull a 180.

If you are only using your fingertips, lowering your mouse speed and using more movement might help your accuracy. But if you are great with your accuracy already then the highest speed you can handle will help you target enemies in close combat quicker.
I serve too many masters.