• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:21 AM

View PostBrad Oliver, on January 23rd 2006, 03:49 PM, said:

It looks like 10.4.4 fixes the performance regression that started with 10.3.7. For those of you having trouble running the outdoor Dantooine levels on your Radeon 8500/9000/9200s, try 10.4.4 with the last KOTOR patch (1.03c) and let us know if it helps.

I tried the Dantooine level under 10.4.4. and the problems stay the same. As soon as I enter the Matale area the game's becoming unplayable and the frame rate drops to something like 1 or 2 per minute. :(

BTW: Brad, how's the universal binary of KOTOR coming along? I'm drooling over a new MacBook Pro and I would love to play KOTOR in its full glory with all the highest settings at 50 FPS. :P
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#22 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

I know KOTOR is fun, but after the fourth time, isn't it time to move on? ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#23 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:30 AM

View PostJan, on January 23rd 2006, 09:21 AM, said:

I tried the Dantooine level under 10.4.4. and the problems stay the same. As soon as I enter the Matale area the game's becoming unplayable and the frame rate drops to something like 1 or 2 per minute. :(

Is this with your PowerBook and the Radeon 9700 mobility? If so, what settings are you using in KOTOR? That hardware should not have the "uncontrollable player" problem, at least at the lowest settings.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#24 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on January 23rd 2006, 06:30 PM, said:

Is this with your PowerBook and the Radeon 9700 mobility? If so, what settings are you using in KOTOR? That hardware should not have the "uncontrollable player" problem, at least at the lowest settings.

Yes, it's on my PowerBook. Granted, I'm runnig the game at high settings (1.024 x 768, no shadows and grass, detail level high, 8 x FSAA, 8 x Anisotropic filtering).

But I turned the settings down to 2 x Sample AA and 2 x Ani and it's still the same. Should I turn of FSAA an Ani at all and just play the game in 640 x 480, would that work?

macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#25 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:58 PM

View PostJan, on January 23rd 2006, 11:23 AM, said:

But I turned the settings down to 2 x Sample AA and 2 x Ani and it's still the same. Should I turn of FSAA an Ani at all and just play the game in 640 x 480, would that work?

I'd turn off FSAA and anisotropic filtering first and see what happens. I believe it should be playable at 1024 x whatever with those off on the Dantooine levels. My wife has a similar PowerBook to yours (with less RAM) and it seems to run at a pretty good clip, but I don't typically turn on FSAA since it's a VRAM hog.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#26 jeffstra

jeffstra

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:51 PM

I played it using the Radeon 8500 in my G4, OS10.4.4 and with the latest patch from Aspyr and it froze terribly in the same area. I even missed the challenge where the guy is shot and your supposed to figure out who did it. I turned to talk to one of the suspects and couldn't stop. The picture froze and when it freed up again I was heading for the bridge to cross to the next section. Nothing I did would stop him. I ended up against the hill clear across the open area. When I went back to resume they were gone. I limped through the area and finished Dantoine. Now I have my new Intel iMac and can't wait to try the game again after the Universal binary is released by Aspyr.

#27 avatar

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:23 PM

So, uhm 10.4.5 and 1.03c on a 1.25GHz PB (R9600M) and the 'fix' causes the game to crash after loading a save. Without the fix, the game is completely uncontrollable. Anyone have any other suggestions?
leeloodallasmultipass
photoblog: airfuel.org

#28 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

@Brad
Any news on the KOTOR universal binary? My new MacBook's desperate to display the game in its full glory. :D

macOS Sierra

#29 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

View PostJan, on March 25th 2006, 09:30 AM, said:

@Brad
Any news on the KOTOR universal binary?

KOTOR uses a third-party sound library, so we're waiting on an Intel version of that. We're also working on a solution to eliminate this reliance (which will help us for other game ports) so it's a matter of which will happen first.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#30 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:19 AM

View PostBrad Oliver, on March 28th 2006, 06:27 AM, said:

KOTOR uses a third-party sound library, so we're waiting on an Intel version of that. We're also working on a solution to eliminate this reliance (which will help us for other game ports) so it's a matter of which will happen first.

Thanks, Brad. My biggest concern was Aspyr dropped the UB development of KOTOR, because you guys remained a bit quiet on that topic, at least in the last couple of weeks. Glad to hear it's still coming. Keep up the good work, we RPG addicts count on you. :)

macOS Sierra

#31 crispyking

crispyking

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

View PostBrad Oliver, on March 27th 2006, 08:27 PM, said:

Does that mean that Aspyr is having issues with the RAD Miles library?   I'm waiting for both KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights UB's and they both seem to be held up by the Miles library.    Somewhere on the BioWare boards, someone said they had word that RAD was porting it to OSX/Intel, but RAD's pages implies they are still working on XBox360 ports, so I'm worried that it may take quite a while for the port.

Do you have any info on when the Miles library will be available as a UB?

#32 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:19 AM

If Brad knows anything about a Miles release date, he probably doesn't want to say anything more unless he feels like incurring the wrath of RAD Tools ;)
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#33 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

View Posta2daj, on April 2nd 2006, 02:19 AM, said:

If Brad knows anything about a Miles release date, he probably doesn't want to say anything more unless he feels like incurring the wrath of RAD Tools ;)

Me?!? You won't ever catch me saying anything bad about RAD Tools!

...at least in public. ;)
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#34 Charlie.naylor

Charlie.naylor

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:03 AM

I am getting a problem when i try to do the races, it loads the game up then crashes. it did it on my G5 and my intel imac. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

#35 steiner designer

steiner designer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:21 AM

View PostCharlie.naylor, on April 18th 2006, 07:03 AM, said:

I am getting a problem when i try to do the races, it loads the game up then crashes. it did it on my G5 and my intel imac. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I'm not sure if this will help your problem or, not, but have you applied the latest patch?:

http://www.macgamefi....php?item=18336

I'm running KOTOR on a G5 (under 10.4.6), and it's pretty much flawless (I get a slight slowdown in the Matale area, but it's still very playable). I did the swoop races on Taris with no problems.
PRIMARY MAC :: 2.5 GHz Quad G5 :: 4 GB RAM :: NVidia 7800 GT

SECONDARY MAC :: 1.25 GHz Dual G4 :: 2 GB RAM :: ATI Radeon 9000

CURRENTLY PLAYING :: Lego Star Wars :: Myst V EOA

CURRENTLY RE-PLAYING :: KOTOR

NEXT PURCHASE :: An Intel Mac?

#36 Jyotsana

Jyotsana

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:52 AM

View Postosprey54, on October 25th 2005, 12:50 AM, said:

there is a better fix for just the dantooine problem which requires you to have the OpenGL profiler from the developers tools. Create a new profile for Kotor and use a generic radeon driver. then load it and it should work.

I am a novice at using the developer tools. I have the opengl profiler but could you give me more specific instructions on how to use it fix kotor?

#37 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

Any news on a UB, Brad? Come on, are the RAD guys still not done with the UB sound library? The same goes for First To Fight as well...no news in months..

And Macgaming is slowly dwindling away....

v/r, E.

#38 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:44 PM

Based on what I've read, PC Civ IV used Miles.  Mac Civ IV uses OpenAL.  There have been some issues with Civ IV which are OpenAL related.  The Mac KotOR UB patch is probably waiting for a more solid solution, either from their new OpenAL library or the UB version of Miles.  I don't think Brad's had much time to look at KotOR since Civ IV activity has been fairly high.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#39 Prometheus

Prometheus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on January 23rd 2006, 11:53 AM, said:

I know KOTOR is fun, but after the fourth time, isn't it time to move on? ;)
NO!
NEVER...
its replayablitity is amazing...light side/darkside is fun to mess with constantly.
I <3 RJ

#40 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

but its also incredibly simple... Id rather it if many many more things were dark/light side choices...
And every time you use force powers to your advantage (unless to defeat evil), you get a little bit of dark side... it could be a lot lot lot more subtle than it is.
you could kill everything you see, and still be light side if you give people money etc. etc.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor