#41 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:51 PM

simsbaby, on June 24th 2005, 09:14 AM, said:

yes but if i make a sim and then save it then it goes wonky.

View Post

i am not the only one with this bug look Here

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#42 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

simsbaby, on June 24th 2005, 01:51 PM, said:

i am not the only one with this bug look Here

View Post

Hmm, the only other person who seems to be posting about this in that thread is you as well.

We're watching our support emails to see if anyone else reports this, and so far it appears to be unique.  Our Support and QA department are looking into it further.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#43 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

GlendaAdams, on June 24th 2005, 02:05 PM, said:

Hmm, the only other person who seems to be posting about this in that thread is you as well.

We're watching our support emails to see if anyone else reports this, and so far it appears to be unique.  Our Support and QA department are looking into it further.

Glenda

View Post

No GenHecter is having bugs too

GenHecter, on June 22nd, 2005, 03:13 PM, said:

I been having this problem aswell. I take add one file over the 'limit' and it stop working, as and looks like the body shop piciture above. Evan when I put back files that worked before if I reach the limet, or add a oject body shop will stop working. While i have more then some have reporeted installed(1290 total) I feel that I have only started adding to the game. I have not evan started puting in makup for my sims, let alone objects.

Edit:Is there a way to trick it, like the Orininal sims with somthing like far maker?

#44 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:55 PM

another person is having the samebug on that page also

#45 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

Were working on this bug to further reproduce it- so far we have found that OS X itself has a open file limit that can't be changed.  We're trying to see if there is a way around it, or a way to prevent Sims 2 from keeping that many files open at once.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#46 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:17 PM

Good & Bad to hear this but Maybe you can try something like a multi .package file

#47 davebaum

davebaum

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

simsbaby, on June 28th 2005, 07:17 PM, said:

Good & Bad to hear this but Maybe you can try something like a multi .package file

View Post

multi .package file is a good idea.  I took a stab at writing an app that will do this.  It is still a bit rough to use, but I want to know if it fixes the problem before I spend time cleaning it up.  Give it a try and let me know if it helps.

http://www.baumfamil...repackager.html

Dave

#48 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:45 AM

GlendaAdams, on June 29th 2005, 06:35 AM, said:

Were working on this bug to further reproduce it- so far we have found that OS X itself has a open file limit that can't be changed.  We're trying to see if there is a way around it, or a way to prevent Sims 2 from keeping that many files open at once.

Glenda

View Post

The system-wide file limit should be changeable using "sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=N" where N is the desired maximum number of files. You'd probably have to change the max files per process as well. See the man pages for setrlimit(2), sysctl(3) and sysctl(8).

#49 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:34 AM

davebaum, on July 4th 2005, 11:13 PM, said:

multi .package file is a good idea.  I took a stab at writing an app that will do this.  It is still a bit rough to use, but I want to know if it fixes the problem before I spend time cleaning it up.  Give it a try and let me know if it helps.

Dave

View Post

Thanks for trying Body Shop and The Sims 2 will not work with clothing and such so far. Objects don't work eather. I really hope that you keep trying to get this working! Also see if you can get Aspyr to help you with this if you want/need to.

#50 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:41 AM

Tesseract, on July 5th 2005, 12:45 AM, said:

The system-wide file limit should be changeable using "sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=N" where N is the desired maximum number of files. You'd probably have to change the max files per process as well. See the man pages for setrlimit(2), sysctl(3) and sysctl(8).

View Post

Can this be done by a noob?? :unsure: I am new to this stuff but will try anything to have my downloads. :D

#51 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:27 AM

Upon further investigation, it appears that the sysctl limits are probably not the problem, but rather the setrlimit()/ulimit ones. On my system, ulimit -n returns 256, i.e. new processes are limited to having 256 files open at once. On the other hand kern.maxfilesperproc = 10240 and kern.maxfiles = 12288.

You could try something like this:

* Open Terminal and type "ulimit -n 1024" (without the quotes) then press return.
* Type "/path/to/Sims2.app/Contents/MacOS/Sims2" and press return. "/path/to/Sims2.app" should be replaced with the actual path to your Sims 2 application, similarly the file in Contents/MacOS/ is probably named something else (I don't own the game so I don't know exactly what the app is called.)

That should hopefully open Sims 2 with a limit of 1024 open files. On the other hand, the game may get confused by not being launched in the usual fashion.

An alternative way of raising the default limit for all programs would be to add a line saying "ulimit -n 1024" to the start of /etc/rc.common. You'd have to restart for it to take effect.

The correct fix, though, is probably to patch the game to contain an appropriate call to setrlimit() in its startup code.

#52 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:35 AM

You are correct, setrlimit is the problem.  Sims 2 normally sets this to 2K, but obviously that isn't enough when you add 1000 add-in files :)  We may release a short term fix that just goes to 10K, although I'd like to find a better long term solution- even at 10K you'll hit problems if you install 8  or 9 thousand add-ins (and someone will try!)

Glenda

Tesseract, on July 5th 2005, 04:27 AM, said:

Upon further investigation, it appears that the sysctl limits are probably not the problem, but rather the setrlimit()/ulimit ones. On my system, ulimit -n returns 256, i.e. new processes are limited to having 256 files open at once. On the other hand kern.maxfilesperproc = 10240 and kern.maxfiles = 12288.

You could try something like this:

* Open Terminal and type "ulimit -n 1024" (without the quotes) then press return.
* Type "/path/to/Sims2.app/Contents/MacOS/Sims2" and press return. "/path/to/Sims2.app" should be replaced with the actual path to your Sims 2 application, similarly the file in Contents/MacOS/ is probably named something else (I don't own the game so I don't know exactly what the app is called.)

That should hopefully open Sims 2 with a limit of 1024 open files. On the other hand, the game may get confused by not being launched in the usual fashion.

An alternative way of raising the default limit for all programs would be to add a line saying "ulimit -n 1024" to the start of /etc/rc.common. You'd have to restart for it to take effect.

The correct fix, though, is probably to patch the game to contain an appropriate call to setrlimit() in its startup code.

View Post

Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#53 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

It's coming back to me now... in the original Sims 1, there were file limits, and there was a workaround that fixed it in Terminal, the ulimits code as suggested by Tesseract. I don't remember doing anything with paths to the game though. I'll have to dig in my old notes tonight and see if I can find exactly how it was accomplished. Of course, an Aspyr patch would be much better.

#54 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

How high can  you go with the file limit?

#55 davebaum

davebaum

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

simsbaby, on July 5th 2005, 03:34 AM, said:

Thanks for trying Body Shop and The Sims 2 will not work with clothing and such so far. Objects don't work eather. I really hope that you keep trying to get this working! Also see if you can get Aspyr to help you with this if you want/need to.

View Post

I made a few changes.  This one should work a little better (although without official information about file formats I can never tell for certain).

Dave

#56 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

davebaum, on July 5th 2005, 04:30 PM, said:

I made a few changes.  This one should work a little better (although without official information about file formats I can never tell for certain).

Dave

View Post

You are my god this one works great! I tryed Body Shop and the game with clothing from ATS and it worked fine! This is very good not only can I not have to deal with the file limit anymore but now stuff it easier to find!

it is skiping
*** Skipping ATS_FTN_pants_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_FPN_dress_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_FTN_top_001.package*** Skipping ATS_MAN_pants_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_MAN_top_001.package*** Skipping ATS_MCN_outfit_001.package*** Skipping ATS_MEN_outfit_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_MPN_casual_001.package*** Skipping ATS_MTN_shorts_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_MTN_top_001.package
this is all clothing downloaded from Around The Sims 2

Edited by simsbaby, 05 July 2005 - 06:37 PM.

#57 davebaum

davebaum

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

simsbaby, on July 5th 2005, 07:07 PM, said:

You are my god this one works great! I tryed Body Shop and the game with clothing from ATS and it worked fine! This is very good not only can I not have to deal with the file limit anymore but now stuff it easier to find!
it is skiping
*** Skipping ATS_FTN_pants_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_FPN_dress_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_FTN_top_001.package*** Skipping ATS_MAN_pants_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_MAN_top_001.package*** Skipping ATS_MCN_outfit_001.package*** Skipping ATS_MEN_outfit_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_MPN_casual_001.package*** Skipping ATS_MTN_shorts_001.package
*** Skipping ATS_MTN_top_001.package
this is all clothing downloaded from Around The Sims 2

View Post

Do those files normally work in Body Shop?  If so, can you email me one of the skipped files (dfb@baumfamily.org)?  I'll try to make Repackager work with them.

Dave

#58 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:29 PM

i pm'ed you dave

#59 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:53 PM

objects don't work like this.

#60 davebaum

davebaum

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:38 AM

I think I fixed the problem with the ATS clothing.  I tried a few samples and they are no longer skipped and appear in Body Shop.  The updated app is at the usual place:

If you're having trouble with objects, then I'm not sure what is going wrong.  I tried a few objects and they seem to work fine, so perhaps it is something specific about one or more of your objects (rather than objects in general).  Can you send me some URLs to download objects that aren't working for you?

Dave