29 replies to this topic

#1 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:50 PM

I made this thread seperate so as to not hijak the intended topic of the previous one. Sims2 is not playable you load a neighbrohood and slowly and surely your entire screen gets covered in grey so tht you cant see anything. OSX 10.4 ...ATI X800XT. I tried the hotfix, tried reinstalling, tried reverting the card back to retail, tried putting it on a new user and no luck. HELP ME

#2 jack_the_dog

jack_the_dog

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:13 PM

MacADDICT, on June 14th 2005, 02:50 PM, said:

I made this thread seperate so as to not hijak the intended topic of the previous one. Sims2 is not playable you load a neighbrohood and slowly and surely your entire screen gets covered in grey so tht you cant see anything. OSX 10.4 ...ATI X800XT. I tried the hotfix, tried reinstalling, tried reverting the card back to retail, tried putting it on a new user and no luck. HELP ME

View Post

I have an X800XT too and I only get the glitches in windowed mode.  Do you get them in full screen too?

#3 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:19 PM

yes which pisses me off even more.

#4 jack_the_dog

jack_the_dog

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:29 PM

I've been messing with this game for a little bit and it seems that some resolutions work and some give a screen full of glitches.  I have a 20" cinema display and a Radeon X800XT.  The only full screen resolutions that work for me are 1680x1050, 1344x1008, 1280x1024, and 1600x1000.  Anything else is unplayable.  Also, 1440x900 and 1280x1024 are the only ones that are working in windowed mode.  If your monitor supports any of these resolutions, you should try it out.

#5 danny_gasperini

danny_gasperini

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

MacADDICT, on June 14th 2005, 02:50 PM, said:

I made this thread seperate so as to not hijak the intended topic of the previous one. Sims2 is not playable you load a neighbrohood and slowly and surely your entire screen gets covered in grey so tht you cant see anything.

View Post

http://www.gamespot....s2/readers.html

This URL includes multiple user reports of Sims 2 on the PC. Many users are reporting graphic anomalies and poor performance (even given the high average rating by users). If these issues exist on the PC version, its entirley possible that they will exist in the Mac port.

#6 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

hmm the onyl one that seemed to work so far is the highest. 1k x 1k somethin like that

#7 elderbre

elderbre

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

MacADDICT, on June 15th 2005, 12:38 AM, said:

hmm the onyl one that seemed to work so far is the highest. 1k x 1k somethin like that

View Post

Working well on G2 1.8x2 2.5GBRAM 1280x1024 Windowed on a 6800 Ultra 256MB

#8 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

elderbre, on June 14th 2005, 10:09 PM, said:

Working well on G2 1.8x2 2.5GBRAM ... 6800 Ultra 256MB

I should sure hope so.  ;)

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#9 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:48 PM

DaveyJJ, on June 15th 2005, 12:37 PM, said:

I should sure hope so.  ;)

View Post

I dunno... I heard them G2s are pretty slow...

:P
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#10 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:55 PM

We're talking with ATI to see if we can figure out more on this problem, I'll keep people updated.  I think they have another hotfix patch for the video drivers they are about to release that may clean up the problems with Sims2.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#11 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:20 PM

The hotfix (the ROM is not the hotfix) is now available.

http://www2.ati.com/...d_me_first.html

http://www2.ati.com/...tfix_june05.dmg

There's no direct mention of any Sims 2 fixes but AYM had some comments from Chris Bentley of ATI which are Sims related.

"Hi Mike,
There are four 3D bugs fixed in the hot-fix:

1) multipaned z corruption in Pro apps (Motion, Maya, Modo, Lightwave, etc...) The fix for this had no performance impact

2) occasional checkerboard textures in X2: Threat The fix for this had no performance impact

3) wrong values returned from GetBeamPosition() The fix for this had no performance impact

4) blocky z corruption in Sims 2: Rush Hour The fix for this ended up causing a slow down in DOOM 3. (Mostly at high res.) We had to prioritize running correctly over performance. We'll work on regaining the DOOM 3 perf in an upcoming driver.
People who are just running DOOM 3 and haven't been effected by the other bugs, can stick with their current drivers and keep the slightly higher DOOM 3 perf.
-Chris "

I'm not sure if "Sims 2: Rush Hour" refers to Sims 2 or Sim City 4 Rush Hour.  Worth a try.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#12 jack_the_dog

jack_the_dog

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

The new hotfix seems to have fixed my glitches in Sims 2 and Rush Hour.  It's pretty sad though that Doom 3 runs much, much better than The Sims 2 on my machine.

#13 IceBB

IceBB

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:33 PM

Sims 2 runs great on my computer (G5/1.6Ghz, 9600, 1.25GB RAM) however I have only 1 issue to report which has happened before on other games.  I run dual monitors, and 99% of the games blank out the second monitor and basically turn it off as if it wasn't there.  This is fine, but in Sims 2 my cursor is allowed to float over to the second blanked monitor.  This wouldn't be a big deal, but to move around the game screen, the pointer has to hit the edge of the monitor.  So when moving to the left (where my 2nd monitor is), I have to find the perfect spot to place the mouse pointer to get the screen to move.  Besides that, great job!

#14 yeniu

yeniu

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:49 PM

Sims 2 is unplayable on my machine too, but for completely different reasons.

When I go into the neighborhood, the menu section on the bottom left shows briefly, then disappears.  It will show if I pull the mouse to the edge of the screen, letting the neighborhood pan in that direction, until I get to the edge of the neighborhood.  When it stops moving the menu disappears again.  If I try to move the mouse up to select an option, the menu disappears again.

If I go to the tutorial mode, the tutorial box disappears and reappears with the menu box.

A much smaller issue ... in the neighborhood mode, there are little cars that drive along the roads.  When they are driving left-right they look fine.  When they are driving up-down, they turn into white boxes.

I don't think the ATI hotfix will help, I have a different video card.  I'm about to go look up nVIDIA and see if they have anything there.

I have an iMac, PowerMac4,5, PowerPC G4  (2.1), CPU = 800 MHz, Memory = 1 GB
nVIDIA (0x10de) GeForce4 MX, 32 MB VRAM

#15 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:57 PM

yeniu, on June 18th 2005, 05:49 PM, said:

Sims 2 is unplayable on my machine too, but for completely different reasons.

When I go into the neighborhood, the menu section on the bottom left shows briefly, then disappears.  It will show if I pull the mouse to the edge of the screen, letting the neighborhood pan in that direction, until I get to the edge of the neighborhood.  When it stops moving the menu disappears again.  If I try to move the mouse up to select an option, the menu disappears again.

If I go to the tutorial mode, the tutorial box disappears and reappears with the menu box.

A much smaller issue ... in the neighborhood mode, there are little cars that drive along the roads.  When they are driving left-right they look fine.  When they are driving up-down, they turn into white boxes.

I don't think the ATI hotfix will help, I have a different video card.  I'm about to go look up nVIDIA and see if they have anything there.

I have an iMac, PowerMac4,5, PowerPC G4  (2.1), CPU = 800 MHz, Memory = 1 GB
nVIDIA (0x10de) GeForce4 MX, 32 MB VRAM

View Post

I'd expect to see problems on your machine since you are under the minimum requirements for the game.  It requires a 1.2GHz G4 and a Radeon 9000 / NVidia GeForce FX 5200 or better.  BTW, you won't have much luck on NVidia's site since the only drivers from them are released as a part of OS X via Apple.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#16 iluvmymactoo

iluvmymactoo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

tiskippy, on June 19th 2005, 10:57 AM, said:

I'd expect to see problems on your machine since you are under the minimum requirements for the game.  It requires a 1.2GHz G4 and a Radeon 9000 / NVidia GeForce FX 5200 or better.  BTW, you won't have much luck on NVidia's site since the only drivers from them are released as a part of OS X via Apple.

View Post

I have a bit more than the minimum requirements for this game, but it is simply not playable  :angry: Even with settings turned down the fps is pretty bad.

The game will play ok in a small house with maybe 2 Sims but anymore than that forget it.

I'm very disappointed. I waited a year for this only to find out I can't play it.

#17 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:21 AM

iluvmymactoo, on June 20th 2005, 05:55 PM, said:

I have a bit more than the minimum requirements for this game, but it is simply not playable  :angry: Even with settings turned down the fps is pretty bad.

The game will play ok in a small house with maybe 2 Sims but anymore than that forget it.

I'm very disappointed. I waited a year for this only to find out I can't play it.

View Post

The game should be quite playable on that Powerbook, its the same machine I run at home.  Have you turned the graphics settings down to 'low'?  There is virtually no visible difference between low and medium, and quite a speed difference.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#18 iluvmymactoo

iluvmymactoo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

GlendaAdams, on June 22nd 2005, 12:21 AM, said:

The game should be quite playable on that Powerbook, its the same machine I run at home.  Have you turned the graphics settings down to 'low'?  There is virtually no visible difference between low and medium, and quite a speed difference.

Glenda

View Post

Yes but do you have a 15" PowerBook, I have turned down graphics settings and it's not running great as I mentioned.

#19 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

So... Glenda,

Is there going to be future support for the Geforce 4 MX in the Sims 2?

Mandrake628

#20 Mandrake628

Mandrake628

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:12 PM

Also,

Why is there a SN on the back?  I never had to input it when I started up the game.

Mandrake628