42 replies to this topic

#1 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:43 PM

I loaded up my game to play tonight & discovered 2 of my families that I created are gone. Poof. No they're not in the bin.

I have to say I'm upset. Between this and the fact that everything made in BodyShop is one big blur and then the file limits issue, and also the fact that the censor cheat doesn't work, I have surmised that TS2 is one buggy program.
How could the Mac beta testers not notice blurry BodyShop files!!??
Or disappearing Sims!?
Where oh where is the much needed update to fix all these aggrevating issues??! :angry:

#2 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:43 PM

Make that 3.
My original family is gone too, it's the one I initially created & have been playing for close to a month now.
This really stinks, any & all progress I have made with the game is gone.
Anybody have any suggestions on how I can bring my sims back?

#3 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 01:08 AM

alot of the bugs you are having come from when the pc hame was made. Maxis didn't make the game very well.

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#4 Laure

Laure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:16 AM

I lost a lot of families. . The character files are stored in the Neighborhoods folder (user/documents....). Awhile back, I started backing up the that each time I quit, if you have a backup you can replace the characters.

My problem seemed to be caused by the open file limit.  When I went over the limit the game would crash while loading the neighborhood.  After each crash I would find sims missing. After several crashes houses/lots would start to vanish too.

This only stopped once I lowered the number of downloads I have in my game.  I wrote to aspyr support about this and they said that they were working on a patch to raise the file limit.

good luck

Laure

#5 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

It's very possible lost families are due to the file limit, and the patch for that should be ready to go within the next week.  This patch will also fix a cheat or two that were broken.

Glenda

Laure, on July 12th 2005, 10:16 AM, said:

I lost a lot of families. . The character files are stored in the Neighborhoods folder (user/documents....). Awhile back, I started backing up the that each time I quit, if you have a backup you can replace the characters.

My problem seemed to be caused by the open file limit.  When I went over the limit the game would crash while loading the neighborhood.  After each crash I would find sims missing. After several crashes houses/lots would start to vanish too.

This only stopped once I lowered the number of downloads I have in my game.  I wrote to aspyr support about this and they said that they were working on a patch to raise the file limit.

good luck

Laure

View Post

Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:41 PM

YAY!  Butt nekkid Sims!!
:unsure:  oh, er... I said that out loud didn't I?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:26 PM

the Battle Cat, on July 12th 2005, 04:41 PM, said:

YAY!  Butt nekkid Sims!!
:unsure:  oh, er... I said that out loud didn't I?

View Post

No, you didn't. You just think you did... or are you the guy who made "Hot Coffee"?

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#8 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:19 PM

GlendaAdams, on July 12th 2005, 11:02 AM, said:

It's very possible lost families are due to the file limit, and the patch for that should be ready to go within the next week.  This patch will also fix a cheat or two that were broken.

Glenda

View Post

That's great news about the patch. I think I'm going to just put the game aside until then, I am fighting too many issues & it's just not fun anymore.

#9 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:44 PM

Bernie, on July 12th 2005, 02:26 PM, said:

No, you didn't. You just think you did... or are you the guy who made "Hot Coffee"?

View Post

He is indeed.  :)

On another note, I sometimes get no sound when playing TS2.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#10 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:40 AM

That happens to me too. You need to click on the neighborhood button but then click cancel. This seems to be a temp fix.

#11 iluvmymactoo

iluvmymactoo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:10 PM

Aspyr have done a very sloppy job with this game I'm sorry to say.

#12 Crat

Crat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:19 PM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on July 12th 2005, 10:44 PM, said:

He is indeed.  :)
On another note, I sometimes get no sound when playing TS2.

View Post

I seemed to have fixed the sound problem on my machine by going from 1 to 3 gigs of RAM.  

As a fix for just the sound, this would have been way too expensive, but it also speeded up the game <g>.

Eric

#13 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

You can have 3 gigs of ram? I thought you needed a even number.

#14 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:06 PM

simsbaby, on July 13th 2005, 07:51 PM, said:

View Post

3 GB is an even number: 3 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 3,221,225,472 bytes. Or, 3 * 1024 = 3,072 MB, which is probably closer to what you're looking for.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#15 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:20 PM

simsbaby, on July 13th 2005, 06:51 PM, said:

View Post

Its not so much that you NEED an even number as it is that it is not possible (with non-quantum computers) to have an odd amount of memory.  Everything is based on powers of 2, which will always be an even number.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#16 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

To put it another way, I currently have 1.5GB in my G5: 2 256MB modules + 2 512MB modules.  Nothing in the world stopping me from adding another 2 256MB modules and 2 512MB modules if I wanted (which would use up all of my DIMM slots), giving me 3GB.  The important thing is that the memory sticks have to be added in identical pairs, at least in Power Macs.

--Eric

#17 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:28 AM

simsbaby, on July 13th 2005, 12:40 AM, said:

That happens to me too. You need to click on the neighborhood button but then click cancel. This seems to be a temp fix.

View Post

It works now. Also when I get no sound, the movies don't appear on the television. My guy couldn't get to sleep and i didn't know why. :blink:
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#18 Cunctator

Cunctator

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:29 AM

tiskippy, on July 14th 2005, 02:20 AM, said:

Its not so much that you NEED an even number as it is that it is not possible (with non-quantum computers) to have an odd amount of memory.  Everything is based on powers of 2, which will always be an even number.

View Post

Well, if that would be true, how would you access the 1st byte of your RAM? Or the 3rd, 5th, 17th? 2^0 is a power of two but not even...

It's very possible to build a computer with an odd amount of RAM, no problem. Nobody does, but nothing prevents us from doing so, if we wanted to...

To return on topic: I am not considering to buy TS2 until I hear these bugs are fixed.

#19 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:59 AM

Cunctator, on July 15th 2005, 03:29 AM, said:

Well, if that would be true, how would you access the 1st byte of your RAM? Or the 3rd, 5th, 17th? 2^0 is a power of two but not even...

It's very possible to build a computer with an odd amount of RAM, no problem. Nobody does, but nothing prevents us from doing so, if we wanted to...

To return on topic: I am not considering to buy TS2 until I hear these bugs are fixed.

View Post

It looks like a vast majority of Sims 2 problems people have are from installing too many add-in objects, and blowing up OS X's file limit.  We have a patch in QA to increase the limit about 5 times (to 10K-12K files), until then I'd recommend playing with a more vanilla install (not so many add-ons), as we are getting very few bug reports at all with those configs.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#20 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:20 AM

GlendaAdams, on July 15th 2005, 07:59 AM, said:

It looks like a vast majority of Sims 2 problems people have are from installing too many add-in objects, and blowing up OS X's file limit.  We have a patch in QA to increase the limit about 5 times (to 10K-12K files), until then I'd recommend playing with a more vanilla install (not so many add-ons), as we are getting very few bug reports at all with those configs.

Glenda

View Post

Is there a certain number Aspyr recommends that should not be exceeded?