Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Thain Esh Kelch, on June 15th 2005, 07:05 AM, said:

Uhmmm... And if I got this right, everybody knows something about it in here? O_o

No thain, some like to THINK they know, when in fact they do not.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#42 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

A slight shift in topic here, but if I ever get the chance to play Marathon IV I'll need to know one thing... What is the basic plot line in the first three? I know there is supposed to be an eratic AI and aliens invade, but that is about it.
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#43 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:08 AM

360 degrees = one revolution.  New Nintendo console = the revolution.  Then there is the PS3.  Switch 360 to 063, pull up part of the O until it becomes a P, pull off the lower left of the 6 until it becomes and S, and you see, they are very much the same console.  Apple realizes that the console market is stagnant but also the wave of the future.  As other consoles move to PowerPC chips, intel was afraid of getting squeezed out, and so the unholy alliance was formed but not with the main focus being  computers – they want to corner the console market which is what the shrinking footprint of Apple's computers has been preparing for.  Bungie, recognizing innovation, desperately want a stab at the Pippin, or the Super Revolution Pippin Genesis as it is known in Japan, and are looking for a way to jump ship.

#44 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

That will be the last post I'll allow in this topic about that other subject. There are a few massive threads all about the whole "hubbub"... so take it there. This thread is about -> MARATHON IV <-. Got it? Good.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#45 codey

codey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

Thain Esh Kelch, on June 15th 2005, 12:16 AM, said:

7) Monkey boy as end-level boss. O_o

View Post

Hull, I'd pay top dollar to frag that sweaty chunk of pork over and over :devil:

cheers

#46 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:07 PM

petey700, on June 16th 2005, 02:05 AM, said:

A slight shift in topic here, but if I ever get the chance to play Marathon IV I'll need to know one thing... What is the basic plot line in the first three? I know there is supposed to be an eratic AI and aliens invade, but that is about it.

View Post

There is some text from the manual here which sets the scene for the first game. Other than that, you could just play them now that they're released as freeware (Aleph One/M1A1 required for OS X native operation.)

Finally, there's more information than you could ever want and enough rampant speculation about weird coincidences to make your head explode at the Marathon's Story Page.

#47 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

teflon, on June 15th 2005, 12:19 AM, said:

1. Bungie are working on Marathon4
2. they want it too be mac only

I also hear that it will be turn-based.

#48 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:34 PM

also the first game to include a fifth dimension. Though it is arguable that the original marathon engine managed this first, with the ability to have more than one room overlapping into eachother, for some truly tripped out level design. No game engine has managed this since, and I think that as a crazy and probably pointless feauture it should make its return :)

marathon story page is the place for everything, no matter how remote, related to marathon, and a generally fabulous page.

Whats sad is that Bungie is now a very different company. half the oldies have left. Tuncer, Seropian, etc. etc. So the chances of Marathon 4 having as intricate a story as the original trilogy, delivered in a similar manner, with as many little slip ups which can then be blown out of proportion (sorry battle cat, im sure they were all intentional really) on the story page, let alone actually being made are very slim.

Heres an interesting point tho (not entirely related) but Marathon 1&2 were in house, infinity (3) was done by others, Myth 1&2 were bungie, 3 was by a different unrelated company altogether. Does that mean that now that Halo1&2 are technically finished, 3 will be outsourced? or will 3 actually be 2.5 and 4 be outsourced to another dev by microsoft. But my actual point is that no series has ever gone past a trilogy, and even then hasnt survived as a pure bungie title, so what are the chances of marathon 4 being made? and by Bungie? and for mac? 0.000000000000000000007 (bit of counting for you)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#49 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:54 PM

petey700, on June 15th 2005, 08:05 AM, said:

View Post

No, that's it, you got it.  The Marathon Trilogy in a nutshell.  

Of course you can split that out into mind crushing detail that will take you years of solid study, discussion and reading to flesh out.  But first, play the games... live in the moment, become the 10th cyborg.  The galaxy and the fate of vast civilizations: past, present, and future is depending on you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#50 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

teflon, on June 15th 2005, 12:34 PM, said:

Whats sad is that Bungie is now a very different company. half the oldies have left. Tuncer, Seropian, etc. etc.

Yeah, and the guy that the writing is attributed to left after Marathon 2, making Infinity with his new company, which is why Infinity has such good writing (and Halo, IMHO, didn't).  The new company was supposed to make a game called Duality, but they unfortunately went under.

#51 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

teflon, on June 16th 2005, 05:34 AM, said:

so what are the chances of marathon 4 being made? and by Bungie? and for mac? 0.000000000000000000007 (bit of counting for you)

View Post

But that's...
7 x ----------
         (7x3)
Aieeeee! All the principal numbers of Bungiemathics are in there -- it's a conspiracy I tell you!!!!1111oneelevenone!!

#52 petey700

petey700

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:46 PM

Tesseract, on June 15th 2005, 11:07 AM, said:

Finally, there's more information than you could ever want and enough rampant speculation about weird coincidences to make your head explode at the Marathon's Story Page.

View Post

After reading through a good portion of the above mentioned site, I am now able to make sense of half of the signatures and names of the posters to IMG. I feel so much more informed now, thank you.
Dwight Shrute: "The showing of teeth is a sign of submission among primates. Everytime somebody smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for mercy."

#53 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

not Space_Pirate_Killer, on June 15th 2005, 04:32 AM, said:

Marathon IV is going to be about...
Battle Cat

View Post

tBC is going to be the central figure of M4? Cool. Who's going to play tBC in the movie version?

not the Battle Cat, on June 15th 2005, 10:02 AM, said:

::tBC makes the motions of zipping his lips, locking them with a little key, then dropping the key down between his heaving breasts::

View Post

Is there a video of this? I'll pay to see it. I'll even watch it for free! Please!

Frigidman, on June 15th 2005, 11:23 AM, said:

No thain, some like to THINK they know, when in fact they do not.

View Post

I think I don't think I don't know what I think I don't quite know. And that's a fact!

-

Does posting like this annoy anyone? I'm trying to avoid making a bunch of little posts. (I don't care about my post count. In fact, any admin out there want to make it negative? Now that would be cool. A permanent -42 would be great. Anything permanent with 69 would be bad as I am very happily married.)

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#54 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:00 PM

why not a permanent "-Tru7h" ? thatd be like, so cool. Im sure it doesnt have to be numbers.. I dont mind it, definitely prefer it to lots of little posts. i actually went back and added the whole likelyhood thing after tBC posted...
Speaking of likelyhood... with odds like that, it HAS to happen.
I wondered what happened to that guy, wasnt he like an astronaut who had mashed his head collapsing on a table or something? was totally skitz im sure of it (if hes reading this, then Id just like to say I love him for it), who else could come up with rampancy? gotta read the trilogy booklet again... The stories havent been the same since. Mara4 would need him. And no offence to Joe and Jason, but theyre not even in the same league. Noone is. Myth was very hidden away with parts of the story, theres a whole war that happened and we know next to nothing about it... But halo is very open and bare. Sure, theres lots of speculation, but thats cos the story isnt finished yet. And anyway, we all know whats going to happen. Marathon? blow up a sun? no problem. have unpronounceable names? sorted. Have a clue whats really happening? nope, your just doing what youre told to. Brilliant.
Wasnt PiD written by him too?

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#55 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17440 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:38 PM

Bernie, on June 15th 2005, 03:41 PM, said:

tBC is going to be the central figure of M4? Cool. Who's going to play tBC in the movie version?
Bender

Does posting like this annoy anyone? I'm trying to avoid making a bunch of little posts.
No, what you are doing is just right.  You see the "+ Quote" button down there by the '"Reply' button?  That is to make it easy to quote a bunch of different posts and answer them in a single reply.  You are working the system.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#56 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

teflon, on June 15th 2005, 05:00 PM, said:

I wondered what happened to that guy, wasnt he like an astronaut who had mashed his head collapsing on a table or something? was totally skitz im sure of it (if hes reading this, then Id just like to say I love him for it), who else could come up with rampancy? gotta read the trilogy booklet again... The stories havent been the same since. Mara4 would need him. And no offence to Joe and Jason, but theyre not even in the same league. Noone is. Myth was very hidden away with parts of the story, theres a whole war that happened and we know next to nothing about it... But halo is very open and bare. Sure, theres lots of speculation, but thats cos the story isnt finished yet. And anyway, we all know whats going to happen. Marathon? blow up a sun? no problem. have unpronounceable names? sorted. Have a clue whats really happening? nope, your just doing what youre told to. Brilliant.
Wasnt PiD written by him too?

View Post

Greg Kirkpatrick.  And I don't think Myth or PiD was written by him (though a brief look at the PiD manual shows them giving him thanks).  My understanding was that the three of them (Alex, Jason, and Greg) threw together the general story, but that it was Kirkpatrick who actually wrote everything.  I think he struck a good balance between obscure references and mystery and the actual need to tell a story and hold interest.  At some point the Cortana letters started feeling like an obscure reference hunt (though I still would have prefered that Cortana to the one in Halo).  I think Kirkpatrick does non-gaming computer work now, I found him referenced in a blog about a year back.

Reading the Gherrit White terminal again, I remember what I liked about Marathon.  Anyone care to explain to me the crazy men in black terminals that Double Aught did?

#57 rapideye

rapideye

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

But......... wasn't Halo really Marathon 4 anyway?  Even down to the: "They're everywhere" grab.  I loved the first two, both truly gripping games.  But by three the appeal had worn off and I never finished it.

If 4 ever sees daylight it had better be bloody good.
A Pinball Wizard ª

#58 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:29 AM

i would love to see a rampant cortana, but they cant do that and wont... they got tosave humanity, and alaso, almost noone would understand, being windows users, and not having played marathon... if there hadnt been the buyout, and it had been for mac, then maybe it wouldve been more obscure.

Now that theres only one of the original three, its much simpler. Greg even did al the fleshing out, its true that Jason came up with the general story arc (i think) for almost all the games, but writing all the little obscure bits needs to be done by someone like greg to get the sheer dementedness that is a Rampant AI (possibly another reason why cortana wont get rampant).

#59 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

teflon, on June 16th 2005, 02:29 AM, said:

i would love to see a rampant cortana, but they cant do that and wont... they got tosave humanity, and alaso, almost noone would understand, being windows users, and not having played marathon... if there hadnt been the buyout, and it had been for mac, then maybe it wouldve been more obscure.

Yeah, I was just thinking – "What would Marathon be without Durandal?  A good shooter, to be sure, but a fairly pedestrian story.  Evil aliens attack, you have to kill them.  The Pfhor were never that interesting.  In fact, it always seemed like they were pawns in the battle of the AI's (and in the first one, Durandal's escape plan).  Durandal is a great twist, and seems to take shots at shooters in general.  You're pretty much trapped into doing what the creators have planned for you and have little to no free will of your own.  And Durandal says this, and taunts you with it.  He's going to be free, and you're going to be his pawn.  A computer with free will while the human (the player, if not the marine) has none.  Halo didn't seem to have a fraction of this, at least from what I've seen of it.

teflon, on June 16th 2005, 02:29 AM, said:

Now that theres only one of the original three, its much simpler. Greg even did al the fleshing out, its true that Jason came up with the general story arc (i think) for almost all the games, but writing all the little obscure bits needs to be done by someone like greg to get the sheer dementedness that is a Rampant AI (possibly another reason why cortana wont get rampant).

View Post

Yeah, and beyond the crazy computer ramblings, there was just the wierd stuff thrown about that kept you guessing.   Short and somewhat disturbing vignettes thrown about that may or may not have anything to do with the story (like the aforementioned Gherrit White and men in black stories).  My guess is that these were all things Greg just cooked up in his head and decided to throw about.  It gave the game a very surreal aspect.  Jason may have come up with the general story arc, but you're right, the general story isn't that amazing (not that it's bad).  It's all the crazy mind games that really keeps you coming back.

#60 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:35 AM

rapideye, on June 16th 2005, 05:46 AM, said:

But......... wasn't Halo really Marathon 4 anyway?  Even down to the: "They're everywhere" grab.  I loved the first two, both truly gripping games.  But by three the appeal had worn off and I never finished it.

If 4 ever sees daylight it had better be bloody good.

View Post

No, Halo was Halo. Completely different game, storyline and even universe. But it's filled to the brim with Marathon references for us dedicated fans... that doesn't make it Marathon IV though. Just because a game/movie puts in a few Matrix references these days doesn't make it Matrix IV after all... Bungie is just not very subtle with their references ;)
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***