#21 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:14 PM

Bernie, on June 12th 2005, 05:41 AM, said:

For those of you that don't know, our trusty moderator, the Battle Cat, is away for a week. He is a big fan of Marathon and I don't want to leave him out, but this is too juicy not to mention. Bungie wants to do Marathon IV... but Mac only. Microsoft doesn't like it and is considering dissolving Bungie. I don't think it would be wise to publicly reveal the source at this point; but, if you PM me, I might be able to reveal some clues.  ;)

View Post

I call bullpoop plain and simple.  Of course Fridge's post is interesting I just really doubt this.  To quote bungie from 1996:

"Imagine a painting of a horse, a marvellous white stallion. This stallion happens to be lying in a crumpled heap on the ground, dead. And Bungie employees are standing around it in a semicircle, beating the horse with various blunt objects. The painting is titled "Marathon 4."

But hey, long live Marathon: Dr'Ate'R
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#22 sillek

sillek

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:38 AM

I'd rather see Myth IV..

I played Marathon for about..three seconds before it made me completely motion sick and nauseous.

#23 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:28 AM

Mac only Marathon IV: On one hand, it doesn't seem realistic. On the other hand, Apple just announced the transition to Intel. How many people remember this quote:

For Power Mac Users: If you need more speed, you'd better call the Apple Dealer where you bought your computer, 'cuz he probably sold you a Centris in a Power Mac case..."

The first Marathon made many 68K Mac users want to buy a Power Mac. When I was finally able to get a Power Mac year(s) later, the first thing I did was play Marathon again. Maybe Marathon IV's existence is/will be to get people to want to buy Intel Macs. Maybe it will come bundled with Intel Macs. Maybe that will be the only way you can get it. Who knows, it could even be free. (Maybe it will be Intel Mac only.)

Maybe the rumors of Apple sponsoring this project are true. Yeah, I know how Apple is about secrecy. However, if Bungie has total control, I can see these "leaks" happening.

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#24 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:35 AM

Bernie, on June 14th 2005, 04:28 AM, said:

Mac only Marathon IV: On one hand, it doesn't seem realistic. On the other hand, Apple just announced the transition to Intel. How many people remember this quote:
The first Marathon made many 68K Mac users want to buy a Power Mac. When I was finally able to get a Power Mac year(s) later, the first thing I did was play Marathon again. Maybe Marathon IV's existence is/will be to get people to want to buy Intel Macs. Maybe it will come bundled with Intel Macs. Maybe that will be the only way you can get it. Who knows, it could even be free. (Maybe it will be Intel Mac only.)

Maybe the rumors of Apple sponsoring this project are true. Yeah, I know how Apple is about secrecy. However, if Bungie has total control, I can see these "leaks" happening.

View Post

That's just plain stupid.  It'd be nice to believe, but it makes no business sense.  Also, some random dude on the IMG forums is the last place something like this would show up.  The first place would probably be the Marathon story page.  Apple just does not go after the "game" market, not with their music and iPod and digital video stuff.
Reverof Nohtaram

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:41 AM

I cannot comment on this thread at this time.  However, because I love you guys like comrades in arms and it appears that Hippieman is doing a decent job of plugging up the leak, all I can say at this time is: Not "Marathon 4" but rather... Marathon Pfhor.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:32 PM

Marathon Pfhor, excellent:) though PC and Xbox users would say fwoar instead of the whole can opening pff sound...

Hippieman has a point, sadly:( thered probably something akin to the Cortana letters which the got before Halo was announced. And apple has never courted the gaming market, while the rumours of RMA built in for film distribution are much more plausible and would suck up funds.

I also think that Bungies next project will be ressurecting Phoenix (ah-ha!!!), which looked pretty cool from the concept art I found somewhere.

I got a bit sick of the controls in marathon to tell the truth, im too used to mouse and board movement that the distortion from looking up and down got to me. I managed about 10 levels I think...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#27 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:07 PM

the Battle Cat, on June 14th 2005, 12:41 PM, said:

I cannot comment on this thread at this time.  However, because I love you guys like comrades in arms and it appears that Hippieman is doing a decent job of plugging up the leak, all I can say at this time is: Not "Marathon 4" but rather... Marathon Pfhor.

View Post

What leak?  Nothing was leaked... EVER!  Clearly it was just swamp gas from Venus.
Reverof Nohtaram

#28 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

the Battle Cat, on June 14th 2005, 10:41 AM, said:

I cannot comment on this thread at this time.  However, because I love you guys like comrades in arms and it appears that Hippieman is doing a decent job of plugging up the leak, all I can say at this time is: Not "Marathon 4" but rather... Marathon Pfhor.

View Post

HI,
I held back until now... since MIV rumors seem to pop up like Jack in a Box, mostly
spread by the TBC himself.

So, if there is another possible Marathon title worth the name and itīs true,

I will follow him into the fire.
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-

#29 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

I'm getting asked certain questions too much. So, here are the official answers:
  • I don't work for Bungie.
  • I don't work for Microsoft.
  • I don't work for Apple.
  • I don't work for Tuncer.
  • I don't work for Pink Floyd.
Also, yes, I do sometimes say "you humans" when referring to... well... you humans. It does NOT automatically mean that I am not human. Geese, I thought that it had been a while since I did that. Is someone dragging up my past or am I just getting old?

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#30 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:43 PM

I do not want M$ attached to anything Marathon.

No way. They will:
1) make the game PC and xbox only
2) screw everything up
3) still make a profit
4) destroy the Marathon legacy for us.

But it wont happen anyway.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#31 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

Since im too lazy to PM any (This fast reply is nice!) - What exactly ARE the rumors? O_o

Everybody seems to know everything... *Blehb*
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#32 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

WSTE_M, on June 14th 2005, 10:43 PM, said:

I do not want M$ attached to anything Marathon.

No way. They will:
1) make the game PC and xbox only
2) screw everything up
3) still make a profit
4) destroy the Marathon legacy for us.

But it wont happen anyway.

W

View Post

5) Stick a MS sticker on it
6) "Where the pfhor do you wanna go today?"
7) Monkey boy as end-level boss. O_o

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#33 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

Thain Esh Kelch, on June 14th 2005, 11:14 PM, said:

Since im too lazy to PM any (This fast reply is nice!) - What exactly ARE the rumors? O_o

Everybody seems to know everything... *Blehb*

View Post

1. Bungie are working on Marathon4
2. they want it too be mac only

thats it. But were talking about the microsoft effect, ie they wont allow it, and i mentioned that theyll probably return to a previously halted project, codenamed Phoenix, cos a lot of predev work will already have been done on that, like the basic storyline etc. etc. Dont expect too much until there is a real leak, or a mysterious mystery message somewhere.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#34 almondblight

almondblight

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:11 PM

teflon, on June 14th 2005, 05:19 PM, said:

Pretty close to the tru7h, they actually want it to be pippin only.  Or should I say, Pippin 360 only (*hinthint*).

#35 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:32 AM

Bernie, on June 14th 2005, 02:42 PM, said:

I'm getting asked certain questions too much. So, here are the official answers:
  • I don't work for Bungie.

• I don't work for Microsoft.

• I don't work for Apple.

• I don't work for Tuncer.

• I don't work for Pink Floyd.
Also, yes, I do sometimes say "you humans" when referring to... well... you humans. It does NOT automatically mean that I am not human. Geese, I thought that it had been a while since I did that. Is someone dragging up my past or am I just getting old?

View Post

You work for me.  Also Marathon IV is going to be about...
Battle Cat, whats it going to be about?
:huh:
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#36 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:38 AM

Apple would never succumb to using the same lame type of marketing that microsoft use. I mean, comeon, 360 just means its comeback on itself and nothings changed, good graphics, 2 or 3 half decent launch titles, and a bought out developer delivering a pretty fine FPS... see? no, the pippin2 will be much better, and probably be relabled iGame, iPlay, or iToy before launch in 2157.

#37 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3780 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:05 AM

teflon, on June 15th 2005, 01:19 AM, said:

thats it. But were talking about the microsoft effect, ie they wont allow it, and i mentioned that theyll probably return to a previously halted project, codenamed Phoenix, cos a lot of predev work will already have been done on that, like the basic storyline etc. etc. Dont expect too much until there is a real leak, or a mysterious mystery message somewhere.

View Post

Uhmmm... And if I got this right, everybody knows something about it in here? O_o

But, then what IS Phoenix? I cant remember anything about it since I stopped being a Bungie-fanboy a while after they got really MSicated, and phoenix.bungie.org doesnt really bring anything except a really cool logo.

#38 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:02 AM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on June 15th 2005, 12:32 AM, said:

You work for me.  Also Marathon IV is going to be about...
Battle Cat, whats it going to be about?
:huh:

View Post

::tBC makes the motions of zipping his lips, locking them with a little key, then dropping the key down his heaving bodice::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#39 BadVermin

BadVermin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:44 AM

teflon, on June 15th 2005, 04:38 AM, said:

Apple would never succumb to using the same lame type of marketing that microsoft use. I mean, comeon, 360 just means its comeback on itself and nothings changed, good graphics, 2 or 3 half decent launch titles, and a bought out developer delivering a pretty fine FPS... see? no, the pippin2 will be much better, and probably be relabled iGame, iPlay, or iToy before launch in 2157.

View Post

By your logic, when people say "he made a 360 degree change", that means nothing has changed? The 360 in the name doesn't mean "comeback", it is more akin to turnaround/progress.

I like the name, they had to use "3" in the name for all the soccer moms, comparing Xbox 2 to the PS3, they would think 3 is better then 2. Simple as that. Not really sure how that is lame, seems to me more like intelligent marketing.

Or were you being sarcastic for the WHOLE post and not just the last part. :)

#40 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:22 AM

yeah, but a 360 degree turn ends you up facing exactly the same direction. they want it to mean a revolution, but 360 just means full circle, revolution means, amongst other things, replacing something old with something new. xbox360 is just adding. anyway, the ps3 is looking to be more powerful, but just as difficult to dev for properly as the ps2. expect another late bloomer... 360 just sounds stupid to me. i prefered xenon, even xboxnext was good enough... clever marketing but still stupid.
i was being totally sincere for the entirety. I personally hope they got for iToy. lawsuits amongo, yay!!

http://phoenix.bungie.org/ for what there is of phoenix info. ie, there is none... All anyone knows is the codename, and that it was MIA to focus on Halo for xbox.
also http://www.insidemac...?ArticleID=5071
and a general search for bungie and phoenix on google is always good.
Given the name though, it could be anything from a completely new franchise to the resurrection of an old title (Marathon4? Myth4?).

Add: http://forums.bungie...ory/?read=36939 rampant speculation based on artwork by mullins.