42 replies to this topic

#21 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:27 AM

I'd say if the patch increases the number 5x, to 10k, that means that about 2k would be the current max.

....sheesh, over 2k add-ons!?  That's insane....
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#22 ThrashNeon

ThrashNeon

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:37 AM

GlendaAdams, on July 15th 2005, 09:59 AM, said:

It looks like a vast majority of Sims 2 problems people have are from installing too many add-in objects, and blowing up OS X's file limit.  We have a patch in QA to increase the limit about 5 times (to 10K-12K files), until then I'd recommend playing with a more vanilla install (not so many add-ons), as we are getting very few bug reports at all with those configs.

Count me amongst the "very few"...  :P

I have lost two lots on two separate occasions.
EXTREMELY vanilla install... infact, i don't think I have ANY downloaded objects.

In both cases, I had saved the lots several times during gameplay. Upon quitting and relaunching Sims... poof, gone. In one case I had spent like 10 hours building a pretty elaborate house. (Guess I'll never get THAT time back).

So now, rather than risk lost data, I've been backing up the lots as I work on them from the neighborhood folder.

(I'm gonna look at using a Folder Action or AppleScript to do this automatically)

#23 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:35 PM

The iMac Man, on July 15th 2005, 08:27 AM, said:

I'd say if the patch increases the number 5x, to 10k, that means that about 2k would be the current max.
....sheesh, over 2k add-ons!?  That's insane....

View Post

2k is optimistic. I hit the download ceiling at around 1100.

#24 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:23 PM

The iMac Man, on July 15th 2005, 08:27 AM, said:

....sheesh, over 2k add-ons!?  That's insane....

View Post

Not really. These are Mods like the ones you make for Call of Duty. These are custom skins, body parts etc.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#25 Laure

Laure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

same here,  I get it up to about 1300 if I remove all the characters and lot files from 2 of the neighborhoods.  So, I am assuming that the 2000 file limit includes game files created at the time of installation and files created during game play (each new sim, each new house, etc).

2000 doesn't strike me as a lot.  I know people with the windows version who have over 8000 add ons in their games.  The possibility of making and collecting add ons  is the main attraction for many people who bought the game.

I'm glad there is a patch on way.  

Laure

#26 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:55 PM

Wow, that's a lot of downloading...
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#27 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:06 AM

The iMac Man, on July 15th 2005, 08:55 PM, said:

Wow, that's a lot of downloading...

View Post

lol, not really, considering how new the game is. I would download a lot more if the game could handle it. It can get boring pretty quick with the same old  walls floors & objects for every home. My TS1 game has over 2 gig of downloads. But of course we had the wonderful Farmaker to help us. :)

#28 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:49 AM

What I don't get is why Sim City 4 has no problem with file limits.

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#29 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

simsbaby, on July 15th 2005, 11:49 PM, said:

View Post

That''s a really good question...

Also with TS2, skins go in the download folder too, so they count in the file limit as well.  :(  Simmies MUST have lots and lots of outfits. It's too tacky for them to all wear the same thing! :blink:

#30 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:32 AM

GlendaAdams, on July 12th 2005, 11:02 AM, said:

It's very possible lost families are due to the file limit, and the patch for that should be ready to go within the next week.  This patch will also fix a cheat or two that were broken.

Glenda

View Post

It's been well over a week now.......... :(
Is the patch getting close???

#31 Laure

Laure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

:(  i've been counting the days too,  I was really hoping that it would be released before this weekend.  I hope delay doesn't mean that there are more problems.

#32 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:15 PM

The PC version just had a patch released yesterday.  Either they're trying to roll those changes in and ran into issues or maybe they're still trying to get the patch approved (which sometimes can take awhile *cough*idsoftware*cough*).
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#33 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:37 PM

simsbaby, on July 16th 2005, 04:49 PM, said:

View Post

Maybe because it doesn't leave files open when it's not actually reading from them? The "normal" usage pattern with files is "Open file, load needed data into memory, close file", not "open file, load data, open file, load data ..." without ever closing anything.

#34 NeverFade

NeverFade

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

Glenda - what ever happened to the patch that was supposed to be released a few weeks ago?  

Or anybody, I guess, with some sort of an answer!!

#35 iluvmymactoo

iluvmymactoo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:47 PM

NeverFade, on July 27th 2005, 06:40 AM, said:

Glenda - what ever happened to the patch that was supposed to be released a few weeks ago? 

Or anybody, I guess, with some sort of an answer!!

View Post

Maybe they're considering how to port the pc patch over to Mac so we get only part of the benefit that windows uses get..... again  :glare:

Don't be hoping we will then be able to utilise all the cheats our windows counterparts can, we are not that significant to games companies.

#36 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

iluvmymactoo, on July 27th 2005, 04:47 PM, said:

Maybe they're considering how to port the pc patch over to Mac so we get only part of the benefit that windows uses get..... again  :glare:

Don't be hoping we will then be able to utilise all the cheats our windows counterparts can, we are not that significant to games companies.

View Post

Yeah, I'm  not extremely computer literate, but when I saw that the code is written to basically emulate a PC (as if the game is running in Virtual PC on a Mac) I was skeptical to say the least. Then reading the manual etc., and most key commands are PC commands, it really seems like Aspyr took the easy way out and we have ourselves a *fake* Mac version. It's rather disapointing really. Very disapointing. Because even with the "fake" emulation, our  version isn't even as functional as the PC version. To think I shelled out a bunch of money for a new computer essentially to make sure I could play TS2.

And now Aspyr seems to have disappeared from the forum, so is there ever going to be a patch and when? And how effective?

#37 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:20 AM

luws, on July 27th 2005, 10:28 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm  not extremely computer literate, but when I saw that the code is written to basically emulate a PC (as if the game is running in Virtual PC on a Mac) I was skeptical to say the least.

View Post

I highly doubt the code is written anything like you're assuming it is.  There's no Virtual PC-like emulation going on whatsoever.  I bet the Sims 2 code is like any other port.  They took the PC code and compiled it against their Direct3D->Mac OS API translation libraries, adding and tweaking the libraries as they go, then handle things like byte-swapping, I/O, the graphic shaders, etc once things compile, then adding Mac OS specific things.  Then optimizing and bug fixing.  I highly doubt there's a mini Virtual PC-like emulator.  I think you're taking what Glenda said out of context.

Just about all Mac ports use the same keyboard commands as the PC.  So if you look at other ports you'll see a lot of the same PC key commands.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#38 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:04 PM

Two weeks and no patch? What about sim city, that game still has lots of bugs you never fixed.

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#39 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:45 PM

luws, on July 28th 2005, 12:28 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm  not extremely computer literate, but when I saw that the code is written to basically emulate a PC (as if the game is running in Virtual PC on a Mac) I was skeptical to say the least. Then reading the manual etc., and most key commands are PC commands, it really seems like Aspyr took the easy way out and we have ourselves a *fake* Mac version. It's rather disapointing really. Very disapointing. Because even with the "fake" emulation, our  version isn't even as functional as the PC version. To think I shelled out a bunch of money for a new computer essentially to make sure I could play TS2.

Um, what in the world are you talking about...they had several full-time programmers working for months and months to convert this to the Mac.  "Easy way out"?  I reckon that if you took a look at the zillions of lines of code they converted, your head would explode.... ;)

--Eric

#40 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:29 AM

a2daj, on July 28th 2005, 07:20 AM, said:

I think you're taking what Glenda said out of context.

Just about all Mac ports use the same keyboard commands as the PC.  So if you look at other ports you'll see a lot of the same PC key commands.

View Post

umm, well I said I'm not computer literate, particularly when it comes to coding. I just never saw before where examining the inner workings of the game it says it's running on Windows. So I guess I just don't understand, but that's OK. I really just want a patch to fix it.

And I don't play a lot of different games, just the Sims, and in Sims 1, key commands mainly followed Mac sense, command- whatever, not control-whatever. That's all I meant.