73 replies to this topic

#41 nagareboshi

nagareboshi

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

It works quite ok on my brother's eMac 1GHz, 32vram card and whatever the specs might be... low settings, but still playable.
kate the great

#42 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:10 PM

MacADDICT, on June 14th 2005, 01:20 PM, said:

why the hell cant i buy a game and have it work. You know i spend a dick load on that card and this game was shipped with a game killing graphics bug that is clearly NOT fire trucking easy to fix. now this is pissing me off more than anything, this is ridiculous Glenda, if there is some specail driver why dont you link it so its easy to get too why dont you help us out here because the hot fix didnt do popsnizzle. Ahhhhhh

View Post

ATI knows of several issues with the X800 (general ones, not related to Sims 2), and I know they are working hard to fix them.  I believe a new Hot Fix is due any day.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#43 Number One

Number One

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:03 PM

anyways, I got mine today in the mail(Thank you Apple!) popped it in, I skipped the intro movies, then wham, I get one of those graphic glitches(black streaks across)

after some tinkering, I found a way to get rid of them, just change resolution back and forth and it should clear up.

I also have a new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition (G5), it runs "ok", not fast, not slow.

Also, I had blue landscape and red people, I reinstalled, still same thing...but then I started tutorial instead, quit that, then left and now it works fine, I am confused.

#44 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:21 PM

nagareboshi, on June 15th 2005, 01:11 PM, said:

It works quite ok on my brother's eMac 1GHz, 32vram card and whatever the specs might be... low settings, but still playable.

I'm only expecting moderate settings on my machine so this is encouraging. Thanks, nagareboshi.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#45 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:22 PM

My note regarding the new ATI hotfix (which was finally posted today).  The 109 ROM is not the hotfix.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#46 tuppence95

tuppence95

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:47 AM

Hello!  I'm brand new here and hoping to find some help.

I've seen mention in this topic about playing full screen or windowed.  I've been trying to find a way to minimalize my game so that I can access my desktop, but nothing seems to work.  I've been talking with another Mac user at a different forum, and neither of us can figure out how to do it.

Also, I'm having trouble with the Package Installer.  I've tried installing numerous Sims2Pack files of walls and floors and none of them show up in the game.

Hoping someone can give me some advice.

#47 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

tuppence95, on June 16th 2005, 07:47 AM, said:

Hello!  I'm brand new here and hoping to find some help.

I've seen mention in this topic about playing full screen or windowed.  I've been trying to find a way to minimalize my game so that I can access my desktop, but nothing seems to work.  I've been talking with another Mac user at a different forum, and neither of us can figure out how to do it.

Also, I'm having trouble with the Package Installer.  I've tried installing numerous Sims2Pack files of walls and floors and none of them show up in the game.

Hoping someone can give me some advice.

View Post

You can't switch back and forth between full screen and window (minimizing) during play, but if you are OK with just playing in window mode all the time you can then switch out to other applications.  Just hold down the command (apple) key while you double click The Sims 2 application, and you'll get a dialog box that lets you change to windowed mode.

Does the package installer give you any error messages when you install walls/floors?

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#48 tuppence95

tuppence95

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

Wow, thanks for answering so soon!

I've tried installing about 25 floor and wall sims2pack files.  Each time the package installer gave me the message that the custom content installed successfully.  I haven't seen any of them in the game.  I've looked around and I haven't seen anything different to click on in order to show custom content, like you have to when creating a sim.

#49 Number One

Number One

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:33 AM

I have created Sims in body shop and used Package Installer and I found them, not sure about walls, will look into that when I have time.

#50 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

Yup, still not here (in Canada) from macgamestore as I suspected. Stupid mail. And the new Mac dealer that's opening this Saturday in Kitchener-Waterloo (Carbon Computing) has them in stock for the opening! Figures!!!!! Rackin' frackin' .... grrrrr. Should've held off and bought from them. Darn!

I guess I can't cancel my order now, huh?

EDIT -- Actually, I have thought of another way if it doesn't arrive by mail today. Hmmm....  :unsure:

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#51 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:12 AM

I just picked a copy last night and I'm having a lot of fun with this.  I have a G4 PowerMac with a 1.2 GHz upgrade from Sonnet, 960 Megs of RAM and an ATI 9800 Radeon Pro. There is an occasional stutter, but it is perfectly playable.

#52 tuppence95

tuppence95

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

I'm still having a lot of problems with walls and floors.  I still haven't gotten the package installer to work, but I discovered a site that has walls in package files instead of sims2pack files.  I put those in my download folder.  A few of them showed up fine, but the rest of them show up as plain gray walls.  Here's how they look in my game.

Posted Image

Glenda, any solutions you could give me would be very appreciated.  I mainly play sims because I love the decorating options, so this is driving me up the wall.  

I'm playing the game on my iBook.  1.2 GHz, 768 RAM, OS 10.3.8.  I'm not sure what kind of graphics board I have.  It's whatever is built into the iBook.

#53 Michel

Michel

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:21 AM

DaveyJJ, on June 16th 2005, 01:41 PM, said:

Yup, still not here (in Canada) from macgamestore as I suspected. Stupid mail. And the new Mac dealer that's opening this Saturday in Kitchener-Waterloo (Carbon Computing) has them in stock for the opening! Figures!!!!! Rackin' frackin' .... grrrrr. Should've held off and bought from them. Darn!

I guess I can't cancel my order now, huh?

EDIT -- Actually, I have thought of another way if it doesn't arrive by mail today. Hmmm....  :unsure:

View Post

Bah. I'm in Canada too and still haven't received it yet...

That other way seems quite tempting.  ;)

#54 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:26 PM

Michel, on June 17th 2005, 12:21 PM, said:

Bah. I'm in Canada too and still haven't received it yet...

That other way seems quite tempting.  ;)

FOR THE RECORD ... I am not in any way shape or form suggesting piracy here. But the local store will give refunds on unopened software. Which would, naturally occur, if I happened to suddenly have a second copy arrive by mail next week after I bought one tomorrow. That's all.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#55 tarth

tarth

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

Everyone having performance issues with The Sims 2, even when your computer meets the minimum or recommended specs, please take a look at this rant I posted earlier in the IMG forums at http://www.insidemac...=20#entry214734 .

#56 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:03 PM

Maybe I'll pick this up after I try it out. But that will have to wait for a new comp from me.
Hey DaveyJ- representing the 519! lol
Oh man I can't to get outta this place
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1

#57 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:08 AM

Silver Samurai, on June 20th 2005, 12:03 AM, said:

Hey DaveyJ- representing the 519! lol

Yup! But I've also been 416/905/510/345/480/602/604 and a few others at times as well.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#58 Michel

Michel

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:54 PM

Another shipping day.. Still no Sims  :mellow:

#59 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:17 AM

Michel, on June 20th 2005, 08:54 PM, said:

Another shipping day.. Still no Sims  :mellow:

View Post

Ditto, but I happened to buy a copy at that local Mac store who have an excellent return/exchange policy on unopened software. So far it's pretty good on my PB, but the scrolling at the side with the mouse isn't anywhere near as speedy as it is using the arrow keys.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#60 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

holy crap you get around davej!
lol
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6