#21 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

GlendaAdams, on June 13th 2005, 05:41 PM, said:

Make sure you've installed the latest ATI Retail card drivers (from the CD that came with the card or their web site).  We saw this behavior on many machines that we installed an X800 in when we forgot to actually install the driver disk.  The ATI drivers built into OS X by default don't understand the X800 very well.

Glenda

View Post

In that case, shouldn't Sims 2 install the driver itself?
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#22 jack_the_dog

jack_the_dog

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:00 PM

The iMac Man, on June 13th 2005, 03:50 PM, said:

In that case, shouldn't Sims 2 install the driver itself?

View Post

Well, reinstalling the ATI software didn't help.  Same glitches in window mode.

#23 jmansbong

jmansbong

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:28 PM

Can someone please help? Its as though almost I did not recieve the entire game. I ordered it from MacGamestore. I noticed there was a serial # on the back yet it never asked for it during installation.

These screens are all I see when I start the game.:angry: and the tutorial button only takes me back to the first screen.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:47 AM

jack_the_dog, on June 13th 2005, 03:44 PM, said:

I think I did that when I got it but I'll try it again just in case.

View Post

me too and i just got the grey BFX Bug is full screen. Glenda... there are even more GFX bugs in here like the loading menu kinda of remianing on screen in a few lines even though im on a different menu!!!!!! why did i pay 50$ for this buggy junk o ya i have the X800

#25 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:48 AM

I just got the game yesterday, popped it in, and it runs terribly. I'm running off of a 1.67 Ghz powerbook with 1gig of ram, and a 128 meg ATI radeon 9700. Even with all settings on low/off, the game still runs so slow that it's almost unplayable. I'd hate to see how this plays on a system right at minimum requirements.

#26 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:12 AM

These reports are scaring me ... I'm hoping these are just odd "problems" and aren't indicitive of a bad port. My son and I eagerly await Canada Post to get it delivered. My system is less powerful than Cameron's so I'm worried now.

I'll post a complete report when I get it for reference.

Addendum ... everyone's using the v109 Hotfix for their X800 cards, just released on Monday, correct? Here's a link to xlr8yourmac.com where it discusses the latest fix, and provides a direct link to the .dmg v109 hotfix download, released only yesterday, and here are the details ...

One other release. Hotfix drivers have been posted for the X800XT (this install does not include files/changes for any other product). This fixes corruption problems seen by some customers running higher-end software like Maya, Modo and Lightwave. Customers who do not run these applications and/or have not seen a problem with the built-in 10.4.x drivers should not download this hotfix. The download can be accessed by following Knowledgebase article 737-19102 via support.ati.com

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#27 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:36 AM

Just a little clarification on the X800 drivers/ROMs.  

The ATI related stuff can be separated into three main categories:
Drivers - The .kext files sitting in /System/Library/Extensions

ROM - The firmware on the card as well as the ATI ROM Xtender.  I think the OEM versions are called ATIRuntimeDriver.bundle and ATIDriver.bundle

Utilities - ATI Displays is a utility and is not required.

Each OS X update since 10.3.6 has X800 compatible drivers.  The retail drivers that come with the card are meant for 10.3.6 installs.  The built-in 10.3.6 drivers are possibly more buggy and slower than the ones on the retail disc.   However, the installer also installs the ATI ROM Xtender that an X800 with a 104 ROM needs to control the fan.  The newer ROM updates (like the 109 ROM update - note, not a "hotfix") and I believe the latest ATI Displays install the latest ATI ROM Xtender so if anyone is using 10.3.7 and above probably don't need to install anything off of the X800 retail disk anymore.  

The latest X800 ROM, version 109, has the fan controls in the card's firmware now so one should safely be able to run an X800 card withouat an ATI ROM Xtender installed and not have to worry about control (in theory of course ;) )

The Hotfix mentioned by AYM yesterday actually refers to a driver release.  It also includes the latest ATI ROM Xtender.  Because it's considered a Hotfix, only those experiencing certain problems should install them and only if you have 10.4.0/10.4.1 (although I'm not sure about the 10.4.0 part).  Both the ROM upgrade and Hotfix should have been released yesterday as two seperate installs.

Anyone have X800 problems, please note the ROM version (last 3 digits the most important) and, as for any request for help, the OS version would be very helpful.

If you're using a ROM update newer than 104, try reverting back to 104 to see if the problem

I'm probably forgetting something.  If I remember, I'll edit this.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#28 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:42 AM

X800's definitely need the most current drivers, we've run a lot in testing on X800's and everything runs smoothly if we have all the drivers installed correctly (full screen or windowed).

The serial number is only needed to create an account on Sims2.com, so this is normal (you don't have to enter it at the start).

Performance on Powerbooks should be fine, the 9700 is a decent video card so you may want to make sure your OS is in good shape (latest updates, repair permissions, etc).

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#29 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:44 AM

jmansbong, on June 13th 2005, 07:28 PM, said:

Can someone please help? Its as though almost I did not recieve the entire game. I ordered it from MacGamestore. I noticed there was a serial # on the back yet it never asked for it during installation.

These screens are all I see when I start the game.:angry: and the tutorial button only takes me back to the first screen.

Posted Image
Posted Image

View Post

Where did you install the game on your hard drive?  It looks like the install didn't completely work, is it possible your hard drive is getting full?

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#30 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:53 AM

Glenda, I checked the main site and the only driver i could find was an update for ATI Display 4.2 or something. Installed and nothing.

#31 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:22 PM

If you have 10.3.9 you have the latest official Panther ATI drivers.  If you have 10.4.1 you have the latest official Tiger ATI drivers.  If you have a specific problem in Tiger you can try the latest ATI Hotfix (not sure if it's available yet) but they are not meant for everyone.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#32 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:00 PM

10.4 tried the hotfix and it did nothign to get rid of the grey spots that take over the screen.

#33 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:20 PM

why the hell cant i buy a game and have it work. You know i spend a dick load on that card and this game was shipped with a game killing graphics bug that is clearly NOT fire trucking easy to fix. now this is pissing me off more than anything, this is ridiculous Glenda, if there is some specail driver why dont you link it so its easy to get too why dont you help us out here because the hot fix didnt do popsnizzle. Ahhhhhh

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

MacADDICT please, deep breaths.  Your frustration is understandable but your anger is misdirected towards the people who are probably the only people on the planet who REALLY care that you are having this problem.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 MacADDICT

MacADDICT

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

well now ive used the hotfix to re-intall 104, upon restart SAME thing. Used it again (all in safe boot) to install 108, upon restart SAME thing. Used it again to install 109 (the "new and supposedly better" version, upon restart SAME thing. THEN i uninstalled the game and up reinstall WOAH same thing. Yay for game killing bugs.

#36 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

Try creating a new User and test it there.
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#37 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:20 PM

GlendaAdams, on June 14th 2005, 12:42 PM, said:

Performance on Powerbooks should be fine, the 9700 is a decent video card so you may want to make sure your OS is in good shape (latest updates, repair permissions, etc).

10.4.1 and a GeForce FX Go5200 with 64MB on my new 12" PB. That's OK too, right Glenda?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#38 samanmax

samanmax

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:25 PM

Hello all...

Anyone have any clues on performance on a 12 inch Powerbook running 10.3.9? Its a Rev. C 1.33ghz with 768MB RAM and a GeForce FX Go5200 64MB. A Superdrive as well, if thats pertinent.

Being realistic, I don't expect 60fps on max or anything, but I'd like to be sure I can get a reasonable (25fps+?) frame rate with low-medium settings full screen with a normal house and family size before I go out and purchase The Sims 2.

Will there be a demo available so people can try it out before we purchase? I tried the Body Shop kit thing and while the loading/saving was glacial, the 3D rotations and manipulations were fine.

#39 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

Glenda, I know it' snot my powerbook as it's brand new. Literally. I just got it from apple last monday. I don't know what permissions I need to check, but the fps I'm getting on this thing are terrible. What kind of fpse should I be looking at getting for my card? What permissions are you talking about?

#40 elderbre

elderbre

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:18 PM

Cameron, on June 15th 2005, 03:44 AM, said:

Glenda, I know it' snot my powerbook as it's brand new. Literally. I just got it from apple last monday. I don't know what permissions I need to check, but the fps I'm getting on this thing are terrible. What kind of fpse should I be looking at getting for my card? What permissions are you talking about?

View Post

Open Disk Utility. Check PErmissions, Repairs Permissions, it's there, jsut click on the right drive. Doesn't matter if it's new.