Intel and Apple to dethrone Microsoft...

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:31 PM

I found an intresting article on PBS.org

http://www.pbs.org/c...it20050609.html

The author makes a good case, could Intel purchase Apple?
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:48 PM

Maestro, on June 12th 2005, 06:31 PM, said:

The author makes a good case

Robert X. Cringely. Every guy who ever wrote under that name has been a crank. Dvorak is just the one with the fastest keyboard.

#3 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:05 AM

If Intel wanted to take down Microsoft, then they would stop Apple from letting them run Windows on these new Macs - otherwise it's just more of the same for them.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#4 RandyWang

RandyWang

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:31 AM

These two will not bring down Microsoft, not within the next five or ten years. The moment that Linux, BSD or Unix becomes as easy or easier to use than either Mac OS X or Windows (and Ubuntu is an excellent start), as well as providing near-perfect compatibility with Windows, they'll be the ones to dethrone Microsoft.

They're free, they run on identical hardware, they come with thousands of free programs that can be installed at any time, and they're updated as often - sometimes as often as a major release every six months (a la Ubuntu).

That, and Cringley is a prat.
Why are you looking at my Macintosh?

#5 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

I'd take anything on public broadcasting with a grain of salt.

#6 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:36 AM

BenRoethig, on June 13th 2005, 11:27 AM, said:

View Post

Oddly enough, I say the same about network and cable news.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#7 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:01 PM

clocknova, on June 13th 2005, 12:36 PM, said:

Oddly enough, I say the same about network and cable news.

View Post

Yeah, same here.

PBS is more reliable than some cable news show that has to worry about keeping their ratings up.....
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#8 Beardedfish

Beardedfish

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:43 PM

My favorite part of the article is at the end when Cringely says that Jobs will become the new CEO of Pixar/Disney/Sony media.

#9 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:51 PM

Beardedfish, on June 13th 2005, 02:43 PM, said:

My favorite part of the article is at the end when Cringely says that Jobs will become the new CEO of Pixar/Disney/Sony media.

View Post

Uh, Steve Jobs already IS the CEO of Pixar.....

http://www.pixar.com...boutus/mte.html
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#10 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:58 PM

The iMac Man, on June 13th 2005, 12:51 PM, said:

Uh, Steve Jobs already IS the CEO of Pixar.....

So you're saying Disney/Sony/Intel OmniMedia can't be far behind, then?

#11 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:15 PM

bobbob, on June 13th 2005, 03:58 PM, said:

So you're saying Disney/Sony/Intel OmniMedia can't be far behind, then?

View Post

Huh?   :huh:
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#12 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

The iMac Man, on June 13th 2005, 02:15 PM, said:

Huh?   :huh:

X thought that Steve might become CEO of a Disney/Sony/Pixar mega merger, and you said he's already CEO of Pixar, so I asked if that meant you think he's on the fast track for world domination.

#13 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:53 PM

I'm so confused.... maybe I need to actually read that article....

So, the question is not about Steve, but moreso about those companies merging.

Well, if Pixar's name comes first, I would say Pixar bought everyone else, and therefore, yes, Steve would be the CEO.

And, Steve is indeed on the fast track for world domination.  It's okay, I think we'd all look good in those slick black shirts.  :D
-iMac

Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

#14 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

BenRoethig, on June 13th 2005, 04:27 PM, said:

View Post

I just thought it was an interesting article. I'm sure he is just guessing, but the reaction from that article is about the same when news people were talking about Apple/Intel merger (way before the WSJ talked about it).
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#15 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:08 AM

Maestro, on June 14th 2005, 09:12 AM, said:

I just thought it was an interesting article. I'm sure he is just guessing, but the reaction from that article is about the same when news people were talking about Apple/Intel merger (way before the WSJ talked about it).

View Post

If by that you mean people tend to over-react a little I agree with you.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

#16 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:51 AM

RandyWang, on June 13th 2005, 04:31 AM, said:

They're free, they run on identical hardware, they come with thousands of free text editors and bits of wierd crypto that can be installed at any time, and they're updated as often - sometimes as often as a major release every six months (a la Ubuntu).

View Post

Corrected  :P

#17 Belcarius

Belcarius

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:13 AM

Dr. Geebs, on June 14th 2005, 07:51 PM, said:

Corrected  :P

View Post

That would indicate that you may not know what their purpose is...

Linux and Unix have about as much chance as Apple of dethroning Microsoft. Anyone care to guess what that chance is? (If you do work it out, then please don't take it the wrong way, I just think that Windows is too solidly entrenched to be knocked out, as good as the other systems are)

#18 RandyWang

RandyWang

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:45 AM

Dr. Geebs, on June 14th 2005, 08:51 PM, said:

Corrected  :P

View Post

On the plus side, that at least implies that you've used Linux at some point in the last five years :P
Why are you looking at my Macintosh?

#19 depill

depill

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:21 AM

Belcarius, on June 14th 2005, 10:13 AM, said:

That would indicate that you may not know what their purpose is...

Linux and Unix have about as much chance as Apple of dethroning Microsoft. Anyone care to guess what that chance is? (If you do work it out, then please don't take it the wrong way, I just think that Windows is too solidly entrenched to be knocked out, as good as the other systems are)

View Post

I don't think that Linux variants or Unix variants have as an much possibilty to take down Microsoft. Altought I do not believe that Apple will do that. And when you are talking about dethroning Microsoft we are only talking about the Windows O/S. Microsoft makes some fine products.

The pro and the con with Linux is it open nature. There are so many variants. I mean do we really expect to see on our software cases, work's for Linux 2.6.7 Kernel of Red Hat 9 WS, SuSE 10 and Ubuntu. If Linux is really to take some market share then we need to have one Linux variant on top. Like only Red Hat, the Linux O/S differ so much at some times that a program that you can run on Red Hat ( talking about closed-source binary programs ) don't run on Ubunutu.

Also upgrades have to be done somewhat manually, altought we have some fine upgrade tool's, my favourite was Red Carpet by Ximian which is now a part of SuSE.

Microsoft has only Windows O/S an now variant's from other companys. So developers can code on Windows machine's test it on Windows machine and know that it will work on every other Windows O/S. ( Well at least NT capable Windows machine's :=) ). The same goes for Mac OS X it is developed and controlled by Apple, altough we have Darwin which is open source, Apple still control's everything that goes in to the O/S and nobody else is offering an OS X variants which is a good thing, since developers don't have to download a billion variant's of the O/S and check if the O/S works.

Linux is an fine server O/S, but I think we still have long way to go before we will be seeing it as an real option for desktop computing. First of all we of course need an Offical M$ Office product for the O/S, and we need alot more marketing. Most people won't go online, download a Linux Operating System, install it on their PC, configure it to install a boot-loader and more.

We really don't need a real Windows compality, we really need a really dominat Linux O/S variant, which will rule them all. Not to have alot of them.

#20 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:35 AM

The article is a good one, I like Robert Cringely and he's not the idiot some people want to think he is. I've written to him several times about some of his articles, not to flame but just to point out an idea or two that I thought of his comments. He's always written back. He is quite intelligent, and he was I think at some point a friend of Steve's.

About an intel merger, it isn't too far-fetched. We have no way of knowing the details of the intel contract, but it is very likely that intel made Apple an extraordinarily generous, low-ball offer on processors. Friday before the WWDC an interview with an intel rep I read somewhere stated that intel had always wanted to get their processors into Apple's systems, and that they were a developer that intel "coveted," their words. Remember all of the supply-side problems Apple had in the past? I would think something is really wrong if Apple has intel processors shipping and they still have 6-8+ week waits on new hardware. Expect the scarcity of new and wanted Macs to end. We should see what kind of saturation Apple can sustain if the sales really do grow--assuming of course they do grow much. And if they do, a preferential treatment could easily develop should Apple showcase intel's better CPUs.