#21 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

dojoboy, on May 16th 2005, 08:39 AM, said:

Something to think about is the IC +/- regarding annexation.  On the flip side, puppets provide a percentage of their resoucres.

View Post

Annexation means you get all the land they currently posses.  This also means their IC works at higher capacity for you. If you had a claim on that province then you get the full IC.  When you are just the occupying force you get a rather small portion of the IC.  Also annexation means you can deploy troops there.  

Puppeting means you no longer get their IC, but can still convoy away a large part of their resources away.  Also they will build and maintain their own army to defend themselves.  I think that is perhaps the best part of the Puppeting scenario.  All the troops you where using to occupy the country can be used else where and eventually the puppeted state can be a valuable ally.  Britain is an especially valuable ally.  It is next to impossible to annex and in a year or two they have a fairly decent army.  Better then the Italians anyway  :D
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win  -- Sun-Tzu "The Art of War"

#22 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:18 AM

So if I have a land route, between Germany and France for example, annexation doesn't require a convoy to move the goods then right? They just travel by truck on their own?

My game is now at August of 1941, I'm about 20 days away from finishing research on Panzer Vs (improved Medium tank with 75mm Long). I've finished research on and am currently upgrading my tac bombers to Ju-88s (improved) and my fighters to ME109 Gustavs (improved interceptors). I'm preparing to go into Russia but unless they come at me first I'm probably going to have to wait for spring of 1942. With all the conquered territory I am holding I don't have enough infantry to support a drive across that vast land. I still have 1100+ manpower so i can -get- the infantry units (especially when i finish my '44 divisional reorganization tech), it's just a matter of training time.

I took Gibraltar and all of the UK's possessions in North Afrika and have been cleaning the UK out of eastern africa. I'm also sending a small invasion force to remove France from western africa and get possession of those rubber supplies!

I like how the need for resources forces a player's hand sometimes. Simply grabbing territory and star provinces for victory points wouldn't be near as fun.

#23 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

Morrigan, on May 17th 2005, 10:18 AM, said:

I'm preparing to go into Russia but unless they come at me first I'm probably going to have to wait for spring of 1942.

I can't wait to hear what kind of shape the SU is in, come spring of '42.  I think I attacked them almost 2 full years earlier than you're planning.  Of course, your army is probably more davanced than mine was in spring of '40.  If you would, please place your life on hold and play on, and post pics.  ;)
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#24 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

*cough* gosh i'm feeling a bit sick, might need to go home early!

#25 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:34 PM

It's May '43 in my game, and I've just puppetted (sp?) the UK.  I never did get the CORE new orders west events.  I held all the required location, except Suez.  It was held by Syria who was a puppet of Vichy France.  So, I couldn't declare war on them to capture Suez.  I instead brought Vichy France into the Axis, which also brought in Syria.  I thought this may trigger the event.  Nope.  Once able, I made the UK a puppet the old fashion way.  The first two times I tried, the game crashed.  Later, after saving, I thought "what the hell" and tried again.  It worked and n crash.

I was slugging it out with the UK and USA in India at the time.  It was quite fun.  Now, I'll move further east to counter the USA and mass an invasion of North America from Europe.  Or, I might just go play Victoria.

#26 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:59 AM

Morrigan, on May 17th 2005, 10:18 AM, said:

So if I have a land route, between Germany and France for example, annexation doesn't require a convoy to move the goods then right? They just travel by truck on their own?

Right.

#27 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:02 AM

I played 6 more months last night, October 1941-early 1942 but I think I'm going to reload the 1941 save again. Not because I was getting stomped or anything, but because I wasted a TON of time and resources trying to grab the rubber resources in africa. Man what a pain in the butt it is to try to move around those provinces. I spent a god-awful amount of time screwing around with paratroopers, trying to keep my units alive in 10-infastructure provinces, etc. I'm going to just concentrate on securing my beaches and borders and prepare to fight those dirty commies to the east. I might puppet the UK, I could better use those garrisons units in poland.

#28 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:10 PM

Morrigan, on May 18th 2005, 11:02 AM, said:

I played 6 more months last night, October 1941-early 1942 but I think I'm going to reload the 1941 save again.

Did war break out w/ the SU?  If so, what were their stats?

#29 xcman22

xcman22

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

Hey guys! I know this is slightly off topic, but would you all be interested in having a nOOb(me) post battle reports about his first few games? I would certainly love the insight and strategy you guys could provide, and you would probably get a lot of laughs from me trying to drive my tanks into mountains and getting invaded by Australia.

#30 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

xcman22, on May 18th 2005, 02:15 PM, said:

Hey guys! I know this is slightly off topic, but would you all be interested in having a nOOb(me) post battle reports about his first few games? I would certainly love the insight and strategy you guys could provide, and you would probably get a lot of laughs from me trying to drive my tanks into mountains and getting invaded by Australia.

View Post

Absolutely, write it up.   :thumbsup:

#31 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:10 PM

dojoboy, on May 18th 2005, 12:10 PM, said:

Did war break out w/ the SU?  If so, what were their stats?
not a peep from the soviets!

#32 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:45 PM

okay, game on with the USSR! I reloaded my late '41 game and did some basic landings in west africa to annoy the UK and grab some rubber. this time I avoided getting my fleets involved with UK capital ships and took my aim away from extended african conquests.

In February of '42 the Soviets declared war. As you can see by the alignment map I have an interesting set of allies in the mideast. Iraq and Iran, if not steamrolled by the russians early, should make for a nice thorn in the side (or belly) of the Reds and a nice way for me to open another front.
Posted Image
I'm concerned by a couple of things right now:
1) the soviets have twice as many ground units on the front lines as I do.
2) they also have a stack of FIFTEEN fighters.
3) the first production run of my best equipment is still over a month from finishing (PzrIVH 75mm Long (24 soft and 31 hard attack values) and BF109 Gustav fighters (13 air attack value))

What could save me... I have some pretty advanced infantry techs now, my infantry is probably significantly better than his. Time to organize armored fire brigades and see if I can fend Ivan off long enough to get my best toys in play.
Posted Image

#33 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:21 AM

Alright!  I've been looking forward to this.  Do you have military control of Slovakia, Romania, and Hungary?  Any tech-sharing among your allies?  Do you have any armor, other than the mech infantry I see?

#34 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:41 AM

dojoboy, on May 19th 2005, 07:21 AM, said:

Alright!  I've been looking forward to this.  Do you have military control of Slovakia, Romania, and Hungary?  Any tech-sharing among your allies?  Do you have any armor, other than the mech infantry I see?

View Post

I've done very little tech sharing, I've been spending the diplomacy points on getting iraq and iran and (unsuccessfully) turkey into my alliance. I also don't have control of the armies of my allies, although I will likely take control of Romania and Hungary soonish.

My armor consists of 3 divisions of light tanks with 45mm? guns, and i think a dozen divisions of mediums with 75mmCS guns. Some of that armor is up in Norway, most is in the second row of provinces off the eastern front.

#35 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:12 AM

You probably have a long and difficult road ahead of you, but thats what makes it fun!

Watch out for Romania getting steamrolled early on.  If that happens you can have all kinds of problems.

You actually have a bit of an advantage in that winter is still in full swing, which gives a large minus to offensive operations.  Wait until mid may to begin major offensive operations and you will gain a lot of ground fast.

I wish I would follow my own advice some times.  I overreached a little in my game and lost more man power then I wanted to during the winter.  A couple pyrrhic victories blunted my ambitions quite a lot.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win  -- Sun-Tzu "The Art of War"

#36 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:13 AM

Off topic ->  Morrigan you joined IMG on my birthday!  Okay, this is a shameless plug.   :D

#37 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:29 AM

Jard, on May 19th 2005, 10:12 AM, said:

You probably have a long and difficult road ahead of you, but thats what makes it fun!

I'm hoping to learn some strats here.  The last time I waited on the SU to delcare war, I was completely routed.  That was several games ago, perhaps I should set the challenge up for myself.  ;)  But, I've got full confidence in Morrigan.   :D

#38 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

Hey if I don't win the first time I'll reload and try again and you'll never know :D

A question on manpower... if a unit gets completely anihilated does that manpower go away? If a unit is out of supply/surrounded and defeated does that manpower disappear? if a unit takes 50% casualties, does that remove some manpower from the game? I've never really paid attention but it makes sense that at least the encirclement and capture of tens or hundreds of thousands of troops would directly affect usable manpower for the rest of the game.

#39 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

Morrigan, on May 19th 2005, 10:39 AM, said:

A question on manpower... if a unit gets completely anihilated does that manpower go away? If a unit is out of supply/surrounded and defeated does that manpower disappear? if a unit takes 50% casualties, does that remove some manpower from the game? I've never really paid attention but it makes sense that at least the encirclement and capture of tens or hundreds of thousands of troops would directly affect usable manpower for the rest of the game.

Good questions, I've never paid attention myself.  But, w/ the SU in 1942, I don't think it's going to be that much of a loss for them if the manpower is diminished.  They've had 6 years to tech-up, improve provinces w/ 5 year plans, and unfettered manpower growth.     :unsure:   I probably shouldn't have wrote that.   ;)

#40 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:17 AM

Trying to make me jittery eh?! ;)
I was more concerned for my own manpower levels :) I have about 1100 manpower unused, I should be okay as long as I don't try to fight a war of attrition.