dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:22 AM

Since three of us are attempting games as Germany w/ CORE v.90, I thought a thread for discussion would be useful.  ;)

Below is a reply I wrote to jard's post in the "USA: Road to War" thread by Morrigan.  After I typed it up, I opted for this thread topic.

Jard, on May 14th 2005, 10:06 AM, said:

Anything interesting happen in your games so far?  I had the soviets not sign the M-R pact. Which means aside from them not getting half of poland they also do not have claims on latvia, estonia and that other one.  The only bad thing for me is I do not get the supply shipments through the USSR, which makes the Allied blockade a little worse.  This is offset by the knowledge that they do not get any of my machine tools and the industrial enhancements they would provide.  Should make for an interesting game.

View Post

I'm curious how that plays out for you.  I think I would like it, just to not have to capture those provinces when war w/ the SU breaks out.

I've just fiished a sitting w/ my Germany game w/ CORE v.90, and so far so good.  It's Dec. '39 and Vichy France has been created and Poland has been partitioned.  The SU is fighting the Winter War w/ Finland.  I've annexed Denmark and contemplating going after Norway w/ 6 mech infantry.  The UK is surprisingly quiet, to the point where I have begun to consider an invasion.  But, my worries are centered on the Red Army.

Oddities so far, for me, include having Yugoslavia join the Axis.  This is my first game as Germany w/ CORE, and I'm pleased to discover that Vichy France remains neutral rather than joining the Axis.  Or, this was an event opition they chose in my game.  At least I will not have to worry about Allied landings in Marseilles.

Currently, I'm positioning my army for Barbarossa.  The plan is to encircle the Red Army forces in the Pripet Marshes by a large scale offensive from the north (Memel).  Once this is accomplished, I plan to blitz as quickly as possiible to the key points required to trigger the "Bitter Peace" event.  I would love to be done with the Soviets by the time the US enters the war, but that is wishful thinking.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#2 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

dojoboy, on May 14th 2005, 09:22 AM, said:

It's Dec. '39 and Vichy France has been created and Poland has been partitioned.
Wow, fast! I'm up to Nov of '39 and nowhere near prepared to move into France.

Oddities so far, for me, include having Yugoslavia join the Axis.
I've been trying to woo Yugoslavia to me, did you just do diplomatic influence and invite them or did I miss an event?

As far as my current game goes, I pulled the following from my USA thread, kind of got off track :) ...

In my restart as Germany I ignored Industrial upgrades and went for placing 3 AA in about a dozen of my provinces from Berlin west and northwest to cover the arc of flight paths of incoming Strategic bombers from UK or France. When the Poles forced me into war the Brits sent one strategic bombing raid toward Berlin, netted 0 IC, and limped away not to return.

I've been extremely careful to watch the World Trade screen and my resource usage chart so as to keep my economy as healthy as possible. I have a rubber shortage (which is no heartbreak for the Catholics!  ) but the rest of my resources look pretty good at the moment.

Poland fell in October of '39 and was divided as per the M-R pact, I'm now SR'ing and massing formations westward. I should be pushing into France and the Low countries in early '40. Not sure if I'll snap up Denmark in the intervening months or mop them up after the fall of France; same for Norway.

Tech-wise I'm researching industry, tanks, fighters, and light/medium bombers aggressively. I've actually done some historic things like building the Bismark and Tirpitz and laying down the submarine flotillas as suggested by the events. Part of my reasoning on the battleships is that I want to try operation Sea Lion. I figure I'll need an effective invasion bombardment force if I'm going to pull that landing off. I'm putting some tech into submarines, I want to see how well I can harass the Brits later in the game with subs.

#3 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:10 AM

Morrigan, on May 14th 2005, 11:49 AM, said:

I've been trying to woo Yugoslavia to me, did you just do diplomatic influence and invite them or did I miss an event?

It was an event.  Something to do w/ "pressuring Yugoslavia."  I went w/ "pressure" and they accepted.  Prior to the event, I invited them over and over again, as well.

I do like what CORE has done to HOI, but I wish the game-killer ctd's would go away.  At least the only one I suffered while playing the UK.

#4 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

Morrigan, on May 14th 2005, 11:49 AM, said:

Wow, fast! I'm up to Nov of '39 and nowhere near prepared to move into France.

I warred on both fronts (east and west) simultaneously.  Rather than just holding the line in the west, I used 27 infantry divisions (3 FM x 9) and 7 armour divisions (led by Rommel) to roll up Holland, Belgium, and France.  I did reassign another 18 divisions from the east once Poland was partitioned, to quicken the fall of France.  I also annexed Denmark with 6 mech infantry divisions from the eastern front.  I'm planning to use approx. 108 mixed divisions to spearhead the "Barbarossa" offensive from Memel.  The remainder of the Soviet front is to be held by approx. 10 - 12 infantry divisions per province.  These forces will punch east once the encirclement is complete.  After I save and reload that is, to avoid the "encircled/no supply" bug.

#5 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Here is the current situation.  I don't yet have the forces in place that I'd prefer, but I'm thinking about going after the SU real soon.  Lithuania kept refusing the SU's demands for territory, so I waged a short war against Lithuania and annexed them.  It leaves with a bulge into Soviet territory that I'm not real sure whether I like it or not.  The plan remains the same - encircle the Pripet Marshes.  However, my armour and mech infantry divisions (approx. 20 total) are but two provinces from Moscow.  Finalnd is keeing the Russians tied up in the Winter War, which is where I figure the bulk of the Soviet army is atm.

German-Soviet Border, March 1940
Posted Image

#6 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

Dateline April 1940:

So after I annexed poland I quickly rolled the low countries and france.  I promoted Rommel to a FM and took the skill hit.  I have a stack of 8 light tanks and 2 MecInf and I figured since I tend to move my armor way in front of everything it would be good have him be a FM and always have the HQ bonus.  Paris fell in late november 39 (around the 19th).  The vichy event fired soon after.

Unlike many games that I have played with core in the pas,t Vichy france decided to actively join the axis effort.  This time around I did not want to game the AI that much so I was going to wait until I could field a good size anti-naval force to launch a more realistic Sea-Lion.  But the Vichy fleets steamed unopposed through the english channel, so after I cleaned up france I took my meager fleet and landed my tanks in Coventry.  Rommel planted the German flag over Buckingham Palace on December 28th of 1939.

The capture of the UK capital means I get all their supplies.  I think I will have all the supplies I need for the foreseeable future.

As part of the fallweslburg(sp?) (German invasion of Norway) the Danish peninsula is mine and what is left of Denmark is my satellite.  Several Norwegian provinces are mine but nothing interesting yet.  Yugoslavia spurned my advances and decided to join the allies, fools.  By April 9, 1940 I had broken their country apart and created the states of Croatia and Serbia.  Italian incompetence has drawn my forces to greece, they will fall quickly.  Ireland has fallen under the German boot and the whole of the British Isles is mine.

Looking at the USSR they have constructed a line of fortifications on their old Pole-Russian boarder.  It appears they have not learned the lessons of the Maginot line.  I am reminded of what Patton said when asked about the fortifications of Munich(maybe a different M town) "Fixed fortifications are a monument to mans stupidity"
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win  -- Sun-Tzu "The Art of War"

#7 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

Jard, on May 14th 2005, 08:26 PM, said:

This time around I did not want to game the AI that much so I was going to wait until I could field a good size anti-naval force to launch a more realistic Sea-Lion.  But the Vichy fleets steamed unopposed through the english channel, so after I cleaned up france I took my meager fleet and landed my tanks in Coventry.  Rommel planted the German flag over Buckingham Palace on December 28th of 1939.

The capture of the UK capital means I get all their supplies.  I think I will have all the supplies I need for the foreseeable future.

Man, I would like to have those resources right about now.  Later, I'll go back and replay a save to invade England.  They look vulnerable in my game as well.  But, I've always worried  over the SU's capabilities and want to knock them out ASAP.

Good work, Jard.  ;)

#8 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

Quick update.  The offensive against the SU is going well, but I've suffered two failed attempts at capturing Moscow.  The reason for the failures goes back to my initial outlay of forces.  I know realize I overmanned the borders with Russia along the Pripet Marshes.  I should have cut those numbers in half and reassigned to the north.    Now, Moscow has a level 5 fortress and there will be plenty of blodd spilled before it's captured.  I'm now moving forces from the Pripet Marshes to bolster the offensives in the north.  The remaining forces will head due east for Stalingrad.  

I went w/ Rosenberg's plan for the occupied Soviets lands - to establish puppet governments to provide a buffer between Germany and the Soviet Union.  The boost in manpower is welcomed.

Japan is completely aligned with democracy.  How the hell did that happen?  

Norway is eating up Sweden.  I dispatched 4 divisions to regain lands and to knock Norway out.  I'm confident I can accomplish it with those few numbers, but it will take a while.

Finland is now in the Axis and holding it's own against the SU.  I hope to have thos Soviet forces cut off from moscow soon.  The Allies currently have no presence in Europe, not even in Sicily.

I'm still nervous.

Russo-German War, June 23, 1940
Posted Image

#9 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

dojoboy, on May 15th 2005, 09:42 AM, said:

I went w/ Rosenberg's plan for the occupied Soviets lands - to establish puppet governments to provide a buffer between Germany and the Soviet Union.  The boost in manpower is welcomed.

Japan is completely aligned with democracy.  How the hell did that happen? 

Norway is eating up Sweden.  I dispatched 4 divisions to regain lands and to knock Norway out.  I'm confident I can accomplish it with those few numbers, but it will take a while.

Finland is now in the Axis and holding it's own against the SU.  I hope to have thos Soviet forces cut off from moscow soon.  The Allies currently have no presence in Europe, not even in Sicily.

View Post

I think Rosenberg's plan is the best choice of those present.  The idea that Germany could annex and control all that land is just silly.  Make sure not to let both Belorussian and Ukraine form it will create an undesirable situation with respect to strategic deployment.

I believe that japan has some event options that steer it away from a military dictatorship and towards democracy.  I am pretty sure they will still go to war with the US thought, it may be latter in the game however.

Good luck trying to take Moscow that will most likely be a blood bath.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win  -- Sun-Tzu "The Art of War"

#10 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

Jard, on May 15th 2005, 01:42 PM, said:

I think Rosenberg's plan is the best choice of those present.  The idea that Germany could annex and control all that land is just silly.  Make sure not to let both Belorussian and Ukraine form it will create an undesirable situation with respect to strategic deployment.

How is the Bitter Peace event applied in CORE?  Same.  Also, I'm assuming I'll be given an event regarding the creation of Belorussia and Ukraine?

#11 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:51 PM

Last I played as Germany was .86 so it may have changed but...

There will be an event that sets up Belorussia and Ukraine. You will have the option to either set up the country or leave it under military rule. I do not remember the penalty for the latter action, but if you do not control continuous land you can not strategically redeploy your troops there.  

Bitter peace is basically the same in its preconditions.  Its execution is slightly different, instead of giving you control of western russia you can ether create a communist puppet or a fascist government that will control western russia and be at war with the communist remnants to the east.  Last time I chose the latter and with in a few months fascist russia had annexed communist russia.

#12 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:17 PM

The war has been going relatively well.  Moscow and Stalingrad have fallen to the Germans.  The Soviets control about 4-5 province in Scandanavia, but Norway has been annexed.  German forces have now captured Leningrad, Moscow, Stalingrad, Baku, and Magnitogorsk.  But, I made a huge player error.  Just before capturing Baku, I learned the USA had entered the war.  My knee-jerk reaction was to invite the Japanese into the Axis alliance.  As soon as they accepted, I realized I had now altered the requirements for the Bitter Peace.  Japan now has to control Vladivostok.  :(

I'm tempted to go back to a save that is a few months before capturing Baku.  If I can rid myself of the Red Menace, then I can prepare for an invasion of the British Isles.

Moscow Falls
Posted Image

#13 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

Excellent progress Dojoboy! My biggest question is how you kept you economy afloat. By mid 1940 I was out of rubber and not able to trade for enough to keep my oil intact. I was down below 1000 coal, having converted some 60,000 to oil and that over to rubber in just a few months!

This terrible situation effectively forced me into Operation Sea Lion, I simply -had- to have England's resources. The invasion was almost too easy; I landed in Coventry and England fell as quickly as my 3 panzer corps could push north through the heather and west along the chalky cliffs.

Here's a map of my current situation in October of '40. The Russians have taken Finland, I'm still working on getting Turkey under my banner, I've annexed Yugoslavia for my own, Greece is a puppet, Italy is neutral as is Vichy. I'm currently moving paratroopers to Greece so I can re-enact Crete and take Cyprus. I have 2 transports and 16 submarine floatillas in the Med (based in Yugoslavia), odd little invasion fleet (i hope to add more transports to it); I'm going to try to take Malta and mayb even Gibraltar at some point.

Posted Image

#14 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:29 PM

Morrigan, on May 15th 2005, 11:06 PM, said:

Excellent progress Dojoboy! My biggest question is how you kept you economy afloat. By mid 1940 I was out of rubber and not able to trade for enough to keep my oil intact. I was down below 1000 coal, having converted some 60,000 to oil and that over to rubber in just a few months!

Good question.  :unsure:

What trades do you set up once the game begins?  I trade coal into the negative from the start at least to gain some rubber and oil, as well as steel.  But, CORE makes this more difficult with the low starting resource levels.  I bank on oil trades (events) w/ Romania mostly.  In CORE, there is the rubber trade w/ Portugal, but it was only once.  

My game is currently up to March 25, 1941, and I'm preparing for a version of Operation Sea Lion.  But first, I'm waiting on my naval techs to become realized.  

The Soviet Union is no more.  I went back to a Dec. '40 save, before I erroneously asked Japan into the Axis.  I saved and reloaded after capturing Baku.  Upon reload, the events to deal with "apparent victory" in the east fired.  For some reason, several eastern European states thought I had promisd them independence.  ;)  This broken promise cost me a drastic rise in dissent by 35%.  Ouch!  :angry:  It played havoc for a while on my sliders.

But,...this little gem saved my arse!

Posted Image

I had opted for the "establish an anti-communist state" in occupied Soviet lands.  This created Russia, who with a few of my divisions that I left lingering in the east, annexed the SU relatively quickly.

I also was able to puppet the new Russian state.

Posted Image

The USA is at war with Japan.  I see no need whatsoever to bring Japan into the Axis, willfully.  Right now, I'm upgrading my armour and positioning infantry in northern Europe and southern Europe for amphibious landings in North Africa and the British Isles.  Among the armies brought home from the east, I've got 180 infantry divisions, 20+ armour divisions, and an equal amount of infantry mech.  My plan is to dispatch 60 infantry divisions to the British Isles and another 60 into North Africa.  The armour and mech infantry will be split up equally as well.  The remaining 60 divisions of infantry will be in mainland Europe for any threatening Allied landings or to reinforce either of the two offensives in the UK or Egypt.

My IC levels are very high.  I'm catching up on some air and naval techs that I let sit while teching up in areas for the land wars.  I'm now able to repel the Royal Air Force, and soon I'll have enough transports and escort war ships to launch the invasions.

I really am enjoying CORE.  I hope HOI2 comes with some of the political event features.  I should go read up on it.

#15 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:30 PM

Morrigan, on May 15th 2005, 08:06 PM, said:

I was down below 1000 coal, having converted some 60,000 to oil and that over to rubber in just a few months!

View Post

That is why conversion techs are so crucial.  Especially in CORE where the conversion ratios and resource distribution make germany that much more difficult.

Morrigan, on May 15th 2005, 08:06 PM, said:

I'm going to try to take Malta and mayb even Gibraltar at some point.

View Post

In all the games I have played I have never forced the capture of those pesky Mediterranean strong holds.  The AI almost always leaves a few units there and makes sure to reenforce their positions with forts.  Also as germany I tend to ignore marines making island assaults that much more difficult.  Sometimes I get lucky and find them undefended but more often then not I just have to work around them.  

So after my successful invasion of England I got the new order east event to fire in mid 40.  I lost a bunch of IC but made England my puppet and I no longer have to devote troops to defending them, also I still get to take all their resources which I like.  In case any of you are wondering to get new order west to fire you need france, the british isles, suez, Port Said and Alexandria.  

One other unfortunate side effect is that the USA declared war on me.  So now they are doing fun things like landing troops on my newly reclaimed south pacific colonies.  Not that they are important in the grand scheme of things but still.

#16 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:37 PM

Jard, on May 15th 2005, 11:30 PM, said:

So after my successful invasion of England I got the new order east event to fire in mid 40.  I lost a bunch of IC but made England my puppet and I no longer have to devote troops to defending them, also I still get to take all their resources which I like.  In case any of you are wondering to get new order west to fire you need france, the british isles, suez, Port Said and Alexandria. 

What is this "new order east" and "new order west" you speak of?

#17 Jard

Jard

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:20 AM

dojoboy, on May 15th 2005, 08:37 PM, said:

What is this "new order east" and "new order west" you speak of?

View Post

CORE has a series of events for both the East and West that fire if Germany is beating the crap out of their enemies in that direction.  You saw the new order east event already when you triggered the bitter peace.  New order west basically puppets england(and returns the isles to them), returns occupied france to the vichy, it also gives you some far flung colonies(islands in the south pacific, parts of central and west africa).  British Caribbean bases are seized by the us and they declare war on you.  One of the best parts is that you can create convoys from all the far flung French and British possessions.  You have to have the transports, and my navy is in a sorry state trying to guard that much ocean but I have been following the z-plan so I will have a good sized navy eventually.  The most obnoxious thing is that often Australia will size a large chunk of the british fleet, at least that is what happened last time.  That means an other couple years before I can control the Sea.

#18 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:14 AM

That is why conversion techs are so crucial. Especially in CORE where the conversion ratios and resource distribution make germany that much more difficult.
I've kept my industrial techs at top priority since 1936. Finally in early 1941 I managed to get .75 oil to rubber conversion.

My paradrops on Crete, Cyprus, and Suez were unopposed. I wonder if the UK lost some units due to lack of supply after i took the home islands. I invited Italy to my side and they took Malta about 30 seconds before my marines were to land, drat! I'll slide on over to Gibraltar once the Brits are out of Egypt. I have annexed Egypt and hold the holy city of Jerusalem and the Sainai (sp?).

That New Order West event fired, I declined, I don't want to give up my beautiful summer homes in Bordeaux and the Orkneys. Having Iraq as a puppet might have been good though... Could you guys explain how puppet vs annexation works when it comes to resources and manpower? I'm not sure what the advantages are of those two options.

#19 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:39 AM

Morrigan, on May 16th 2005, 11:14 AM, said:

Could you guys explain how puppet vs annexation works when it comes to resources and manpower? I'm not sure what the advantages are of those two options.

View Post

Something to think about is the IC +/- regarding annexation.  On the flip side, puppets provide a percentage of their resoucres.

#20 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

I ended up needing far fewer forces than I had planned.  After capturing London, the UK forces had no morale for continued resistance.  Ireland joined the Axis.  Also, Gibraltar has fallen to General von Kuchler's mech/mot infantry divisions.  In North Africa, 7 German divisions from the Caucasus region were used rather than a massive landing from Europe.  I'm going to deploy more troop to Baku for a offensive in India.

British Isles Offensive
Posted Image

As a result of German occupation of the British Isles, the USA demanded a cease fire or else war.  I opted for on-going negotiations, but they declared war anyway.  In response, I brought Japan into the Axis alliance.

Posted Image